ForeFlight integrates live aircraft traffic via FlightAware

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Requires an internet connection, so needs something like GoGo to be used in flight.

Available in all subscription levels.

More info: https://ForeFlight.com/traffic

Edit, appears to be part of upcoming release as the most current version on my iPad does not have this feature

Last edited:
Why would you not get as much information from ADSB vs Internet Traffic?

Why would you not get as much information from ADSB vs Internet Traffic?
The video answers this question

This is a solution for when you cannot connect to an ADSB-IN device

It filters traffic. The NH ANG is shooting approaches in their KC-46 and it just came over my house. Shows on ADS-B Exchange, but not the new "internet traffic feed" on flightaware. I am sure airplanes that are part of the BARR program are filter off of there as well.

It's cool and useful to see traffic in the pattern and on it's way when on the ground getting ready to take off. ADSB will do this if you are close enough to a tower. I check this out at my home airport all the time before taking off.

Looks like fun when you're sitting at home wondering who just flew overhead. Probably not real useful if you're in the cockpit being fed ADS-B in (it's disabled when it gets an adsb feed).

Last edited:
Looks like fun when you're sitting at home wondering who just flew overhead. Probably not real useful if you're in the cockpit being fed ADS-B in (it's disabled when it gets an adsb feed).

Yup, Love it! Brad Z nailed it. Probably cheap for them to integrate.

Also had a KC-46 flying 1500' over my house doing short field landings at KSJC. Would have likred this feature.

another yawner brought to you by foreflight. but I'm sure all the GA planes with gogo will take full advantage of this option.

I think the other things they added with this update are the real meat and potatoes, the traffic via the internet thing is an interesting feature that has little use in the cockpit.

another yawner brought to you by foreflight. but I'm sure all the GA planes with gogo will take full advantage of this option.
If only GA pilots ever flew on commercial aircraft with GoGo and wanted to stay engaged with what was going on around them. I'm guessing 90% of GA pilots have pulled ForeFlight out on a commercial flight for personal situational awareness / entertainment.

Yeah. But sitting by a window you can get gps on your I pad and watch your flight on the map. Makes the time go by. Or so I’ve been told - because I would never operate an electronic device while in a plane

I think the other things they added with this update are the real meat and potatoes, the traffic via the internet thing is an interesting feature that has little use in the cockpit.

what were the other updates? just curious...…...

and don't get me wrong, I do think it's a no-brainer integration that would keep me amused for a solid 4 seconds before I probably never used the feature again. but what a fun 4 seconds that would be...………………...

…………..that's what she said? anyone?

what were the other updates? just curious...…...

and don't get me wrong, I do think it's a no-brainer integration that would keep me amused for a solid 4 seconds before I probably never used the feature again. but what a fun 4 seconds that would be...………………...

…………..that's what she said? anyone?

Let's see, multitasking, you can split the screen with other multitasked enable software, and more. I guess that means you can watch pron while tracking your route.

I still wish they would let you do a split screen like Garmin Pilot does. Have the map on one side, and the checklist on the other, or an approach plate, or the nav log, or whatever.

I still wish they would let you do a split screen like Garmin Pilot does. Have the map on one side, and the checklist on the other, or an approach plate, or the nav log, or whatever.

Send them a request.

I have, more than once. They have "passed the idea to the development team" which is code word for "pound it up your azz"

Lol, maybe not, it doesn't sound like an easy thing to do, this split screen thing might be the first step.

With the upcoming multitask, you could do that. Use PDF reader or Notes.

If only GA pilots ever flew on commercial aircraft with GoGo and wanted to stay engaged with what was going on around them. I'm guessing 90% of GA pilots have pulled ForeFlight out on a commercial flight for personal situational awareness / entertainment.
Raises hand...I do that all the time. It also lets me see what is coming on my side of the plane so I can get some unique pictures. This would alert me to traffic for air-to-air pictures, but airline wifi costs too much.

Monument Valley
40570604862_49a63c2b17_c.jpg
[/url]JAK_5740 by Jack Silver

Denali from a distance
[url=https://flic.kr/p/XDqEfT]JAK_1187
by Jack Silver, on Flickr

Crater Lake
JAK_1685 by Jack Silver, on Flickr

Mt. St. Helens and Mt. Adams
JAK_1702 by Jack Silver, on Flickr[/url]

Foreflight has gone a bit overboard with the “cool” features.

Sort of marginal in terms of real world utility. I would have to agree with the notion that this is getting to be a bit much. Borderline bloatware. Possible distraction issue. Clever fun if you're sitting in the FBO? ... maybe.

It’s really cool to use in the multi window with liveatc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

One application I would find interesting is to watch the routing around the storms as weather moves through a busy space.

Agree on Jepp plates. Was more responding to checklists

I now see there is a easy link to checklists at the bottom of the page. That was actually something I had suggested a while ago. Before this is took 3 clicks to get to them.

Back