Food

Toby

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Toby Speed
How's that for a broad topic heading! :)

So, what's everyone eating for lunch today? Swiss, lettuce and tomato on sunflower seed rye bread, Macoun's apple from farmer's market I found on the Thruway.

Not sure yet but I was thinking of Frito pie with a side of boiled peanuts and some mud cake. For some reason I have a taste for that stuff, don't know why though :D;)

Scott

I'm trying to decide between chinese hot n sour soup or italian wedding soup (both homemade), along with some fresh sourdough french bread, salad and half a can of Pringles.

(Just kidding about the Pringles!)

smigaldi said:
Not sure yet but I was thinking of Frito pie with a side of boiled peanuts and some mud cake. For some reason I have a taste for that stuff, don't know why though
After the Ohio thread, I had to go get some Skyline chili. Cathy just rolled her eyes :rolleyes: when she saw it. That's going camping with me this weekend.

Roast beef sandwich made with leftovers from Sunday's dinner.

Toby said:
So, what's everyone eating for lunch today?

Leftover roast beef with red potatoes, carrots, and onions. Zippy sauce on the beef (regular BBQ sauce with a generous dose of "rooster" sauce). A nice large, fresh, crisp Gala apple to top it off.

Bill Jennings said:
Leftover roast beef with red potatoes, carrots, and onions. Zippy sauce on the beef (regular BBQ sauce with a generous dose of "rooster" sauce). A nice large, fresh, crisp Gala apple to top it off.
No banana Moonpie?

Leftover homemade macaroni and cheese. (I'm getting over some kind of bug, and I'm not sure I can handle anything racier than that!)

Toby said:
How's that for a broad topic heading! :)

So, what's everyone eating for lunch today? Swiss, lettuce and tomato on sunflower seed rye bread, Macoun's apple from farmer's market I found on the Thruway.

Don't know. Haven't seen what's on the menu at the cafeteria today. Whatever it is, it will be better than starvation, although on some days that margin is slim. :D

the way my day is starting....i think a triple martini is in order.

Dinner last night was a big bowl of Xe Luc at Pho Pasteur in Chinatown. Mmm, tasty.

Lunch today is Szechuan, beef with vegetables and noodles and a spicy chili paste, a big bowl of hot and sour soup, and homemade Szechuan spicy pickles. We give a lot of business to a local Chinese place, and whenever we go in for lunch they always give us the "off the menu" stuff, amazing!

I think dinner tonight will be made from leftovers, I have a pack of 9 chicken thighs that my buddy smoked up for a charity fundraiser we did (I did 65# of pork), I'll heat them up, make a little chicken stock, and have a big bowl of smoked chicken stew for dinner. I have a big vat of roasted veggies my mom made after going berserk at a farmers market last week, that would go nicely with a dumpling or two.

Cheers,

-Andrew

just snacking .. saving room for bbq new york steak tonight :) .. found a great recepie that i tried out last weekend. i'm gonna cook it again tonight.

Dipping Sauce ( it's better than it sounds by the ingredients )

1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons of whiskey
1 tablespoon of brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper

Bring to a boil over medium high heat, then to a simmer for 20 minutes.

the RUB:

3 cloves of crushed garlic ( to a paste )
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon of pepper
1 tablesppon chopped rosemary
2 tablespoons of olive oil

spread evenly over the steaks and grill over direct heat for about 8-12 minutes per side. ( depending on the thickness )

let sit for 5 minutes and serve with dipping sauce. mmmmm .. asparagus or sauteed mushrooms go good with it.

that is all from memory .. i'll re-look at the recepie tonight. if i missed anything, i'll update the post =) .. this is a quick, easy, must-try if you like to bbq!

Last edited:
I'm having lunch at a nearby food court where I will have a coice of:
Afghani
Thai
Chinese
Japanese
Mexican
Hawaiin
Rotisserie chicken
Chicago dogs
Indian
And a few others I may be forgetting.

mmilano said:
i've never had afghani or indian .. is it appetizing?

Indian food is my favorite! I love the blends of spices. I also like spices. If you don't like exotic tastes or spices, Indian food is not for you. I've been to Indian restaurants with unadventurous eaters and, while I thought the food sublime, they couldn't stand it. Go figure.

Ahem. Lunch today: low-fat cheese, rye crackers, carrots, banana. Still trying to take off those last few pounds.

Judy

mmilano said:

Indian is quit common and very good. Lots of great tastes and blends.

Afghani is a bit plainer. I like the baked pumpkin with a spiced ground lamb on top.

Lunch today was turkey and sharp cheese on whole wheat pita with horseradish dijon mustard...sugar free jello for desert. Cheese stick for a snack.

Related to food....thanks to the South Beach Diet I was able to wear a suit I hadn't worn in over a year to a sales meeting last week.

Another ten pounds and I think I'll fit into my old leather jacket I wore in the late 70's....I really like that jacket....it is a morotcycle style not a flying style.

Len

Ghery said:
Don't know. Haven't seen what's on the menu at the cafeteria today. Whatever it is, it will be better than starvation, although on some days that margin is slim. :D

Gad, quoting myself...

Well, nothing really reached out and grabbed me. Same old, same old. So, it was the salad bar for me today...

Tuna salad sandwich. Medical next week, BP still a titch too high :mad:

You guys are killin' me. Ask me again next friday.

Homemade Fried Rice. Prep time 7 mins. Cook time 15 mins.

needed:

3 cups cooked white rice (jasmine is good)
soy sauce to taste or a 1/4 ounce
salt and pepper to taste or 1 tablespoon each
2 tablespoon cooking oil (olive is good)
3 raw eggs
2 stalks of green onions chopped
garlic to taste or 3-4 tablespoon minced garlic

optional:

1 cup of sweet peas
various cooked meats like char su is good, lean steak, spam, chicken, etc.
1 cup of chopped carrots

directions:

With large pan heat oil on medium. Add garlic. Allow garlic to cook briefly. Add rice. Stir while adding salt/pepper/eggs. Stir till eggs are done. Add soy sauce. Stir. Add green onions and optional ingredients. Turn off stove. Eat. Share. Enjoy.

Kelly

I was on the road today........

Off to KMIV for a quick check on the lighting and signage project then back to the twin spans for ...yuck.....paper work.

I made a stop for a "Dog House" dog with cheese and kraut, order of cheese fries and a lemonade.

I know not healthy at all....but at the end of the week Mary has me starting the weight watchers diet....so a counting I will go :dunno: 5'8" 240. She said if I lose 60 she'll head out with me and buy a plane ASAP. Dang......that's to much pressure :eek: I love pasta......I'm ok with waiting until next fall for the purchase.;) And the search begins........Beech Sundowner.

KELLY! YOU FORGOT THE CASHEWS

Lunch was enchilada plate lunch.

Supper? You know it! It was Frito Chili Pie.

Even better after the chili is re-heated.

Man, there are a lot of guys who cook on this board! You go, guys!

silver-eagle said:
two bars of lindt chocolate. Both dark, one with almonds.
This is the winner -- best lunch in the world, bar none! :)

I did Taco Bell for lunch. Although, maybe I shouldn't have. Bllllrrrrrfffffff.

Still wondering what to have for a small dinner tonight.

Sicilian Pizza with Sausage,Mushrooms, and Peperoni, and to drink a 20 Oz. Pepsi
Hows that for healthy lunch Dave G

Subway
6" turkey no cheese
lettuce, pickles, banana peppers, green peppers, olives, hot mustard
Baked Lays
Light Lemonade

On the road today and tomorrow. Lunch with the banker tomorrow. Should be much better :).

Todays meals are as follows:

Breakfast-In VT Dunkin Donuts (YUCK!!!!!) but Kim was having her little Dunkin Donuts fix today

Lunch-Cracker Barrel some where in NH and I had catfish macaroni & cheese and apples

Dinner-a/p in BOS 3 margaritas (after getting bumped off a earlier flt into RDU, then seeing our later flight out [supposed to leave at 6:20, but left at 8:30] so my mom and the rest of my party were all in a tizzy) and a sampler platter of wings, mozzarella sticks and shrimp to split btwn 4 people

Late PM snack-full can diet coke unopened (saving it for breakfast in the am) and a small pack of pretzels, and 1/2 bag of resses pieces

I am so ready to get back on a regular schedule of eating healthy again.

HPNFlyGirl said:
Todays meals are as follows:

Breakfast-In VT Dunkin Donuts (YUCK!!!!!) but Kim was having her little Dunkin Donuts fix today

Lunch-Cracker Barrel some where in NH and I had catfish macaroni & cheese and apples

Dinner-a/p in BOS 3 margaritas (after getting bumped off a earlier flt into RDU, then seeing our later flight out [supposed to leave at 6:20, but left at 8:30] so my mom and the rest of my party were all in a tizzy) and a sampler platter of wings, mozzarella sticks and shrimp to split btwn 4 people

Late PM snack-full can diet coke unopened (saving it for breakfast in the am) and a small pack of pretzels, and 1/2 bag of resses pieces

I am so ready to get back on a regular schedule of eating healthy again.

You avatar's color is appropriate. Any girl or boy would be green after that.

Seefood for me, hands-down. Nothing better than a seefood diet. I see food and eat it; raised by an Army man, learned at an early age to eat what was put before me; absolutely nothing that I don't like. Still weighing-in at variable 137-142 since 3rd year of high school(1960-61). Sundays are special up here in Brunswick. Bombay Mahal has a buffet of their fabulous Indian cuisine. Also on Sunday is brunch at The Seadog Pub on the Topsham side of the Androscoggin River in the old paper mill(yellow building in the photos). I usually alternate the Sunday(s) fare. Just love to eat.

HR

Phooey! Had two of my aerial persectives of the Brunswick-Topsham connecting bridge and the old paper mill, but can't use them because they are Tiff(s) reduced from 55MB files. But if anyone wants to see them, email me your snail mail addy and I'll send you one of my Lawreston/Distinctive Views brochures. At least one Pilot of America can vouch for the concept, photography, design, type-set, and production of the in-house project.

mmilano said:

I've never had Afghani, but Indian food is awesome.

Indian food can be summed up like this: Do you like Curry? If yes, you'll like Indian food. If not...well....perhaps you should try Afghani.

Toby said:
This is the winner -- best lunch in the world, bar none! :)

I was watching one of those chef competition shows the other day. One of the judges remarked that the reason he liked the particular dish he had been served was the chef combined the two most delicious foods on the planet, bacon and chocolate.

Carol said:
I was watching one of those chef competition shows the other day. One of the judges remarked that the reason he liked the particular dish he had been served was the chef combined the two most delicious foods on the planet, bacon and chocolate.
I don't know, that doesn't sound so good to me. Chocolate and raspberry, chocolate and orange, chocolate and coconut are all good. I tried chocolate beer in a brewery in Montreal this past weekend. -------> :vomit:

Back