foreclosure, will you come?

There is an old internet thing that goes around in E-mails saying that in a democracy, everyone votes themselves a portion of the public till until there is nothing left. Eerily familiar to what's going on now.

I really can't condemn individuals for what is a common corporate practice. If we really don't like it as a society, we should outlaw it. Of course, that has its dangers as well.
That is why we don't live in a democracy. We live in a representative republic.

This guy (If he really exist!) had no problem saying "Sure I can pay that, and I like the Price" when he bought it.. so pay for it!!!

Has he even thought about when the city/county auctions his house off that they will come after him for the difference?
You cant just get away from all of it.

And Mafoo... I was not picking on you either... Your post clearly shows how a great idea and investment can go sideways at the speed of light. Us honest people are pretty tough ya know....:yesnod::yesnod:

Lesser ones would have had a "dryer vent fire":wink2::eek::(

lol, yea. That entered my mind once or twice, but not the kind of guy to do something like that.

When I was young, I was in a horrible marriage. When I ended it, I took all the debt, and gave my ex-wife everything we had.

Everyone said I was crazy for doing that. It took me years to recover from it, but to this day, I know I did everything I could to set her up for success. I don't shed a single tear for the condition of her life today (good or bad). If I had walked away and screwed her, from time to time I am sure it would enter my mind if she turned out ok, and if not, what did I do to contribute to that.

Living a guilt free life is much better in my opinion, then having a little extra money.

oh, and thanks for the post :)

I haven't read all the posts in the thread, but I can guess it comes down to a moral or ethical debate concerning the guy living there.

Thirty years ago, he would be considered a dead beat, and would be held economically responsible for his actions, and we would all be on the side of the finance institution in justly kicking him out or foreclosing.

Things have changed. I'm betting that his mortgage holder has been into the US treasury to stave off financial hardship, and that the company decided it was strategically better to socialize their loss to the taxpayers rather than lose money(maybe a lot) by going BK, liquidating their assets, or reorg and show a serious decline in the balance sheet. Or - even to the radical position that they go out of business and the stockholders who invested in them are left holding the losses.

This makes a difference. If large financial institutions can play the market, risk stockholder equity, then socialize their losses, why do we then hold the individual to a higher standard? Why should the individual not socialize his loss in the equity? Is stockholder equity more important because it's quoted in billions of dollars be more deserving of protection than an individual equity position of a few $10K?

Basically, what I'm saying is that if the finance companies get a bailout, why shouldn't the individual get a bailout? I don't know who carries the note on the home, but the loan is a non-recourse type, that both parties agreed to. The mortgage holder has remedy under law, and they can exercise that right at any time. As for person dwelling there, he also has an equity position because his name is on the title, which is why land has to go through a foreclosure for the lienholder to recover. Want your property back? Sue him, go ahead, that is what the law allows. If you don't want your property back(for whatever reason), then STFU and cash your treasury check.

<I've signed 13 mortgage lending documents in my career, and so far have not missed even one payment over the past 33 years.>

Last edited:
As a longtime law enforcement officer, I am offended by the attitude of the police described in the original post. He signed a legally binding contract; he is obligated to fulfill his end of it. If he can't he needs to take the proper, lawful steps to get out of it. As officers, we do not have the option of picking and choosing which laws we obey. I do know the difference between civil and criminal law, but this goes to integrity. He could be subject to departmental discipline for doing that.

I used to feel that way too...ultimately, however, since we don't have a debtors prison, its a legit and legal way to deal with a potential problem, and one that many businesses and businessman do all the time.

Ultimately, if it makes sense to pay it off, pay it off. If it doesn't, don't. There's no ethics in finance.

That is the most sickening statement I've read in a very long time.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Last edited:
That is the most sickening statement I've read I'm a very long time.

The sad thing is no matter how detestable, this sort of thing happens in business all the time. That's why I have a hard time vilifying those who engage in it for personal finance. I've always played by the rules and continue to do so, but so long as we allow one sector of our society to circumvent these rules in the name of profit I have a hard time denigrating individuals from the other sector from doing likewise.

The sad thing is no matter how detestable, this sort of thing happens in business all the time. That's why I have a hard time vilifying those who engage in it for personal finance. I've always played by the rules and continue to do so, but so long as we allow one sector of our society to circumvent these rules in the name of profit I have a hard time denigrating individuals from the other sector from doing likewise.

It's funny the ethical gymnastics some will do to justify their wrongdoing.

Sent from my Nexus 7

The law is, if you are in a contract, (mortgage), and you do not follow the terms of that contract, (paying), it is the burden of the other party to execute the provisions of the contract, (eviction). By continuing to pay the HOA fees he is avoiding any possibility of being hit for theft of services. He is not violating any law. The ethical issues are another matter.

The fact that some businesses do it doesn't make it right either -- for individuals or for businesses.

The fact that some businesses do it doesn't make it right either -- for individuals or for businesses.

I agree, however if a car thief gets his car stolen, how bad do you feel for him?

I have every intention of paying back my bank, because it's the right thing to do. However I realize that they have no interest in doing what's right for me, if it makes economic sense not to.

I agree, however if a car thief gets his car stolen, how bad do you feel for him?

I have every intention of paying back my bank, because it's the right thing to do. However I realize that they have no interest in doing what's right for me, if it makes economic sense not to.
Perhaps not, but they will certainly abide by any contractual agreements they made.

Perhaps not, but they will certainly abide by any contractual agreements they made.

They will do whatever makes the most economical sense. Breaking a contract is not that, due to legal penalties. However it was not the case, they would break it in a heartbeat.

I am sure banks that file Chapter 11, pay the powers that be long before they pay the people who they have contracts with.

It's funny the ethical gymnastics some will do to justify their wrongdoing.

Hey, don't look at me. I've paid my mortgage religiously and don't hold any other outstanding debt. But I see companies do this as standard practice, I find it hard to criticize a private citizen as doing likewise. Nothing moral or ethical, really. Just business. Everyone has to look out for their bottom line.

Why does market value matter if you're not in the market?

Hopefully the people who walk away from these will never be allowed to mortgage a house again.

Hey, don't look at me. I've paid my mortgage religiously and don't hold any other outstanding debt. But I see companies do this as standard practice, I find it hard to criticize a private citizen as doing likewise. Nothing moral or ethical, really. Just business. Everyone has to look out for their bottom line.

Where do you see this is standard practice?

Friend of mine, age 26 at the time, bought a house with his girlfriend, now wife in 2006 for $275k. His last appraisal in 2011 was $149k. He walked away. Besides losing money on the house, he lost money on a bunch of "house junk" and "improvements" he made. i.e. a deck and patio, a shed, a lawnmower, furniture. He now rents a 1 bedroom apartment...

An average person with an average income can't recover from taking a huge hit like that, only move on and try to forget.

A lot of us are in this boat, young or not. Did he walk away becaues he couldn't afford it? If so was that due to a change in income? You talk about a huge hit like he personally lost the ~75k, he didn't. He purchased something at value X and a few years later it was worth X-Y. Sounds a lot like a car but grander scale. Did he lose function of the house? I'm not going to guess at the guys issues but much like the OP's friend if he walked away from the same house he bought which had the same functionality as when he started and could still pay then his hit was a direct result of his action. The house isn't producing revenue, what hit is there??

I am like your friend in some ways, bought a house in 07 at age 23 with my new wife. 5 years later I'm divorced, working with considerably less income (since I have no other half) but still in the house, paying every payment on time. The house has lost like 100k in value, my bank account didn't drop by 100k, my loan didn't go up by 100k...I don't understand where there's a hit?

I can't get a lower rate or payment because I can't refi it as I don't have the equity (or cash to pay down) to qualify. I'll keep paying till I get there, trying to tack on extra when I can. I know what I bought, it still provides me the same functionality as it did the day I bought it. Actually more since I've spruced it up with DIY projects. You won't hear me ***** and moan about how the bank, or the goverment or whoever screwed me. I signed the papers, no one forced my hand.

I don't understand how people say they took a hit when a house loses value. Walking away is the hit, and it's a choice they made. Except in the OP's case he never walked away, just stayed for free and probably will for another couple of years.

A friend of mine (a single guy, btw. he is a very young police officer) bought a condo in the San Francisco Bay Area in 2005 for about $250,000, unfortunately it was almost at the peak of the market. This condo is now worth not even 1/2 of that. Recently he made a calculated decision that he was no longer willing to carry this mortgage and let go of the property.

So, he bought something that was overpriced, and no longer wants to honor his contractual obligation? You don't say that he can't make the payments. He was obviously ok with the monthly payment amount when he signed the mortgage, but now that it's underwater, he doesn't want to pay?

If that's true, then he's a thief. He is getting something for nothing. Something that other people paid for.

if I make a promise to pay, I pay. To do otherwise is wrong.
If you made a seemingly legitimate investment only to learn you were the last investor in a Ponzi scheme would you keep paying earlier investors after it became clear no one new was joining the scheme?

Put differently, since about 1993 households supplemented income with debt leading to the a wealth illusion in the US. The wealth illusion being the perception that household income was growing much faster than it really was due to increases in credit and mortgage debt. This false wealth fueled consumption and made the overall economy look stronger than reality.

One effect of this was the appreciation of housing prices. Many who bought housing near market peaks in 2007 - 2008 were unwittingly buying into the top of a debt fueled national Ponzi scheme about to go bust. Those last purchasers were disproportionately left holding the bag while earlier home buyers either maintained profits or were left comparatively unscathed.

This consumer debt event was not a normal market pricing phenomenon, nor was it part of a normal debt cycle. Instead it was driven by a confluence of events including lax central banking policies, misguided government policies, and inappropriate financial incentives for debt originators. The result was a credit fueled prosperity cycle that was sure to end poorly. Towards the end the key players became mortgage originators, MBS resellers, and MBS purchasers whose inability to properly access the risk and misaligned financial incentives produces heaps of bad debt while driving housing prices to their final highs.

So, we collectively experienced an undeserved period of prosperity that retrospectively was certain to end poorly. At the time this was not well understood (or at least acknowledged) by the most sophisticated agents (central banks, mortgage banks, etc.) - and certainly not by the average home buyer. However, one aspect of this bubble was certain - whoever entered last would be hurt the most.

Let me state - I'm highly sympathetic to the personal responsibility argument. That said, I believe there is more complexity to this situation - namely that there is some truth to the reasoning that peak price home buyers were defrauded by a systematic failure not of their making yet are expected to disproportionately experience the pain.

An obvious criticism would be they knew they were purchasing a risk asset. Yes, they did - however no reasonable estimate of risk available in 2007 would have suggested 50% declines were possible nor did the so called sophisticated market participants properly price this risk. Indeed, few saw this coming until late in the 9th inning.

Last edited:
A lot of us are in this boat, young or not. Did he walk away becaues he couldn't afford it? If so was that due to a change in income? You talk about a huge hit like he personally lost the ~75k, he didn't. He purchased something at value X and a few years later it was worth X-Y. Sounds a lot like a car but grander scale. Did he lose function of the house? I'm not going to guess at the guys issues but much like the OP's friend if he walked away from the same house he bought which had the same functionality as when he started and could still pay then his hit was a direct result of his action. The house isn't producing revenue, what hit is there??

I am like your friend in some ways, bought a house in 07 at age 23 with my new wife. 5 years later I'm divorced, working with considerably less income (since I have no other half) but still in the house, paying every payment on time. The house has lost like 100k in value, my bank account didn't drop by 100k, my loan didn't go up by 100k...I don't understand where there's a hit?

I can't get a lower rate or payment because I can't refi it as I don't have the equity (or cash to pay down) to qualify. I'll keep paying till I get there, trying to tack on extra when I can. I know what I bought, it still provides me the same functionality as it did the day I bought it. Actually more since I've spruced it up with DIY projects. You won't hear me ***** and moan about how the bank, or the goverment or whoever screwed me. I signed the papers, no one forced my hand.

I don't understand how people say they took a hit when a house loses value. Walking away is the hit, and it's a choice they made. Except in the OP's case he never walked away, just stayed for free and probably will for another couple of years.

The bold part is where you're taking the hit. You're paying more interest than you should.

Why does market value matter if you're not in the market?

Hopefully the people who walk away from these will never be allowed to mortgage a house again.

:rofl: That will end up being a huge number of potential homebuyers and will keep housing prices lower. Not saying you are wrong, but there is a huge machine set up to sell houses and potential deadbeats are part of the machine.

The bold part is where you're taking the hit. You're paying more interest than you should.

That's a misconception. I'm paying exactly the interest I should considering I signed a 30 year plan to pay back the loan given to me at a set interest rate.

I think what you mean to say is that if I took out the loan today I could qualify for a much lower interest rate. While that is absolutely true I'm not paying any more interest than I originally signed up to. There is no "should" only the terms then vs. the terms now and we've got two very different market conditions.

Last edited:
Absolutely immaterial. He's paying the interest rate he agreed to.

EXACTLY!! Why's that so hard for people to understand. I didn't sign an ARM, which probably would have adjusted down. I could have not signed those terms and waited, but I chose not to.

Last edited:
:rofl: That will end up being a huge number of potential homebuyers and will keep housing prices lower. Not saying you are wrong, but there is a huge machine set up to sell houses and potential deadbeats are part of the machine.

That's great for me because I bought way before the artificial increase. I'll just buy a few of those cheap houses and rent them out to the profit seekers who walked from their bad deals. :wink2:

Where do you see this is standard practice?

I've seen it in a number of local businesses of various stripes. From my perspective it seems like a fairly normal practice.

Reminds me of a joke I read this morning:

Two old friends met one day after many years. One attended college, and now was very successful.

The other had not attended college and never had much ambition.

The successful one said, "How has everything been going with you?"

"Well, one day I opened the Bible at random, and dropped my finger on a word and it was oil.

So, I invested in oil, and boy, did the oil wells gush. Then another day I dropped my finger on another word and it was gold.

So, I invested in gold and those mines really produced. Now, I'm as rich as Bill Gates."

The successful friend was so impressed that he rushed to his hotel, grabbed a Gideon Bible, flipped it open, and dropped his finger on a page. He opened his eyes and his finger rested on the words, "Chapter Eleven."

If you made a seemingly legitimate investment only to learn you were the last investor in a Ponzi scheme would you keep paying earlier investors after it became clear no one new was joining the scheme?

Put differently, since about 1993 households supplemented income with debt leading to the a wealth illusion in the US. The wealth illusion being the perception that household income was growing much faster than it really was due to increases in credit and mortgage debt. This false wealth fueled consumption and made the overall economy look stronger than reality.

One effect of this was the appreciation of housing prices. Many who bought housing near market peaks in 2007 - 2008 were unwittingly buying into the top of a debt fueled national Ponzi scheme about to go bust. Those last purchasers were disproportionately left holding the bag while earlier home buyers either maintained profits or were left comparatively unscathed.

This consumer debt event was not a normal market pricing phenomenon, nor was it part of a normal debt cycle. Instead it was driven by a confluence of events including lax central banking policies, misguided government policies, and inappropriate financial incentives for debt originators. The result was a credit fueled prosperity cycle that was sure to end poorly. Towards the end the key players became mortgage originators, MBS resellers, and MBS purchasers whose inability to properly access the risk and misaligned financial incentives produces heaps of bad debt while driving housing prices to their final highs.

So, we collectively experienced an undeserved period of prosperity that retrospectively was certain to end poorly. At the time this was not well understood (or at least acknowledged) by the most sophisticated agents (central banks, mortgage banks, etc.) - and certainly not by the average home buyer. However, one aspect of this bubble was certain - whoever entered last would be hurt the most.

Let me state - I'm highly sympathetic to the personal responsibility argument. That said, I believe there is more complexity to this situation - namely that there is some truth to the reasoning that peak price home buyers were defrauded by a systematic failure not of their making yet are expected to disproportionately experience the pain.

An obvious criticism would be they knew they were purchasing a risk asset. Yes, they did - however no reasonable estimate of risk available in 2007 would have suggested 50% declines were possible nor did the so called sophisticated market participants properly price this risk. Indeed, few saw this coming until late in the 9th inning.
It would be convenient to believe the bits I underlined, but it's simply not true. All the signs were there. Anyone buying real estate during that period knew, or should have known, that housing prices were vastly inflated. The prices simply made no sense, and it was quite plain to see that the trend could not possibly continue. The growth in "valuation" was simply unsustainable, and plenty of people were saying it.

One thing I agree with completely... you said, "The result was a credit fueled prosperity cycle that was sure to end poorly". It was sure to end poorly, it was obvious that it would, but people chose to ignore the very clear signs that the housing market was in a very pronounced and artificially inflated bubble.

So now a lot of them want to simply walk away from poor investments they made. great, go for it, declare bankruptcy or just let the bank take it back. I don't care, but these people should not try to convince themselves that just because they and a lot of other people made poor decisions that it's the right, or moral, or ethical thing to do. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Again, in the end I will pay my entire debt, but I will never buy another house again. This experience is the worst thing I have ever had to go through.

It would be convenient to believe the bits I underlined, but it's simply not true. All the signs were there. Anyone buying real estate during that period knew, or should have known, that housing prices were vastly inflated. The prices simply made no sense, and it was quite plain to see that the trend could not possibly continue. The growth in "valuation" was simply unsustainable, and plenty of people were saying it.

One thing I agree with completely... you said, "The result was a credit fueled prosperity cycle that was sure to end poorly". It was sure to end poorly, it was obvious that it would, but people chose to ignore the very clear signs that the housing market was in a very pronounced and artificially inflated bubble.

So now a lot of them want to simply walk away from poor investments they made. great, go for it, declare bankruptcy or just let the bank take it back. I don't care, but these people should not try to convince themselves that just because they and a lot of other people made poor decisions that it's the right, or moral, or ethical thing to do. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

First, I'm not suggesting anyone walkaway, simply the facts are more complex.

Second, markets offer plenty of opportunities to express a contrarian view, for example shorting MBS securities. Only a few agents did this - they are rich - books have been written about them. Their trades were viewed as highly risky. Clients left as loses piled up prior to the payday. Align that with your assertion the bubble was well understood. Align the wealth destroying behavior of home buyers. Sorry - facts don't support the assertion "they should of known". By the way, did you get rich off the collapse - why not?

That's a misconception. I'm paying exactly the interest I should considering I signed a 30 year plan to pay back the loan given to me at a set interest rate.

I think what you mean to say is that if I took out the loan today I could qualify for a much lower interest rate. While that is absolutely true I'm not paying any more interest than I originally signed up to. There is no "should" only the terms then vs. the terms now and we've got two very different market conditions.

Absolutely immaterial. He's paying the interest rate he agreed to.

Gentlemen, I know what a fixed 30-year mortgage is.

However, Mr. Guardrail asked where he was taking the hit. He's taken it in not having the flexibility to refinance the house. He is stuck with what he's stuck with.

It would be convenient to believe the bits I underlined, but it's simply not true. All the signs were there.
Totally disagree. If there were signs they came way too late. A great majority of real estate professionals were taken by surprise and if such people could not predict it what about an average consumer. Sorry but this is a total BS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If it was that obvious, then why did people continue to buy? With mortgages they couldn't afford, no less?

Your last sentence "Just because you can doesn't mean you should." applies just as well going into a transaction as it does trying to walk away from it.

See also post 69 and 82.

This is so far off base it borders on ridicules. Please link me to a credible investment resource from early 2007 that said "STOP! The market is about to crash!"

In fact, not only were they not saying that, they were telling people to do the opposite.

To say you saw this coming, is to ignore every expert, and I doubt you did that in 2007. Hind sight is 20/20, but don't act like you were warning everyone 5 years ago.

To look down on everyone who took the brunt of this collaps, like somehow you're better then they are, shows a lack of morality.

I lose sleep every night over my situation (why you see me on these board at 1:00 AM), and the only thing I did to deserve it, is bought a house in the wrong year.

I don't blame anyone but myself for it, but I will be damned if I am going to sit here quietly and be condemned by you over it.

Sorry - facts don't support the assertion "they should of known". By the way, did you get rich off the collapse - why not?
No, I didn't get rich. I stay out of highly speculative and volatile markets, and it should have been perfectly obvious to even a casual observer that that's what the home mortgage market was. So no, I did not get rich... but neither did I invest heavily, in either mortgage-backed securities, mortgage lenders or over-valued property, and lose my ass.

I have no formal financial training. I don't hold an econ degree. I have worked for financial services companies for years, but only on the IT side of the house. Even I could see it was a huge disaster in the making. We'd seen it so many times in the past. Tech stocks in the late 90s, then biotech, then housing... the signs were very clear. In each case the supposed "pros" got sucked in by their own greed and so did a lot of individual investors.

Last edited:
This experience is the worst thing I have ever had to go through.

12 years ago when I was shopping for our home my aunt told me "you're not going to be happy with the mortgage process".

She was right.

A great majority of real estate professionals were taken by surprise and if such people could not predict it what about an average consumer. Sorry but this is a total BS.

My mother owned the largest independent real-estate agency in New Mexico in 2006. Today I send her money every few months so she can eat.

Gentlemen, I know what a fixed 30-year mortgage is.

However, Mr. Guardrail asked where he was taking the hit. He's taken it in not having the flexibility to refinance the house. He is stuck with what he's stuck with.

I don't think that's what the person I quoted meant by saying the guy took a hit, but he may have. I read that as the drop in value somehow negatively impacted the deal he negotiated, which isn't true. The change in value would have no impact on the deal he penned, future deals yes, but not the one already in ink.

I'm a believer in 'you can't count your chickens..' It's true I have limited options given the market. I don't see it as a hit necessarily, but I guess I can understand how the next guy does. I bought a house expecting to stay for near a lifetime, the negotiated rate was satisfactory enough for me to sign the terms. Am I limited in what change I can make today, yes, but I didn't go into the deal expecting that I would be changing terms every few years, certainly not 5 into it.

I should say I also made a point to buy within my means, which many people did not (knowingly or not, there's a whole argument there). I did so with the full expectation that if something did happen to my family income I would be able to continuing paying my mortgage. I didn't do that with a contingency that I could renegotiate a new lower rate down the road by refi-ing.

Last edited:
This is so far off base it borders on ridicules. Please link me to a credible investment resource from early 2007 that said "STOP! The market is about to crash!"

In fact, not only were they not saying that, they were telling people to do the opposite.

To say you saw this coming, is to ignore every expert, and I doubt you did that in 2007. Hind sight is 20/20, but don't act like you were warning everyone 5 years ago.

To look down on everyone who took the brunt of this collaps, like somehow you're better then they are, shows a lack of morality.

I lose sleep every night over my situation (why you see me on these board at 1:00 AM), and the only thing I did to deserve it, is bought a house in the wrong year.

I don't blame anyone but myself for it, but I will be damned if I am going to sit here quietly and be condemned by you over it.
Where was I condemning you? I didn't address your situation in anything I posted, so don't take it personally.

The fact is, there were indeed a whole lot of people who were saying that the housing market was artificially inflated, that houses were overpriced, that it was a bad deal. Anyone who had watched previous bubbles come and go could see the signs. I'm not here to be your personal research assistant, so if you want to find the sound advice from 2007 and before, you're going to have to go look for it. It was there... never taken LSD, so I'm pretty sure I didn't hallucinate it.

I had money to invest during that period. I didn't sink one penny into real estate or any investments backed by real estate or mortgages. In fact, I actively avoided them because it was quite obvious that there was a disaster in the making. I feel sorry for the people who bought houses during that period and paid way too much for them... all except the ones who treated buying a house like it was a get-rich-quick scheme; they took their chance and lost. The ones who paid too much and now are paying on a house that's not worth what they owe... well, that sucks, but if they're not trying to sell it right now it doesn't matter. They still have what you paid for, and they're living in it.

In your case, you're kind of screwed. You do need to sell the house you paid way too much for. I feel for you, I really do. How you handle it is up to you. Keep paying the mortgage as you agreed to do, and wait it out... try and find a renter while the market value and your remaining balance slowly converge... sell it at a big loss... default on the loan and get the house foreclosed. Three bad choices and one that may or may not work. There's only one of them that I wouldn't consider.

Back