Forward slip

Increase descent angle when flaps are insufficient non-existent

FIFY :D

My guess is the folks that are concerned about all the slipping have never flown a 65-horse taildragger with no flaps.

When I started on my endorsement in the Luscombe, the owner "warned" me that "Graham makes you do every approach power-off from the downwind."

That is because:
1. Graham does not want you to put your life in the hands of a 70-year old engine. If it quits, he wants it second-nature to get down safely.
2. Graham wants you to realize how the wind affects you on every leg and not conceal that with power.

Now you can do it power-off all the way down without slipping but you would have to be just perfect, and hope a random thermal does not screw up your best-laid plans. Better to stay high and slip. And as I said, this all started because I put in a forward slip and Graham commented "you can also slip it in the turn." We never got around to that before he signed me off so I wanted to work on it myself.

A few other things Graham "made me do":
  • Follow the runway centerline on upwind.
  • Have the correct crap in on crosswind.
  • Hold altitude as the speed decays after pulling power abeam the numbers.
  • Add power if needed on base and final if I misjudged but I had better not slip then carry power or vice versa on the same approach.
  • Keep the ball centered (that one is for you, Captain). He was on me all the time about that. In a climbing turn, the Luscombe can go from its totally impressive 300 fpm climb fully loaded to 0 fpm or even -50 fpm if you do not keep the ball in the center.
  • Get the stick in your belly.
  • Keep the xwind correction in on the runway after the wheels touch.
  • And a dozen other things
In other words, Graham insisted that I fly the airplane the way it is supposed to be flown; that I break the bad habits I had developed and that eight or so previous CFI's had given me a pass on. This of course applies to any airplane, not just a 65-horse taildragger with no flaps.

Last edited:
Why wouldn't a slip be recommended if it's also useful?

:confused:

I'd add to your list of advantages of slips:

• Forward visibility
  • Increase descent angle when flaps are insufficient

That's my personal preference for the airplanes I fly and instruct in, for primary students. I want them to be coordinated while turning.

That's my personal preference for the airplanes I fly and instruct in, for primary students. I want them to be coordinated while turning.

Absolutely, and even in the Luscombe, I did not start slipping in the turn until I had over 30 hours in it and was very comfortable with handling it.

An emphasis on coordinated turns is a very good thing, however, an absolute requirement instills bad aerodynamic assumptions.

The logic runs: Since slips result in ball deflection (and are thus "uncoordinated") they are therefore "bad" in the pattern. Therefore I should never slip. If I slip, I will be on the edge of disaster and the sooner I end it the better.

Then we wonder why students are frustrated/ confused when we tell them to fly uncoordinated down the runway to land in a crosswind.

It doesn't need fixing.

I've slipped a 40-degree flap Cessna to get down over trees and land on the first third of the runway just this weekend in Finleyville, PA (Trees on the end of the runway are the center of a political/ legal battle)

Lighten up, it is a joke.

I find that most of the diferences in opinion here are based on experience. Most folks have no concept of the seat of the pants flying that is needed to fly our vintage airplanes properly.

When most of my time was C-172 time, I also proclaimed that the slip was a maneuver used when the pilot misjudged the approach. What a load of dung. I was so arrogantly wrong.

Learning to fly my husband's 8A was a humbling experience and one that I now cherish.

In my 8E, unless conditions are perfect, I almost always slip. It's an efficient way for me to peg my airspeed on final in an airframe that is nose heavy.

I find it unsettling that so many CFIs are afraid of a slip. Have these folks tried to stall in a slip? My Luscombe will spin in a second, but in the most agressive slip I can get it to do, the stall is just little shudder. Drop the nose, and there ya go. We continue flying.

Sounds like some folks need to go out and do a little practicing.

BTW, practicing the falling leaf is an excellent way to get the feel of the airplane in the three point. ;-).

Deb

1948 Luscombe 8E
"Lester"

An emphasis on coordinated turns is a very good thing, however, an absolute requirement instills bad aerodynamic assumptions.

The logic runs: Since slips result in ball deflection (and are thus "uncoordinated") they are therefore "bad" in the pattern. Therefore I should never slip. If I slip, I will be on the edge of disaster and the sooner I end it the better.

Then we wonder why students are frustrated/ confused when we tell them to fly uncoordinated down the runway to land in a crosswind.

1) I'm okay with slipping in the pattern. Just do it on final or at least in a straight line and we're good.

2) I've never experienced a frustrated or confused student when I taught them how to land in a cross wind. Heck, most of them never even figured out they were slipping until after they had it down. It is sort of an academic discussion at that point.

I did come up with a technique that was sure fire for teaching a cross wind landing. I only used it for students that were having troubles to begin with as it burned up two circuits in the pattern. I'd split the controls. First I'd say, "okay, I'm going to fly the whole plane except the rudders. You have the rudders. Your only job is to keep us lined up with the runway." We'd fly the pattern like that and since their only job was alignment they were easily able to do it.

On the next pattern I'd say, "okay, now you fly the whole plane except I have the rudders. All you have to do is keep us on centerline with the ailerons and I'll keep us lined up (yaw wise)." We'd fly the pattern that way and they'd have no problem as just holding the centerline and not worrying about yaw is easy.

Then I'd let them fly the whole thing on the 3rd pass and they always had it. I had 100% success with that technique. Again, I only used that as a last effort to get it across as it did burn 2 patterns, but in the big picture that's not much for such an important skill.

Guess I got off track a tad...sorry.

No doubt that is the proper way to teach a primary student. My instructor taught me that way first.

As I moved past the PPL and started checking out in other airplanes and on to my instrument rating, he was happy to see I could use slips effectively... There may come a time where a mile long, partial power final approach landing 1000 or more feet down the runway is not possible

during one checkout he set up a scenario where I had to slip aggressively down to a landing. He put me 1500 feet over the airfield, right over the numbers. Okay, engine fire, oil on the windscreen, you need to get down as fast as possible and you can't see out of the windshield. (not an impossible scenario). So starting from the numbers, we did a full flaps, full slip constant left turn 360 to spiral down and land.

As with any learning thing, you start by drawing thick walls around the student for his own safety. Then as they progress you expand their envelope.

I'm happy teaching primary students close to their rides a slipping turn at altitude, and have them get proficient at it. But I'll also tell them that unless they're in an airplane or situation that requires it, they should keep the turns coordinated and save the slips for straight segments.

A (poor) analogy is in high performance driving. Generally you don't accelerate or decelerate while turning, because you've only got so much grip, and you either want to use all of it for the accell/decell, or for the turn itself. Now, in practice, as the driver gets better, he may "spend" his traction in different ways depending on the goal at the moment.

I find that most of the diferences in opinion here are based on experience. Most folks have no concept of the seat of the pants flying that is needed to fly our vintage airplanes properly.

When most of my time was C-172 time, I also proclaimed that the slip was a maneuver used when the pilot misjudged the approach. What a load of dung. I was so arrogantly wrong.

Learning to fly my husband's 8A was a humbling experience and one that I now cherish.

In my 8E, unless conditions are perfect, I almost always slip. It's an efficient way for me to peg my airspeed on final in an airframe that is nose heavy.

I find it unsettling that so many CFIs are afraid of a slip. Have these folks tried to stall in a slip? My Luscombe will spin in a second, but in the most agressive slip I can get it to do, the stall is just little shudder. Drop the nose, and there ya go. We continue flying.

BTW, practicing the falling leaf is an excellent way to get the feel of the airplane in the three point. ;-).

Deb

1948 Luscombe 8E
"Lester"

Fully agree. I think the falling leaf should be a required manuever on the commercial PTS.

A spin from a slip is very difficult, but I'm not going to call it impossible.

I don't think a slip really changes the combination of airspeed and g force in a turn that will stall the airplane more than a negligible amount.. In that way the race car traction equation does not apply, you aren't really giving up part of the traction equation.

In a 152 Normal 30 degree bank pattern turn, you are at something like 1.3g and 65 kts. If you are slipping in that turn, you are probably banking 45 degrees but still at 1.3g and 65 kts

Now, if you find that you're forward slipping ALL THE TIME because you're not on a "proper" approach path, then you need to go fix that root problem with some practice. But there's nothing wrong with a forward slip.

Disagree. I slip every time on final and I can't remember when the last time was that I needed to add power to make the runway. And I put the plane down where I want. None of these 1000' floats and touching down 3000' down the runway that I see so often these days. I think of a slip as a way to consistently put the plane down exactly where you want without relying on power. I never fly powered approaches either. Every landing is an "engine out" exercise. To think of a slip as some sort of error corrector is not going to lead to proficiency. Very few "modern" pilots are comfortable, much less proficient with slips. Most pilots learning to fly these days would be unable to precisely put the plane down in an emergency because they are only given the cursory intro to slips, never do them again, and fly dragged in hot approaches. That's a whole nuther subject but I happen to think the way I fly my approach EVERY time promotes good basic flying skills much better than the "modern" way pilots are taught.

Last edited:
Also don't forget the difference between the traditional skidding base to final stall of death and slipping on base to final. Having partial power in (left turning p factor) and left wing already low, plus left rudder in is going to make the airplane snap to the left in a big hurry when it stalls. If you stalled in a slip instead, left wing low, right rudder in and no power you are going to get a wing drop to the right but it will be much milder.

Also don't forget the difference between the traditional skidding base to final stall of death and slipping on base to final. Having partial power in (left turning p factor) and left wing already low, plus left rudder in is going to make the airplane snap to the left in a big hurry when it stalls. If you stalled in a slip instead, left wing low, right rudder in and no power you are going to get a wing drop to the right but it will be much milder.

Also, the root cause of the stall-spin accident on base-to-final is inability to- and fear of- handling the airplane near the ground.

Those folks were likely perhaps uncomfortable with anything but a mild bank near the ground and that discomfort and the mishandling of the airplane that followed killed them. They needed a steeper bank (or a go-around but often perhaps just more bank) and were shy about it and tried to cheat it with the rudder. The airplane is not any more going to fall out of the sky in a 30-degree bank at 500 feet than it will at 2000 feet and the increase in stall speed is a modest 7%. At 45-degrees, it is a 19% increase; that is getting close to the danger zone and you better know to drop the nose, pick up 10 kt, and add power if needed to make the runway. If you need that much to get lined up, you had better go around unless you are very confident in your skills.

My point being that slipping the airplane all the way from downwind to final is safe, spin-resistant, and great for building your confidence in your ability to handle the airplane and not just drive it.

As with any learning thing, you start by drawing thick walls around the student for his own safety. Then as they progress you expand their envelope.

I'm happy teaching primary students close to their rides a slipping turn at altitude, and have them get proficient at it. But I'll also tell them that unless they're in an airplane or situation that requires it, they should keep the turns coordinated and save the slips for straight segments.

I learned to slip early in my PP training (it was and still is on the PTS, after all).

During my PP Practical in a C152 the 300 lb DPE was grousing the whole flight and when we were about 4 miles out from Runway 26 at KLNS he chirped, "We're a bit high, aren't we?"

:mad:

I'd had enough. I dumped full flaps, chopped power, and slipped it full deflection to within a few feet of the pavement.

After we shut down he grumbled "You passed."

Also, the root cause of the stall-spin accident on base-to-final is inability to- and fear of- handling the airplane near the ground.

Those folks were likely perhaps uncomfortable with anything but a mild bank near the ground and that discomfort and the mishandling of the airplane that followed killed them.

Exactly right.

Is it just me or does anyone else notice a lot of the use of "they" and "them" and "those" pilots around here? It's always followed up with some sort of descriptive term that makes they, them, and those pilots inferior is some way.

Those pilots are afraid. They didn't learn. Makes them weak or unable.

It seems the first step around here in a conversation is to divide up the groups. Label whoever your disagreeing with as 'them' and then start with why that group is deficient in some level.

Afraid to slip has been shot across my bow several times on this thread. Weekend warrior was Ron's favorite insult. Why cant two or three or a bunch of guys on a forum just have a conversation about whatever the topic without the constant resort to divide and conquer techniques I see so often?

If I'm guilty of this (and I don't think I am) then I apologize. Maybe others could try to think about it as they post too...

Is it just me or does anyone else notice a lot of the use of "they" and "them" and "those" pilots around here? It's always followed up with some sort of descriptive term that makes they, them, and those pilots inferior is some way.

It seems the first step around here in a conversation is to divide up the groups. Label whoever your disagreeing with as 'them' and then start with why that group is deficient in some level.

Afraid to slip has been shot across my bow several times on this thread. Weekend warrior was Ron's favorite insult. Why cant two or three or a bunch of guys on a forum just have a conversation about whatever the topic without the constant resort to divide and conquer techniques I see so often?

If I'm guilty of this (and I don't think I am) then I apologize. Maybe others could try to think about it as they post too...

I agree with you. The only "those folk" I think I used recently referred to those folk that spun in on final and I do not see any of them posting here :yikes:

I'm not sure I follow but I've been consistent in insisting a slip is a perfectly acceptable maneuver in a GA SEL (exotics excepted) and exposes the airplane to no more peril than ball-centered coordinated flight.

Here's a few. I'm not trying to pick fights, really. And this thread is by no means anywhere near the worst offender. I just thought I'd point it out and comment that it's pretty dismissive and leaves the person whom you just grouped in a frustrating place. I did say on my very first post on this thread that I'm not anti-slip, yet all sorts of comments followed like 'afraid to slip', and 'ball centered = correct' and such. I still do not like uncoordinated on a base to final turn (uncoordinated either way), but whatever. It's just one guys opinion. YMMV.

All due respect but you sound like the fella some CFI was complaining refused to do a stall doing a BFR.

FIFY :D

My guess is the folks that are concerned about all the slipping have never flown a 65-horse taildragger with no flaps.

Most folks have no concept of the seat of the pants flying that is needed to fly our vintage airplanes properly.

I find it unsettling that so many CFIs are afraid of a slip.

Those folks were likely perhaps uncomfortable with anything but a mild bank near the ground and that discomfort and the mishandling of the airplane that followed killed them.

Here's a few. I'm not trying to pick fights, really. And this thread is by no means anywhere near the worst offender. I just thought I'd point it out comment that it's pretty dismissive and leaves the person whom you just grouped in a frustrating place. I did say on my very first post on this thread that I'm not anti-slip, yet all sorts of comments followed like 'afraid to slip', and 'ball centered = correct' and such. I still do not like uncoordinated on a base to final turn (uncoordinated either way), but whatever. It's just one guys opinion. YMMV.

I apologized for the first. Do you not accept my apology?

I stand by the second.

My third - again, those folk are not posting here and I stand by that.

You did and I do.

I do not like ad hominems either. I might be new here but I have tons of experience posting on boards and try to not make it personal. Occasionally I slip and if pointed out, I will apologize.

That said, there is nothing wrong with pointing out someone's error if done in a collegial manner. Nor do I have a big problem with someone using a generality such as "those pilots ..." That is very much "if the shoe fits" and if you are insulted it is because you yourself are trying on the shoe, no-one is forcing you to.

My experience is that forum talk tends to be a bit edgy and a thick skin goes a long way. If that thick skin is also Teflon, you have it made.

Disagree. I slip every time on final and I can't remember when the last time was that I needed to add power to make the runway. And I put the plane down where I want. None of these 1000' floats and touching down 3000' down the runway that I see so often these days. I think of a slip as a way to consistently put the plane down exactly where you want without relying on power. I never fly powered approaches either. Every landing is an "engine out" exercise. To think of a slip as some sort of error corrector is not going to lead to proficiency. Very few "modern" pilots are comfortable, much less proficient with slips. Most pilots learning to fly these days would be unable to precisely put the plane down in an emergency because they are only given the cursory intro to slips, never do them again, and fly dragged in hot approaches. That's a whole nuther subject but I happen to think the way I fly my approach EVERY time promotes good basic flying skills much better than the "modern" way pilots are taught.

Depends on your runway, of course. If you've got obstacles, then a forward slip may the the "right" way in. If you've got to slip for forward visibility, that's another "right" way.

But if I was giving you a WINGs eval on takeoff and landings (to the PTS) and you were slipping on final each and every time in a 172? You wouldn't pass.

Here's a few. I'm not trying to pick fights, really. And this thread is by no means anywhere near the worst offender. I just thought I'd point it out and comment that it's pretty dismissive and leaves the person whom you just grouped in a frustrating place. I did say on my very first post on this thread that I'm not anti-slip, yet all sorts of comments followed like 'afraid to slip', and 'ball centered = correct' and such. I still do not like uncoordinated on a base to final turn (uncoordinated either way), but whatever. It's just one guys opinion. YMMV.

I still don't know what YMMV means.

I do agree with your original post that primary students should be taught to keep turns coordinated in the pattern. This is what the DPE wants to see. A slip on a straight final is okay, so long as they keep the airspeed nailed. (its also okay in a turn if you keep the airspeed nailed, but the DPE probably wants coordinated turns..)

Last edited:
you are just a tad high there is nothing wrong with adding a little bit of slip until you are on glidepath again, then taking it out...

Yep. I expect corrections. I don't expect slipping all the way down final, over and over again. If you can't show me that you can fly a normal approach to landing without requiring a forward slip all the way down final, in a 172, then in my opinion you're not meeting the PTS.

Learning to fly in a J3 Cub has taught me to learn and love forward slip. I've done it in turns, but mostly on final. It's a great technique to learn and use, and shouldn't be looked on as something to fix a screw-up or bad approach.

Yep. I expect corrections. I don't expect slipping all the way down final, over and over again. If you can't show me that you can fly a normal approach to landing without requiring a forward slip all the way down final, in a 172, then in my opinion you're not meeting the PTS.

I think that is reasonable in a C-172.

My problem with this thread is that there are pilots here flying several different types of aircraft where the slip is a necessary maneuver. Some of the posters suggest we shall soon become burning holes. That assumption is based on ignorance of the flying charactiatics of early aircraft, but is expounded here as gospel.

This thread would barely be given notice on the Luscombe, Cub or Taylorcraft forums. However, I find it disturbing because there will be fewer and fewer instructors able to teach my grandchildren to fly our airplanes.

Alphadog, your posts have been refreshing. I seldom post on general aviation forums because of these type of reactions and misconceptions. You find very few, if any other, Luscombe Listers on them just for that reason. That is sad.

Deb

1948 Luscombe 8E
"Lester"

I think that is reasonable in a C-172.

My problem with this thread is that there are pilots here flying several different types of aircraft where the slip is a necessary maneuver. Some of the posters suggest we shall soon become burning holes. That assumption is based on ignorance of the flying charactiatics of early aircraft, but is expounded here as gospel.

This thread would barely be given notice on the Luscombe, Cub or Taylorcraft forums. However, I find it disturbing because there will be fewer and fewer instructors able to teach my grandchildren to fly our airplanes.

Alphadog, your posts have been refreshing. I seldom post on general aviation forums because of these type of reactions and misconceptions. You find very few, if any other, Luscombe Listers on them just for that reason. That is sad.

Deb

1948 Luscombe 8E
"Lester"

I fully agree that there are certain airplanes that require slips for visibility to land, or for drag because they don't have flaps or other "drag weapons". I also agree that slipping while turning is not an inherent "fall out of the sky" activity, and that in certain situations it might be a good thing, even in a 172 and close to the ground. But I choose not to teach that until a student is sufficiently mature, and I don't want to see a forward slip consistently used in a 172 instead of proper planning of the descent.

As a low-time CFI I'm not comfortable with having primary students get uncoordinated in turns near the ground until they're pretty far along. These are my rules - I make them up. Teach your students the way you want to teach them.

Edit: It's my impression that in many cases (and this is one of them), the folks taking different sides are closer to each other than thought at first. A lot of the difficulty is in communication - somebody says "never" but means "not normally", or other sorts of issues.

Last edited:
Not sure if anybody caught it, but I did learn something on this thread. I always thought uncoordinated was bad base to final no matter which way the ball went. It took some beating over my head but in the end I did realize that the ball to the outside is very dangerous and the ball inside is only a little dangerous. (see what I did there? that was a joke people.)

I did not know that a week ago. Now I do and that's a good thing. I hope nobody gets upset if I continue to stay coordinated in my flying.

Not sure if anybody caught it, but I did learn something on this thread. I always thought uncoordinated was bad base to final no matter which way the ball went. It took some beating over my head but in the end I did realize that the ball to the outside is very dangerous and the ball inside is only a little dangerous. (see what I did there? that was a joke people.)

I did not know that a week ago. Now I do and that's a good thing. I hope nobody gets upset if I continue to stay coordinated in my flying.

My invitation stands: Come fly in the Chief and we'll do some serious slipping!

(these newfangled planes just don't have enough rudder!)

It's been over four hours and no posts. Need to stir it up some. At the end of the day it is about aircraft control, and basic knowledge of aerodynamics. I have slipped almost everything I have ever flown. That includes helicopters, a jet, and certainly all the piston airplanes I have flown with the exception of the Convair 240. I didn't get much time in that one and never had the opportunity.

I have flown zero airspeed and not stalled, 90 degree banks and not died, and I have slipped from downwind to final as recently as this afternoon. I guess I don't get the issue with turning slips. My 15 y/o pre-solo granddaughter can nail a 3pt landing from just about any place in the pattern past mid-field downwind if I pull the throttle to idle. The exception is now that I am teaching her stable approaches. Today the winds were 10G18 varying about 30 degrees either side of the runway. Not an issue for her. The "home" field requires a curving final (trees) in one direction and a massive slip over trees in the other. 1800 feet fence to trees. (All in a Citabria) Focus is on airspeed control on final managed with AOA.

It all varies with the aircraft and its limitations. Why do we set these stylistic issues as "Rules?"

Not sure if anybody caught it, but I did learn something on this thread. I always thought uncoordinated was bad base to final no matter which way the ball went. It took some beating over my head but in the end I did realize that the ball to the outside is very dangerous and the ball inside is only a little dangerous. (see what I did there? that was a joke people

Good deal. I learn stuff here all the time

Nope. No upset. I would like to learn something new as well. Although I have about 600 hours in a C-172, I haven't flown one in ten years. The last time I did, I balded the tires because I landed with my feet on top of the rudders as a good Luscombe pilot should (heel brakes, ya know). Shortest landing roll in the history of the C-172. I also forgot to use the flaps.

I want to land a low winged airplane. I've flown in several and have flown them in the air, but I have never landed one. Thinking about renting one for my BFR.

I don't like a lot of gadgets in the panel. I find it distracting (and overwhelming).

I want to call Hartsfield and ask them for VFR over the top in my 8E.

I think I want a glider rating, but I do love the sound of my C-85/O-200.

Some days I don't want to worry so much about the direction or velocity of the wind.

There are times when I wish buff young men were polishing my airplane while I watch with a glass of Merlot in hand. ;-)

Deb

1948 Luscombe 8E
"Lester"

My invitation stands: Come fly in the Chief and we'll do some serious slipping!

(these newfangled planes just don't have enough rudder!)

Well now ya did it. I never go to S37. 2,400' strips are way below my mins. But I do go to MTN and MDT every now and again. Heck, PHL and PNE are too far for an airplane ride. I'll PM you next time I'm local and have time in the schedule. I might even be able to swap rides in my bird...

I generally crab to about 100 AGL and then transition to a slip. Doesn't really matter what you do as long as you touch down slowly, under control, without sideload.

Back