For Sale -- One brand, new aviation themed hotel

Yep, that was one of the comments received on a survey (we survey EVERY guest about their experience) from someone who just didn't "get" what we were trying to do here.

The comment about our "Blackbird Suite" -- a 1960s, high-performance jet theme (with some of the coolest SR-71 stuff on the planet in it) -- was "decor is dated"... Augh! :mad2:

If they only knew how hard we had worked to FIND all that 1960s furniture and funky-looking lamps! :confused:

ok, this post made me laugh. (and I needed a laugh).

<sigh>

There's one other thing I forgot to mention. I like it when there is a small refrigerator in the room where you can store leftovers or drinks.

This is one of the few times I'll pull an AOL and say +1.

Jay, the first comment is made tongue-in-cheek, as I know how hard it is to run a business but......

#1) After eight years of listening to you complain about how hard the hotel business is, you're trying to unload your hotel on some poor unsuspecting pilot.

#2) Does anyone really need a phone in their room anymore? How many guests show up without a cell phone?

#3) Agree 1000% with free wifi. I suspect the money you may have made by charging for it would not have covered the aggravation of a maintainting a fee based wifi system.

#2) Does anyone really need a phone in their room anymore? How many guests show up without a cell phone?

Me. I need a phone in the room.

I have a cellphone, but it's my own phone, it's not a business
phone. Thus I pay for the minutes. When I travel on
business it's my choice whether I use part of my monthly
minutes for the business call or not.

#1) After eight years of listening to you complain about how hard the hotel business is, you're trying to unload your hotel on some poor unsuspecting pilot.

Well, the fact that I'm doing it all over again, with a new property 1200 miles away, must indicate that either (a) I'm crazy, or (b) I may have been exaggerating the "hardships" a bit... :devil:

Actually, the current owners have removed the room phones for precisely this reason. We're planning on putting them back, if for no other reason than safety.

#3) Agree 1000% with free wifi. I suspect the money you may have made by charging for it would not have covered the aggravation of a maintainting a fee based wifi system.

I won't stay at any lodging establishment without free Wi-Fi -- period.

Congrats man....good luck with the new place!

Here's an example of a desk that works, complete with adequate power outlets. This is in my hotel in Stuttgart, which explains the different looking receptacles.

Attachments

• DSC01279.JPG
    DSC01279.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 52
Here's an example of a desk that works, complete with adequate power outlets. This is in my hotel in Stuttgart, which explains the different looking receptacles.

~~~~~~~~~ Stuttgart?

If you're bored you could always go visit the Schempp Hirth factory in Kirchheim....

If you're bored you could always go visit the Schempp Hirth factory in Kirchheim....

Not familiar with that. First time in Stuttgart. And, if it conflicts with the meetings I'm attending my boss might have negative comments. As it is, we've enjoyed a place next door to the hotel for dinner the past two evenings. See the pictures (and, I'm not in either one - somebody had to take the picture :D )

Attachments

• DSC01280.JPG
    DSC01280.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 21
  • DSC01282.JPG
    DSC01282.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 11
Not familiar with that. First time in Stuttgart. And, if it conflicts with the meetings I'm attending my boss might have negative comments. As it is, we've enjoyed a place next door to the hotel for dinner the past two evenings. See the pictures (and, I'm not in either one - somebody had to take the picture :D )
http://www.<b>schempp</b>www.schempp-hirth.com/

if i ever have to go to germany for work it will be very hard to get any work done.

Cool. I've marked the factory with a green push pin; they are NOT on an airfield, but you can see their long construction buildings. How long have they been at that location, I wonder? There may be some long aviation history in those buildings.

The nearest airfield is on the other side of A8, a nice wide grass strip (marked with a blue airplane icon). I've put a blue question mark icon--zoom in--are those glider trailers?

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...37787,9.446526&spn=0.034939,0.077162&t=h&z=14

Cool. I've marked the factory with a green push pin; they are NOT on an airfield, but you can see their long construction buildings. How long have they been at that location, I wonder? There may be some long aviation history in those buildings.

The nearest airfield is on the other side of A8, a nice wide grass strip (marked with a blue airplane icon). I've put a blue question mark icon--zoom in--are those glider trailers?

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...37787,9.446526&spn=0.034939,0.077162&t=h&z=14

as far as i know they've been there since the beginning.

edit: Wikipedia says they started up the road in Goppingen

those are definitely glider trailers. a lot of glider trailers.

Hey -- another pet peeve! This website is a PERFECT example of how screwed up these "Travel Websites" are.

Although this site purports to show "lodging near Port Aransas", all it's really showing are "stupid hoteliers who have paid this dumb webmaster to appear on his bogus website". There are literally DOZENS of these sites, and they **** me off to no end.

Even Google Maps is now screwed up this way. You can google "Iowa City Hotels" and it will show you hotels in Cedar Rapids, some 30 miles North, AHEAD of my hotel -- which is one of only four hotels actually IN Iowa City. Why? Because Google sold their soul and now sells position on the map to the highest bidder, putting money ahead of providing information, which is what they used to provide.

Sadly, few realize this change has occurred. It's almost criminal, the way Google got people hooked on all that glorious information, and then gradually, insidiously, switched to "pay to be on the map".

BTW: The property we have purchased isn't mentioned on that website.

Yeah, we have desks in most of our suites in Iowa City.

Port Aransas? Not so much. Anyone doing "work" in Port A will be put summarily on the car ferry, and banished from the island... :yesnod:

Port Aransas? Not so much. Anyone doing "work" in Port A will be put summarily on the car ferry, and banished from the island... :yesnod:
Ah, but what about checking in with the PoA crowd or checking Wx for flight planning?

Ah, but what about checking in with the PoA crowd or checking Wx for flight planning?

You sit at your *desk* to do that?

Me, I'm sitting in my LazyBoy, or in bed -- unless I'm at work... :D

But I still need power conveniently located to recharge batteries in the netbook, camera, etc. Even if I'm on vacation I need internet access so I can upload pictures to PoA and Facebook as a "neener, neener, neener, look where I am while you're at work" type of thing. Same resources as if I was working, just a different and more enjoyable purpose.

Looking to make money in aviation? There’s no need to start with a large fortune (only to watch it reduced to a small fortune) when you can simply buy a turn-key, freshly remodeled, aviation-themed, all suites hotel business with a proven 8-year track record, the Alexis Park Inn & Suites in Iowa City, IA!

Why? Cuz Mary and I have closed the deal on a new (to us) motel on Mustang Island, Texas! The city is Port Aransas – “Port A” for short – and it is the main city on this small, barrier island just off the coast of Texas in an area commonly referred to as the “Texas Riviera”. Best of all, the weather is gorgeous (it’s 75 degrees there today), and the airport has a nice, long, freshly repaved runway less than a mile from the motel!

We’ll of course have many of the same great amenities in Port A – our courtesy van (or golf cart) will be waiting for you at the Mustang Beach Airport with the keys under the mat, and breakfast will still be delivered each morning – but instead of snow and ice all winter you will have sandy beaches and palm trees.

Our house here in Iowa City is sold, and we’re moving to Port A on April 1st. We’ll be taking possession of the motel on April 19th., and all of you guys and gals are invited to the grand opening! The property is currently called the “Harbor Inn”, but our plans are to convert it to the aviation theme starting next fall, one room at a time, until in Spring of 2011 the motel will re-emerge as “Amelia’s Landing” – the best danged little aviation destination in all of Texas!

Hope to see y'all there, preferably BEFORE Texas secedes from the Union. :yikes:

SEE!! I'm still here!! :)) This move of yours sounds like a wonderful idea Jay. Texas is a great state and it looks like that area has a lot of potential for guys with huge imagination and creative abilities like you and Mary.
Dudley

SEE!! I'm still here!! :)) This move of yours sounds like a wonderful idea Jay. Texas is a great state and it looks like that area has a lot of potential for guys with huge imagination and creative abilities like you and Mary.
Dudley

Best of all, it has lots, and lots, and LOTS of GA flying! :smilewinkgrin:

Oh, and 22 million people within 500 miles of Mustang Island...

Yeah, a marketing plan based on GA delivery of promotional items, if memory serves . . . :D

Wait!!! What happend to:???

Now you own a chain!!!:rofl:

Sadly, the only "chain" I own is holding up a 1-ton hoist, and is hanging from the rafters in my hangar... :D

Actually, the idea of a chain of motels isn't bad, in principle. In practice, however, it too easily slips into the blandest "Holiday Inn"-kind of mediocrity.

Someone needs to develop a chain of lodging establishments that REQUIRES owner/operators. This would eliminate off-site investment ownership, which (IMHO) is at the core of many problems in the lodging world.

Of course, what I perceive as "problems" many people enjoy and appreciate. "Sameness" is endemic in our society, as is evidenced by the success of WalMart and McDonalds nationwide, and explains the success of appalling places like "Super 8" at the low end, and "Sheraton" at the higher end. Many people LIKE to wake up in exactly the same place no matter where they are, with the same clock radio sitting on top of the same end table, which are both available on pages 521 and 596 (respectively) in the American Hotel Register catalog.

I like to think that discerning people will choose the path less traveled, with unique services and furnishings. In fact, I'm banking on it, again.

Of course, what I perceive as "problems" many people enjoy and appreciate. "Sameness" is endemic in our society, as is evidenced by the success of WalMart and McDonalds nationwide, and explains the success of appalling places like "Super 8" at the low end, and "Sheraton" at the higher end. Many people LIKE to wake up in exactly the same place no matter where they are, with the same clock radio sitting on top of the same end table, which are both available on pages 521 and 596 (respectively) in the American Hotel Register catalog.

I like to think that discerning people will choose the path less traveled, with unique services and furnishings. In fact, I'm banking on it, again.

It depends.

When on work travel, my "hotel experience" is typically limited to sleep, shower, reading and internet access. I don't want or need chandeliers in lobbies, original artwork in the halls, or a pianist in the reception area.

I want to be able to control the room temperature and airflow (not necessarily the same thing!), have sufficient hot water, storage space, security, and enough room to do sitsups and pushups (since 95% of hotel gyms are useless).

When I travel on business I am not looking for an "experience," I need a room to rest, recover, and prepare.

I've found that when I book a room in a Hilton chain, I will get what I'm expecting (with a few small deviations).

Sadly, the only "chain" I own is holding up a 1-ton hoist, and is hanging from the rafters in my hangar... :D

Actually, the idea of a chain of motels isn't bad, in principle. In practice, however, it too easily slips into the blandest "Holiday Inn"-kind of mediocrity.

Someone needs to develop a chain of lodging establishments that REQUIRES owner/operators. This would eliminate off-site investment ownership, which (IMHO) is at the core of many problems in the lodging world.

I suppose there's something to be said for knowing exactly what to expect when you're not home. I, however, frequently go out of my way to find new places to eat when I travel. I'll often walk up to the hotel desk and ask the clerk "Where can I get something good to eat that I couldn't find at home?" I've had some really excellent meals that way. I remember BBQ in Huntsville AL and an Ecuadorean seafood restaurant in Alexandria VA. I'm a little at a loss as to how to safely find hotels away from home without resorting to a chain - which is not always safe, but I've never had a _bad_ experience at, say Hampton Inn.

Jay, you're in the business, how would I find out about your hotel if I was traveling to Iowa City on business? How would I be sure it's really clean and nice if I hadn't followed your stories here and on r.a.p? I'd really like to know because I can choose (as long as I can hit government per diem rates) and I like different, but I don't like small, old and dirty and I've stayed at a few of those (and to be fair, some _were_ chains) even after checking online pictures and reviews.

John

If you stay at a chain motel or eat at a chain restaurant you know pretty much what you are going to get. If you try something different it could either be a lot better, or a lot worse. We don't have much control over the motel aspect of traveling and we almost always stay in chains, but not the same one. Sometimes that isn't possible and we end up somewhere else. Some of these places have been nice, others not so much so. I'm more willing to experiment with restaurants than some people are. I know some people who will only choose places like Bennigans, Fridays, Ruby Tuesday, etc. while I will pick some weird ethnic places.

To me, it is about a consistent experience. It isn't very often that I stay in a hotel, but when I do, it's because I desperately need to and I'm probably not in the mood for a bad experience. You really do not know what you're getting by just picking any local name - in fact - my experience with small locally owned hotels has never been good. I'm sure yours is different.

I've never been disappointed with a Holiday Inn Express - I actually prefer them over the standard Holiday Inn.

First Question: What is the market value of a brand, new aviation themed hotel?

Second question: Can you get uncontaminated auto gas on Mustang Island?

Looking to make money in aviation? There’s no need to start with a large fortune (only to watch it reduced to a small fortune) when you can simply buy a turn-key, freshly remodeled, aviation-themed, all suites hotel business with a proven 8-year track record, the Alexis Park Inn & Suites in Iowa City, IA!

Why? Cuz Mary and I have closed the deal on a new (to us) motel on Mustang Island, Texas! The city is Port Aransas – “Port A” for short – and it is the main city on this small, barrier island just off the coast of Texas in an area commonly referred to as the “Texas Riviera”. Best of all, the weather is gorgeous (it’s 75 degrees there today), and the airport has a nice, long, freshly repaved runway less than a mile from the motel!

We’ll of course have many of the same great amenities in Port A – our courtesy van (or golf cart) will be waiting for you at the Mustang Beach Airport with the keys under the mat, and breakfast will still be delivered each morning – but instead of snow and ice all winter you will have sandy beaches and palm trees.

Our house here in Iowa City is sold, and we’re moving to Port A on April 1st. We’ll be taking possession of the motel on April 19th., and all of you guys and gals are invited to the grand opening! The property is currently called the “Harbor Inn”, but our plans are to convert it to the aviation theme starting next fall, one room at a time, until in Spring of 2011 the motel will re-emerge as “Amelia’s Landing” – the best danged little aviation destination in all of Texas!

Hope to see y'all there, preferably BEFORE Texas secedes from the Union. :yikes:

Congratulations, Jay! I'm very excited for you guys! Welcome to Texas, come on in - the water's fine! Port A isn't that far of a flight from Houston, and I know a particular raffle airplane that would love to be on static display at your grand opening (when is that, again?), if you'll have it.

Got the guns down (S&W 9mm; Walther P22; Ruger 10/22), but my 2-years of high school Spanish probably won't cut it.

Actually, in our three trips to the island we saw VERY few Mexicans, despite the close proximity to Mexico. When I asked about this (to my realtor, and to a cute little barmaid at a drinking establishment not far from the Harbor Inn) they both said that the higher cost of living on the island tends to discourage new immigrants.

A downside of this phenomenon is that affordable housekeeping help is apparently VERY hard to find, and competition for them is fierce.

You're going to fit right in with that hardware. You'll also be very surprised by how quickly your high school spanish comes back to you. I was when I moved here. I'm by no means fluent, but I know enough that I can get by.

Mary and I made an effort to spend the night in each suite. That was a real learning experience, because you can spend a dozen hours decorating a theme suite and STILL not notice stuff that any real guest notices in an hour.

Example: I wear glasses. We stayed in the Red Baron Suite, and when we climbed in bed I took my glasses off, reached over, and...there was no end table on my side. Whoops -- we decorated for looks, not functionality.

So, we put in another end table. It doesn't look as nice, but it WORKS.

Same with stuff like hooks in the bathroom for your robe, a clock radio next to the bed, and a shower head that doesn't spray water over the edge of the tub.

When we travel, it's always easy to spot the rooms that no member of hotel management has ever set foot in.

That's incredible! Such a simple idea, but so effective! It goes along with the saying that you should spend a night in the guest room of your house periodically to make sure that it has everything your guests will need.

How much time do you have? :)

The main pet peeves we have addressed include:

- Twin beds? Hell, no! Nothing smaller than a queen bed.
- No coffee maker smaller than 10-cup. (One or two cup coffee makers are an affront against humanity!)
- Crappy coffee in the rooms. I spent YEARS finding the great 10-cup coffee pillow packs we use, but they make great coffee.
- Breakfast served in a common area with a bunch of guys who haven't taken a shower yet.
- Breakfast served till 9 AM. Get there at 8:59, and all that's left is the stuff that everyone else has picked over. Get there at 9:01, and you go hungry. (We DELIVER breakfast to each guest's room, each morning.)
- Frozen, reconstituted "bakery" items.
- Charging for wireless. No way!
- Charging for local phone calls. No way!
- Charging for parking. No FRIGGIN' way!
- Weak water pressure -- shower head flow restrictors should be illegal!
- Charging for movies. B.S! Ours are free.
- "Conditioning" shampoo? WTF? It's either a conditioner, or shampoo -- not both. We provide both.

The list goes on... :yesnod:

Agree with all of the above.

That's funny, but I agree with the other guys, if I'm going to be doing much on the internet or anything on my computer, I'd rather it be at an actual desk. More than anything, it's so that I can use my wireless mouse rather than that $#!$ touch pad.

Jay - again, I'm happy for you and I'm ecstatic that such a cool-sounding thing is going to be opening within easy flying distance from me. You do have some fly-in hotel competition here with the Hangar Hotel in Fredericksburg, but I think that your concept is sufficiently different than theirs that it won't be much of an issue. You're welcome to come to any of the Wings & Wheels events at the museum and bring us some brochures to promote your place!

It's been a while since I HAD to travel.

Even so, seldom do I go someplace for a hotel no matter how nice it is.

But given that I'm going somewhere, I will choose the chain if it's one night and I and all I want to do is sleep. That happens about as often as I'll take a Big Mac because I really have to have something to eat right now (if you've seen me you know how often that happens).

In my mind, I've been screwed by Holliday Inn more time than I've had any problem with "let try this it sounds like fun" hotels. I will not stay at a HI unless there is no other choice. Last 15 years Holiday Inn and MacDonalds are about a tie at I think 3 times.

Joe

I used to be all about value, and low price was king. I seem to be preferring quality in my old age. Last couple overnight trips I took I stayed in suites, and I am beginning to like the experience. I seem to wind up spending time in hotel rooms during trips, and it is nice to have pleasant surroundings. Still sorry I haven't hit Ames. Who knows, maybe I'll get invited for a seminar.

Back