ForeFlight v5.2 now available

The way it is worded is 1 hour before and 1 hour after an event where the seating capacity is 30,000 or more. I think this picture shows the details.

edaqatez.jpg

Like the rest of them... The FAA. Here is how Garmin depicts the multiple stadiums near Philly.

FF actually does display stadium TFRs when ADS-B is the data source. Their Internet data must not capture them.

JKG

Because you can purchase Skycharts, which all the charts you need less all the silly bells and whitles, for a 25% of the basic FF annual subscription. Your paying alot for the bells, whistles and marketing.

The so-called "silly bells and whistles" wouldn't likely be worth the added cost for someone who didn't fly longer trips on a regular basis. For those who do, and especially those who fly IFR, those "silly bells and whistles" are invaluable.

JKG

FF actually does display stadium TFRs when ADS-B is the data source. Their Internet data must not capture them.

JKG

+1

I've seen this myself. Very cool to see them pop-up (assuming you're not in them). I've been wondering if they could get a feed from ESPN or some other sports network as to scheduled start/stop times. We discussed doing something like this at my office for a project, but never went forward with trying it.

And It would be nice if we could enter a glide ratio for our plane and the rings could use our altitude to show geography within our engine-out glide path. Having had an engine fail at 1000 ft, I would really like that.

Look at Xavion.com. That's what it is designed to do.

For the average private pilot, Foreflight is a total waste of money and FF continually adding more bells and whistles isn't going to change that.

Yes, what could an average private pilot ever use current charts, integrated flight planning, graphical weather depictions overlaid on charts, automated flight plan filing and GPS derived position overlaid on both VFR and IFR charts??

Truly a waste. :rolleyes:

Wonder if ForeFlight software designers read these forums. If so;

1) How about binders for your departure and destination airport charts (like Garmin Pilot)?
2) Split screen, like duh!
3) Stadium TFRs
4) Open your hardware hierarchy.

+1. .....

The so-called "silly bells and whistles" wouldn't likely be worth the added cost for someone who didn't fly longer trips on a regular basis. For those who do, and especially those who fly IFR, those "silly bells and whistles" are invaluable.

JKG

+1 - For those of us who use our certificates to travel this wonderful country ForeFlight is wonderful. Does it have a lot of stuff? Absolutely? Do I use 100% of it? Not even close. That doesn't mean it's not worth it though. :dunno:

On that note, for my PPL and IR I wasn't allowed to use the iPad on the checkride. Same DPE for my commercial and I was allowed to use it as it was a "good tool" to have available in the real world. I agree with PPL students not using it, but avoiding it forever? No way. Not in this day and age.

Some cheap-ass pilot's knickers are wadded over the price of a lunch for three? Say it ain't so.

Yes, what could an average private pilot ever use current charts, integrated flight planning, graphical weather depictions overlaid on charts, automated flight plan filing and GPS derived position overlaid on both VFR and IFR charts??

Truly a waste. :rolleyes:

1) How about binders for your departure and destination airport charts (like Garmin Pilot)?
2) Split screen, like duh!
3) Stadium TFRs
Jason discussed the split screen (No 2 on my wish list) very briefly during a presentation a few weeks ago. No promises (the FF folks don't announce new features until they are released - no vaporware here) but the concept is being looked at.

I like Pilot's the automatic binder creation also. No. 3 on my wish list.

Some cheap-ass pilot's knickers are wadded over the price of a lunch for three? Say it ain't so.

Heh. Easy to lose that perspective.

Karen just asked me if she should take a $45 practice test for a certification she's bucking for. I asked, "Will it cost you more if you don't pass to take it again?"

Then I reminded her that $45 wouldn't even fill the gas tank on her pickup truck.

Sometimes is cheapskates can let frugality get the better of our brains. :)

Similar thought during our dinner meeting about what MX to do on the aircraft this year... And a comment from me, "So do we own an airplane to maintain it to lower standards than a rental?"

Case closed, vote was "do it".

:) :) :)

I currently happily license two products and might do a third this year. Thing are evolving so quickly in this area of technology that I want to be able to leverage the best available at the moment. Currently only one supports both platforms I carry so that one is a no-brainier.

I currently happily license two products and might do a third this year. Thing are evolving so quickly in this area of technology that I want to be able to leverage the best available at the moment. Currently only one supports both platforms I carry so that one is a no-brainier.

LOL! I just picked up the trial version of WingX. Wish I could sit down with all of the programmers and come up with the perfect portable solution! They each have their merits, but none are all encompassing.

LOL! I just picked up the trial version of WingX. Wish I could sit down with all of the programmers and come up with the perfect portable solution! They each have their merits, but none are all encompassing.

True, but they're all making progress. GP functionality with a ForeFlight UI, then add FlyQ's synthetic vision and Xavion's best-glide-to-nearest-runway, and you would make me very happy...at least this week!

Last edited:
True, but they're all making progress. GP functionality with a ForeFlight, then add FlyQ's synthetic vision and Xavion's best-glide-to-nearest-runway, and you would make me very happy...at least this week!

Thanks for reminding me. Xavion's latest update is available.

Have been using fore flight since it inception.Use it IMC all the time great for staying on the airways especially around NY.may pick up the stratus package at OSH.tried wing x pro but still prefer ff at this time.

You can have my iPad/foreflight when you pry it from my cold dead hands!

Tyson (FF co-founder) pops up here every now and then - Screen name "codemonkey."

3) Stadium TFRs

I dunno about you, but I do see Miller Park depicted on mine. Are TFR's turned on?

Hint: ForeFlight doesn't make hardware... It's Appareo that has closed the Stratus off. And I agree 100%, I'd really like to be able to use the Stratus with Xavion.

So this new version works with Android devices now?

One feature that I think would be handy...

A button that adjusts the map scale to the same scale as the printed sectional...so I can measure distance with my plotter/scale...the old fashioned way.

Yeah, I know, I'm a Luddite...or at least nostalgic.

One feature that I think would be handy...

A button that adjusts the map scale to the same scale as the printed sectional...so I can measure distance with my plotter/scale...the old fashioned way.

Yeah, I know, I'm a Luddite...or at least nostalgic.

Uhhh....wouldn't you be limited to 50 mi or less?

The two-finger measuring tool works at all scales. I'd like to see thm widen the end markers slightly but otherwise it's fine.

Uhhh....wouldn't you be limited to 50 mi or less?

The two-finger measuring tool works at all scales. I'd like to see thm widen the end markers slightly but otherwise it's fine.

Yeah, I know, but most of the time when I'm using ForeFlight, almost always when VFR actually, I have the GPS shut off and I'm simply using it as a chart. I'd just like to be able to take quick measurements with my plotter.

So this new version works with Android devices now?

No and based on the website and Q&A at a FF presentation I was at, no plans to ever make to compatible. The reason given was too many versions of Android for them to handle with the staff they have.

Cheers

Yeah, I know, but most of the time when I'm using ForeFlight, almost always when VFR actually, I have the GPS shut off and I'm simply using it as a chart. I'd just like to be able to take quick measurements with my plotter.

I don't follow (no sarcasm here). The 2 finger method works with the GPS off.

On the converse, you should be able to use the 2 finger method adjust the scale of the map to match your plotter, then just stop doing any "pinch" gestures.

I don't follow (no sarcasm here). The 2 finger method works with the GPS off.

On the converse, you should be able to use the 2 finger method adjust the scale of the map to match your plotter, then just stop doing any "pinch" gestures.

I'm not sure what he is referring to either. When I turn off the GPS I can still get the plotter to work.

yvurygaz.jpg

Yes, I know it still works, it's just easier and quicker to do it with a plotter when the map is at the right scale, especially if it's bumpy flying low and slow.

I only mentioned turning the GPS off to illustrate that I'm using the chart function only...not the navigational aid function. i.e. using glass for paper.

Last edited:
Yeah, I downloaded it last night. It fixed a bug that popped up for those of us still running first generation iPads. The bug was a lot of blank drop down boxes on the airport page; frequenciies, weather, runways, procedures, etc. Some people were also having problems w/blurry approach plates. I didn't notice that one.

No and based on the website and Q&A at a FF presentation I was at, no plans to ever make to compatible. The reason given was too many versions of Android for them to handle with the staff they have.

Cheers

So why would I want Foreflight?

The 5.2 update is really pretty poor. However, the traffic circles are a vast improvement over the previous version. they can be easily turned on/off as josh says. The biggest problem here is that it is only a simple menu approach. This has been shown in many AVapp devices to lead to interdependencies between functions which ultimately require more steps to get the desired result. If FF has one distinct advantage, it is that it is basically intuitive to a pilot. Lessening that characteristic may lad to a precipitous fall from 80% love. I have turned the Track Vector off using the FF settings function and will leave it there. Maybe the 777 at SFO could have used it but, we can all probably benefit from thinking about flight (landing) w/o everything working. Hope FF concentrates on some significant improvements for the next release.

edgefly

I've made similar improvement suggestions on the measuring tool. As currently implemented my fingers cover the end points. Simply extending the perpendicular lines on each end would fix it.

Garmin Pilot is slightly better in that they extend the measuring arrow beyond the fingers.

I had this same problem. My fingers seemed to cover the two points. But after trying again today, I found that its easy to see the two lines at the ends of the straight line (the two end lines). I can see those without a problem and I'm able to get an accurate measurement. They may have changed it without mentioning it.

I had this same problem. My fingers seemed to cover the two points. But after trying again today, I found that its easy to see the two lines at the ends of the straight line (the two end lines). I can see those without a problem and I'm able to get an accurate measurement. They may have changed it without mentioning it.

Just tried it and is definitely better. I'd still like larger end lines, but this seem to be improved.

Yeah, I downloaded it last night. It fixed a bug that popped up for those of us still running first generation iPads. The bug was a lot of blank drop down boxes on the airport page; frequenciies, weather, runways, procedures, etc. Some people were also having problems w/blurry approach plates. I didn't notice that one.

Actually, no it didn't, the bug just appeared again.

Have been using Anywhere Map software for years. Lately the company have been slow in publishing updates; none of the software has been updated for months. That being said ControlVision's products have a lot of features that the rest of the world could use. Their AWM Pro running on Windows platforms is hard to beat for navigation. Forget their charts; they are fuzzy compared to the rest of the world.

Have subscribed to the FF. It has a lot going for it. But as one poster earlier mentioned they have some bells and whistles that for the life of me don't make a lot of sense. Example: the new Track Vector. Just tried it out driving around in the car. The vector is supposed to be an extension line off the nose of the aircraft. Well, while turning the line disappears but the chart moves and a little green triangle chases around the distance ring; the line finally is displayed again. This is such a simple concept that I believe FF has made overly complex (aka biggie B&W). Just show an aircraft that has a very long nose extension line.

Have also tried our Garmin Pilot. Love those vector charts for flying IFR. But the user interface is a little cumbersome compared to FF. Not sure why we need an active Flight Plan Screen which can differ from what is shown on the Map Screen....FlyQ from AOPA is coming on strong. It has a nice user interface considering it is so new.

All these iPad apps have some nice features but lack others. Hopefully OSH will bring some new innovations and a little more sanity to the ADS-B situation and more vendors will opt for using additional boxes.

Ron

Back