ForeFlight Version 9... New Features include:Checklist, Glide Advisor, and more

Sorry to change topic a little, but I was watching an aviation video on YT last week where the pilot said he had FF and when he was taxiing close to a runway, FF sent an audible alert "Approaching runway 17L". And when he got on the runway, it says "Entering runway 17L" or something like that.

Do any of you know how do get FF to do that? I have never seen it before.

Again, sorry for the hijack.

I've always used 1.5 x my altitude to give me a rough ballpark.

It was always eye opening for my students when I showed them they can glide quite a distance.

I ironically just came across an aviation keyboard app for ForeFlight, surprised they didn't incorporate that into the update!
It is called FFkeyboard. iPad Pilot News did a sweet article on it but I can't post a link since I am new

*They* didn't incorporate it into the update because the FF and the keyboard app are made by different people. :)

Sorry to change topic a little, but I was watching an aviation video on YT last week where the pilot said he had FF and when he was taxiing close to a runway, FF sent an audible alert "Approaching runway 17L". And when he got on the runway, it says "Entering runway 17L" or something like that.

Yeah, just need to enable the feature under Settings->Alerts->Speak All Alerts, and can also choose which specific alerts you want (Runway Proximity Alerts here).

EDIT: If you ever use ForeFlight on commercial flights as a passenger to see where you are, you'll get a lot of looks when your iPad barks out "Entered Runway 22L" before takeoff, when you're sitting back in Economy class. Happened to me a few times, catching me off guard.

Last edited:
Yes, it takes a bit of work unless you just want to use someone else's numbers. For example, here are two plots for airplanes I fly regularly. For the Cessna 182S, I took any of the plotted values, converted to feet, and divided. So, from 14000 feet AGL it can glide 20 nm. 20 nm is 121,520 feet, divided by the altitude of 14,000 feet gives you 8.68:1. That's the number I used for Foreflight.

For the PA-32-301T chart, same basic idea, just different chart. I just used their sample numbers: 12,000 feet AGL gives you 18 nm (109,368 ft), for a glide ratio of 9.11:1.

View attachment 52392 View attachment 52393

if you don't have charts or other information like this in your POH, you should be able to do a reasonable approximation on a smooth day by setting idle power, trimming for best glide IAS, determining what TAS that is, noting your descent rate and doing a little math later.

Or of course google it!
Is this pa32t a retract or not? I fly a PA32r-301, and wonder if that glide ratio of about 9 to 1 would apply. Seems like the toga sinks much faster than that, and has the rock reputation.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Guess I need to did the POH out of the plane. Been awhile since I looked at it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Is this pa32t a retract or not? I fly a PA32r-301, and wonder if that glide ratio of about 9 to 1 would apply. Seems like the toga sinks much faster than that, and has the rock reputation.

It is a PA-32-301T, so fixed gear, turbo, tapered-wing.

Do not think it a feature available on the basic plan...you need geo reference taxi diagrams to get the audible warnings I do believe.

Go to "More..." where you can do the downloads and Settings, Then "Settings", then scroll down to the bottom section.

Toward the top of that section you will see "Alerts >", tap that to get to the sub menu for the different alerts.

From there, you can turn various ones on and off.

One recent add on that I like to the runway advisor is it will tell you the remaining runway length

EDIT: If you ever use ForeFlight on commercial flights as a passenger to see where you are, you'll get a lot of looks when your iPad barks out "Entered Runway 22L" before takeoff, when you're sitting back in Economy class. Happened to me a few times, catching me off guard.

I've always wanted to do a 6PC maneuver by having a very small tabletop version of yoke and throttles, then the AHRS/Moving Map on my tablet, and convince the other sheeple around me I'm flying the aircraft from row 36

Do not think it a feature available on the basic plan...you need geo reference taxi diagrams to get the audible warnings I do believe.

For the "approaching runway" annunciations, you also need bluetooth, on either your headset or audio panel. Otherwise you will hear it only on the ipad's built-in speaker, which is often too faint in a cockpit, when you've got headsets on. (However, as a passenger on an airliner you can hear it on the ipad or iphone speaker just fine, and so can your easily-spooked seat-mates.)

For the "approaching runway" annunciations, you also need bluetooth, on either your headset or audio panel. Otherwise you will hear it only on the ipad's built-in speaker, which is often too faint in a cockpit, when you've got headsets on. (However, as a passenger on an airliner you can hear it just fine, and so can your easily-spooked seat-mates.)

...or Aux In cable if your com panel or headset has an input...but yeah, otherwise it is just the iPad speakers but even that tends to catch my attention most of the time.

"Is that a flight tracker?" "You could say that..."

Or, you can create a 'Procedure' which a copy of your checklist - for free - and use that. . . .

Foreflight is starting to look like buying an airline ticket =-

Ticket price: Basic App
Taxes: Plates
Seat Fee: SV
Baggage Fee: Log book
Payment Fee: Checklists
Early Boarding Fee: W&B

etc etc etc. . . .

My only complaint for that IFR experience is that I got stuck in a hold for nearly 20 minutes before starting an approach into my untowered field, but I can't blame that one on ForeFlight.

Was the field IFR?

If you have Bluetooth headset you can hear the alerts on your headset as well

*They* didn't incorporate it into the update because the FF and the keyboard app are made by different people. :)
Haha I know but you'd think they could come up with something similar on their own!

Back