Foreflight upped the price?

Yes, I do know how much software development costs before you ask again.

Because those are the only costs they incur? Compare FF to the others. Let's take one event... Oshkosh. They had one of the alphabet hangars named after them and a very nice booth in it. They held multiple daily forums taught by employees. Free swag. Etc..

All that costs money... a LOT of it. And a smart business model doesn't absorb those costs, but passes them to the customer. The endgame is to make a profit, as evil as some believe that word to be. As the company grows and produces a better product, the price will rise.

I am tired of battling on this subject. Don't like the price, don't buy it. If there's a better alternative then the market will work itself out.

I think they're the best EFB but I don't belittle others for using something else or call them sheep. I really thought most pilot types were better than that. Maybe not.

Because those are the only costs they incur? Compare FF to the others. Let's take one event... Oshkosh. They had one of the alphabet hangars named after them and a very nice booth in it. They held multiple daily forums taught by employees. Free swag. Etc.. .

And all that is voluntary spend for marketing etc, as are the full page ads in all the flying mags, all voluntary marketing spend that they obviously feel they have to spend to keep what market share they have , cause the overall market isn't growing.

And all that is voluntary spend for marketing etc, as are the full page ads in all the flying mags, all voluntary marketing spend that they obviously feel they have to spend to keep what market share they have , cause the overall market isn't growing.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Now you're just guessing.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Now you're just guessing.

About what exactly .... the size of the marketplace ? Last time I checked the FAA numbers, the number of new pilots or pilots returning to flying isn't increasing year over year, so it's a small limited marketplace.

Or are you referring to all the marketing stuff, maybe they are doing all that out of the kindness of their heart.

And bumping your price 1/3 doesn't help gain market share either.

I switched from LogTenPro over the FF logging this week. There are several really good features.
1. Converting from one electronic format to another is often very difficult, FF does it better than any other I've seen. It took me just a few minutes and my logs were in FF and correct.
2. AutoLogging - After a couple of flights this weekend, I check the logbook and see the flights in draft mode. A quick look showed them to be correct and a single click adds them to the log. The automatic logging has got to be the best electronic log book feature ever.
3. I like to note in my log who my passengers were. FF allows you to use your iPhone contacts list to add passenger details into the log.
4. FF is likely to be around for a long time and I like that in a electronic log product. The log book isn't a single use product. It is used regularly and the data must be stored for many years. Therefore I'm not looking for the cheapest option, but rather the most likely to be around in 20 years, option.

Just my $0.02

And bumping your price 1/3 doesn't help gain market share either.

Man... you're still at it. I just referred back to my original starting version (on the iPhone only), version 2.3 (June, 2009) and took a quick look at the feature set. At that time, I paid $74.99/year. That release had just rolled out landscape mode, terminal procedures, graphical TFR's, radar, new downloads now appear as an icon number, flight plan email confirmation.

They've come a very long way since then. Really it's a completely different app today. They were charging $74.99/year in 2009. Now, with syncing, iPad support, direct plan filing, multiple device support, logbook, and weight/balance, weather powered by Scott Denstaedt (sp?), and a thousand more small enhancements, they just raised it to $99.99/year.

Read here on the versions they were doing at that time:
http://iphone.iusethis.com/app/versions/foreflightmobile

Quit your complaining already. They're allowed to make money. I find value in the app, and pay for it. If you don't, don't. It's a simple concept.

Quit your complaining already. They're allowed to make money. I find value in the app, and pay for it. If you don't, don't. It's a simple concept.

Wow, they're so fragile that someone pointing out how they hiked their price 1/3 by "adding" a useless feature is going to kill them? Seriously?

If you don't like that being pointed out, don't read. It's a simple concept. For those who actually care about value-for-money, they can become informed.

4. FF is likely to be around for a long time and I like that in a electronic log product. The log book isn't a single use product. It is used regularly and the data must be stored for many years. Therefore I'm not looking for the cheapest option, but rather the most likely to be around in 20 years, option.

Just my $0.02

You better hope they keep it around. There's no way to export the data, so your transition that you've made is one-way.

You better hope they keep it around. There's no way to export the data, so your transition that you've made is one-way.

I'll bet you the subscription cost that they'll be around long after they've added the export feature.

Wow, they're so fragile that someone pointing out how they hiked their price 1/3 by "adding" a useless feature is going to kill them? Seriously?

If you don't like that being pointed out, don't read. It's a simple concept. For those who actually care about value-for-money, they can become informed.

It's not 1/3. Stop peddling the lie.

I guess you're ignoring the rest of my post... the part about the thousands of other useful features...

I think you've hit troll status now.

I guess you're ignoring the rest of my post... the part about the thousands of other useful features...

I think you've hit troll status now.

And I think you've hit "shill" status right now.

All those other "features" were available before this, before the 1/3 price hike.

200/150 = 1 1/3
100/75 = 1 1/3

Try learning some math.

That's some deceptive marketing on Jeff's part.

I was already a FF Pro + SV subscriber. Adding the log book cost me $25. As with nearly every subscription product back to the beginning of time, bundling reduces cost.

Attachments

• 3340697.jpg
    3340697.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 18
That's some deceptive marketing on Jeff's part.

I was already a FF Pro + SV subscriber. Adding the log book cost me $25. As with nearly every subscription product back to the beginning of time, bundling reduces cost.

What about those who have no use for SV? And don't have the hardware for SV?

No more buying iTunes cards at a discount on the Basic or Pro...now you have to buy SV that you can't use, and a Logbook that doesn't have the features of the free alternatives.

And in the history of bundling, it's generally a way for companies to get some revenues for products that they can't sell on their own because they're not up to scratch.

200/150 = 1 1/3
100/75 = 1 1/3

Try learning some math.

The previous "high price" for foreflight with SV was 175, now it's $200 with the logbook feature.

That's $25, not $50. Try learning some math.

The previous "high price" for foreflight with SV was 175, now it's $200 with the logbook feature.

That's $25, not $50. Try learning some math.

So, wait, Foreflight previously made you buy SV in order to pay in app, eh? Strange they dropped that, because the day before this hit, I could still renew for $149.

Or maybe you were special.

What about those who have no use for SV? And don't have the hardware for SV?

No more buying iTunes cards at a discount on the Basic or Pro...now you have to buy SV that you can't use, and a Logbook that doesn't have the features of the free alternatives.

And in the history of bundling, it's generally a way for companies to get some revenues for products that they can't sell on their own because they're not up to scratch.

Then buy the same pro version you've always bought which is still available for $150?

Then buy the same pro version you've always bought which is still available for $150?

Can't

My wife buys me iTunes gift cards every year for my renewal. I can't buy the $150 version in app, and I don't have anything else to spend them on.

POA makes it easy to ignore Trolls. One more on the ignore list.

So, wait, Foreflight previously made you buy SV in order to pay in app, eh? Strange they dropped that, because the day before this hit, I could still renew for $149.

Or maybe you were special.

:lol:

Then buy it on their website. Simple as that.

Oh wait, you can't find it because it's "buried".

:lol:

Then buy it on their website. Simple as that.

Oh wait, you can't find it because it's "buried".

Can't

My wife buys me iTunes gift cards every year for my renewal. I can't buy the $150 version in app, and I don't have anything else to spend them on.

So your "problem" is self-induced, and not Foreflight's fault.

Maybe ask your wife if she'd be willing to do something else like buy you a subscription through their website?

Maybe contact foreflight and see if they can change the in app purchase options?

Nah, come one here and whine like a petulant 5th grader.

ForeFlight is crap - there I just said it.

Continues raising application price (crap) !!!

Maybe ask your wife if she'd be willing to do something else like buy you a subscription through their website?
Already purchased as my Christmas gift before they changed the rules...sunk cost.

Maybe contact foreflight and see if they can change the in app purchase options?
Highly unlikely. They did this quite intentionally. Make the simplest purchase option more expensive to sell the "upgraded" product whether people want it or not. It's a basic scummy marketing practice that I am sad to see FF has adopted.
Nah, come one here and whine like a petulant 5th grader.

They have every right to do it. I have every right to call out the scummy practice. You wanna be a fanboi and think everything they do is sweetness and light, you're free to delude yourself.

I have customers like you. They don't want a solution to their issue, they want it their way period. I have a name for them.

"No longer my customer."

If I were ForeFlight I'd be begging you to PLEASE go use some other EFB.

I have customers like you. They don't want a solution to their issue, they want it their way period. I have a name for them.

"No longer my customer."

If I were ForeFlight I'd be begging you to PLEASE go use some other EFB.

Companies have a name for customers like you, who think that the company can do no wrong. They call them "Chumps"

But isn't the customer always right ?

Nope. You learn that very quickly being in business. Let them become someone else's problem. There's enough to go around.

If I were someone with authority over at ForeFlight, I'd kill this guy's account (if he even has one), refund him his pro-rated share, and wish him safe travels.

I've done just that.

For every one of "that guy", there are 100 reasonable customers lined up.

Jeff, we truly get it that you're not happy with the situation. And your message has been heard. Can you accept that and move on?

This should be a fun post to reflect on when FlyQ isn't supported sometime within the next 3 years.

You really believe this? Wow...They have been around how long already?

You are/were a member of AOPA? You already paid for some of the development. :yes:

If I were to use the FF logbook and then later cancel it, do I get to keep what I have logged or am I now locked out of it?

If I were to use the FF logbook and then later cancel it, do I get to keep what I have logged or am I now locked out of it?

You can't export, so keep your data in there with extreme caution. Based on their tactics here, expect the price to go up and up as people put their data in and their costs to reenter themselves goes up.

You really believe this? Wow...They have been around how long already?

You are/were a member of AOPA? You already paid for some of the development. :yes:

Actually Bendix King paid for some of the early development - FlyQ is based on myWingman DNA.

Must be nice in this economy to cut customers loose.

"This economy" is only as bad as you make it out to be.

Not all customers are those you want, likewise not all companies are the types an individual would want to do business. Some are willing to pay a premium for the service level Signature Flight Support provides... others will fly to the neighboring airport to save $5.00/gallon on fuel and pump their own gas. Signature would be happy if those people never walked through the door. They're a pain in their ass. Likewise, the FBO running the self-serve pumps wouldn't want to deal with the pain in the ass who expects Signature-level service with catering, full-service, red carpets, etc. Neither way is a good fit for one another.

GP saves data to cloud so it's available via web browser, maybe FF will add that capability

Must be nice in this economy to cut customers loose.

As I said, for every JeffDG I deal with, there's 100 reasonable customers out there that are easy to work with and don't act like mental pygmys every time an issue comes up.

The hassle far exceeds the slight lost revenues.

I sincerely hope FF just cuts hm loose. Probably would benefit both parties.

Back