Foreflight mobile update coming

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by cowman, Nov 22, 2017.

1. cowman

cowman En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Cowman
    For some of us this is long overdue. Looks like they're finally putting the same functionality the ipad version has onto the phone version.

2. CC268

CC268 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    CC268
    Yea that will be nice

3. midlifeflyer

midlifeflyer Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    Probably the same philosophy as FlyQ's similar announcement - the iPhone screen has gotten almost as big as an iPad Mini, so there's little reason to continue making them different.

4. denverpilot

denverpilot Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Or they figured out that nobody ever launches the iPhone version unless forced to by a failure and even then they cuss over trying to use it these days (it used to be good) as a backup.

5. frfly172

frfly172 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    ron keating
    Should make a better last chance backup,with the changes.

6. Pilawt

Pilawt Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Pilawt
    As with just about everything else, I'm backwards on this. Foreflight on iPhone is primary on the yokemount in flight. The iPad is mainly for pre-flight planning, and for consulting airport and weather data without distracting the iPhone from its magenta-line-following chores.

7. Banjo33

Banjo33 Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Banjo33
    I keep saying that I’m going to try this but keep forgetting. I prefer to use my iPad, but it’s way too big to hang on the yoke.

8. denverpilot

denverpilot Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    Heh. Interesting.

Doing instructor or simulated instructor chores, the iPhone or iPad sitting off to the side (mine) is just a backup to whatever the student is using. Panel, their iPad, their iPhone... it’s just a “trusted device” to glance at if the student is over there goofing up the setup of their gadgetry.

“Have you looked ahead at airspace...?” as they’re fiddling on the airport screen in ForeFlight and the Bravo shelf is looming, or whatever. But most of the time that one is better served by just memorizing landmarks, from the right seat perspective anyway.

Thought in your head: Hmmm. Coming up on the reservoir... left seater obviously isn’t paying attention to airspace... let’s see how close he or she gets... and figure out how to get their brain out in front of the airplane instead of six miles behind it... :)