Foreign students

I'm reasonably comfortable with ATC - I'm based at Tucson (class C) and I always get flight following when I go anywhere, so I don't think that should be too much of a problem. Is there a lot of GA traffic at PHX? (I guess I can look that up :) )

Maybe I'll go there a couple of times by myself to get familiar before I try taking others on a trip with any other goal.

I can ride along your first time if you want, but you should be fine. I've flown into PHX several times and always get assigned the south runway next to the FBOs. Expect to fly over Firebird Lake and get vectored to the south runway. They'll probably call your base turn to squeeze you in between other arrivals.

I haven't been to DVT yet, but plan to soon; unless I hate the traffic it'll probably be my airport of choice for trips to that area. Closer to the middle of town than CHD and cheaper than SDL, and Cutter is there too -- I've had consistently good experiences with them and they are my preferred FBO if I'm going where they are.

Why not KGEU? I guess it depends on where you're going in PHX...

Im Scottish, our controllers here in Tx used to get pretty frustrated with me until i learned to talk very slowly, especially at CLL for some reason.

Why not KGEU? I guess it depends on where you're going in PHX...
Very true. The Phoenix metro area is one huge sprawl. The nice thing is that there are GA airports all around the perimeter and PHX is centrally located.

Im Scottish, our controllers here in Tx used to get pretty frustrated with me until i learned to talk very slowly, especially at CLL for some reason.

That's because they are a bunch of Aggies! :)
"Cessna 345 dang ol' cleared to land dang ol' runway 36 dang ol' yeehaw dang ol'"

There's a tower controller in the Dallas area (I won't name the airport to keep his anonymity) who I have hard time understanding, he talks with the cadence and slant jaw accent of a southern auctioneer. I wonder if he would slow down if I threw some THICK Russian, German or French accent at him. :)

Guys pick me up at chd when you fly into phx. I would like to experience class b phx arrival.

Might be a possibility, sure -- I'll try to let you know when I get organized to go do it. :)

KGEU is out of the way west for where I'd be going (Camelback and Central, roughly). DVT isn't bad but PHX is closest.

It's not the accents nor their command of English, I have heard flight schools in AZ where German pilots would say that there were "over X" when they were mins away from X.

Surprised their instructor don't correct them.

Back