ForeFlight Logbook - version 7.5 released

Import from common logbook export formats is simple and doesn't require ANY modification. I was able to import my exported MyFlightBook logs directly.

AFDs were also added as well. See this for more information.

I LOVE that feature, Scott. Reading my local plain-text NWS Area Forecast Discussions was part of my daily routine. To have simple access to all of them--and color coded for aviation concerns--is fantastic. While I understand why it does so, I do wish it didn't pop down to the Aviation section automatically. I scroll up and read from the top for the larger synoptic picture and thoughts.

It looks like what used to be the "Pro" version is now "Pro Plus" and they combined a few features into it. I guess that's why think it justified the price increase. I liked the old plan better because I don't want synthetic vision but did like the georeferenced approach plates.

And SV now costs $200. Eep. :(

More accurately, the Pro Plus package costs $199.99/year and adds all these features:

Geo-reference approaches & taxi charts
Plates on Maps
Hazard Advisor
Profile View (for terrain avoidance)
Synthetic Vision
Cloud Documents
Flight Notifications

Basically stuff of interest to Instrument pilots.

What is the point of calling both plans "Plus"? Can I have a non-plus plan and pay less?

Edit: Okay, missed the ability to build your own plan. I guess those are the non plus plans.

Last edited:
Man... that's some BS.

What is the point of calling both plans "Plus"? Can I have a non-plus plan and pay less? :roll eyes:

Edit: Okay, missed the ability to build your own plan. I guess those are the non plus plans.

There was also a note on one of the pages that if you're happy with your current plan, just make sure you're set to auto-renew and you can stay on the legacy plan.

Since we fly VFR, I'd like to have the basic plan, PLUS Geo referenced taxi diagrams. I don't need the geo-ref'd approach plates. Yet.

You can still get the regular base subscription. It's just now cheaper to buy the Basic Plus bundle if you want SV, Logbook, and/or W&B.

There was also a note on one of the pages that if you're happy with your current plan, just make sure you're set to auto-renew and you can stay on the legacy plan.

correct:
If you are pleased with the plan you have now, simply make sure your account is set to auto-renew and you will continue to renew with your current plan.

There's also a "Build Your Own Plan" hidden down at the bottom, with the old pricing scheme.

More accurately, the Pro Plus package costs $199.99/year and adds all these features:

Geo-reference approaches & taxi charts
Plates on Maps
Hazard Advisor
Profile View (for terrain avoidance)
Synthetic Vision
Cloud Documents
Flight Notifications

Basically stuff of interest to Instrument pilots.

So, now instead of paying $149 for all of that except SV, I have to pay 1/3 more for a feature I don't use.

So, now instead of paying $149 for all of that except SV, I have to pay 1/3 more for a feature I don't use.

You can still pay $149. Click on "Build your own plan" down at the bottom.

Do they seriously think their Logbook is worth $50/year?

Myflightbook does a better job at a cost of $0/year.

The downside of "auto renew" is that I lose the ability to pay via itunes cards that I buy at a 20% discount.

It's an extra $25/year, since Synthetic vision added a cost on top of of the regular $149/year plan.

In reality you're just paying $25/yr for SV, Logbook, and W&B on top of the base subscription.

The downside of "auto renew" is that I lose the ability to pay via itunes cards that I buy at a 20% discount.

You don't have to auto-renew.

Build your own plan is an option at the bottom of the pricing screen.

Lots of knee-jerk angry posts going on without everybody fully reading the pricing page ;)

It's an extra $25/year, since Synthetic vision added a cost on top of of the regular $149/year plan.

OK, again, no need for SV, and they seem to think Logbook is worth $50/year.

It's right there on the "build your own" page.

You don't have to auto-renew.

Build your own plan is an option at the bottom of the pricing screen.

Lots of knee-jerk angry posts going on without everybody fully reading the pricing page ;)

However, can you buy a "build your own plan" from inside the app, thereby using your iTunes credits?

Honestly, looks like the Logbook app wasn't selling very well on it's own (it provided very little value), so they bundle it in with the more popular app and hike the price 1/3.

I'm not so sure that "logbook" should have been the highest priority on this release. There is still no option for any kind of VNAV, nor terrain audio alerting. Seems like much lower hanging fruit than trying to implement a logbook.

Oh well, I guess every customer has their own priorities, but I didn't hear a lot of clamoring for a logbook feature from anyone else either.

As one of the many knee-jerkers, maybe its an indication the pricing page isn't clear?

Or more likely its designed that way purposely to direct people to the new more expensive plans.

Troy,

As I mention in the blog if you are viewing the discussion from the Airports view, just tap on Forecast Discussion menu selection and it'll scroll to the beginning. If we didn't scroll to the aviation section, we'd have the same complaints of why we don't scroll there first. It's easier to scroll to the top than it is to hunt for the aviation section which could be literally anywhere in the discussion.

NICE! I did read your blog post in its entirety. But, I missed the "double tap the 'Forecast Discussion' label to scroll to the top" part. It works as described, thank you.

As one of the many knee-jerkers, maybe its an indication the pricing page isn't clear?

Or more likely its designed that way purposely to direct people to the new more expensive plans.

There are really only two cases where the Basic Plus is not the cheapest deal:
1) You want only the base subscription (no add-ons) ($74.99)
2) You only want W&B ($74.99 + $15 = $89.99)

Speaking personally as a VFR pilot and previous FF user who as been out of the pilots seat for a few years and about to hop back in, #1 is the option I was looking for :D

I don't have a need for W&B or Logbook, at least at the moment. But I am very excited to try out the new flight planning and weather features.

There are really only two cases where the Basic Plus is not the cheapest deal:
1) You want only the base subscription (no add-ons) ($74.99)
2) You only want W&B ($74.99 + $15 = $89.99)

Last edited:

Of course it's designed to direct people to the more expensive plans, however those of us who read everything before freaking out don't have a difficult time with it. :D

touché :lol:

Of course it's designed to direct people to the more expensive plans, however those of us who read everything before freaking out don't have a difficult time with it. :D

OK, so it's just intended to sucker people in then. Gotcha.

It may be legal, but it's still a slimy marketing practice.

I've got a Pro subscription with SV. When I try to access the logbook feature now it tells me I need to buy the ProPlus before using it.

Looks like after I finish up my IFR training I'm going to be spending close to $600/year for digital map downloads between FF and my garmin430 updates.

:rolleyes2:

I love FF and they're not the worst offender here but my god that's a lot of money for just reformatting and distributing charts from the FAA...

It looks like what used to be the "Pro" version is now "Pro Plus" and they combined a few features into it. I guess that's why think it justified the price increase. I liked the old plan better because I don't want synthetic vision but did like the georeferenced approach plates.

The old plans are still available, but are not the default packaging.

One other complaint: Purchases default to "auto-renew". I hate that. ASK me if you want me to opt-in for auto-renew. Don't just do it!

I renewed using my NAFI discount. But if it gets much more expensive I'll settle for Wing X or FlyQ which are free to CFIs.

I've got a Pro subscription with SV. When I try to access the logbook feature now it tells me I need to buy the ProPlus before using it.

I figured out the same things. While the logbook feature looks great, I can't justify an extra $25/year over my DIY spreadsheet.

Back