Foreign students

Nothing against foreign students but dang they are hard to understand in a non tower airport traffic pattern.

Also at controlled fields.

Would be weird though if suddenly in controlled airspace they quickly got all. "Well allo old chap, I shall soon be in bound for a full stop on ye ole one eight cherio!"

Not all foreign student pilots are difficult to understand.

My mom is Korean so I'm used to hearing a heavy asian accent. Flying around Atlanta, I've heard pilots that I hard the hardest time understanding. I honestly don't know how controllers do it sometimes.

Also at controlled fields.

Would be weird though if suddenly in controlled airspace they quickly got all. "Well allo old chap, I shall soon be in bound for a full stop on ye ole one eight cherio!"

I say old chap..so you've heard me on the old squawk box as this happy "Limey" Putters about blowing holes in the Florida sky...Roger...wilco and out ..:thumbsup:

The foreign students that I found most difficult to understand on the radio were the ones from Alabama.

An English student I fly with is hard to understand. He kept saying things like "blimey bastard", "fuel bowsers", and "kilos per liter". I just shake my head and keep on trucking.

I too have an accent. Slight but it is there.
But damn, those Asians are impossible to understand. "Queered to rend wuanway tu zeewo reft?"

Nope. Only half of them are in Florida. The other half are in Denton, Texas.

And the other, other half are in Grand Forks, North Dakota. More operations per day (on average) than Atlanta Hartsfield (if Im remembering correctly, it might've been Ohare).

My mom is Korean so I'm used to hearing a heavy asian accent. Flying around Atlanta, I've heard pilots that I hard the hardest time understanding. I honestly don't know how controllers do it sometimes.

Konglish isn't even that hard compared to some other asian and southern european accents...

안녕하세요!

For a moment there, I thought this thread was about Obama :rofl:

Agreed. But, as the thread is about students, I did not mean to imply that those from Alabama would have passed the written. I would surely be called out for any such assertion.

I haven't run across any Alabama pilots. There aren't many since most can't read well enough to pass the written test. :sad:

Without foreign students, how many flight schools (and Part 61 instructors) would go tits-up?

Speaking of foreign students, I saw the funniest thing a couple days ago at FFZ when I went in to the FBO to pay for my fuel. There were two foreign students and their CFI dressed in airline pilot uniforms and all wearing florescent green reflective vests....they looked like big league 121 guys going out on the ramp to preflight an Airbus......'crept they were getting into a PA28. It was hard not laughing.

Imagine a dozen marginally English proficient foreign students all in the pattern at the same time, and that's how KAPC was when JAL had their training center in Napa.

It turns out there is a relatively new "international" flight school at Castle. It's not the sleepy 12000 foot runway it used to be. The students aren't THAT hard to understand, but they sure do a lot of student things. A real popular one was stopping on the one runway to clean up, leading to a go-around or two. And Tower can't really handle the volume.

They do all dress in aviator shirts, ties and epaulets. Looks really strange considering they're piloting old beat up 152s. Though the students I interacted with were all extremely polite and acted quite professionally.

I flew in there on a CAP exercise, with a military controller from a nearby base. He had some extremely, well, "colorful" things to say about the tower controllers, especially since they denied him clearance for the overhead (in a 182?). It's a good thing I was in the right seat, 'cause I was really too busy laughing my *** off to make a decent landing.

There is alot of Oxford and CAE aviation university students buzzing around in my area. I think alot of them are transplants from Deer Valley to Falcon Field. I think the school moved or something like that. Anyway I see them all the time Transitioning through KCHD airspace to the South East/West practice areas. Once awhile I will see them stop in at KCHD over Dressed like they are piloting a airliner and instead they are piloting a ratted out PA 28. I see once in a While in a Nice DA20 or DA40 airplane.

I kept hearing radio calls to Casa Grande Airport south of KCHD and I was having trouble understanding their radio calls.

Last edited:
There is alot of Oxford and COE aviation university students buzzing around in my area. I think alot of them are transplants from Deer Valley to Falcon Field. I think the school moved or something like that.

Yeah, the guys I saw were from Oxford. That was the first time I'd been to Falcon in several years...man that place has changed.

An English student I fly with is hard to understand. He kept saying things like "blimey bastard", "fuel bowsers", and "kilos per liter". I just shake my head and keep on trucking.

And kept requesting circuits and bumps.

And kept requesting circuits and bumps.

When I'm flyimg back home in Englandshire I annoy the heck out of controllers by using the term "Pattern" :rofl:

Speaking of foreign students, I saw the funniest thing a couple days ago at FFZ when I went in to the FBO to pay for my fuel. There were two foreign students and their CFI dressed in airline pilot uniforms and all wearing florescent green reflective vests....they looked like big league 121 guys going out on the ramp to preflight an Airbus......'crept they were getting into a PA28. It was hard not laughing.

They were wearing that uniform for the same reason you (used to) put on a uniform: Because their employers regs say so.

I'm in Tucson and I see the Oxford guys regularly at RYN too -- I imagine they use it for their long cross country, and the restaurant is good. They usually seem to come down in pairs, and dressed in the full airliner uniform. :)

I haven't been to DVT yet, but plan to soon; unless I hate the traffic it'll probably be my airport of choice for trips to that area. Closer to the middle of town than CHD and cheaper than SDL, and Cutter is there too -- I've had consistently good experiences with them and they are my preferred FBO if I'm going where they are.

The school I went to for my PPL was set up as one of these foreign training mills (I still lived in the UK at the time and came over to learn). I was the only person there not on some airline training program. We eventually came to an agreement where I'd fly in whatever the heck I wanted, and just wear the fancy shirt and silver bar for the check ride.

Funny place. The secretary was arrested a few years later for embezzling enormous sums of money.

Could be worse boys ... you could have guys transmitting in spanish like they're using a CB radio clogging the frequency. I speak spanish and their conversations sound like a phone call to a long lost friend:no:

I haven't been to DVT yet, but plan to soon; unless I hate the traffic it'll probably be my airport of choice for trips to that area. Closer to the middle of town than CHD and cheaper than SDL, and Cutter is there too -- I've had consistently good experiences with them and they are my preferred FBO if I'm going where they are.
Cutter is about the only good thing about DVT.....but also why I typically just go into PHX. No students there.

Cutter is about the only good thing about DVT.....but also why I typically just go into PHX. No students there.

Hmm, well, maybe I should just do that. I'm still new at this (170 hours) and admittedly a bit intimidated to go in and out of PHX, especially at busy times, with my little Cherokee. Do the airlines have to wait for you as you putter down final at 80 knots or do they usually send you to a different runway?

Hmm, well, maybe I should just do that. I'm still new at this (170 hours) and admittedly a bit intimidated to go in and out of PHX, especially at busy times, with my little Cherokee. Do the airlines have to wait for you as you putter down final at 80 knots or do they usually send you to a different runway?

You definitely want to be comfortable talking to ATC, but they almost always give you 7R/25L which is the runway right next to Cutter. They will want you to keep your speed up on final, but do they do a good job of sequencing you in.

I was somewhere between 150 and 200 hours the first time I flew in there with an Arrow.

You definitely want to be comfortable talking to ATC, but they almost always give you 7R/25L which is the runway right next to Cutter. They will want you to keep your speed up on final, but do they do a good job of sequencing you in.

I was somewhere between 150 and 200 hours the first time I flew in there with an Arrow.

I'm reasonably comfortable with ATC - I'm based at Tucson (class C) and I always get flight following when I go anywhere, so I don't think that should be too much of a problem. Is there a lot of GA traffic at PHX? (I guess I can look that up :) )

Maybe I'll go there a couple of times by myself to get familiar before I try taking others on a trip with any other goal.

Back