Foreflight upped the price?

Which can be problematic. Foreflight has this automatic renewal thing, so unless you cancel your credit card prior to the renewal date, you get charged automatically. I don't like that.

Auto-renew can be turned off by logging into the foreflight website.

Especially if you're a CFI, cause then you get it for free! I have used both and WingX is by far a better product and more user friendly.

Build your own plan. If you want all the goodies, the Plus plans are cheaper. There is new flexibility in adding features that were once only available in the pro plan are now options in the basic plan. If you auto renew, you can keep your existing plan.

build your own.jpg

I guess I'm ok skool. I prefer my paper logs. It's tangable. I didn't see where they added that though.
I only use my paper logbook to record instruction and endorsement received. I retired my paper logbook for recording anything else 2-1/2 years ago.

Been using MyFlightBook almost since its inception (and paying a small amount an extra backup feature, mostly because I just want to support the developer's efforts). Heard about ForeFlight adding the feature but personally don't see any reason to even look at it.

Build your own plan. If you want all the goodies, the Plus plans are cheaper. There is new flexibility in adding features that were once only available in the pro plan are now options in the basic plan. If you auto renew, you can keep your existing plan.

View attachment 42946
Well, kinda. I looked at the "Build you own plan" page (click on the link at the bottom) and one of the most important features for VFR pilots in this day (actually more than a decade) of runway incursions as a major concern - referenced taxi diagrams - is still not available without at least the "Pro" subscription.

It doesn't affect me personally because I am a "Pro" user, but it is the one business choice ForeFlight has made I am bothered by.

I can't speak for anyone else, but if Hilton wants me to buy WingX, they should spend some time giving it a user interface that doesn't look like they barfed it out all over the screen in five minutes. It hurts just looking at the web site.

There is nothing wrong with having a simple interface, everything is easy to access, easier to read/crisp and those big buttons are a hell of a lot easier to use first time when in turbulence.

Agree. Own ship on the diagram is a very helpful thing especially when unfamiliar, dare I say it's even a safety feature. It would be most awesome if it was available at all subscription levels.

I think Jepp and Foreflight and Garmin should give away everything because they could provide more safety. LOL.

I didn't say anything about free.

It's only available with pro which forces you to pay double. If I had the basic I wouldn't mind paying a few bucks for own ship on the taxi diagrams.

Someone refresh my memory. Is own ship available on approach plates with the basic subscription or do you need pro for that feature as well?

I didn't say anything about free.

It's only available with pro which forces you to pay double. If I had the basic I wouldn't mind paying a few bucks for own ship on the taxi diagrams.

Someone refresh my memory. Is own ship available on approach plates with the basic subscription or do you need pro for that feature as well?

Geo ref plates require the Pro version.

Thanks Mike. I upgraded to pro and started my IFR at the same time so previously I didn't have any approach plates downloaded. I suspected that was the case. I don't use the feature much on an actual approach but once on the ground I am inclined to use it more.

Given my type of xcountry flying, I believe that the value they bring is a great bargain. No more paper charts and plates and a reliable backup to instruments on an iphone and ipad at the same time for no extra charge.

Don't tell them but I would pay even more and still like it. I once fouled up a reload and someone called an hour after emailing them on a Sunday afternoon.

I know around how much it costs to make a tool like this and provide the customer service they do and it is really expensive.

I am in no way affiliated with the company, just and admirer of the business plan execution.

I just went to FlyQ from foreflight. Got a BOGO deal for the IFR with SV package, $119 for two years. I ran both last trip, FlyQ worked fine. I am happy with my choice at half price of FF. Plus I get to use any hardware I choose, including my friends Stratus. Unless something changes I will not be back to FF.

I think FF screwed the pooch with this update. $25 a YEAR for an electronic logbook? seriously? paper is free. $25 one time for a logbook is one thing...$25 a year for and electronic logbook is a total ripoff.

FlyQ just offered lifetime IFR for $499, which I bought, is a a deal. FF will likely lose this customer over their greed. Yeah, I can keep my existing plan, but I used iTunes cards for a RN, and with the auto-RN in FF one can not use iTunes cards. Greed sets in once again.

I don't get why companies think they can continue to screw the customer. At some point people will leave, and this is me. And I taught FF classes last couple years on WINGS weekends. No more.

FF...keep your eye on the ball. Recent actions are not good, and people are noticing. Next WINGS weekend - instead of promoting FF I will be promoting FLYQ.

Whine whine whine. Don't like it, don't buy it, fine, your choice. But don't assert that they are trying to screw people.

I've used them all and my personal opinion is that ForeFlight is miles above the rest of the mobile apps. And a few crybabies on the internet bloviating about OPTIONS offered at additional cost won't change my opinion.

I don't look at it as $25 for a digital logbook. I look at it as a price increase that bundles more options from a company that continually adds new features and improvements to their product.

Price point does not bother me one bit for a continually improving product. If they just let it sit and rot and charged more...different story.

Not to be *that guy* but doesn't garmin pilot offer a log book feature too (only on the apple.... real shocker.....)?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I'd find it funny too, if I hadn't come to the conclusion over the years that pilots are some of the cheapest dudes out there.

I've always liked this particular story about pilots being cheap bastards:

http://acaptainslog.blogspot.com/2008/03/cheap-bastards.html

I remember what it used to cost to update paper sectionals, IFR charts, and approach plates every cycle. My Garmin 196 was hundreds per year to upgrade and it wasn't really much more than a basic GPS.

For $175 total a year, Foreflight can take my money!

No kidding. I took a trip to the west coast in 2008. The paper I bought from the FAA for that trip cost me $225 and filled two grocery bags! 17 sectionals, 4 TACs, 7 low enroutes, 9 books of approach plates, and 4 A/FD's. :yikes: And three days before I arrived home, it all turned into worthless garbage, though I think I just kept going with the expired ones until I got home.

Thanks Mike. I upgraded to pro and started my IFR at the same time so previously I didn't have any approach plates downloaded. I suspected that was the case. I don't use the feature much on an actual approach but once on the ground I am inclined to use it more.
This post confused me completely. I obviously misunderstood it since the two questions it made me think of were:

What does own ship on an approach plate do for you on the ground?

Don't you use approach plates when flying an actual approach?

:confused::confused:

This post confused me completely. I obviously misunderstood it since the two questions it made me think of were:

What does own ship on an approach plate do for you on the ground?

Don't you use approach plates when flying an actual approach?

:confused::confused:

I think he means showing your position on the approach plate is redundant as you are already situationally aware of your position, (more so if you have a moving map). However, when you get on the ground, showing your position on the airport diagram is much more helpful.

Kevin

Last edited:
I think he means showing your position on the approach plate is redundant as you are already situationally aware of your position, (more so if you have a moving map). However, when you get on the ground, showing your position on the airport diagram is much more helpful.

Kevin
Ah! :wink2:

Kevin

Correct.

When you land, the plate disappears and the taxi diagram pops up automatically.

Correct.

When you land, the plate disappears and the taxi diagram pops up automatically.

That does happen. Check your settings page to make sure it's turned on.

(A hint on that. The airport diagram it shows is the FF version if one is available for that airport. And like other plates, you can mark it up with your own notations. This has come in handy at a KRBD where the runways and taxiways are under construction. I marked all of the closed *ways in red, and the complicated taxi route in green. Made going in and out of there much easier)

It's a great feature, no fiddling to get the taxi diagram up.

I do the same thing with notations. I'll usually just scribble a black like through the taxiway but highlighting in red is also a good idea.

Not to be *that guy* but doesn't garmin pilot offer a log book feature too (only on the apple.... real shocker.....)?

Yes! It came out first (sometime this summer) and is in the basic GP at no extra charge. I love it.

x2

Wing x just added free fuel prices too. They are actively supporting Statux (DIY adsb unit for under $100).

X3 - simple pricing, no paying for selective features and a smaller database footprint versus the others, allows you to go with a lower capacity iPad. Also available on Android and surprisingly Amazon Fire tablets.

I'm so confused. They added a new feature and are charging for it. If you don't want the feature or don't want to pay for it, then you don't have to spend any extra money on it.

Are people unaware of that fact, or are they arguing that the feature should be made available without an increase in price?

I'm also surprised that people are SO price sensitive. Imagine for a moment that they did increase the mandatory cost by $20/yr. Would that be outrageous? The software is moving forward at a rapid pace and they have outstanding customer support. We could be in a much worse position. It's surprising to see that people would consider jumping ship at the drop of a hat. EFB software isn't a commodity item, FF's feature set is massive and not easily replicated by swapping to another tool.

If they gave it away for free someone would complain.

I think some of these guys have no clue about the costs involved with running a business.

If they gave it away for free someone would complain.

I think some of these guys have no clue about the costs involved with running a business.

As one buddy says, "Some people's kids".

I one time bundled an item into a customers multi part purchase and "sold" it to him for "free". A week later, he calls, wanting to return it and get his money back. It took a few rounds with me for him to catch on when I said "You can return it, sure, but there is no refund".

Last edited:
I think FF screwed the pooch with this update. $25 a YEAR for an electronic logbook? seriously? paper is free. $25 one time for a logbook is one thing...$25 a year for and electronic logbook is a total ripoff.

FlyQ just offered lifetime IFR for $499, which I bought, is a a deal. FF will likely lose this customer over their greed. Yeah, I can keep my existing plan, but I used iTunes cards for a RN, and with the auto-RN in FF one can not use iTunes cards. Greed sets in once again.

I don't get why companies think they can continue to screw the customer. At some point people will leave, and this is me. And I taught FF classes last couple years on WINGS weekends. No more.

FF...keep your eye on the ball. Recent actions are not good, and people are noticing. Next WINGS weekend - instead of promoting FF I will be promoting FLYQ.

This should be a fun post to reflect on when FlyQ isn't supported sometime within the next 3 years.

I would agree that $25/yr is a ludicrous price for a log book. I don't mind paying for a product. But where there are so many other options, it should be priced competitively.

Where they have some leverage is the integration in the EFB for data logging. But, I not going to pay $25 per annum for that.

Mmmmmm....

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 52
Especially if you're a CFI, cause then you get it for free! I have used both and WingX is by far a better product and more user friendly.

I am a CFI. I have the WingX for free but have not seen anything about ForeFlight being free. What am, I missing?

David

Back