For Sale -- One brand, new aviation themed hotel

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
Looking to make money in aviation? There’s no need to start with a large fortune (only to watch it reduced to a small fortune) when you can simply buy a turn-key, freshly remodeled, aviation-themed, all suites hotel business with a proven 8-year track record, the Alexis Park Inn & Suites in Iowa City, IA!

Why? Cuz Mary and I have closed the deal on a new (to us) motel on Mustang Island, Texas! The city is Port Aransas – “Port A” for short – and it is the main city on this small, barrier island just off the coast of Texas in an area commonly referred to as the “Texas Riviera”. Best of all, the weather is gorgeous (it’s 75 degrees there today), and the airport has a nice, long, freshly repaved runway less than a mile from the motel!

We’ll of course have many of the same great amenities in Port A – our courtesy van (or golf cart) will be waiting for you at the Mustang Beach Airport with the keys under the mat, and breakfast will still be delivered each morning – but instead of snow and ice all winter you will have sandy beaches and palm trees.

Our house here in Iowa City is sold, and we’re moving to Port A on April 1st. We’ll be taking possession of the motel on April 19th., and all of you guys and gals are invited to the grand opening! The property is currently called the “Harbor Inn”, but our plans are to convert it to the aviation theme starting next fall, one room at a time, until in Spring of 2011 the motel will re-emerge as “Amelia’s Landing” – the best danged little aviation destination in all of Texas!

Hope to see y'all there, preferably BEFORE Texas secedes from the Union. :yikes:

Hooray, Jay!

Glad you successfully found a property down there. Wave good bye to winter:blowingkisses:.

If I were still in San Antonio, I'd take you up on the grand opening offer. Given where we live now, it's much more challenging to get there.

Awesome! Welcome to TEXAS!

I knew you were looking for property on the coast, but for some reason thought you intended to keep/run the Texas hotel AND the Iowa City hotel at the same time. We'll definitely be down for a visit!

If, enroute to KIOW or parts north, you ever need to stop on the north side of Fort Worth (KFTW, KAFW, KDTO, KFWS, T67, or 52F) please DO let me know, we'll pick you up and provide whatever assistance we can.

I REALLY like the proposed name of the new motel! We now have an excuse to visit coastal TX, but I suppose that means waiting until Spring, 2011, as I've always wanted to see my name in lights.

Cheers- and best wishes for great success.

Amelia

If I dont fly down to visit, I definitely will be riding the motorcycle down to tour the "Riviera"....

Welcome to Texas Jay...

Now all we have to do is get you to buy a few guns, and learn how to speak Spanish... (grin)

great to hear you're oppening up that property. One of my reasons for learning to fly is to go to destinations such as yours... I will definitely add your place in Port A. to my list.

Jay, which airport is a mile away? KRAS or XS45?

Looks like a 6.7 hr no wind flight for me.

Joe

Congratulations and Welcome to Texas. Kevin and I like Mustang Island and hang out on the National Seashore in our RV. His daughter lives in Corpus Christi. We'll make a point of coming to see you. Either by road or plane!

Have a safe and stress free move.

Awesome! Welcome to TEXAS!

I knew you were looking for property on the coast, but for some reason thought you intended to keep/run the Texas hotel AND the Iowa City hotel at the same time. We'll definitely be down for a visit!

If, enroute to KIOW or parts north, you ever need to stop on the north side of Fort Worth (KFTW, KAFW, KDTO, KFWS, T67, or 52F) please DO let me know, we'll pick you up and provide whatever assistance we can.

We may end up keeping both, if a buyer can't be found, but logistically it's very hard to imagine making it all work. What makes little inns like ours successful is the fact that they are intensely personal affairs that routinely beat the chains by offering service that far exceeds anything they can offer. Achieving that level of service with part-time (or even full-time) managers is problematic at best.

And, even though we currently have OUTSTANDING staff here in Iowa City, no one is immortal. WTF do I do if one of my key people has a heart attack, while I'm sitting on an island 1240 miles away?

No, it makes more sense to sell the place to a like-minded aviation nut case who wants to hang out all day with pilots and pretend that they're working... :D

I REALLY like the proposed name of the new motel! We now have an excuse to visit coastal TX, but I suppose that means waiting until Spring, 2011, as I've always wanted to see my name in lights.

Cheers- and best wishes for great success.

Amelia

Were you named after Ms. Earhart? :yesnod:

Our best friends named their daughter "Amelia", after the famous aviatrix...

While I can't take you up on the offer to sell, booking a stay is definitely in my budget this summer. It's a short two hour flight from Georgetown for me and my wife.

I've bookmarked this thread, and placed in in my "Destinations" folder, until Amelia’sLanding.com goes live. :smile:

If I dont fly down to visit, I definitely will be riding the motorcycle down to tour the "Riviera"....

Welcome to Texas Jay...

Now all we have to do is get you to buy a few guns, and learn how to speak Spanish... (grin)

Got the guns down (S&W 9mm; Walther P22; Ruger 10/22), but my 2-years of high school Spanish probably won't cut it.

Actually, in our three trips to the island we saw VERY few Mexicans, despite the close proximity to Mexico. When I asked about this (to my realtor, and to a cute little barmaid at a drinking establishment not far from the Harbor Inn) they both said that the higher cost of living on the island tends to discourage new immigrants.

A downside of this phenomenon is that affordable housekeeping help is apparently VERY hard to find, and competition for them is fierce.

No, it makes more sense to sell the place to a like-minded aviation nut case who wants to hang out all day with pilots and pretend that they're working... :D

Owner financing to the likes of Tony & Leah or Jesse & Tristan?

By the way, do you know if that tethered balloon to 15000 feet three quadrangles up the coast NE of your new hotel is there all the time, or intermittently? Definitely something to watch out for!

I think we got the makings of a really cool fly-in.

Jay, you might consider making a regular date on the calendar, especially during a period of the year when things are in the low season, but weather still nice.

It would be a winner all around for you and local bars/restaurants/tourist places if you can get them on board with you and then plan good turn out.

Nope, named after my lovely grandmother- and hers, and so on back at least 175 years. And now there's a new Amelia in the line-up-- my own granddaughter.

Jay,

I just missed you at MSN a couple weeks ago - Talked to Mary in the terminal when you were preflighting. I hear you're not coming to OSH this year? :dunno: :( :( :( The pool party was in the wrong direction for me, but I sure enjoyed Wednesday night in the North 40.

Owner financing to the likes of Tony & Leah or Jesse & Tristan?

!

LOL I was thinking Kent.

Mazel Tov Jay! I wish you skads of success at the new location. Suggestion for ya if you don't mind and idea from someone who has zip expereince in the hospitality industry. My guess is that those that came to the Alexis were pilots. My guess is that those who come to Ameilias will be pilots and non pilots since in addition to the aviation theme you will be in a resort town, You might be able to use the hotel to really promote GA and getting more non pilots into flying lessons, perhaps some cooperation with the local FBO. It could be great for your business.

I wish you a lit NO VACANCY sign:smile:

Congratulations Jay. Hope you're able to sell the current property and that it all works out well for you.

LOL I was thinking Kent.

Mazel Tov Jay! I wish you skads of success at the new location. Suggestion for ya if you don't mind and idea from someone who has zip expereince in the hospitality industry. My guess is that those that came to the Alexis were pilots. My guess is that those who come to Ameilias will be pilots and non pilots since in addition to the aviation theme you will be in a resort town, You might be able to use the hotel to really promote GA and getting more non pilots into flying lessons, perhaps some cooperation with the local FBO. It could be great for your business.

Ah, yes, having a sign at the front desk or in the in-room materials offering (or promoting) local flights down the beach if there's an FBO set up to do that would be awesome!

I think we got the makings of a really cool fly-in.

Jay, you might consider making a regular date on the calendar, especially during a period of the year when things are in the low season, but weather still nice.

It would be a winner all around for you and local bars/restaurants/tourist places if you can get them on board with you and then plan good turn out.

Heh heh heh. That's already in the plan, my friend! Stay tuned, cuz this is gonna be FUN! :yesnod:

Jay,

I just missed you at MSN a couple weeks ago - Talked to Mary in the terminal when you were preflighting. I hear you're not coming to OSH this year? :dunno: :( :( :( The pool party was in the wrong direction for me, but I sure enjoyed Wednesday night in the North 40.

This may be the first Oshkosh we miss in 28 years, sad to say. I have a hard time imagining that we'll be able to get away for our traditional week at OSH, coming just a few months after buying the new place -- but hope springs eternal. Even if I can only get there for a couple of days, I'm gonna do my best to make it!

LOL I was thinking Kent.

Actually, less than 5% of our guests at the Alexis are pilots. There simply are not enough pilots in the Midwest to keep an aviation themed hotel alive on their own. (Although that percentage goes up dramatically during the "good weather season" of summer.)

Luckily, there are plenty of non-pilots who enjoy our hospitality, so we are actually coming off our second-best January EVER, despite the dismal economy. :)

An FBO, I'd be interested in. A hotel - I don't know the first thing! :frown2:

Neither did Mary and me, eight years ago. Hell, I was a newspaper guy, and she was a medical technologist. We had ZERO experience in the hotel world, so don't let THAT stop you.

We operated (and still operate) on two very basic premises which have evolved into a successful business plan:

1. Eliminate everything you HATE in hotels
2. Add everything you LIKE in hotels.

Do this, and you will succeed, because most people hate (and like) the same things. Best of all, nearly all hotels/motels SUCK, so beating them isn't terribly difficult. :D

Neither did Mary and me, eight years ago. Hell, I was a newspaper guy, and she was a medical technologist. We had ZERO experience in the hotel world, so don't let THAT stop you.

We operated (and still operate) on two very basic premises which have evolved into a successful business plan:

Do this, and you will succeed, because most people hate (and like) the same things. Best of all, nearly all hotels/motels SUCK, so beating them isn't terribly difficult. :D

I'd love to hear some of the things you put in those two lists! :yesnod:

That is wise... I've stayed in a wide spectrum of places in the US, and for me it's the little things... like a hook on the wall near the door for your winter coat, soap that actually produces lather, good water pressure in the shower.... and most importantly, mgmt. that heeds my informing them that if I am working nights while I am there, housekeeping is NOT to bang on the door 5 times before noon.
:mad2:

housekeeping is NOT to bang on the door 5 times before noon.
:mad2:
+1. Sometimes I don't think they pay any attention to the "do not disturb" sign. My other pet peeve is having someone call on the phone after I've been there for an hour or two to ask if everything is OK. If it wasn't OK I would have let them know. I know this is supposed to be a courtesy but it is annoying to me.

My pet peeve with hotels is the beds. Why do all hotels assume that everyone likes beds as hard as a rock? I go out of my way when I'm traveling to stay at Radisson Hotels because they have Sleep Number beds that I can adjust the way I like them (soft enough to disappear in!). I just spent a week in Huntsville, TX where there wasn't one. It'll take me another week to get the stiffness out of my back and neck because of that bed!

Congrats on the new venture. I think you'll like Mustang Island. Maybe once you get it up and running, we can have a Gaston's style fly-in there that I might actually be able to go to!

Hotel Peeves? Is this the hotel peeves thread??? Oh, goody! I love to complain about hotels.

My big beef is the nickel-and-diming. Thank you, thank you, Jay and Mary. It sounds as if you've avoided stepping on my sorest tourist's sore toe. It just irks the heck out of my cheap self to pay over $150 a night for an ordinary hotel room, and then have to pay for local phone calls, and then have to pay extra for internet access, and to have to tip everybody, the parking guy (because valet is required), the bell boy- even though my single carry-on is well within my capabilities, who stands expectantly with his palm outstretched for showing me where the light switch is, the maid,... dang. Just charge me an extra $10 up front, share it with the employees, who should have been better paid in the first place, and forget all the little extra charges for stuff I think I should expect in the first place. This is why I generally avoid the fancy joints-- because I know they'll get me coming and going. It's not the money, it's the nuisance.
So there you have it. My big hotel-whine.

And while the old location may not be on my usual route, I may make a special effort to find the new one.

+1. Sometimes I don't think they pay any attention to the "do not disturb" sign. My other pet peeve is having someone call on the phone after I've been there for an hour or two to ask if everything is OK. If it wasn't OK I would have let them know. I know this is supposed to be a courtesy but it is annoying to me.

I understand that it is easier for them to have scheduled rounds,and I have a soft spot for people who clean up after others for a living, but there are actually some places that will ask if a particular time works for you, and will adhere to that. So it can be done. There's usually a morning round and an afternoon round, in fact. Assigning different shifts to different rooms is not some Herculean task.

But most places I've stayed at, requests made at check-in, and even the sign have proven ineffective.

If they ask at check-in, or better yet have door signs that indicate which shift I want the clean-up done (which eliminates communication SNAFUs between front desk and housekeeping), it immediately enhances the relaxation factor.

I don't go to a hotel to be impressed or to feel like a big shot- I go to recover from work. Don't call me, don't knock... not unless it's a day past check-out and there's a funny smell coming from the room. :D

Might seem silly to vacationers or those working a normal schedule, but most times I've traveled it was business, and the work was usually done after hours, or double shifts. The worst is when you cross time zones, go straight from the airport to the job site, work into the night, then stagger back to the hotel to try to snatch some winks in a strange bed before going back to work early the next afternoon... being undisturbed is HUGELY important then.

While we are drifting to things we like/don't like about hotel stays, I'll add

Wants/likes
Quiet heat/ac unit
FREE internet/WiFi
Comfy bed (I like the idea of the sleep number, allows you to satisfy the widest range of guests)
Plenty of plugs close to bed and not hidden by furniture (I use a CPAP machine as well as like to have power for charging cell phone and laptop)
Comfy chair with good reading light if I wish to read while not on bed.
If full breakfast is not included with stay, then a coupon for discount at really good and close eatery.
CASH DISCOUNTS!!
good value for money paid.
Coupons from local venues whom you're working a good co-marketing deal with.

DISLIKES
Not enough sound insulation to keep out unwanted noise
Concrete slab beds
worn out pillows
Small sandpaper towels
out dated decor and bed linen
$10+/day wi-fi when all I want is a few hours of access
cardboard continental breakfasts.

One thing you don't see much anymore is something that encourages some guest interaction like a meal family style, or as the host, introducing guests to one another and starting the conversation with a fact or two about the two folks.

My big beef is the nickel-and-diming. ... then have to pay extra for internet access

Agreed on that one. The worst are the hotels that charge you $xx per DAY, but "day" not being a 24 hour period from when you turn it on, but a calendar day; so if I want internet when I get in from dinner, my "$xx per DAY" only lasts til Midnight, and then I'm dinged again for a full DAY for being on from midnight to 2am catching up on POA posts.

WiFi's cheap--make it free. And if a hotel MUST charge for internet, make it be a 24-hour period from when I first log on, or one fee ($9.95, no more) for the entire stay.

Back