ForeFlight 4.0 is out!

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Woohoo! Those guys have been working hard, and I've been working hard at breaking it.

There are some REALLY great improvements... And I'll put in a longer message here showing some of them off. :)

So, why doesn't the AF/D section work?
Mine keeps saying "no known AF/D page"for the different airports.

So... New stuff:

1) New Nav log, with numbers for both total and leg:

web.png

Also, note the color-coding of the legs: The purple leg is the active leg, the orange leg is a "past" leg, and the blue leg is a "future" leg.

BTW, there's nothing in the "remaining" fields except distance simply because I wasn't moving when I took that screen shot. That's also why my groundspeed and track are -------- and my position is shown as just a dot instead of an airplane.

So, why doesn't the AF/D section work?
Mine keeps saying "no known AF/D page"for the different airports.

You'll need to reload the airport database - The previous database didn't contain that data.

It looks like there's a new data set available today, too.

You'll need to reload the airport database - The previous database didn't contain that data.

It looks like there's a new data set available today, too.

Yes, the data set for 5 may start date downloaded, is there a new download for the current cycle? Thanks.

Edit: FF is telling me it downloaded the current cycle update, but no AF/D data.

Last edited:
Speaking of which, there are now actual A/FD pages available, like Bill mentioned:

web.png

And, as I mentioned, you'll need to download the new data for this to work.

Ok, I went back into FF setup and told it to reload the download page, after a few minutes it said there was another download available. That turned out to be the needed data file for the AF/D, Thanks!!

When I do a search of ForeFlight, I get several choices. Which is the correct for Ipad? Foreflight mobile hd aviation weather, flight planning and charts? One year is 74.99?

Dave

Ok, I'm working form my iPad and bouncing between programs with no problem. But how do you get the screen shot pasted into your post?

When I do a search of ForeFlight, I get several choices. Which is the correct for Ipad? Foreflight mobile hd aviation weather, flight planning and charts? One year is 74.99?

Dave

Yes, and the upgrade to $150 will get your aircraft plotted on the approach plate.

Big, Mondo, HUGE improvement: The new Plates tab, and plate binders. You can pre-load a "binder" with all of the plates you want for a flight (and save multiple binders for frequenly-flown routes, as shown below), or get to them the "traditional" way through the airports tab, but either way you can flip back and forth between the enroute and the approach plate with a single tap:

web.png

Also, the multi-page takeoff mins/ODP style stuff can now be swiped back and forth to turn pages instead of using arrow buttons. (except multi-page SIDs and STARs... Not yet. But at least now you can add both pages to the binder and still get back and forth pretty easily.)

EDIT: I forgot to mention that you can now print your entire binder with a single push of the button you see on the screen above - Much easier than finding and printing individual plates!

Last edited:
Ok, I'm working form my iPad and bouncing between programs with no problem. But how do you get the screen shot pasted into your post?
Push and hold the power button. Then while holding it push the main button. You will see a white flash and heat a camera noise. the screen shot is now in your photos.

Dave,

That's the one - The app itself is free, and there are two (mutually exclusive) subscriptions available: $75/year gets you everything BUT georeferenced approach plates and airport diagrams, $150/year gets you everything INCLUDING georeferenced approach plates and airport diagrams.

Here's a direct link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/foreflight-mobile-hd-aviation/id333252638?mt=8

I'm taking the screen shots on the iPad, switching to Photos and hitting the share button to upload them to MobileMe...

But since I can type a lot faster on my laptop, I'm "cheating" and I am posting to PoA on my laptop, with one tab on PoA and another on my MobileMe gallery to grab the URL's as they're uploaded.

It could be done the same way on the iPad, but it'd take me a bit longer.

EDIT: Yeah, those other guys have the correct description for actually taking a screen shot (home + power buttons simultaneously) but it didn't sound to me like that was your question...

Another thing people have been asking for: AIRSPACE!!!

Now, instead of "tap and hold for 1/2 second" to bring up the "touch planning" popup, just a tap brings it up - And it will show airspace information (make sure you have "All" selected, if you select only airports or waypoints for example, airspace doesn't show up).

web.png

EDIT: Oh yeah, there's User waypoints available now! Note the "+" to the right of "add this coordinate to route" - That'll create a user waypoint. Those, as well as accounts and aircraft management, are all now under the "More" tab. :)

web.png

Last edited:
The HUD is now also configurable - Many new options for what to have on the bottom of your screen (and not the whole list is shown here, you can scroll down and also get ETE, ETA, Distance, or Bearing to destination, Zulu time, or blank):

web.png

OBTW...

ETE/ETA in GPS/flight mode

No regular airspace depiction though.

The A/FD

NavLog

Done, Done, Done, Done...

- In-Flight updates of ETE and ETA at every waypoint still ahead on the plan

Done...

If the little box of waypoints updated distance-to, ETE, ETA in there, in UTC... that'd be ultra-nifty.

Done...

Is there an easy way to switch between the approach plate and the map view and back?

being able to do a 1-tap back and forth between the en route and approach chart would be a good feature

Done...

It doesn't really have the actual A/FD pages. At least not that I can find. The most important info is there, but not the actual A/FD.

Done...

particularly special use airspace info

Even neater would context-sensitive explanation of the stuff on the sectional. For example, hover over (or some special click on) an MOA and get the relevant information. Maybe it does it - I don't have any EFB.

... and Done! :D :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I'm taking the screen shots on the iPad, switching to Photos and hitting the share button to upload them to MobileMe...

But since I can type a lot faster on my laptop, I'm "cheating" and I am posting to PoA on my laptop, with one tab on PoA and another on my MobileMe gallery to grab the URL's as they're uploaded.

It could be done the same way on the iPad, but it'd take me a bit longer.

EDIT: Yeah, those other guys have the correct description for actually taking a screen shot (home + power buttons simultaneously) but it didn't sound to me like that was your question...

Correct, I can do the screen shots, but not using MobileMe, only the generic iPad photo program and PS Express, can email/share, but not copy paste into another app.

Correct, I can do the screen shots, but not using MobileMe, only the generic iPad photo program and PS Express, can email/share, but not copy paste into another app.

Well... Here's a test of posting a pic thru tapatalk on the iPad.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1304393274.634598.jpg

This is what you get when punching the arrow buttons in the nav log - direct to, or fly leg - kinda like on the Garmin boxes!

Is there any way to view the legends for sectional, Terminal, LoEnroute, and approach charts?

Like it so far.

I found out my new office has horrid -- and I don't just mean bad, I mean completely unusable -- AT&T mobile data service today in the "Denver Tech Center" (uh...?).

Phone calls work and you have 3-4 "bars". It's seriously god-awful. The free WiFi at Panera Bread a block away during peak lunch rush was the only thing that worked to download anything larger than a five line e-mail all day.

Phone battery was dead in less than 8 hours, struggling with the awful signals.

Only down-side of the new job so far. ;) Everything else was cool.

May need to see if anyone on a VZ iPhone is faring any better. Might shove me right off of AT&T, not that I wasn't standing at the edge of the ledge looking over as if to jump anyway...

Guess my thought that I'd "treat" myself to iPad data on a more regular basis was just blown to bits. Could get a VZ MiFi to test also... but whatever. No matter how you slice it, AT&T seriously sucks at the new office... way beyond sucks, really.

Is there any way to view the legends for sectional, Terminal, LoEnroute, and approach charts?

In ForeFlight? Not directly. Though, you could simply download a PDF of the Aeronautical Chart User's Guide into iBooks or GoodReader and you'd have more detail anyway.

I have to take my wife's Ipad and load foreflight on it,... it might just disappear this summer / fall occasionally :)

I'd thought about delaying my iPad purchase....this is motivating....AuGHhhhhhhh the AGONY!!!!

Well I was able to get everything downloaded last night and will start experimenting with this when I can. Neat stuff!! I just got all the charts and plates; no georeferencing for now. I have three GPSes in the plane already. This will save a bundle on paper charts; although, I probably still print some departure and arrival stuff.
The initial set up of this was sure a PITA (not Foreflight). Passwords and credit cards galore to get I Tunes working and get the download of Foreflight. Now that it's done, looking forward to becoming an adept user <g>

Best,

Dave

Nice! The navigation is greatly improved.

In ForeFlight? Not directly. Though, you could simply download a PDF of the Aeronautical Chart User's Guide into iBooks or GoodReader and you'd have more detail anyway.

I think that this, and the other pages in the AF/D (like VOT and VOR testing facilities) are the only things that I see still missing now.

Loving what I'm seeing for the updates! I'll have to DL it tonight.

Downloading the update now; thanks for the overview with screen shots, Kent. Nice set of improvements.

Question I've yet to figure out is how to keep downloads of chart updates from suspending when my screen goes blank after I've not touched it in a few minutes. I don't see a "prevent from sleeping while downloading updates" option. Am I missing something obvious? I bet I am.

I'm plugged in to hard power...

Downloading the update now; thanks for the overview with screen shots, Kent. Nice set of improvements.

Question I've yet to figure out is how to keep downloads of chart updates from suspending when my screen goes blank after I've not touched it in a few minutes. I don't see a "prevent from sleeping while downloading updates" option. Am I missing something obvious? I bet I am.

I'm plugged in to hard power...

Under more then settings you can prevent it from sleeping while ff is running

I'd thought about delaying my iPad purchase....this is motivating....AuGHhhhhhhh the AGONY!!!!

Might as well buy it now - We're still fairly early in the product cycle, there's not likely to be another new iPad until sometime next spring. Much better to buy now than in, say, December (/Jan/Feb/Mar) if you like having the latest and greatest.

Hmmm... It was set to always stay on when on the downloads tab several revisions ago - Some things were "rebuilt" for improved performance in 4.0, so this might have been overlooked. I posted a message to the beta forum. Haven't tried it myself though.

What you can do is go to More->Settings in ForeFlight and turn off the "Allow device to sleep" option. That'll keep the chart always on while you're flying too. Just be sure that when you're NOT flying that you don't leave FF open and quit paying attention to the iPad as it'll stay on and track itself right until you have a dead battery.

Also, note that presently after you change that allow device to sleep option, you'll need to exit and re-enter ForeFlight for the change to take effect. (Already got a message in to review that too.)

Neat stuff!!

Sure is! I had been looking for something like this to do just approach plates for several years before the iPad came out - The iPad does way more than any of the previous "Solutions" and it works way better and costs less than the older ones as well. I'm a very happy camper. :)

This will save a bundle on paper charts; although, I probably still print some departure and arrival stuff.

That's another new thing in this version that I forgot to mention (original post is now edited) - You can now put together a "binder" for your flight in the Plates tab and have it print all the plates in the binder with just a tap on the Print button on the Binder view. So, it's quite easy to print the plates you want for backup, too. :thumbsup:

Well I was able to get everything downloaded last night and will start experimenting with this when I can. Neat stuff!! I just got all the charts and plates; no georeferencing for now. I have three GPSes in the plane already. This will save a bundle on paper charts; although, I probably still print some departure and arrival stuff.
The initial set up of this was sure a PITA (not Foreflight). Passwords and credit cards galore to get I Tunes working and get the download of Foreflight. Now that it's done, looking forward to becoming an adept user <g>

Best,

Dave
I could live quite happily without georeferenced approach plates but I really like the ability to see my location and path on airport diagrams. I wish FF would offer just that for less than the full $75 upcharge for geo plates.

I could live quite happily without georeferenced approach plates but I really like the ability to see my location and path on airport diagrams. I wish FF would offer just that for less than the full $75 upcharge for geo plates.

My understanding is that they are one and the same.

Hmmm... It was set to always stay on when on the downloads tab several revisions ago - Some things were "rebuilt" for improved performance in 4.0, so this might have been overlooked. I posted a message to the beta forum. Haven't tried it myself though.

What you can do is go to More->Settings in ForeFlight and turn off the "Allow device to sleep" option. That'll keep the chart always on while you're flying too. Just be sure that when you're NOT flying that you don't leave FF open and quit paying attention to the iPad as it'll stay on and track itself right until you have a dead battery.

Also, note that presently after you change that allow device to sleep option, you'll need to exit and re-enter ForeFlight for the change to take effect. (Already got a message in to review that too.)

This new version stayed on during downloads when I was plugged in. Will try the next update without it plugged in, just to see how it reacts.

Back