ForeFlight Logbook - version 7.5 released

If you get the Basic Plus subscription, the logbook and weight & balance is included for and extra $25. Not $50. I am not sure why that is so difficult to understand.

OK, it's a 1/3 increase in price then.

The price wasn't bumped. You can still get the basic and pro subscription for the same price as before. If you want additional features you have to pay extra for those. We bundled both logbook and weight & balance into a new plan which costs $25 more because it offers more features. Each release we continue to add more capabilities to the app and those are more often than not added for free. In this last release we added area forecast discussions which are available to all subscribers.

However, you removed the old versions from in-app purchase, which, since my wife purchased iTunes credit for my Christmas present requires me to either buy features that are of no use to me, or pay again.

It's a scummy marketting tactic pure and simple.

The Basic subscription was not changed. So no increase there. If you want ADD optional features to the basic plan (now called Basic Plus), that plan is $25 more because it includes logbook and weight & balance. But you have the option to just stick with the basic plan for the same price at no addition charge.

Why then did you remove these options from in-app purchasing, if not to fleece those who don't go to the website?

The two options available for in-app purchasing today are 1/3 more than they were a week ago.

This is a much more pleasant discussion with adding four or five posters to the ignore list. They are always the same ones with the same tired complaints and same anti-capitalistic points of view. They demand everything for free and think that businesses are obligated to do what they deem to be the only way to run a business. I seriously doubt any of them have ever run a business, or certainly a successful one. But they have posted tens of thousands of posts to enlighten all of us with their wisdom. I will miss them. :nonod:

This is a much more pleasant discussion with adding four or five posters to the ignore list. They are always the same ones with the same tired complaints and same anti-capitalistic points of view. They demand everything for free and think that businesses are obligated to do what they deem to be the only way to run a business. I seriously doubt any of them have ever run a business, or certainly a successful one. But they have posted tens of thousands of posts to enlighten all of us with their wisdom. I will miss them. :nonod:

John, between you and Scott D., you guys are fantastic resources to the online community. I sure hope that clowns like this down turn you off like they did to the former-resident AME medical expert (Dr. Bruce). Just know there are hundreds of other pilots that appreciate you guys and the insight you bring... even though we are the quieter ones.

Today I have Pro with SV - cost is $175/year.

If I allow my current plan to lapse, can I sign-up the day after my plan lapses, purchase the same $175/year plan I have, and purchase through iTunes?

Or in order to keep my current plan I have to sign-up for auto renewal, where billing is handled outside of iTunes?

As stated in this ForeFlight blog post...

This blog post was published at the same time the new pricing plans were released. There's no attempt here to hide anything or be slimy from a marketing standpoint. New pricing plans were being offered to those that wanted the additional features as stated in the blog.

So, I'll take that as a "No, we won't be putting the Basic and Pro versions on in-app purchasing" then. Like I said, scummy marketting to limit those who want to simply have control of their renewal to more expensive options.

Jeff. With the utmost sincerity, I think I speak for everyone here...

STFU.

One other thing...you can't export your ForeFlight logbook...so you're pretty much stuck paying them forever.

That right there is reason enough alone for me to stick with MyFlightBook. If they change it in the future I may re-consider.

I wrote to them about it, and mentioned the need to see details in a way that will let us easily complete insurance forms and 8710's. Their reply:

Full export functionality is high on our list for future revisions, so thanks for providing feedback. For now, you can see a summary report of your experience by going to plan.foreflight.com/logbook, and clicking reports. I'll also add a vote to our list for an 8710 report format.

For those of us not familiar..... What is "github"?

I shouldn't have said anything.

He mentioned voting on issues. There are several software issue trackers / software that has built in issue tracking. One of these that is in common use currently is built into a product called Github. Github is a commercial product built around an open source / free distributed version control system.

The idea of "voting" on issues allows a group of people (might be the public, but in this case it certainly isn't) to upvote a feature or bug, weighing into the team's priority.

It was professional curiosity and misplaced on this thread.

Okay, thanks. I've participated in the same idea for a few other products, just not github.

Have such a venue would be interesting for the FF dev's. But it would cease their modus operandi trend of surprise packages. And with such a large and diverse user base, it might become difficult to manage and very distracting. (I use Bungie.net and their current project Destiny as a partial example.)

Okay, thanks. I've participated in the same idea for a few other products, just not github.

Have such a venue would be interesting for the FF dev's. But it would cease their modus operandi trend of surprise packages. And with such a large and diverse user base, it might become difficult to manage and very distracting. (I use Bungie.net and their current project Destiny as a partial example.)

Ah yeah. I was also thinking about Jira. Github is kind of a darling of the open source community, and a lot of companies are using it now as well.

Unless you're a .Net shop.

Jeff. With the utmost sincerity, I think I speak for everyone here...

STFU.

Look at that, the speech police showed up to shut Jeff down. Why is his request to have all options available for in-app purchase and less valid then any other request?

It's the yelling and screaming and accusations about shoddy practices and "scummy" marketing. It turns off the audience and, more importantly, hides and distracts from the good points. Kind of like what he is accusing them of.

It's the yelling and screaming and accusations about shoddy practices and "scummy" marketing. It turns off the audience and, more importantly, hides and distracts from the good points. Kind of like what he is accusing them of.

Yelling and screaming? Really?

It is a scummy marketing practice. You take the avenue where you get 80% of your sales and you remove the options that are currently standard, replacing them with options that are 1/3 more in price, while proclaiming "Yeah, if you go to our website, and click this, then that, then this other thing, you can get your old option back".

That's about the definition of scummy marketing. Notice no "Oops, we didn't mean to do that, we'll re-add the Basic and Pro to In-App purchasing", which screams it's intentional and they're quite happy to keep it that way.

If they put the Basic and Pro back in In-App purchasing, I'll happily apologize. I don't expect I'll have to do so, though, especially because all you fanboi's have their back.

The price increase coupled with loss of iTunes payment will cause me to look at other options.

Look at that, the speech police showed up to shut Jeff down. Why is his request to have all options available for in-app purchase and less valid then any other request?

Yeah, Eppy, maybe you're late to the game, but this guy went from normal griper to complete assclown. He's going completely nuts in about 3 or 4 threads about this ForeFlight change.

It isn't gouging. There's plenty of competition in the market and I still think Foreflight is a good value. I give them max $.

Last edited:
Word up. I know .NET shops USE Github. The ones I work with just seem to look at me crosseyed when I bring it up =)

Ooh. Somewhere I missed that we were having a source control side thread! Wheeee. Source control battles!

Mercurial and Git came about nearly at the same time and to handle the same problems in the overall evolution of source control.

Git appears to have won the popularity contest between the two. GitHub appears to also have won the popularity contest between themselves and Bitbucket. (BB will do either Mercurial or Git.)

The tool chosen doesn't matter much. Knowing how to use it is a big deal though. It's sad to see professional devs confused by both systems. If they're confused, imagine what mere mortals feel, messing with either one.

Ahh computers make everything easier, don't they? :)

I wrote to them about it, and mentioned the need to see details in a way that will let us easily complete insurance forms and 8710's. Their reply:
Thanks for tracking that down. I figured they would add an export feature at some point. If they add the same feature set that MyFlightBook has I would definitely consider using that. It would be nice to consolidate things into one app and with the ability to export, should something ever happen to ForeFlight I can export it and go right back to MyFlightBook or another app.

I've always been a supporter of ForeFlight as I think it's the best app out there for flight planning. I will definitely renew my subscription and I appreciate Scott pointing out that you can still get the old packages.

As stated in this ForeFlight blog post...

This blog post was published at the same time the new pricing plans were released. There's no attempt here to hide anything or be slimy from a marketing standpoint. New pricing plans were being offered to those that wanted the additional features as stated in the blog.

Was looking for a simple yes/no. It either is or is not raining. I will research further.

Last edited:
I couldn't figure out why the fuss over paying in app, then I saw iTunes gift cards at target today... Buy one, the the second at 20% off. Is that part of the reason for wanting to purchase through iTunes? Because you want to "cheat" and get it for less??? Or are there other reasons why one would have a desire to purchase it through iTunes and not through the website?

Since when is taking advantage of an offered discount "cheating"? Do you wait to buy cars/clothes/electronics/etc until they are offered at full price?

And since the discount is offered by Apple or Target, FF still gets their full amount. One could argue FF pushing people to their website was "cheating" Apple out of their 30% cut.

To one of the recent points about only the new options being available in the AppStore, when I bought my subscription via the AppStore last Thursday, all of the options were offered. I went with the 6 month Basic for $49.95.

Because you want to "cheat" and get it for less???

Last edited:
That is why I put it in parenthesis, I don't see anything wrong with that.

I'm just wondering if that is why the need to buy it in-app, or if there's some other compelling reason for it.

I'm just wondering if that is why the need to buy it in-app, or if there's some other compelling reason for it.

The big reason is FF will credit you for your remaining subscription. For example when I mistakenly purchased in app my total was $211.99 (The full 199.99 plus tax). When I cancled and bought directly from FF they gave me $75.00 for my remaining 8months of pro, plus no tax my grand total for 1 full year of pro plus was $125.00.

EDIT: Wow I completely misread your post hahaha :mad2:

Last edited:
Whoops. My sarcasm detector seems to be functioning poorly today.

You mean quotes. I did not read your comment as that. :nonod:

It's all about keeping flying affordable. You take advantage of 100LL deals/specials when you can get them - I bet you do. Use coupons and rebates too to keeps costs affordable? And you buy things on sale?

Many people buy/get iTunes cards on sale or as gifts. Not sure I can buy $100 of apps. But since I need charts, great way to use them.

If they want new plans - good for them. Offer 20 plans if you want - I don't think anyone cares. Just allow the folks who have supported you for years the same flexibility they have had. We are not asking for anything else. If it worked in the past....

Sorry, yes, quotes, not parenthesis. Derp on me!

I get your comments about the cost. And that's fine to want the same options you've always had, but it rubs me the wrong way when someone barges in and starts being insulting to the company and its staff because they can't get their way. I've met several of the FF staff including the head honcho, and they're all great people in my opinion. I think they deserve a little respect. The product they provide, for what it delivers, is cheap if you compare it to other costs in aviation.

Just the opinion of a fanboi:)

As far as the cost all I will say is I didn't think it was too high, I bought it.

I flew from KCMA to KNYL on Saturday, after I landed the flight was ready for me to review and add to my Foreflight Logbook. My return flight was today and it didn't show up in the logbook, not sure why. I didn't do much to figure out why, the flight was bad and I noticed I was labeled in 3 PIREPS on the Foreflight maps, it was that kind of day

Ooh. Somewhere I missed that we were having a source control side thread! Wheeee. Source control battles!

Mercurial and Git came about nearly at the same time and to handle the same problems in the overall evolution of source control.

Git appears to have won the popularity contest between the two. GitHub appears to also have won the popularity contest between themselves and Bitbucket. (BB will do either Mercurial or Git.)

The tool chosen doesn't matter much. Knowing how to use it is a big deal though. It's sad to see professional devs confused by both systems. If they're confused, imagine what mere mortals feel, messing with either one.

Ahh computers make everything easier, don't they? :)
I use both... GitHub for public repos, BB for free private repos.

Back