ForeFlight 4.0 is out!

I opened it in Ibooks but don't see a way to save it to the Ipad. Is there a way to split the screen with the manual on one side and Foreflight on the other so I can read and actually do things with the manual open? Or is there a way to quickly flip from one to the other?

Thanks for your confidence in me <g>

Dave

Don't bother with the manual, Dave! Kent will talk you through it all! (it's ok if I commit you like that, right Kent?!)

Really, I am just learning it too and you can pick it up darned quick just by practice-poking all the buttons (and begging for help here). I had maybe 15mins in front of it before leaving on my first flight with it today, you can fumble through it easily.

I opened it in Ibooks but don't see a way to save it to the Ipad. Is there a way to split the screen with the manual on one side and Foreflight on the other so I can read and actually do things with the manual open? Or is there a way to quickly flip from one to the other?

Thanks for your confidence in me <g>

Dave

Double click the home button. It'll bring up the "running" apps along the bottom and you can quickly switch back and forth.

I opened it in Ibooks but don't see a way to save it to the Ipad.

If you opened it in iBooks, it's already saved there. :thumbsup:

Is there a way to split the screen with the manual on one side and Foreflight on the other so I can read and actually do things with the manual open?

Nope... Well, not unless you get a second iPad. ;)

Or is there a way to quickly flip from one to the other?

What Jason said - A double-tap on the home button brings up the multitasking bar, where you'll see your most-recently used apps. (If you swipe left-to-right, you'll see volume and brightness controls and iPod controls... Swipe in the opposite direction and you'll see more recently-used apps.) Anyway, a double-tap on the home button and a tap on ForeFlight or iBooks, as appropriate, will take you to that app quickly.

Don't bother with the manual, Dave! Kent will talk you through it all! (it's ok if I commit you like that, right Kent?!)

Sure! I've actually made that offer to several people who were interested in buying Macs. I've gotten very few calls...

Really, I am just learning it too and you can pick it up darned quick just by practice-poking all the buttons (and begging for help here). I had maybe 15mins in front of it before leaving on my first flight with it today, you can fumble through it easily.

That's the key to getting better at it! You don't need to worry about things too much, it's not possible to do something like delete the system software that would cause it to stop working. So, even if you don't know what you're doing, playing around with it won't hurt it. And, things tend to make a lot of sense if you don't think too hard about it. Just pretend you invented it and you'll find that things just kinda work the most natural way.

Kent, I use the procedure from post 78 with success. If using iTunes (which I dislike) I put the PDF in the iTunes library and then drag it to the books folder and it'll copy down to the iPad.

Double click the home button. It'll bring up the "running" apps along the bottom and you can quickly switch back and forth.

For you mere mortals, yes. ;)

It's funny, I have NOT gotten in the habit of double-tapping the home button - I didn't upgrade to iOS 4 until 4.3 came out, so I had no multitasking before that. But as a developer, I have the new gestures available in iOS 4.3. So, I can do a 4-finger upward swipe to get the multitasking bar, 4-finger left and right swipes to switch between running apps, and a 5-finger pinch to get to the home screen. Rumor has it that Apple is going to get rid of the only button on the next iPad! (Gawd, I'd hate to be in tech support when that happens... And frankly, I hope it doesn't because making such an important function be activated in such a non-obvious manner is not user friendly. But Steve doesn't like buttons.)

So, I'm always using the 4-finger gestures instead of double-tapping the home button. Too bad that's only enabled for developers, to my knowledge. :dunno: (Maybe 4.3.3 lets everyone have them? I didn't look.)

Kent, I use the procedure from post 78 with success. If using iTunes (which I dislike) I put the PDF in the iTunes library and then drag it to the books folder and it'll copy down to the iPad.

Figures Apple would have to do it their own way on their own app. :rolleyes: Thanks!

Screenshots with brief descriptions, from today's flight:

Attachments

• Enroute1.JPG
    Enroute1.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Traffic1.JPG
    Traffic1.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 27
  • MultipleLegsVisible.JPG
    MultipleLegsVisible.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Intercept loc.JPG
    Intercept loc.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Zoomed intrcpt.JPG
    Zoomed intrcpt.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 28
  • OnLoc.JPG
    OnLoc.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 28
  • AptDiagramAirborne.JPG
    AptDiagramAirborne.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 26
  • TakingHiSpeed.JPG
    TakingHiSpeed.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Taxiing in1.JPG
    Taxiing in1.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Scratchpad.JPG
    Scratchpad.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 28
GPS Altitude is quite often not going to agree with indicated altitude (for various reasons), especially in the flight levels. Good chance that was more accurate than your altimeter.

Very cool, Dave!

Like Jesse said, GPS altitude is often quite different than indicated altitude, even when the GPS is a 430W or the like.

You're just using the internal GPS on the iPad, right? If so, they must have improved it... From what I've heard, the iPad 1's GPS will crap out above 250 or 300 knots - By the time it gets the next fix, it can't believe it's gone that far so it figures it must have made an error, and it never catches back up with itself. Or maybe Apple's made a fix for that in software since I heard that (OSH last year).

Got email saying FF 4.0 is out.
How do I check my version or dl an update?

Ke-ent.
What about tfrs etc, didn't see any enroute yesterday and there were several. Do I need to throw a switch?

User WPs
How to delete??
How to rename??

At the bottom right hand corner of the screen, tap "More," then "User Waypoints" on the left.

To delete, swipe your finger across the one you want to delete, and a "Delete" button will appear at the right (similar to deleting an e-mail right in the mailbox in the mail app - Lot of apps work this way, and you can also delete data sets in ForeFlight on the Downloads tab in the same manner).

To rename (or otherwise edit), tap the blue arrow to the right of the waypoint you want to show the waypoint info, tap on what you want to edit (name, description, latitude, longitude) and the keyboard will appear so you can make changes.

Got email saying FF 4.0 is out.
How do I check my version or dl an update?

Go to the "App Store" app and tap "Updates" at the bottom. Any apps that you have anything other than the latest version will appear (may take a few seconds to load). ForeFlight 4.0.1 is current as of today...

Ke-ent.
What about tfrs etc, didn't see any enroute yesterday and there were several. Do I need to throw a switch?

There's no graphical TFR depiction yet. If you get your briefing on the iPad, you'll be able to pull it up in flight on the "File & Brief" tab and read the FDC NOTAMs. I'm sure TFR's will be added at some point.

I'm not gonna lie...I squirted a little pee when I looked through these pictures. That is one amazing app.

Heck, the pictures only scratch the surface... And it really is an amazing app. Like I tell a lot of people, I'm the world's crappiest salesman - I can only sell something I truly love myself, and ForeFlight is one of those things. Won't be too long before I forget what I ever did without it.

Dave S. is learning a lot by keeping up with the Dave T./Kent dialogue! Unfortunately, I can't spend much time on the IPad until this weekend.

Thanks,

Dave

I flew with it Sunday and was ultra impressed...

All the airspace stuff worked as expected, the routing and user waypoints were great (I now have a "SMOKESTACKS" waypoint for a particular visual reference I like to use to avoid bumping into the DEN Bravo airspace - GRIN!)... etc etc etc.

Too many good things to list. They far outweigh the next comment...

Now if we can just get in-flight WX, it'd be the perfect in-flight tool. ;)

Now if we can just get in-flight WX, it'd be the perfect in-flight tool. ;)

If they ever do, I'm calling my broker to short Garmin GRMN (Nasdaq). :wink2:

I'm having so much fun with my ForeFlight app and I haven't even gotten it into the air yet.

Previous versions of ForeFlight had about a 1/2 second delay built into the popups on Maps. Maybe that should be brought back... Or add a preference for whether or not to delay it.

Agreed. The new version is way to sensitive to touch on the map screen. Even trying to 'scroll' the map to a new location (to look around) causes it to pop up the waypoints box. I like the 'preference' idea.

Would also like a quick way to lock out touches on the maps screen--something in one corner or another.

Last edited:
There's no graphical TFR depiction yet. If you get your briefing on the iPad, you'll be able to pull it up in flight on the "File & Brief" tab and read the FDC NOTAMs. I'm sure TFR's will be added at some point.

May not be what you're talking about, but there is a section of "FAA TFRs" in the images section. That's good for a quick overview.

May not be what you're talking about, but there is a section of "FAA TFRs" in the images section. That's good for a quick overview.

That's useful for knowing you need to go do some more research, but doesn't give you any information on effective dates, times, altitudes, etc. I still use it!

Agreed. The new version is way to sensitive to touch on the map screen. Even trying to 'scroll' the map to a new location (to look around) causes it to pop up the waypoints box. I like the 'preference' idea.

Would also like a quick way to lock out touches on the maps screen--something in one corner or another.

Yes...needs to go back to the old way...

One think I'm missing in FF is altitude in flight plan. How do I set altitude for each leg?

So should we start the religious debates? When will they add "track up" rotation of the maps? ;)

(Kidding. I hate that! But it's two different religious camps that are always at war in the G1000 world. Ha.)

You pull to go higher and you push to go lower. :hairraise::hairraise:

:D:D

My CFI told me to add power to go higher and reduce power to go lower:wink2:

No religious wars, just asking. There may be some not obvious ways to set parameters that I may be simply missed. Like default altitude in the settings section.

No religious wars, just asking. There may be some not obvious ways to set parameters that I may be simply missed. Like default altitude in the settings section.

In specific aircraft you can set a default cruise altitude but all it seems to do is populate the field on the Flight Plan filing form.

To get winds, etc... In the map view. Add altitude in feet to your route...

"KAPA KCOS 13GPH 9500FT" for example, in the text route box. Little more typing but I've gotten in the habit of doing it in hopes that a future update brings climb/descent profiles and side-view of airspace to see if you're going to penetrate it along the route.

Same side view with cloud height and terrain depiction would be nice too.

But I'd prefer a TAWS-like mode for the standard overhead map first. ;)

(If I sound like I'm rattling off ChartCase Pro features, I am. I still refuse to give any $ to them after their patent thing, but there are features I miss. I do not miss Windows or the clunky power-hungry ToughBook in my lap, however. Even missing any of these features FF rocks because the hardware is better. WX is the only reason I'd ever be tempted on a long trip to fire up that Toshiba ever again...)

One think I'm missing in FF is altitude in flight plan. How do I set altitude for each leg?

You set a cruise altitude by just typing in "5000" or whatever right into the route box (or set it on the flight plan page).

There's no provision yet for having multiple altitudes for different legs.

My CFI told me to add power to go higher and reduce power to go lower:wink2:

Now, that DOES exist - Go to More->Aircraft. Each aircraft has its own default altitude (having one default altitude for your Fabric Bugsmasher and your Super Turbo LearBaron just wouldn't do. ;))

You can also set a default aircraft there if you enter more than one.

In specific aircraft you can set a default cruise altitude but all it seems to do is populate the field on the Flight Plan filing form.

To get winds, etc... In the map view. Add altitude in feet to your route...

"KAPA KCOS 13GPH 9500FT" for example, in the text route box.

Try again. Adding a different altitude via the text box always works, but I think there was a bug in the winds calc with default altitude under specific conditions that got squashed a while back.

So, as long as you have a default aircraft with a default altitude, you should be able to just punch in a route and after a few seconds' delay to get the winds off the Internet you should see it switch from "Winds aloft not included" to "21kt headwind" or whatever.

Thanks, that was what I forgot about. Entering altitude in route window! I figured out default altitude but that rather inconvenient to change altitude in the settings each time you plan a flight. Adding altitude in the route box is much better.

One thing I noticed (and advised FF about) was that on 4.0 GNB vanished.

Fell into the gap between two sectionals...

Back