Freakin' Thieves!!!!

OkieFlyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew L.
Went down to the airport on this fine Sunday morning to charge up some of my RC airplanes and get ready to fly some toy airplanes this afternoon. On my way into the airport grounds, I noticed our electric gate was in the open position. It's the type that requires a code to get in, but opens automagically with a sensor on the way out. I thought maybe the gate had broken as it has a time or two in the past, and didn't think too much of it. Then I pulled up to my hangar and noticed it was open slightly. My heart sank and I prepared to walk in and see a busted up airplane, perhaps missing radios or GPS, or my hangar cleaned out.
Well, the airplane appears to have not been tampered with. Doors were closed, headsets present, panel intact, airframe undamaged. Whew!!!
However, the bass-turds made off with a bunch of my tools, two RC airplanes, 3 RC airplane engines, and a few other sundries. It appears to have been some dumb kids that just wanted to grad the easy stuff and scram. I have an ATV, a golf cart, a trailer with a boat engine on it, and 4 other RC airplanes that are each worth 5 times the ones they stole in the hangar also. I lucked out in that regard.
My hangar neighbor really got hit hard. They little punks got in his hangar and made off with a..........wait for it............box of shop towels. I don't know how he's going to replace that.

Anywho, I guess I got lucky considering all the valuables that could have been taken and the damage that could have been inflicted upon me old Cessna. Guess I'm going to have to install a security cam now.

Here's a twist: On Labor Day, a good buddy of mine went out to the field to do some mowing and happened on to some teenagers sitting at the airport gate in a pick-up truck. They were in his way so they moved their vehicle to the side, but they remained near the gate and were all looking in the direction of the hangars. My friend thought they looked suspicious, and drove on over to the hangars to see if anything looked tampered with. Everything looked fine, so he drove on around where he could see the kids at the gate again. They remained, and looked as though they were waiting for someone, but by friend didn't see anyone. Soon, the boys took off in a hurry away from the airport, but stopped about a quarter mile down the road. A minute or two later, they hauled arse out of there. His thought at the time was that somebody may have hopped the airport fence and ran down the other side of the berm that runs along the fence, and met back up with the vehicle down the road. I suspect these boys were up to no good, and may have been casing the place. I'd bet that they are the culprits. Fortunately, from the description of the boys and their vehicle, and after getting in touch with our high school football coach, I think I may know who one of the boys is. The coach also told me that the boy that drives that vehicle is indeed a hoodlum and that he wouldn't be a bit surprised if he did something like this. I'm going down to the school in the morning to get a pic of his truck to have my friend identify if it is the one he saw that day. I'm also going to take a peek in the bed to see if there is any evidence in there. Of course I'll let the cops do their work from there.

I HATE A THIEF!!!!!!!!

@OkieFlyer , sorry to hear about your loss of stuff. Just reading it made me angry.

How'd they get into your hangar? Do you have a metal door on the front of the hangar? Does it have a dead bolt?

I wonder if they were watching the keypad to see what people punched in to open the gate? Like some do at ATMs.

Time for a video system with a recorder. The local police here have jailed one and got video on a second one the other day. It's better than me showing up with my 12 gauge when the alarm goes off - again ...

Unfortunately it's time to place security cameras,cost money ,but well worth ,having a silent security system.

That really sucks. It definitely sounds like those kids are a probable lead. They should've been reported when they were loitering around the airport in a suspicious manner - that by itself is the reason for that "See something say something" mantra.

Hope you catch 'em...

Is the crime and or punishment more severe because it took place on an airport?

Is the crime and or punishment more severe because it took place on an airport?

I would think. If they unlawfully gained access to the airport property then that by itself I believe ends up getting to the federal level.

File a report, make sure the police alert the pawn shops.

As a former burglary/pawn shop detail detective, I suggest that victims go to pawn shops and scondhand stores themselves. They will recognize their property, and if it isn't there yet, leave photos of your stolen items (if you have some), or at least good, detailed descriptions.

Check craigslist as well. If you see your things, contact law enforcement right away, before making any attempt to contact the thief.

If your town has a Next Door forum or a Facebook page for locals to chat about what's going on in town (You Know You're From ______ .... types of groups), post the info including pictures.

If you find your things, call the department who took the report right away. If the store is in a different jurisdiction, call that agency as well.

Patrol officers are generally too busy to do pawn shop followup, plus they are probably not very conversant with pawn shop regulations. The report will take at least a couple days to reach the detective bureau, and once it does it's competing for attention with numerous other cases. A typical morning saw each of our property crimes detectives add three to five more cases to the 15-20 cases that they were already actively working.

Call the detective bureau, find out if your case has been assigned, and try to have contact with the investigator. Tell him what you have done, such as checking secondhand stores and pawnshops, and monitoring craigslist. That way, he does not have to duplicate effort, and he'll see that you are about 95% more involved than most victims.

File a report, make sure the police alert the pawn shops.

Report is filed. Unfortunately, the cops suck and I've been having to do the detective work myself. Will be visiting pawn shops today. Unfortunately, we have none in my small town, so I have to drive about 30 miles in every direction to hit the nearest shops.

@OkieFlyer , sorry to hear about your loss of stuff. Just reading it made me angry.

How'd they get into your hangar? Do you have a metal door on the front of the hangar? Does it have a dead bolt?

Sliding steel door with a pad lock. They broke the lock with a pipe wrench.

I wonder if they were watching the keypad to see what people punched in to open the gate? Like some do at ATMs.

That's not even necessary in this case. All one needs do is go in the walk-through gate or hop a fence, go around to the inside of the electric drive through gate, and trip the photo eye sensor and the gate will open up. Not very secure.

That really sucks. It definitely sounds like those kids are a probable lead. They should've been reported when they were loitering around the airport in a suspicious manner - that by itself is the reason for that "See something say something" mantra.

Hope you catch 'em...

True dat. Hindsight is 20/20.

The good news is, by doing my own detective work, I think I know who at least two of the culprits are. I was out and about at 6:30 this morning following leads and have found the vehicle that was seen snooping around. I staked it our for awhile and saw a few boys, two maybe three of which matched my friends description, congregate at the truck after their morning weight lifting session. Upon speaking with the some school faculty and staff, whom I know personally, I have found that the boys matching the description are known to be troublesome and have caused the school a good bit of grief. I have many ears awaiting any mention of shenanigans that may have gone on. I also have measurements of tire tracks left at the scene of the crime and will make a comparison as soon as I get an opportunity.

I just want my crap back. I don't want these rabble-rousers to get booted out of school or go to jail. They are boys and are minors and they need to be in school and on that football field if they are to have any hope of turning out to be decent men. Getting them kicked out of school or worse would be the worst thing for them. If I become convinced that it was them, I would prefer to get with their parents and settle it among us and keep the boys in school.

Another twist: One of the boys in question is my cousin.

Keep in mind, this is a town of less than 3000 people and I've been a part of it for 34 years. We don't always follow the same protocol as a large town. Most of us know each other and the kids. Not that we are vigilantes, but if we can, we may settle things involving kids between the parents. I'm sure the football coach can come up with some good disciplinary actions as well. Yeah, it's like Varsity Blues.

@OkieFlyer I like the cut of your jib.

Urban Dictionary for those who don't know what that means: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=I like the cut of your Jib

Urban Dictionary said:
a far classier version of "i like your style", originally used by pirates in the 17th century the expression refers to the forward sail on most ships. The course and speed of a ship is determined by the cut of the ships jib so saying that you like the cut of someones jib is a way of saying, i like the way you're heading.

I agree that them getting booted out of school would be a virtual a guarantee to get them on a bad path for their adult lives. But they should realize that they ought to change their ways and came very close to jail time. Breaking a lock to get into your hangar is breaking and entering, which on an airport could get them into a real heap of trouble because of the federal implications, regardless of whether or not they touched the aircraft.

Who says they want to be in school or even graduate?

Unfortunately, the cops suck

No, they don't. They are overworked and understaffed. Fortunately, tax hikes can fix that.

When I was a teenager, the threat of jail stopped me from doing certain activities. I never broke and entered with the intent to steal, but it stopped me from a lot of, let say just general rowdiness. Whenever I was caught misbehaving and only got a "good talking to", I pretty much believed I got away with it.

...I know personally, I have found that the boys matching the description are known to be troublesome and have caused the school a good bit of grief...
...I don't want these rabble-rousers to get booted out of school or go to jail. They are boys and are minors and they need to be in school and on that football field if they are to have any hope of turning out to be decent men. Getting them kicked out of school or worse would be the worst thing for them. If I become convinced that it was them, I would prefer to get with their parents and settle it among us and keep the boys in school...
Maybe they just need a hug. Sounds like you're the guy to give them the hug. That will make it all better.
Why did you call the police if A) "the cops suck", and B) you don't want the kids in trouble?

Patrol officers are generally too busy to do pawn shop followup, plus they are probably not very conversant with pawn shop regulations. The report will take at least a couple days to reach the detective bureau, and once it does it's competing for attention with numerous other cases. ...

Yeah, writing traffic tickets, busting kids for pot, having road blockades, that takes a lot of resources

Flying down in helicopters to remove pot plants, complete with high angle assult teams, that takes time too.

Too bad the police are more interested in victimless crimes, than helping victims of crime.

But yeah, I'm sure they'll give you a pretty report, perhaps you could frame it and hang it in your hangar.

Who says they want to be in school or even graduate?

No, they don't. They are overworked and understaffed. Fortunately, tax hikes can fix that.

When I was a teenager, the threat of jail stopped me from doing certain activities. I never broke and entered with the intent to steal, but it stopped me from a lot of, let say just general rowdiness. Whenever I was caught misbehaving and only got a "good talking to", I pretty much believed I got away with it.

Firstly, these kids are actually pretty sharp from what I've heard. A couple are fine athletes. I think they've gotten into a little weed smoking and went looking for some quick pot money. They've been causing some trouble for sure, and I would hope something as serious as this would be dealt with seriously by his folks. I happen to think these kids will probably straighten up eventually if they are kept amongst good teachers and coaches. I know one kid's dad quite well. He was a hellion when he was a youngster, as were most of the boys in his family. Most turned out OK, but boy did they raise hell back in the day.

Secondly, I didn't mean that all cops suck. I mean our cops suck. I could go on for many paragraphs about out why, but in this case, I will just say that he took no notes, took only one picture of the broken lock, didn't even look at the myriad of items that had been handles by the thieves, didn't look at the tire tracks leaving the scene, didn't put in any effort at all. He spent maybe 5 minutes on the crime scene (that's generous), then we spent the next 10 minutes talking about all his certifications and schools he's been to, then about 45 minutes about how he should go about pursuing his pilots license. Trust me, in this three stoplight town, we know our police officers personally in most cases. They are underpaid, but they are nowhere close to overworked. They can usually be found at one of four speed trap locations. I'm all for the police as a whole, and I believe that they've been getting crapped on a lot in recent years, but the Lindsay, OK police force doesn't do a good job. It's unfortunate, but I will still call them when they are needed, and hope they improve. They lack leadership.

Last edited:
Maybe they just need a hug. Sounds like you're the guy to give them the hug. That will make it all better.
Why did you call the police if A) "the cops suck", and B) you don't want the kids in trouble?

No sir. I don't want to give anyone a hug. I'm freaking ****ed about having my crap stolen. BUT, I think staying in school in the best chance for most of these boys. At the time, I didn't have any idea who the culprits were. I will always call the cops for something like this, whether they suck or not. Here's the thing, I doubt the police will do anything about this. We know that when minors get in trouble around here, the police inform the school and let them do something about it. They say their hands are tied. Most of the time, the school can't do anything about it other than let the parents know what's going on. On the other hand, as football players, they will usually get to run till they puke for while, or something like that, if they get in trouble. Many times, punishment by the parents is enough get some of these kids straightened up. If this is a first time offense for these boys, getting in trouble by the parents (if they are willing to punish), by the school, by the coach, being made to apologize in person, and people at church and the other 2800 people in the community finding out about it is probably enough to get their attention. Let them know they aren't as sneaky as they think they are, and they may never do something like that again. If they don't straighten up, drop the hammer. Call me crazy, but that's how I see it. If they were repeat offenders and real hoodlums, I'd see it differently.

In a town where everybody knows everybody, public shame can have quite an effect on a wayward youngster.

Last edited:
Since it was on airport property, it might be out of the parents hands.

Since it was on airport property, it might be out of the parents hands.

It might. If that is the case, then I'm good with it. I didn't mean to give the impression that I don't want to see them punished or that I don't want justice served. I just know there's more than one way to skin a cat.

As I said though, I'd be surprised if the police did much about it.

Firstly, these kids are actually pretty sharp from what I've heard. A couple are fine athletes. I think they've gotten into a little weed smoking and went looking for some quick pot money. They've been causing some trouble for sure, and I would hope something as serious as this would be dealt with seriously by his folks.

Perhaps they are good kids but it appears to me they had these CRIMES, and they are crimes, planned out pretty good. So they're football players in HS you'd cut them some slack? Why? If I were coach and they were found to be conducting crimes, like stealing from those in their community, they'd be off the team.

It might. If that is the case, then I'm good with it. I didn't mean to give the impression that I don't want to see them punished or that I don't want justice served. I just know there's more than one way to skin a cat.

As I said though, I'd be surprised if the police did much about it.
What exactly could the police do? Proving B&E or burglary is pretty tough wit nothing more than circumstantial evidence. They could try to get a confession but that's a long shot. Best thing for them to do is try to generate revenue for the town by manning the speed traps. Anything else is wishful thinking.

Perhaps they are good kids but it appears to me they had these CRIMES, and they are crimes, planned out pretty good. So they're football players in HS you'd cut them some slack? Why? If I were coach and they were found to be conducting crimes, like stealing from those in their community, they'd be off the team.

Clearly you didn't have a mother who thought she was Jewish (with no disrespect intended to my Jewish friends).

If you boot a person out of a group/institution, then that is the punishment. Sure, you can remember that time you got kicked off the football team, but then that person will surround himself with his hoodlum friends who'll be all "F them" etc. There will be some continued punishment as a result of it, but it's not at all the same as losing your multi-million dollar job on a pro football team like what you get when you're booted off the New York Packers (or whatever team it is).

If you keep the person within that group/institution, then you can extend the punishment for a longer period of time. You can use your authority to make sure they know you haven't forgotten and that you're still disappointed in them. As Okie suggested, make them run until they puke. Give them crappy jobs that nobody wants. Make it obvious their position has been knocked down to the bottom because of their actions. Let them feel the shame every day.

Everyone is different and the best form of punishment is going to depend. Some kids are going to look at it as "I got away with it" and need to go to jail to get the point. Some will work better kept in the circle and punished that way. And some will just be lifelong criminals. Hopefully they can figure out the appropriate options that steer them back on the right path.

Years ago when I had an outboard motor stolen off my boat, I put up a "reward for information" sign in the local deli / convenience store (this was a small town). Nothing happened for months, then I got a call from another kid, naming the thief and where he and the motor could be found. I called the cops (again) and they went down, found the kid with the motor, and arrested him... they already knew him, of course, the local punk, and he was already on probation for burglary. The kid who called me with the information said he wouldn't have called, but there was a dispute involving a girlfriend... no honor among thieves.

I understand that many others would do just that, and I understand where they are coming from. However, I think they should be given a choice. Either stay in school and stay on the team and pay a penance including suspension from game play for an extended period of time, a crap load of running or other fairly extreme physical activity, some sort of service like reading to elementary school kids, helping the grounds keepers with school upkeep, helping the janitors, etc., or be kicked off the team and suspended or expelled from school. I'm saying provide some sort of punishment that will make the kid squirm, and also require him/them to do some sort of meaningful character building service. Keep them close to the school where they belong at this stage in their life, or risk losing some potentially decent future men to the dark side forever. If the young man is sorry at all and possesses much character at all, he'll stay and pay the penance, if not, peace out playa. We are a close knit community with very, very little crime. I believe much of that is because we deal with many of our young trouble makers in this manner. It may sound very silly to other folks, but allowing the parents, coaches, faculty, church members to try to correct our young people before they feel the long arm of the law has done our community much good over the years, in my opinion. In many cases, young punks like these end up being valued members of the community with some direction and most importantly, maturity. I can name a number of individuals off the top of my head who, by the letter of the law, should have done time. I believe they would still be bad guys today if that had happened. By the same token, I know several individuals who said screw it and walked away from the offer to stay and take alternative punishment. Many are still in and out of jail today.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I see it both ways. I prefer to offer immature young d-bags a chance to take some punishment, do some meaningful service, learn a some lessons, and come out better men on the other side. To me, that is being accountable for our young people and having a vested interest and actually caring how they turn out as a community.

As a side note: Back in my high school football days, I was fortunate to have number of excellent young men along side me as leaders of our team. We were respected, and we took that seriously. Our coaches, at our request, allowed us to handle team discipline as the chosen captains of the team. We had some issues, and we dealt with them swiftly, and as a result, had a strong group of players that were just like family. Nobody on the team even drank because the team voted to refrain, and the captains enforced it. Might sound square to some of you, but we were interested not only in winning football games, but being good leaders and earning the respect of our community. Good times they were.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about hanging this on the locker room door before football practice this afternoon. I figured it would cause one of the little pukes to squeal and maybe get this resolved before my stuff is long gone. My motivation for trying to force this is because one of the items is irreplaceable and I really want it back. What do you think. Good idea? Bad idea?

kThwnXrAQJ3liUKzdQDsBxIbI9IpatBm4YHKx8cXAmAZ0TC0U2fu0L4FfFPV3M8w8KRUYbvJrIyeuiS6Gnet4-x0c3bkcLS2twtFkg-EvWE4vxfIF65e68TA9_beXWhK5UriSC6cPmWgNmpBWnljyLjhOjtcW3LKQrWNnRCgrhyNcG4NXFs5R-R8mVrgT-bgN94rSltgh2SrV29bQ5X3uG1jwP9inkObhsCxCzM2jM6d2YBEnvPVn2UMt0M9mY__TSWUFHBDQwo9I7Y6FMOFSPVLOlOvfkmac3tN1xNqPqNbXi3V7wd77RcOaNtQz4V1qGbZnhFJ_7dxAa0FBLGmtPwOiS1COZI_5la66KAzRzJo-MpYMG_AEh01UxeHuKgw8ShBeABkiykQxY296BY1Mdw_2phO6feALk0MLBdMS4w7U038t5rhuezYvAaE5F00ERQSYEd4zihKKu2g2gQ2zlx6vS7IpX60Zn1kyP139bB0_Ah-O7PCAHiVkp3_AISYa-bDORJl3L4FItJkEcQUKCqMHwRlECzTRq7zGgqoD8A5O9tNo28Ys8h5MaHIBane8RbGb3yTKjJqm8YXJtgJij9ttx29qtfU40CFASbl-Q=w566-h744-no

I like it. Worth doing.

I'm thinking about hanging this on the locker room door before football practice this afternoon. I figured it would cause one of the little pukes to squeal and maybe get this resolved before my stuff is long gone. My motivation for trying to force this is because one of the items is irreplaceable and I really want it back. What do you think. Good idea? Bad idea?

kThwnXrAQJ3liUKzdQDsBxIbI9IpatBm4YHKx8cXAmAZ0TC0U2fu0L4FfFPV3M8w8KRUYbvJrIyeuiS6Gnet4-x0c3bkcLS2twtFkg-EvWE4vxfIF65e68TA9_beXWhK5UriSC6cPmWgNmpBWnljyLjhOjtcW3LKQrWNnRCgrhyNcG4NXFs5R-R8mVrgT-bgN94rSltgh2SrV29bQ5X3uG1jwP9inkObhsCxCzM2jM6d2YBEnvPVn2UMt0M9mY__TSWUFHBDQwo9I7Y6FMOFSPVLOlOvfkmac3tN1xNqPqNbXi3V7wd77RcOaNtQz4V1qGbZnhFJ_7dxAa0FBLGmtPwOiS1COZI_5la66KAzRzJo-MpYMG_AEh01UxeHuKgw8ShBeABkiykQxY296BY1Mdw_2phO6feALk0MLBdMS4w7U038t5rhuezYvAaE5F00ERQSYEd4zihKKu2g2gQ2zlx6vS7IpX60Zn1kyP139bB0_Ah-O7PCAHiVkp3_AISYa-bDORJl3L4FItJkEcQUKCqMHwRlECzTRq7zGgqoD8A5O9tNo28Ys8h5MaHIBane8RbGb3yTKjJqm8YXJtgJij9ttx29qtfU40CFASbl-Q=w566-h744-no

Except it was not a robbery, it was theft.

Otherwise looks good.

One thing I'd probably do is put it up, let it sit a day or two. If you don't hear anything, have the coach read it to the team and have him look the kids in the eye who you suspect.

I understand that many others would do just that, and I understand where they are coming from. However, I think they should be given a choice. Either stay in school and stay on the team and pay a penance including suspension from game play for an extended period of time, a crap load of running or other fairly extreme physical activity, some sort of service like reading to elementary school kids, helping the grounds keepers with school upkeep, helping the janitors, etc., or be kicked off the team and suspended or expelled from school. I'm saying provide some sort of punishment that will make the kid squirm, and also require him/them to do some sort of meaningful character building service. Keep them close to the school where they belong at this stage in their life, or risk losing some potentially decent future men to the dark side forever. If the young man is sorry at all and possesses much character at all, he'll stay and pay the penance, if not, peace out playa. We are a close knit community with very, very little crime. I believe much of that is because we deal with many of our young trouble makers in this manner. It may sound very silly to other folks, but allowing the parents, coaches, faculty, church members to try to correct our young people before they feel the long arm of the law has done our community much good over the years, in my opinion. In many cases, young punks like these end up being valued members of the community with some direction and most importantly, maturity. I can name a number of individuals off the top of my head who, by the letter of the law, should have done time. I believe they would still be bad guys today if that had happened. By the same token, I know several individuals who said screw it and walked away from the offer to stay and take alternative punishment. Many are still in and out of jail today.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I see it both ways. I prefer to offer immature young d-bags a chance to take some punishment, do some meaningful service, learn a some lessons, and come out better men on the other side. To me, that is being accountable for our young people and having a vested interest and actually caring how they turn out as a community.

As a side note: Back in my high school football days, I was fortunate to have number of excellent young men along side me as leaders of our team. We were respected, and we took that seriously. Our coaches, at our request, allowed us to handle team discipline as the chosen captains of the team. We had some issues, and we dealt with them swiftly, and as a result, had a strong group of players that were just like family. Nobody on the team even drank because the team voted to refrain, and the captains enforced it. Might sound square to some of you, but we were interested not only in winning football games, but being good leaders and earning the respect of our community. Good times they were.

Nah, these were not 10 year olds, if it wasn't for our never ending childhood society, for all logical reasons they are adults, I'd say they ether need a few years behind bars, or maybe just to be dragged out back and beat to the point they'll be in crutches or a few casts for a few months.

Lol, unless these kids are super stupid and super timid, this will come off like a old man yelling "get off my lawn". Guessing there is a good chance they are stupid, but if they have enough misguided balls to do what they did, well I wouldn't waste the paper and ink.

Perhaps you and a good group of people could go bang on their parents door and go get your crap back, probably putting a little much needed fear into the dead beat parents and maybe even the looser kids at the same time.

I'd also post pictures of the kids and the parent after, be sure to post them all over the school and the parents work place, maybe a little picture of the police report too for credibility, when they feel their community turn on them, that will be the best lower risk thing to do.

Last edited:
One thing I'd probably do is put it up, let it sit a day or two. If you don't hear anything, have the coach read it to the team and have him look the kids in the eye who you suspect.

Good call. I figured it would at least generate some buzz and my many listening ears at school will hear something. At this point, the entire school faculty is listening. I suspect the boys involved will be acting very nervous once they see it. The teachers, coaches, and administrators will spot that quickly. I have a few teenage moles in there too.

Nah, these were not 10 year olds, if it wasn't for our never ending childhood society, for all logical reasons they are adults, I'd say they ether need a few years behind bars, or maybe just to be dragged out back and beat to the point they'll be in crutches or a few casts for a few months.

While I realize society tends to coddle kids for a long time anymore (which I'm against as a whole), it's obvious to me as an old codger that teenagers don't have the same maturity and understanding of actions vs. consequences that adults do. I don't see that fully develop in kids until their mid 20s typically. Plus just thinking about some of the things I did as a teenager. Now, would I have acted differently if the consequences were worse? In most cases I don't think I knew what the potential consequences were so if they were worse, I wouldn't have known that, either.

One thing old codgers like me get is that we were all stupid as teenagers, especially boys. I think the closer you are to the stupid phase the less forgiving you are of it. I know in my 20s I tended to be more of the type to rule with an iron fist, throw the book at 'em. As you get older and less stupid, I think you realize how much certain forks in the road can really screw up kids and send them on a bad path, and you realize that you really were pretty stupid, too, so you'd rather help other kids be less stupid than you were. One size doesn't fit all, either. Different kids will respond to different punishments, and even kids that will grow up to be upstanding members of society will do stupid things that they shouldn't do while kids.

We aren't talking about a murder or sexual assault here, we're talking about what amounts to petty theft. If they'd broken into Okie's garage and stolen the same items then the federal aspect wouldn't even be on the table. I'd seriously doubt they understand the federal aspect - it's just the small town sleepy little airport to them, I'd bet. They didn't even damage the airplane or steal anything out of it.

Now get off my lawn.

While I realize society tends to coddle kids for a long time anymore (which I'm against as a whole), it's obvious to me as an old codger that teenagers don't have the same maturity and understanding of actions vs. consequences that adults do. I don't see that fully develop in kids until their mid 20s typically. Plus just thinking about some of the things I did as a teenager. Now, would I have acted differently if the consequences were worse? In most cases I don't think I knew what the potential consequences were so if they were worse, I wouldn't have known that, either.

One thing old codgers like me get is that we were all stupid as teenagers, especially boys. I think the closer you are to the stupid phase the less forgiving you are of it. I know in my 20s I tended to be more of the type to rule with an iron fist, throw the book at 'em. As you get older and less stupid, I think you realize how much certain forks in the road can really screw up kids and send them on a bad path, and you realize that you really were pretty stupid, too, so you'd rather help other kids be less stupid than you were. One size doesn't fit all, either. Different kids will respond to different punishments, and even kids that will grow up to be upstanding members of society will do stupid things that they shouldn't do while kids.

We aren't talking about a murder or sexual assault here, we're talking about what amounts to petty theft. If they'd broken into Okie's garage and stolen the same items then the federal aspect wouldn't even be on the table. I'd seriously doubt they understand the federal aspect - it's just the small town sleepy little airport to them, I'd bet. They didn't even damage the airplane or steal anything out of it.

Now get off my lawn.

You climb over a fence and break into a hangar and steal stuff as a kid?? I did lots of dumb crap, but something like that never crossed my mind.

And I'm not talking about putting the idiot in front of a firing squad, or giving him a life sentence, I'm talking about a good beat down and publicly shaming the kid and his parents, better that then coddle him more, "kids will be kids"...even though we are not talking about 10yr olds, and wait a few more years for him to rob a 7/11 and end up doing major time, or taking a 12G to the chest, no? Because that is the path this criminal is on.

You climb over a fence and break into a hangar and steal stuff as a kid?? I did lots of dumb crap, but something like that never crossed my mind.

No, definitely not, and I'm not saying they should get off without anything. I think Okie's hoped for punishment is appropriate.

And I'm not talking about putting the idiot in front of a firing squad, or giving him a life sentence, I'm talking about a good beat down and publicly shaming the kid and his parents, better that then coddle him more, "kids will be kids"...even though we are not talking about 10yr olds, and wait a few more years for him to rob a 7/11 and end up doing major time, or taking a 12G to the chest, no? Because that is the path this criminal is on.

I think that's what Okie is advocating, too. I thought I read you advocate a couple years in jail, which I wouldn't support (but the law might). Or maybe I'm confusing you with someone else. You need to remember I'm old and I can't remember things like I used to. What you describe here I don't think is a lot different than Okie's proposed punishment path, and I agree with.

Point is making them realize the mistakes now rather than wait until the rob a 7/11 and get shot. Because if they rob a 7/11 and get shot, I have zero sympathy and would agree they got what was coming to them. And if they didn't get shot, I'd definitely advocate significant jail time.

Just my two cents...
Over a 27 year law enforcement career, the one way I could practically guarantee a repeated bad behavior was to let the first offense "off with a warning". There were times when I really hated being "the jerk cop" that never gave breaks, but I knew from experience that giving the break meant nothing changed. Its as if the offender thinks, "I can get away with it again."
Show me another way to get a person to change their behavior, I'd love to see it...
You mention shaming them in a small town...you do realize, that among the criminal mind set, that most actually take pride in their criminal behavior, not shame?...getting caught and/or arrested is considered "getting your cherry popped"?

No, definitely not, and I'm not saying they should get off without anything. I think Okie's hoped for punishment is appropriate.

I think that's what Okie is advocating, too. I thought I read you advocate a couple years in jail, which I wouldn't support (but the law might). Or maybe I'm confusing you with someone else. You need to remember I'm old and I can't remember things like I used to. What you describe here I don't think is a lot different than Okie's proposed punishment path, and I agree with.

Point is making them realize the mistakes now rather than wait until the rob a 7/11 and get shot. Because if they rob a 7/11 and get shot, I have zero sympathy and would agree they got what was coming to them. And if they didn't get shot, I'd definitely advocate significant jail time.

He's lucky he didn't take a round breaking into that hangar, say your wife was in there getting stuff out of the plane from your last fly in as someone violently was trying to break in??

I'm all for a hands off approach for dumb pranks, school fights, trespassing in a public park while drinking a high school beer with the girl friend, but this dude put thought into breaking into a hangar at a airport, I'm in a very quiet town too, but even with that there is a fence, and the hangar is all steel, this ain't like stealing a hotel towel here.

So yeah, best bet would be a beat down and later shaming of the idiot and parents, second bet would be a little jail, but frankly, hate to say it, chances are this idiot isn't going to be going on to curing cancer or anything, we all know this.

Back