ForeFlight v5.2 now available

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Tyson and crew have been busy. More nice features now available.

http://blog.foreflight.com/

Just in time for AirVenture 2013, the latest update from ForeFlight is in the App Store. ForeFlight Mobile 5.2 – our fifth major update of the year – brings an exciting range of features:

NAV CANADA Visual Navigation Charts (VNC) and Visual Terminal Area (VTA) charts
FAA Helicopter and Gulf of Mexico VFR/IFR charts
Document Search
Distance Rings
Redesigned FBO view

But still missing the Northwest Angle of Minnesota in their charts. I was also hoping for a split screen since every competitor now has it and it's really handy.

Interesting note about bypassing iOS 6 GPS engine and doing a direct connect to BadElf GPS instead of thru the Core location service.

Wonder if they got ignored by Apple when/if they reported it, or if it's something else, really.

Fun to watch the progression. Long way from where it started.

Interesting note about bypassing iOS 6 GPS engine and doing a direct connect to BadElf GPS instead of thru the Core location service.

Wonder if they got ignored by Apple when/if they reported it, or if it's something else, really.

Fun to watch the progression. Long way from where it started.

Apple's notorious for ignoring issues like this until they feel good and ready to address them. It's almost like they can't admit they made a mistake in their software. Drives me crazy.

I thought I'd like the distance rings/circles.... not... too busy/distracting. 'Still no Grand Canyon charts.

Downloaded, will try out, as much as I can during my lesson today.

Lesson???

Yeah, I was too busy to ever pull the thing out, about all we ever heard was a couple runway proximity alerts from the back seat:lol:

I did reach for it once, was told we were going to land at MWO so I grabbed it to get the AWOS freq, but the instructor was impatient and knew it by heart.

I thought I'd like the distance rings/circles.... not... too busy/distracting. 'Still no Grand Canyon charts.

I agree...they need a transparency setting on those, plus a quick-access way to toggle them on and off as needed.

Yeah, I was too busy to ever pull the thing out, about all we ever heard was a couple runway proximity alerts from the back seat:lol:

I did reach for it once, was told we were going to land at MWO so I grabbed it to get the AWOS freq, but the instructor was impatient and knew it by heart.

Heh... hmm. Let me rephrase that...

I didn't know you were taking lessons...

:)

I agree...they need a transparency setting on those, plus a quick-access way to toggle them on and off as needed.

Tap the Gear button on the upper-left corner of the Maps, tap the "Distance Rings" switch to OFF...

That's always good for instruction - making sure the student doesn't use the equipment.

That's always good for instruction - making sure the student doesn't use the equipment.

That's how it is at my flight school. I was told in no uncertain terms I was not to pull my ipad from my bag when the stage-check instructor saw I had one during pre-flight briefing. "Pencil and paper only," was what I was told...

I contacted ForeFlight and asked for transparency and a quick access button for the rings - I think it's a great feature, just not implemented quite right. I hated trying to use the two finger distance measurement technique during my solo XC flights.

I hated trying to use the two finger distance measurement technique during my solo XC flights.

I've made similar improvement suggestions on the measuring tool. As currently implemented my fingers cover the end points. Simply extending the perpendicular lines on each end would fix it.

Garmin Pilot is slightly better in that they extend the measuring arrow beyond the fingers.

Excellent! I missed that. Now they just need a transparency setting on it.
I would also like to be able to move the center of the rings. Then we could use to find various waypoints, like runways, within a certain distance of a destination.

And It would be nice if we could enter a glide ratio for our plane and the rings could use our altitude to show geography within our engine-out glide path. Having had an engine fail at 1000 ft, I would really like that.

And It would be nice if we could enter a glide ratio for our plane and the rings could use our altitude to show geography within our engine-out glide path. Having had an engine fail at 1000 ft, I would really like that.

I get the feeling that FF is heading in that direction.

I've made similar improvement suggestions on the measuring tool. As currently implemented my fingers cover the end points. Simply extending the perpendicular lines on each end would fix it

You must have huge fingers, (congrats, you know what they say...or is that hands?), because the perpendicular lines are extended far beyond my fingertip "impression" so I can easily see them and very accurately measure distance.

It's been this way for a few versions now.

BTW...I have fat fingers too...my guitar teacher in high school told me to find another hobby becaus I can't fret a string without fouling an adjacent one. Even on a classical guitar.

Last edited:
For the average private pilot, Foreflight is a total waste of money and FF continually adding more bells and whistles isn't going to change that.

Last edited:
For the average private pilot, Foreflight is a total waste of money and FF continually adding more bells and whistles isn't going to change that.

How did you come to that conclusion?

If we were talking about a pre-solo student pilot then I'd agree, but private pilot.....no.

I've spent $79 on other things that haven't been anywhere as useful as Foreflight.

I highly recommend it for VFR pilots.

SO wrong... unless you prefer WX, GP, or some other moving map EFB.

Great idea, but I think Anywhere Map has some sort of lock on the "cone of safety" concept.
It would be nice of FF or WX would buy Xavion's technology, and incorporate it into their product.

My concern with that is it could make you start looking at your ipad after an engine failure to figure out where you could glide.

At 1,000 ft you better be looking outside..... at 9,000 ft the iPad might be of some help.

How did you come to that conclusion?

If we were talking about a pre-solo student pilot then I'd agree, but private pilot.....no.

Because you can purchase Skycharts, which all the charts you need less all the silly bells and whitles, for a 25% of the basic FF annual subscription. Your paying alot for the bells, whistles and marketing.

Because you can purchase Skycharts, which all the charts you need less all the silly bells and whitles, for a 25% of the basic FF annual subscription. Your paying alot for the bells, whistles and marketing.

Based on what you said I assume with Skycharts you get only charts (all charts for US) for $19 a year, right?

If that is correct then you wouldn't pay extra $55 a year to get weather and TFR overlays (plus a whole bunch of other great features)?
ForeFlight costs $75 a year, that's nothing compared to all other aviation costs.

Great idea, but I think Anywhere Map has some sort of lock on the "cone of safety" concept.
It would be nice of FF or WX would buy Xavion's technology, and incorporate it into their product.

is it possible to get a patent on basic math?

Based on what you said I assume with Skycharts you get only charts (all charts for US) for $19 a year, right?

If that is correct then you wouldn't pay extra $55 a year to get weather and TFR overlays (plus a whole bunch of other great features)?
ForeFlight costs $75 a year, that's nothing compared to all other aviation costs.

Check your PM, but even for only $55 a year more, I don't need wx or TFR overlays and a host of other junk.

Last edited:
Wonder if ForeFlight software designers read these forums. If so;

1) How about binders for your departure and destination airport charts (like Garmin Pilot)?
2) Split screen, like duh!
3) Stadium TFRs
4) Open your hardware hierarchy.

Saves me money and hassle. I don't have to buy charts. The rest may be gravy but bottom line, it's a ridiculously cheap way to have all U.S. charts and a moving map.

And what would be the source for that info?

Like the rest of them... The FAA. Here is how Garmin depicts the multiple stadiums near Philly.

enepenu9.jpg

Like the rest of them... The FAA. Here is how Garmin depicts the multiple stadiums near Philly.

enepenu9.jpg

Does Garmin actually show when the games are happening? That is the information that we really need.

Does Garmin actually show when the games are happening? That is the information that we really need.

No, the FAA expects you to be a sports fan. I like them because, I would rather see them on the moving map and give them berth.

Back