For you heavy Iron folks

I must be the only non-facebook member here....

No Facebook for me either. Never saw the need to self-publish the story of my life. I'd much rather email/text stuff selectively to friends and family.

Is there a big shift in the CG when the tanker dumps it's load? I would imagine that the CG of the tanks roughly coincides with the CG of the airplane to minimize abrupt changes in required control forces.

No, you're not.

I have a comeback for that but mscard might not be a good cell mate. :D

FB is what you make of it, yes it is that simple.

I can't get in to see it, but if you're suggesting a massive CG shift that's easy to explain. The dispense point is roughly at zero arm (mac), and everything drains evenly.
The airplane will certainly get lighter, but not any serious CG change.
I'm sure it's more complex than that, but that's the basic idea I would assume.

FWIW, not really the same but still interesting..
In the airlines we just count the people and assume they are evenly distributed.

I can't get in to see it, but if you're suggesting a massive CG shift that's easy to explain. The dispense point is roughly at zero arm (mac), and everything drains evenly.
The airplane will certainly get lighter, but not any serious CG change.
Your theory would only work if the A/C's CG is in the center of the tank.

Your theory would only work if the A/C's CG is in the center of the tank.
Yes, but seeing as though most airline CG's are close to the fuel tanks, that would make perfect sense. Add that to the fuel tanks are in the wings, roughly half back, we are good.
The angle of the compartments can also be constructed to keep the CG relative.

No, your not alone. I don't facebook either. I'm not a 14 year old girl or a gay male flight attendant so I see little reason to be on facebook.
If that is what you want FB to be, it will happen, If you want to be adult and pick and choose what you look at and reply to, you can do that too. I choose adult.

No, your not alone. I don't facebook either. I'm not a 14 year old girl or a gay male flight attendant so I see little reason to be on facebook.

You're missing out on the private forums there, then. "Closed group" is the best thing ever.

No need to run servers, no need to even put someone in charge... multiple topics/hobbies in the same place without need for awkward aggregators, which is the only way to properly deal with clunky old single topic forum sites...

Reddit can be used similarly, but not as privately.

It ain't about the public stuff.

I like Facebook, it keeps me in touch with classmates, old neighbors, friends, past coworkers.... it is what you make it. A guy I worked with back in '83 - '84 just said "hey" on FB last week. That's pretty cool, I had wondered what happened to him.

Momma warned me a long time ago how you catch social diseases.
I aluz done whut momma said so no FB for me, no tweets. no twitters, no nuttin.
So far so good, momma.

If that is what you want FB to be, it will happen, If you want to be adult and pick and choose what you look at and reply to, you can do that too. I choose adult.

Oh, well in that case I guess I'll just have to get my nipples pierced and put some sprinkles on my ice cream and check it out !!!

What is it with pilots and technology? Facebook, as Tom says, is exactly what you make of it.

Most of the fly-outs (and ins) that we attend were learned about by reading FB. I belong to several private flying groups there (that are just like POA, but more regional), train buff groups, hotel owner groups, motorcycle groups, classic car groups. We have an airport page that I manage and frequent.

My son and his wife live 1300 miles away. I would miss most of his life were it not for Facebook. We use it for shared photo albums, etc.

You guys that aren't on FB are missing out on a valuable (and free) life hack.

What is it with pilots and technology? Facebook, as Tom says, is exactly what you make of it.

Plus, FB is a great place to make fun of this place, AOPA (Red), Purple, and all the little enclaves of weirdness on the more private spaces.

No lack of entertainment in doing that...

It's also an excellent way to keep up on aviation news once you get the right private groups set up and enough aviation minded "friends" in the various algorithms it uses to feed you stuff.

A few years ago, I would have said here or similar stand-alone aviation boards got the news of anything happening in the aviation world first, but that's not been the case for years now. Those news articles hit FB and Twitter now sometimes days before they're seen here.

It's actually kinda entertaining to watch the discussions of aviation stories on larger social media sites go for about a week or so, and then see someone cross post here and the exact same discussion take place a week or two late.

And watching folks here who think this place isn't "social media" grousing is kinda fun, too.

It's just the older version on the timeline from BBSs, to USENET, to forums, to aggregators, to mass commercial systems. Scale always beats out specialization on the Net, eventually.

My favorite experiment ever documented on FB was when a Wired reporter decided to click "like" on every single thing that came his way for a month. Didn't matter if it was a post saying people should eat their young, he clicked like.

By the end of a month, his "feed" was completely full of total insanity. Which showed both the power and the problem with getting your information from an algorithm designed to please you.

But if you work it a bit, it'll show you great aviation stuff. WAY more than here will ever have. Most folks don't have time to cross post and feed the old non-automated systems.

If you're looking for twenty threads on logging PIC, this is your place. If you're watching for the latest in aviation news, it isn't anymore. The algorithms are better at it than human aggregators posting to all the old technology driven sites.

Plus, FB is a great place to make fun of this place, AOPA (Red), Purple, and all the little enclaves of weirdness on the more private spaces.

No lack of entertainment in doing that...

It's also an excellent way to keep up on aviation news once you get the right private groups set up and enough aviation minded "friends" in the various algorithms it uses to feed you stuff.

A few years ago, I would have said here or similar stand-alone aviation boards got the news of anything happening in the aviation world first, but that's not been the case for years now. Those news articles hit FB and Twitter now sometimes days before they're seen here.

It's actually kinda entertaining to watch the discussions of aviation stories on larger social media sites go for about a week or so, and then see someone cross post here and the exact same discussion take place a week or two late.

And watching folks here who think this place isn't "social media" grousing is kinda fun, too.

It's just the older version on the timeline from BBSs, to USENET, to forums, to aggregators, to mass commercial systems. Scale always beats out specialization on the Net, eventually.

My favorite experiment ever documented on FB was when a Wired reporter decided to click "like" on every single thing that came his way for a month. Didn't matter if it was a post saying people should eat their young, he clicked like.

By the end of a month, his "feed" was completely full of total insanity. Which showed both the power and the problem with getting your information from an algorithm designed to please you.

But if you work it a bit, it'll show you great aviation stuff. WAY more than here will ever have. Most folks don't have time to cross post and feed the old non-automated systems.

If you're looking for twenty threads on logging PIC, this is your place. If you're watching for the latest in aviation news, it isn't anymore. The algorithms are better at it than human aggregators posting to all the old technology driven sites.
Very well said. Those who avoid Facebook based on opinions formed a few years ago and with just a small amount of experience are missing out on a very useful and entertaining way of getting information about subjects of interest.

Facebook has evolved and continues to evolve. It is getting better steadily and when problems develop (like the fake news that influenced the last election) Facebook is acting to solve the problem.

Back