Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Adios!
logo.gif
spacer.gif

Compliance Deadline is Near for Private Aircraft Border Crossing Flights

Notice Number: NOTC1646

The Deadline is Approaching for Compliance With the New Department of Homeland Security Rule Affecting Private Aircraft on International Flights
On December 18, 2008, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), U.S. Bureau of Customs and Border Protection (CBP) issued a new rule that affects private aircraft operating on international flights. The rule, Title 19 CFR Part 122, is titled 'Advanced Information on Private Aircraft Arriving and Departing the United States'. Compliance with this new regulation has been voluntary since December 18, 2008, however, compliance becomes mandatory effective May 18, 2009. The DHS Final Rule can be viewed at: http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2008/pdf/E8-26621.pdf
Beginning May 18, 2009, all general aviation flights arriving into or departing out of the U.S. require the pilot to electronically submit crew and passenger manifests and other flight information to the CBP at least 60 minutes prior to departure. This information must be submitted to the CBP using their Electronic Advance Passenger Information System (eAPIS) website or through an authorized third party vendor. This new rule does not apply to domestic flights.
Pilots failing to meet these reporting requirements can be fined $5,000 for the first violation and $10,000 for each subsequent violation.
Pilots are encouraged to become familiar with the CBP crew and passenger manifest reporting requirements prior to planning any flights across the U.S. borders. More information can be found at the U.S Customs and Border Protection website: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/pleasure_boats/private_flyers/
Pilots are also advised to register their information with the CBP eAPIS website and begin using the system now for international flights even prior to the May 18, 2009 deadline. Information on how to register with eAPIS can be found at: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/inspections_carriers_facilities/apis/e_apis_information.xml
Be informed and fly safely!

FWIW......

Good luck getting that done in the Bahamas. The Police State commeth.

Just wait until they apply it to people returning by car. Do you feel safer? I don't.

Make sure you print a copy of your email confirmation and have it with you on re-entry -- you could beat the notification to the airport where you clear customs.

Good luck getting that done in the Bahamas. The Police State commeth.
I'm having trouble figuring out how you think the Bahamas are a "Police State," and even if it is, how that will prevent you from using eAPIS. So far, folks using the system from there are not having any significant problems.

I'm having trouble figuring out how you think the Bahamas are a "Police State," and even if it is, how that will prevent you from using eAPIS. So far, folks using the system from there are not having any significant problems.

You should learn to read. The Police State is here, where you have to ask the government for permission to leave the country. The reference to the Bahamas was made because I am told (with zero first hand experience) that there are locales lacking in an internet connection. I am certain that's the case in many spots in Mexico. So not only do we loose some of our freedom, but we have to pay the jackals who are enforcing this nonsense. I hope all this security theatre makes you feel a lot safer. You seem to like it.

You should learn to read. The Police State is here, where you have to ask the government for permission to leave the country. The reference to the Bahamas was made because I am told (with zero first hand experience) that there are locales lacking in an internet connection. I am certain that's the case in many spots in Mexico. So not only do we loose some of our freedom, but we have to pay the jackals who are enforcing this nonsense. I hope all this security theatre makes you feel a lot safer. You seem to like it.

+ a billion. Let's all bend over and take it like good little sheeple. If cars and trucks, and buses are exempt, why aren't planes?

You should learn to read.
Sorry, that was uncalled for. Your original post was somewhat ambiguous.
The Police State is here, where you have to ask the government for permission to leave the country. The reference to the Bahamas was made because I am told (with zero first hand experience) that there are locales lacking in an internet connection. I am certain that's the case in many spots in Mexico. So not only do we loose some of our freedom, but we have to pay the jackals who are enforcing this nonsense. I hope all this security theatre makes you feel a lot safer. You seem to like it.
I agree that the security state is here. When I hear people ASKING for national ID cards that's clear to me.

That being said, they did make some changes to the rule that can help when going to locales without internet connections, which is certainly quite possible in Canada, as well. You can file both ends of the trip before departure. Still a police state, and you still are much more tied to a strict itinerary, but at least it's better than the original proposal.

Getting a reliable internet connection or access can be problematic at times in the Bahamas, especially the out islands.

The reference to the Bahamas was made because I am told (with zero first hand experience) that there are locales lacking in an internet connection.
Since CBP has approved alternate means to make the notification when there is no internet available (including filing eAPIS both ways before leaving), that doesn't lock you out from those locales unless you are totally incommunicado. In that case, you won't be able to make the notification of arrival or file your inbound flight plan, either, so you'll have to make an intermediate stop somewhere else from which you can communicate with the USA anyway.

The reference to the Bahamas was made because I am told (with zero first hand experience) that there are locales lacking in an internet connection.

There are a few out island airports of NaDa, and from one of those you can still get your clearance. What I have done in the past, and was told I could still do is file the round trip before I leave, and call in for the inbound. You do need an International Plan GSM phone to get on Batelco. AT&T is $2min and T-Mobile $3. You can pretty much call from anywhere on Batelco. Thing is, most likely where you had lunch, had WiFi that you could hook onto for $10. Lots of Wifi potential since it has been commercialized. Remember, the connections are all satellite and ssslllllooooowwwwwwwwwwwww....

I can see, in the not to distant future, any citizens who desires to travel out of the safety and security of our great country, be implanted with a GPS trackable implant chip. This will be done for the travelers own safety. A small, chip registration fee will be required to be paid for each trip. As long as all your travel papers, passports, and such are in order, I can not envision any U.S. Citizen having any problems traveling to approved countries.

John

Last edited:
I can see, in the not to distant future, any citizens who desires to travel out of the safety and security of our great country, be implanted with a GPS trackable implant chip. This will be done for the travelers own safety. A small, chip registration fee will be required to be payed for each trip. As long as all your travel papers, passports, and such are in order, I can not envision any U.S. Citizen having any problems traveling to approved countries.

John
FYI the new US passports ARE implanted with a small RFID chip. That chip can be interrogated at a distance.

So what happens when that chip is corrupted? For a small fee you can upgrade with a security chip as it's companion.

BTW, maybe there are RFIDs embedded in our Cheerios already.

So what happens when that chip is corrupted? For a small fee you can upgrade with a security chip as it's companion.

BTW, maybe there are RFIDs embedded in our Cheerios already.
I would imagine that you will be required to get a new passport.

Even with the old paper ones that would happen. If the passport was damaged in some way, like being washed, you would have to get a new one. My last passport had to be replaced early. But that was due to me getting the standard size one, running out of pages and getting extra pages inserted, running out of all of those pages and then getting a 2nd extra page set. When those ran out Customs told me they would no longer accept that passport and that I can only get two sets of pages inserted. So I had to order a new passport. This time I ordered the 46 page version right off the bat. I still have 6 pages in that one.

The passport with the smart chip in it also has optical character reading letters on the ID page as well as the usual picture and info. So there is a back up to chip failure. Eventually the US Gov is talking of adding biometric data to the chip. The only biometric data on the chip now is a copy of your photo. But next could be fingerprint, retina scan, DNA, etc. Who knows.

I forgot to add that in order to travel out of the country, a small background check will be required to insure that the traveler is a citizen in good standing. No back child or spousal support, no unpaid taxes or open arrest warrants. Chips in passports will not be accepted, the chip must be surgically implanted in the traveler.

All of this within the next twenty or so years probably. A good American should have no problem complying with these simple procedures from their own government, after all, it is for the travelers own good.

John

The purpose of my tongue in cheek observations is to point out, that the new regulations we have now, are probably nothing like what we will see in the future.

As our government, and population continues to grow, at a pace that just a few years ago would have been thought unimaginable, so do our laws and regulations. Compare the travel requirements and regulations of the 1960s, to now.

In 1963 I flew on a major airline from Salt Lake City to Los Angeles with a fully loaded S&W 38 snub nose strapped to my belt, under my jacket. I know the stewardess saw it. Unimaginable even thinking about such an action today. ( or referring to them as a stewardess)

How thick was the FARs book in 1970, how thick is it for 2009?

Every year, we are regulated more and more. Just a little bit at a time, we relinquish our rights and our freedoms. There is no logical reason to conclude that this will ever stop. Enjoy what we have available to us today, it is not going to last.

John

Last edited:
IN MIAMI FL. YOU CAN CALL WAY IN ADVANCE TO THE GENERAL AVIATION CBP ON MIAMI INTERNATIONAL GIVING THE DAY AND TIME WITH 2 HOURS OF APROXIMATION THIS WORKS 24/7 USED EVERY WEEK NEVER HAVE ANY PROBLEM .FORGET ABOUT BATELCO WORKS ON OFF WITH POOR SERVICES SPECIALLY OUTERS ISLANDS.GOOD LUCK

I love all the complaining in this thread that ended up being a total non-issue.

Hi, what happen a if someone bust a corner and exceeds by 500 ft a floor of bravo airspace and imediatly after 1 minute descends?. And the pilot is on the frecuency of a golf airport heading towards a delta controlled airspace, both within bravo 30 nm veil?. Coms where not stablishex with the bravotower. Does the bravo tower has a way of knowing the airplane?

Hi, what happen a if someone bust a corner and exceeds by 500 ft a floor of bravo airspace and imediatly after 1 minute descends?. And the pilot is on the frecuency of a golf airport heading towards a delta controlled airspace, both within bravo 30 nm veil?. Coms where not stablishex with the bravotower. Does the bravo tower has a way of knowing the airplane?
It depends.

The Bravo tower can notify approach. Approach can follow you to destination Delta tower. When you check with the Delta tower, you are identified. It happens. -Skip

The Bravo tower can notify approach. Approach can follow you to destination Delta tower. When you check with the Delta tower, you are identified. It happens. -Skip

So by the time he gets to the delta Tower in order to land he is not notified to call a number it means he was not tracked?

So by the time he gets to the delta Tower in order to land he is not notified to call a number it means he was not tracked?

Or he isn't greeted by the spectactical clown squad.

This thread's been going for 7 years now. 4th resurrection. I'm setting my alarm for this time next year. :)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back