Foreflight 5 is here.

I'd like to see the ability to load approaches instead of having to enter each individual waypoint.
We all would.

Not allowing the automatic loading of approaches on a VFR-only unit is a convention that appeared as early as the Garmin handhelds series. I'm guessing there was some liability concern with making it too easy for pilots to use them for unapproved purposes in a situation where stats say most instrument accidents happen. It may simply be that FF (and the others; AFAIK none of the iPad apps allow this) is concerned about bucking what has sort of become standard industry practice in this respect.

We all would.

Not allowing the automatic loading of approaches on a VFR-only unit is a convention that appeared as early as the Garmin handhelds series. I'm guessing there was some liability concern with making it too easy for pilots to use them for unapproved purposes in a situation where stats say most instrument accidents happen. It may simply be that FF (and the others; AFAIK none of the iPad apps allow this) is concerned about bucking what has sort of become standard industry practice in this respect.

My Garmin 295 would load all approach waypoints from a menu of approaches for the destination airport. I used it all the time as an overlay.

Went flying today. Taxi diagrams didn't come up on roll out. Do I need to change a setting or something?

I think you need the Pro subscription and it must be an airport with taxi diagrams.

I am liking the new features. I wish the terrain was higher resolution as well. Why not make an option to download terrain in sections like the maps. Then you only get what you need and could get much higher res. Also, I really wish when you plan a flight that it would show a an elevation chart. Would be nice to quickly see that my plan for 4000 ft wont clear me over that 4200 ft mountain on the way.

The new Hazard warning is not good for flt planning in this case. Once at our initial cruise altitude if anything along your flight path is yellow(<1000') or red(<100'), then we know to go on up higher.

There is an "Auto Show Taxi" under Settings that seems to be enabled by default. Do you have that enabled? I'm assuming the airport in question does have a separate taxi diagram and that you had it downloaded.

I think you need the Pro subscription and it must be an airport with taxi diagrams.

I don't have Pro, so that may explain it. Though I do have it in options to turn it on (it was on) - maybe I just wasn't paying attention? I'll check it out again and make sure I was doing it right. I had it on "airport" mode because I was getting the frequencies more than looking at the sectional last night.

Another good experience with FF tech support! A couple days ago I noticed a problem where significant obstacles were not showing up in the obstacle layer, even when directly in line with the course. With the VFR sectional view it's not such a problem because you can still see it on the underlying map, but if you have a different base map showing, or are using the hazard advisor to show you yellow/red obstacles, then you'd be missing certain ones (not good!).

However, I emailed FF late last night with a screenshot and in response they've adjusted their obstacle database and published a notice on the website: http://blog.foreflight.com/2013/03/27/bulletin-obstacles-legends-and-pilots-guide-updates/

See below for the example of the bug as it was being presented. Check just north of Rolesville in the center of the image, left of the course line. There's big 1199' AGL obstacle shown on the sectional but no white icon indicating it's in the separate obstacle database layer.
34rx537.jpg

My Garmin 295 would load all approach waypoints from a menu of approaches for the destination airport. I used it all the time as an overlay.
Interesting. My 296 and 396 would only load the FAF to the runway, not the full procedure.

Interesting. My 296 and 396 would only load the FAF to the runway, not the full procedure.

Perhaps I am remembering incorrectly, but I thought it had the various waypoints. Haven't had it out of my flight bag in several years.

Went flying today. Taxi diagrams didn't come up on roll out. Do I need to change a setting or something?

You must go to the plates page to see the autotaxi. Did you do that? You also need Pro to see where you are on the plate.

Thanks for the link. I'm aware of the limits of the ADS-B "in" devices to see traffic, but was not aware that ForeFlight had so clearly stated they wouldn't be supporting it in its current form. In that case yes, I see no reason why they'd suddenly activate it.

I can think of at least three reasons. One, I can't imagine what else they could possibly add regarding Stratus that would justify a teaser on their blog. Stratus is a pretty basic FIS-B/TIS-B device, and they already have the FIS-B stuff displaying on the map. Two, their competitors all display traffic. And three, I suspect there are now significantly more aircraft with ADS-B Out that are transmitting in airspace where TIS-B service is available, making it far more likely that you will receive useful information through a triggered TIS-B transmission.

JKG

You must go to the plates page to see the autotaxi. Did you do that? You also need Pro to see where you are on the plate.

Wow. So it doesn't automatically switch from the map to the taxi diagram on landing? If not, it wouldn't seem as though there's much "auto" about it.

JKG

Perhaps I am remembering incorrectly, but I thought it had the various waypoints. Haven't had it out of my flight bag in several years.

I don't believe that my Garmin 195 or 396 loaded all of the approach waypoints. Pretty sure it was just the FAF.

JKG

Wow. So it doesn't automatically switch from the map to the taxi diagram on landing? If not, it wouldn't seem as though there's much "auto" about it.

JKG

If you were flying an instrument approach on an instrument plate, it would automatically switch without you doing anything. You would already be on the correct page!

If you were flying an instrument approach on an instrument plate, it would automatically switch without you doing anything. You would already be on the correct page!

Yes, but that specific situation isn't the only time I would need the diagram. I taxi at the end of every flight, but often do not fly instrument approach procedures. If it's going to be automated, the behavior should be consistent based on the use case. Whether I am using an instrument or visual approach is irrelevant to whether I am going to need to taxi when I land.

JKG

But the instrument approach would be up, not the "plates" page, right? I mean, if you're shooting an ILS is it really accurate enough to know the difference between 200ft and the ground if you're going missed?

But the instrument approach would be up, not the "plates" page, right? I mean, if you're shooting an ILS is it really accurate enough to know the difference between 200ft and the ground if you're going missed?

I think it triggers it based on GPS-derived speed. Garmin Pilot switches to SmartTaxi diagram below 40 kts, if I recall correctly. You'd be in a stall/spin to be at that speed on a missed approach.

JKG

I know that it isnt 100% ideal but it was created to help reduce pages and clicks to get to the taxi diagram.

Now it is one push of plates button if you are not already there and you have the taxi diagram up. I love the feature think it is the best feature they produced in the 5.0 release for us flatlanders who dont have terrain.

What "instrument approach"? :confused:

If I have a pro subscription and am using Foreflight on an instrument approach, the only thing I'm going to have on my screen is the approach plate. It isn't primary guidance just cuz a little airplane icon is flying down the glide lope depiction.

Maybe I misunderstand what you are saying?

JKG

I agree. I didn't know this either. You can just select your destination airport diagram before even leaving the ground and then tap the plates button when you have the airport in sight. :dunno:

Both the approach and the taxi diagram are on the plates view. I haven't had a chance to see it in operation yet but I'll be curious. With alll the questions, about it, it would be nice if they posted a video of it in operation.

It doesn't need to be accurate enough to know whether your 200' and the ground; it works off of your speed being below 40 kts. Even with a pretty good headwind one would hope you're above that on an ILS missed approach.

I think it triggers it based on GPS-derived speed. Garmin Pilot switches to SmartTaxi diagram below 40 kts, if I recall correctly. You'd be in a stall/spin to be at that speed on a missed approach.

Groundspeed, boy, groundspeed.

I was up flying with Foreflight today and realized I really like a feature that WingX has that I can't locate in in Foreflight. That feature is the ability to highlight airspace. Am I missing that setting in Foreflight or is it not a feature?

I was up flying with Foreflight today and realized I really like a feature that WingX has that I can't locate in in Foreflight. That feature is the ability to highlight airspace. Am I missing that setting in Foreflight or is it not a feature?

As far as I know, it's a WingX feature only.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by highlighted airspace but as I flew through several MOA's and military fields today I thought it would be a nice feature to have highlighted active MOA's on Foreflight.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by highlighted airspace but as I flew through several MOA's and military fields today I thought it would be a nice feature to have highlighted active MOA's on Foreflight.

WingX has a feature that will give you airspace info by tapping once on the airspace on the sectional. ForeFlight gives airspace info, but you have to "tap and hold" for the info to pop up. I think that's what the OP was referring to.

WingX has a feature that will give you airspace info by tapping once on the airspace on the sectional. ForeFlight gives airspace info, but you have to "tap and hold" for the info to pop up. I think that's what the OP was referring to.

You can change the setting to be "just tap"

Lots of misunderstandings of the new features here....

First of all, the auto-taxi feature DOES bring up the taxi diagram with no user intervention, and without pre-loading it into Plates. All you have to do is land at an airport with a taxi diagram and it'll come up as you slow through 40 knots on the landing roll. This feature requires a Pro subscription.

There's more than one terrain feature added in this release. The terrain map is a base map only and is activated instead of a sectional/enroute/street map. What I think people are wanting to call "terrain" is the Hazard Advisor. That is a separate item in the map menu that can be overlaid on the charts and requires a Pro subscription.

Terrain map:
ejy7a5az.jpg

Hazard Advisor:
by8a7uzu.jpg

Hello everyone,

First of all, the auto-taxi feature DOES bring up the taxi diagram with no user intervention, and without pre-loading it into Plates. All you have to do is land at an airport with a taxi diagram and it'll come up as you slow through 40 knots on the landing roll. This feature requires a Pro subscription.

I do not have a pro subscription and this feature works for me. Did it today.

James

Didn't work for me today... again. Flew to RYN and back to CHD.. have both diagrams and even ahve them in the "plates" section.

Didn't work for me today... again. Flew to RYN and back to CHD.. have both diagrams and even ahve them in the "plates" section.
Didn't work for me either and I do have the pro subscription.
I had to manually bring up the taxi diagram both at start up and after landing (unless of course I was taxiing at over 40 knots).

Do you have the "Show Auto Taxi" setting turned on in settings?

I had to manually bring up the taxi diagram both at start up and after landing (unless of course I was taxiing at over 40 knots).

I think based on what I read in the manual, it should only pop up after landing. Don't think it is smart enough to do it when you start taxiing.

This might help as well. Are you seeing the geo referenced function? App age looks to be an issue too.

I bought ForeFlight Pro but geo-referencing isn't showing up.
Follow these troubleshooting tips:
Go into 'Accounts' and confirm that your plan reads 'ForeFlight Pro'. If not, wait 10 seconds for the plan to download to your device. If it still doesn't show up, try signing out of your account and then signing back in.
Go to the 'About' screen, located in the 'More' tab on the iPad and in the 'About' icon on the iPhone. At the top of the screen is the version number - make sure it reads 3.9 or higher. If it reads 3.8 or lower, you'll need to update the app from the App Store.
Go to 'Downloads' and make sure you have downloaded the latest version of the Airport Database and Terminal Procedures.
Make sure you are viewing a plate or diagram that has geo-referencing. Geo-referencing is not available on arrivals, departures, text documents, and airports outside of the United States.
If you see the faint blue box but do not see your aircraft position, that means your GPS is having a problem getting a fix. See our GPS tips for help.

What I mean is that WingX will draw lines on top of class B, C, D, etc. airspace to have it stand out. I know this is already part of a sectional, but it helps when you quickly glance at it.

Attachments

• IMG_0047.PNG
    IMG_0047.PNG
    5.8 MB · Views: 57
Lots of misunderstandings of the new features here....

There's more than one terrain feature added in this release. The terrain map is a base map only and is activated instead of a sectional/enroute/street map. What I think people are wanting to call "terrain" is the Hazard Advisor. That is a separate item in the map menu that can be overlaid on the charts and requires a Pro subscription.

No misunderstanding here. One is useful if you want to pay for it. The other one is useless but since you don't pay extra I guess you can't complain.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I do not have a pro subscription and this feature works for me. Did it today.

James

Yeah I don't have the pro version either and the auto taxi kicked on for me too at both airports during my last XC. I was really surprised by it the first time I noticed it. It was really cool honestly. I did not notice if it orientates itself automatically but that would be really awesome.

One thing I noticed was when I took off from Stewart airport in New York I made a departure where I climbed basically back over the middle of the airport several 1,000 feet above it( the runway there is 11,000 feet so by the time I made my climb I was almost at cruising altitude above the runway) and the auto taxi activated. I'm not sure if it is just a quirk but I'm curious too how the auto taxi is activated.

I really like this Foreflight program. I'll be a subscriber for a long time!

Last edited:
What I mean is that WingX will draw lines on top of class B, C, D, etc. airspace to have it stand out. I know this is already part of a sectional, but it helps when you quickly glance at it.

The problem with NOT drawing the airspace overlays (even on WingX) is that the sectionals do not always depict accurate boundaries of the airspace relative to a GPS position. ForeFlight has acknowledged this problem, and attributed blame to the way that the FAA digitizes the sectionals.

JKG

The problem with NOT drawing the airspace overlays (even on WingX) is that the sectionals do not always depict accurate boundaries of the airspace relative to a GPS position. ForeFlight has acknowledged this problem, and attributed blame to the way that the FAA digitizes the sectionals.

JKG
It's a general problem with GPS going way back. A recommendation to give yourself a few miles of clearance rather than use GPS to go right up against it has existed for a long time.

Back