Foreflight enhancement suggestion

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
I don't know if this is even worth asking for.

I"m not IFR rated, but my wife is and I help out as much as I can. I think it would be cool if Foreflight could load an Approach onto the moving map. What I do now is overlay the approach plate on the map, then manually plug the approach points into the FPL. Is there any way Foreflight could automatically load the approach points (IAF, FAf etc) into the flight plan?
(I'm assuming it doesn't already do that and I am just ignorant of how).

I think what he means is instead of the plate being dropped on the map he just wants the waypoints dropped on the chart without the whole plate, kinda like the Garmin 530 will do on the maps page

If you select your route it then gives you the option for a procedure. Sorry the images are in reverse order

:
3461cd44d5784455ea5493c1a1b16d7a.jpg
de480fd8fca00a57bbecb7d3d5c28a72.jpg
405c9238fc55491fdb9a7b7d5ea99749.jpg
cbb31c9a0f617611e01ab4b47dc03888.jpg
1aaa1856ea1e4c6b4346bcae0631a0b8.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you select your route it then gives you the option for a procedure. Sorry the images are in reverse order

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted.

Unable to respond... too far out over water for me!

I thought about saying that today. The approach for 26 into KOMN takes you about 8 miles out over the Atlantic to the IAF (Jarrrel) I might have to start carrying life jackets and lifeboat if we do that much.

If you have the correct avionics Foreflight will load the route directly into your gps too.

If you have the correct avionics Foreflight will load the route directly into your gps too.

Kinda. Be careful with that.

Foreflight and the panel gear don’t always agree on what waypoints are in the databases, and it’ll just blow up when that happens.

Use the panel mount for IFR first. Send the changes to the iPad. Not the other way around.

Only one has the official data for navigation.

If you’re going to send from iPad to panel, actually USE that feature where the panel mount HAS to stop and ask you if you REALLY want that new flight plan. It’s not allowed to automatically accept it (the iPad can).

Just sayin. Been there done that. VMC during training. It’ll turn into one of those “what’s that thing doing now?” flight deck recordings right before the crunch if you don’t respect exactly what it’s doing. Pushing data from a non-IFR source into one.

Just be careful.

Foreflight and the panel gear don’t always agree on what waypoints are in the databases, and it’ll just blow up when that happens.

Use the panel mount for IFR first. Send the changes to the iPad. Not the other way around.

If you’re going to send from iPad to panel, actually USE that feature where the panel mount HAS to stop and ask you if you REALLY want that new flight plan. It’s not allowed to automatically accept it (the iPad can).

Just sayin. Been there done that. VMC during training. It’ll turn into one of those “what’s that thing doing now?” flight deck recordings right before the crunch if you don’t respect exactly what it’s doing. Pushing data from a non-IFR source into one.

Just be careful.

I do it enough, not all the time, but especially with longer flight plans. That said, my MO is to transfer over, then cycle through each waypoint to make sure it agrees with the flight plan I've been cleared. The charts and plates in FF are updated automatically, are my back up charts and are legal for navigation. The charts in the avionics are also up to date and legal for navigation.

That said, I still confirm all waypoints and altitudes (if applicable) in stars with the avionics charts. Sids and Approaches are loaded and checked through the avionics, never the ipad, although I will load the plate to the ff map if I have time.

You are absolutely correct to be careful though, confirming and staying ahead of the airplane are a big part of flying and surprises do happen, almost always operator error.

Thanks very much. I had been told this before, but I wasn't able to figure it out on my own, but your screen shots made it very clear! Thank you!

Huh???

It dosen't do it already... And you don't know how?
It does do that already, and I just didn't know how. But I do now.
Sounds as if you need to let your wife do more of the flying....
She already does most of the flying. She is the one with the valid medical and the IFR rating.
Drink much?
You betcha.

Just be careful.
Depends. Remember that the GNS series doesn't do airways but FF does. So, aside from approaches, SIDs and STARs, a lot of folks will transfer their enroute clearance from FF to the panel so they don't have to enter a dozen+ waypoints one by one.

Don't know if this is interesting or not. One of the earliest items on my ForeFlight wish list was split screen capability. One of the developers did a presentation at my flying club so I asked about it. He asked me what I would use it for. I said it would be nice to be able to see the weather and the approach plate at the same time. He said, "We have something we're working on. I can't talk about it but I think you will like it."

It was plates over maps. My wish list got shorter that day.

What (portable) I've been using has been doing this since before Foreflight was a thing. And you guys think it's groundbreaking. iKoolaid...nom nom nom

"Wow, ForeFlight does this now!" doesn't automatically mean "No one has ever done this before, anywhere."
No, but the hype and implied posts are that it is so revolutionary only FF could have come up with it. Meanwhile it's been in other applications for years before FF was here.

Still waiting on a profile view that shows weather... cloud layers and such. My laptop app back in the day did that years before iPads existed.
Garmin pilot does this

Kinda. Not as detailed as the old laptop app.

It took FF decades to do a profile view though and when they did, only for airspace.

Not bad for a product on the market for 11 years and the first iPad coming up on its completion of the its first decade next April. :)

It took FF decades to do a profile view though and when they did, only for airspace.

Decades??? It's barely even existed for one decade. Exaggerate much?

Also, the profile view started with terrain, not airspace. That came later.

Decades??? It's barely even existed for one decade. Exaggerate much?

Also, the profile view started with terrain, not airspace. That came later.

Okay the pc app was two decades ago. LOL.

You’d think FF would figure it out by now. :)

I'm going to do it, yep, upgrade Foreflight to 3d and performance flight plan level, too lazy to look it up, but it's going to cost me an extra $100 per year. Waiting for the next incentive to do it.

Phones/Tablets are not PCs.

But they have no problem whatsoever doing this particular feature. You’re the one arguing that AutoCAD doesn’t run on them.

LOL. I’m just saying FF doesn’t do a feature my tablet PC did 20 years ago in aviation. And others have pointed out their competitors do.

Dragging it off into the weeds of “tablets aren’t PCs” is all you. LOL. iOS can certainly display weather on a profile view. When they finally got... a profile view... which they were very late to the table with.

That wasn’t the fault of the tablet not being a PC. :)

That's not completely accurate. Long before Foreflight Mobile there was a Foreflight which was a PC-based weather program. One of the current principals was the developer. I was a beta tester. You can actually find remnants of the original website on Wayback. Here's February, 2006.

https://web.archive.org/web/20060215105032/http://foreflight.com/

Hmmm. Once upon a time, I had a copy of ForeFlight Desktop too, but I thought it was after the mobile version was out - And I'm pretty sure the mobile version began its life as a web app before there was an app store. It's all running together now...

Hmmm. Once upon a time, I had a copy of ForeFlight Desktop too, but I thought it was after the mobile version was out - And I'm pretty sure the mobile version began its life as a web app before there was an app store. It's all running together now...
Out of curiosity I Googled the release date of the first iPhone. The iPhone was more than a year after the date of this web capture.

Back