Form 337 Submission Question

the_doc

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
BritPilot
Some work has been completed on an aircraft I am the owner/operator of.

An STC was added and a Form 337 (handwritten version not electronic) drawn up for the work carried out to the approved data. I received a single copy in original ink, signed by the IA in question.

6 weeks later I received a phone call from the A&P involved in the work that the IA supervised and signed off on. He is calling me to remind me to submit the Form 337 !?

So now I'm pretty confused. I thought that when a Form 337 is produced, it was done in duplicate, one copy being given to the owner/operator, and the other being sent in to the FAA by the IA who has been involved in the work, and within 48 hours of completion.

Am I responsible to have filed this after all and didn't realise (the FARs seem to suggest the IA is responsible)?

I want to make sure this is done right, and so I am going to send the 337 in myself.
Do I send it into the Registration Branch at Oklahoma City?
Does the submitted 337 need to be the original one in ink, or a good quality copy of the original keeping my original with the aircraft records?

I don't suppose the place I need to send it to has an email address they can accept a scanned version by while a copy finds its way there by snail mail?

Grateful for any guidance, this is my first 337.

7. ADMINISTRATIVE PROCESSING. Form 337 will be executed in duplicate with one signed copy given to the aircraft owner and one copy forwarded to the FAA within 48 hours after the airframe, aircraft engine, propeller, or appliance is installed on an aircraft and approved for return to service. FAA processing of the forms and their supporting data will depend on whether approved or unapproved data is used.

e. Completed Forms. Completed forms should be submitted to the Aircraft Registration Branch, AFS-750, PO Box 25504, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73125. Electronic forms are submitted automatically through the website at: http://eformservice.faa.gov/eForm337.aspx.

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_43.9-1F.pdf

Thanks Stewart, confirms what I had understood from the items I had found on the subject as well. When they called me up 6 weeks after, they were telling me it is MY responsibility to file! Am I going to get in a whole heap of trouble over this?

Can anyone advise if the submitted 337 needs to be the original or will a good quality copy suffice?

You keep the original in your logs, they get a copy is what I recall. I've handled my own when it was on a friday and I wanted to fly that weekend. I took them to FSDO and dropped them off. The normal procedure is for the mechanic to handle the FAA copy. In this case they informed you of a problem and you're dealing with it quickly. That's all a guy can do. I wouldn't fret too much about it.

One copy given to the owner and one to the FAA, it's clearly the Mechanics responsibility.
And the IA will keep a copy for their records for re-newal. so make 3

Who is responsible for insuring the mechanics make the proper entries to the maintenance records.

Here is what I do. When presented with a 337 to approve and recored. I first inspect the job and insure the job was completed IAW block 8 of the 337, all is well then I sign the original copy that has the FAAs approval. check the proper blocks and make two more copies, one of me, one for the owner, and I mail the 337 to OKC, not FSDO.

The IA is responsible for submitting the 337 to the FAA in OKC. The owner has his copy for the aircraft records there should be no more for the owner to do.

IF the owner should contact the FSDO with this info the IA could be in a heap of trouble.....then the owner could also need to have this process repeated with another IA....since the first IA will likely be reprimanded.

The IA is responsible for submitting the 337 to the FAA in OKC.
Where do the FARs say that?
Does the A&P who did the work, need a copy? If they are intending to apply for their IA what can they use as proof they are active in Aviation.

(d) In addition to the entry required by paragraph (a) of this section, major repairs and major alterations shall be entered on a form, and the form disposed of, in the manner prescribed in appendix B, by the person performing the work.

Last edited:
I'm still not clear - will OKC accept a clear & good copy, or will they expect the original inked copy?

Sorry guys, one reply states put the original in the aircraft papers, and another seems to suggest keep a copy and send the original.

I'm still not clear - will OKC accept a clear & good copy, or will they expect the original inked copy?

Sorry guys, one reply states put the original in the aircraft papers, and another seems to suggest keep a copy and send the original.
They will except copies, but here is the guidance.

Appendix B to Part 43—Recording of Major Repairs and Major Alterations
(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b), (c), and (d) of this appendix, each person performing a major repair or major alteration shall—

(1) Execute FAA Form 337 at least in duplicate;

(2) Give a signed copy of that form to the aircraft owner; and

(3) Forward a copy of that form to the FAA Aircraft Registration Branch in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, within 48 hours after the aircraft, airframe, aircraft engine, propeller, or appliance is approved for return to service.

It does not stipulate which copy the FAA gets. To answer the first question.. did you perform the repair or alteration?

(d) In addition to the entry required by paragraph (a) of this section, major repairs and major alterations shall be entered on a form, and the form disposed of, in the manner prescribed in appendix B, by the person performing the work.
FAR 43-B is the proper guidance.

The A&P/IA should have sent a copy to OKC. Per Part 43, it was their responsibility to do so not yours so the violation would be theirs. However, as the owner of the aircraft you do have overall responsibility for the maintenance records of your aircraft and since you have publicly acknowledged that you know the 337 was not sent to OKC, in my opinion you should send a copy to OKC. Copy could mean a second original or one that is a facsimile copy of the original. The FAA typically will state original when they want the original of a form or document. In Part 43 which was referenced in posts above, they merely say copy. So make the best copy that you can and send it in.

By the way, sending it in is also to your benefit and the benefit of a future owner if your copy would ever get lost or destroyed.

.....and if it's been more than 48 hours since it was signed the IA could be in deep kim-chi.

.....and if it's been more than 48 hours since it was signed the IA could be in deep kim-chi.
enforcing that is a pretty low priority for the FAA. Simply because there is no reference as to who is required by FAR to do the mailing.

I'd simply send the 337 in, better late than never.

Yes there is.
It's right there.

enforcing that is a pretty low priority for the FAA. Simply because there is no reference as to who is required by FAR to do the mailing.

I'd simply send the 337 in, better late than never.

WTF??!!

Did you even read what you posted in Post #12 above?

WTF??!!

Did you even read what you posted in Post #12 above?
What don't you understand about ""each person performing a major repair or major alteration shall—"

Who did it?

"And the form disposed of".... "by the person performing the work."

each person performing a major repair or major alteration shall—
It sure ain't the owner.

there are several STC that the owner can perform. A&P's can prepare the 337 and bring it to the IA to return to service read block 6 on the 337.

"And the form disposed of".... "by the person performing the work."
your AC is superseded by the FAR 43-B, which has the correct verbiage.

(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b), (c), and (d) of this appendix, each person performing a major repair or major alteration shall—

(3) Forward a copy of that form to the FAA Aircraft Registration Branch in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, within 48 hours after the aircraft, airframe, aircraft engine, propeller, or appliance is approved for return to service.

It does not say the A&P-IA for a reason. they may not be the one doing the repair or alteration. A&Ps can obtain the FAAs approval for the data to make the change/repair/alteration. such as a cylinder up grade like ECI's each cylinder came with the 337 already signed by the inspector at ECI. all that is required is the A&P sign block 6 and bring the 337s to the IA for return to service the A&P-IA did not do the alteration.
thus they are not required to mail (forward) the 337.

In that case he/she was the mechanic that performed the work. Is that what we're dealing with in this case?
Oh we are back on subject :)
In this case who did the work? the A&P? The Repair station ? the IA?
Tell me this, and I'll tell you who should send the 337 in.

I didn't quote the AC. It was/is FAR 43.9 (d).

It says-->

Here was the question that needs to be answered Who signed the block 6? of the 337? in this case they were the ones that preformed the alteration. AS per 43-B
post #1
Some work has been completed on an aircraft I am the owner/operator of.

An STC was added and a Form 337 (handwritten version not electronic) drawn up for the work carried out to the approved data. I received a single copy in original ink, signed by the IA in question.

6 weeks later I received a phone call from the A&P involved in the work that the IA supervised and signed off on. He is calling me to remind me to submit the Form 337 !?

there are several STC that the owner can perform. A&P's can prepare the 337 and bring it to the IA to return to service read block 6 on the 337.
Do all STC's require a 337? Are all STC's Major Alterations or could some be considered minor?

Last edited:
Do all STC's require a 337? Are all STC's Major Alterations or could some be considered minor?
Some of both I believe under the new regulations There was an AC just published that discusses that. But by the definition of an STC it is an Major alteration that has engineering data already approved by the FAA.

your AC is superseded by the FAR 43-B, which has the correct verbiage.

It does not say the A&P-IA for a reason. they may not be the one doing the repair or alteration. A&Ps can obtain the FAAs approval for the data to make the change/repair/alteration. such as a cylinder up grade like ECI's each cylinder came with the 337 already signed by the inspector at ECI. all that is required is the A&P sign block 6 and bring the 337s to the IA for return to service the A&P-IA did not do the alteration.
thus they are not required to mail (forward) the 337.
If owner (noncertificated mechanic) can't sign block 6. Whoever signs block 6 is taking responsibility as if they did the work. And they would be responsible for forwarding the 337 to the FAA

If owner (noncertificated mechanic) can't sign block 6. Whoever signs block 6 is taking responsibility as if they did the work. And they would be responsible for forwarding the 337 to the FAA
This is true, the owner can complete the alteration in some cases, but block 6 must be signed by one of the listed certificated people. "owner ain't listed"

The only way an owner can complete an alteration that requires a 337 is by agreement with the individual whom signs block 6 and accepts responsibility as if he did the work himself.

The only way an owner can complete an alteration that requires a 337 is by agreement with the individual whom signs block 6 and accepts responsibility as if he did the work himself.
That is what working under the supervision is all about.

Back