ForeFlight Logbook - version 7.5 released

ForeFlight is the leading product at this point, but they really haven't added much significant in the last 12 months. Their effort at web-based planning was pretty weak at best.

I'm not sure what the programmers have been doing the last year or so. If they don't release some more features soon, they're going to be ripe for the competition to overtake.

ForeFlight is the leading product at this point, but they really haven't added much significant in the last 12 months. Their effort at web-based planning was pretty weak at best.

I'm not sure what the programmers have been doing the last year or so. If they don't release some more features soon, they're going to be ripe for the competition to overtake.

Really? Have a look at http://blog.foreflight.com.
Heck, Aviation Forecast Discussions were released within the past month, and I think MOS Forecasts were within the past year. Then there was the web interface that you apparently consider weak and I think the automated track logging, a la CloudAhoy.

What suggestions do you have for missing or desirable features?

I think it's a little unfair to imply they've been sitting around doing nothing for the past year.

Bring fltplan style planning and fuelburn/time accuracy into foreflight.

For the price of foreflight I'd really like to not have to use both foreflight and fltplan (which is free BTW) all the time.

I suggest you compare the velocity of improvements in ForeFlight with its competition. The year started at version 6.6 and is now at 7.5, that is 9 releases (there was no release for 6.9). Some of the competing products have only released one update during this time while others have released none. Some of the highlights:

6.6 SV and MOS
6.7 Dynon SkyView, ScratchPad Upgrade, and Global Graphical Winds Aloft
6.8 ForeFlight airport diagrams
7.0 Procedure Advisor and Chart legends
7.1 FreeFlight Ranger, Delta downloads, New weather imagery
7.2 Stratus 1S, 2S, W&B Sync, Garmin GDL88
7.3 Garmin 2 way flightplan transfer
7.4 ForeFlight Briefing, Enhanced weather graphical, Auto track logs
7.5 Logbook, Forecast discussions

Bring fltplan style planning and fuelburn/time accuracy into foreflight.

For the price of foreflight I'd really like to not have to use both foreflight and fltplan (which is free BTW) all the time.

I keep reading this but continue to be mystified by it. FF is always within a gallon or two of my actual, which is a fraction of my reserves. If I consistently found it was under or over, I'd make the adjustment in my fuel burn numbers. Personally, I'd hate to have to enter twenty parameters for fuel burn for every tail number in FF.

What suggestions do you have for missing or desirable features?

I think it's a little unfair to imply they've been sitting around doing nothing for the past year.

Like someone else said, fltplan.com style fuel burn and performance numbers. At the same power setting, aircraft have different TAS at different altitudes. Combine this with winds and it's helpful for picking an altitude.

Also, terrain alerting, 500ft call out and VNAV planning. This stuff seems so simple, and pretty much all the other packages have it, but not FF.

SV should be added to the iPhone. I can find room for an iPhone in the panel. iPad, not so much.

Today I have Pro with SV - cost is $175/year.

If I allow my current plan to lapse, can I sign-up the day after my plan lapses, purchase the same $175/year plan I have, and purchase through iTunes?

Looks like it. I have the same Pro/SV combination and after the subscription expired, I saw the options in-app to either renew for the same price or upgrade to Pro Plus.

Previously I had auto-renewal, so I didn't see these options until I turned that off and let the subscription lapse.

Looks like it. I have the same Pro/SV combination and after the subscription expired, I saw the options in-app to either renew for the same price or upgrade to Pro Plus.

Previously I had auto-renewal, so I didn't see these options until I turned that off and let the subscription lapse.

Just FYI, the option to renew my previous plan at $175 went away after the 7 day grace period expired. Guess I'll to to Pro Plus...

Just FYI, the option to renew my previous plan at $175 went away after the 7 day grace period expired. Guess I'll to to Pro Plus...

That's their plan...scummy marketing to sell you what you don't need.

They just added the export feature. Still have some fine tuning to do but I like the product.

Back