Food

Carol said:
I was watching one of those chef competition shows the other day. One of the judges remarked that the reason he liked the particular dish he had been served was the chef combined the two most delicious foods on the planet, bacon and chocolate.
I like the Japanese verision of Iron Chef. The americanized version has yet to tickle my fancy.

Ken Ibold said:
I like the Japanese verision of Iron Chef. The americanized version has yet to tickle my fancy.

I guess that was what I was watching. It was the Iron Chef and one team spoke Japanese. First time I had seen the show. I forgot exactly how he incorporated bacon and chocolate into the same dish but the judge loved it.

Ken Ibold said:

That show is a riot.

The other one I like is Alton Brown's 'Good Eats'.... a bit of science and wry humor with your food.

mmilano said:
i've never had afghani or indian .. is it appetizing?
The Afghan place has a chicken kabob that is to die for. Indian is great if you like it spicy.

jkaduk said:
Indian is great if you like it spicy.

Before I say what I have to say, let me say this. It has been proven to me on occasion that hunger nullifies disgust, and anything becomes palatable given time. However, Indian food? :vomit:

Didn't you see Indian Jones II?

half a cucumber. half a green pepper. 2 apples. one of those little cans of pre-made tuna. diet ginger ale. and ......................

SMALL BAG OF FRITOS! Gotta have 'em, to balance out all that healthy green-type of food.

Here's another question: are edamame the same thing as soybeans? And if so, why can't their manufacturers just call them soybeans? Or is that not fancy enough?

EH

Lunch today was a chicken salad made with low fat sour cream.

Not to get all "South Beach-ie" on folks and I hope I remember the science correctly but some things that I always thought of as "healthy", like fruit (apples) and certain vegetables (carrots for example), contain a lot of sugars which convert to fat if you are not active enough to burn off the sugars shortly after eating them. The first two weeks on South Beach - fruit is verboten.

RE: apples (which I love - especially in pies with ice cream but we won't go there) granny smith apples have less sugar than the red varieties.

Oh, you can eat all the celery you want (supposedly you burn more calories eating it than it contains) also tomatoes are fine (but not catsup or ketchup).

Len

Len Lanetti said:
Not to get all "South Beach-ie" on folks and I hope I remember the science correctly but some things that I always thought of as "healthy", like fruit (apples) and certain vegetables (carrots for example), contain a lot of sugars which convert to fat

Len

Corn is another vegetable that has a lot of sugar .... think "high fructose corn syrup." I'm a big fan of South Beach myself, but I can't help it when it comes to apples. I think the fiber benefit balances out the natural sugars in fruit. I've tried to do no fruit during the first 2 weeks of SB but it is HARD.
Eliz

EHITCH said:
I've tried to do no fruit during the first 2 weeks of SB but it is HARD.

We are past the Phase I mark...I think we actually went closer to three weeks on phase I. We did cheat a bit...we've been allowing ourselves 1 weekend evening off from strict adherence to the diet. Actually, last weekend we even stretched that a bit. I'm holding at 10.5 pounds lost while on South Beach. IIRC - phase II you only loose a pound or two per week and phase III is maintenance.

At this point strawberries are back, probably blueberries too. Pineapple is out as are grapes and rasins.

Karen made a steak soup for dinner last night...lots of cabbage, celery and tomatoes along with some SB approved noodles. It was very good. The kids ate it like it was going out of style.

For lunch today I had a steak wrap with wassabe.

Karen and the kids have been drinking 1% milk...I can handle it on cereal but can't drink it straight. Diet Dr. Pepper is good but of course not in the same sense as milk nor in the same sense as beer for that matter.

Len

You're doing great, Len. No one is perfect, geez! You gotta live.

Try the 2% milk as a transitional thing. Whole different taste and texture than 1%, and better than 4%. Have you tasted the sugar-free Fudgcicles? Jello sugar-free puddings are also good.

Today, Lanvina. Local Vietnamese place. Two Vietnamese eggrolls, and curry chicken. Last hurrah before the medical. It sure was good. No more eating out at all until after next Wed.

Back to tuna tomorrow :vomit: Well, no, it's not as bad as that, but it sure isn't good Vietnamese food either.

Jim G

Toby said:
You're doing great, Len. No one is perfect, geez! You gotta live.

Try the 2% milk as a transitional thing. Whole different taste and texture than 1%, and better than 4%. Have you tasted the sugar-free Fudgcicles? Jello sugar-free puddings are also good.

What, me not perfect....who have you been talking to? :<)

We used to drink the 2% pre South Beach...I'd be fine with sticking with that...maybe once we go into maintenance mode.

We have the sugar free fudgcicles in the freezer...haven't tried one yet. Haven't tried the sugar free pudding either. We have been eating a lot of sugar free jello. I tried some of the fat free sugar free cool whip type stuff on top of the jello the other night and that was good. Of course, the kids were eating Breyer's mint chocolate chip ice cream, guess who had to dish that out.

Len

today:

Braunschwiger on wheat toast, light mayo, pepperjack cheese, gala apple, couple of fig newtons.

grattonja said:
Local Vietnamese place. Two Vietnamese eggrolls, and curry chicken. Last hurrah before the medical. It sure was good. No more eating out at all until after next Wed.

Back to tuna tomorrow :vomit: Well, no, it's not as bad as that, but it sure isn't good Vietnamese food either.

Jim,

Are you saying you can't read the eye chart after Vietnamese food or does it make it hard to hit the little bottle? :<)

Len

Today so far: Venti Black Eye, a sesame seed I found on my desk, a chocolate kiss, and some water.

Today:
Grilled Tuna sandwich with garlic mashed potatos and baked beans at the Weber Grill resturant for a department lunch. Best part is the company paid for it!

Toby said:
I don't know, that doesn't sound so good to me. Chocolate and raspberry, chocolate and orange, chocolate and coconut are all good. I tried chocolate beer in a brewery in Montreal this past weekend. -------> :vomit:

I have a recipe for chocolate chili. Sounds awful, tastes divine. Even non-adventurous eaters like it as long as I don't make it too spicy.

Judy

judypilot said:
I have a recipe for chocolate chili.

Has anyone had that 'sipping chocolate' from Starbucks??? OH MY GOD! it is like drinking warm chocolate syrup. One shot and you will be choco-loaded for days!

kellyo said:
If you were there to watch me devouer it, you'd say different. :yes:
To quote a southern lady:

"Do you eat it using the Fritos as transport vessels or with cutlery?"

Diana said:
To quote a southern lady:

"Do you eat it using the Fritos as transport vessels or with cutlery?"

I used a technique I coined as "the great wide sweep". I remove tacks, paperclips, staples, etc., from my desk. I look around to make sure everyone is watching. I take a drink of water to moisten the old sweeper, then with stark similarity to the whale shark, I lay my tongue on the desk and sweep up the goodies making sure to over overlap for redundency.

"Imagination is one weapon in the war against reality." - Jules de Gaultier

Celebration dinner last night (closed my first outsourcing agreement), with a friend.

U12 shrimp, steamed and chilled, with some cocktail sauce
Shropshire blue and a Pulgiasi pecorino, with crackers
Mix of copa and sopresatta
Hand cut (read: we cut) filets, 60 day dry age (yum), grilled to black and blue.
Haricot verts + wax beans, with a truffle butter
A new rice dish my friend and I have been working on, wild multigrain rices mixed with cherries, currants, toasted pecans and tossed in a orange, olive oil, and rice vinegar vinagrette, chilled (very nice)
Choco Lebeniz and espresso for dessert
A Partagas P as my digestif with a dram of Bookers

Bottle of 2000 Bruno Giacosa S. Stefano Falletto Barolo
Bottle of 1996 Silver Oak Napa
Bottle of 2000 Don Melchor Cabernet Sauvignon
Bottle of 2000 Martengia Barbaresco, single estate
Bottle of 2004 Crocker and Starr Sauvignon Blanc
Bottle of 1959 Solaria Jonica, 375mL (a special treat I've been saving for a long time, for just this moment).

It was an epic 8 hour affair, started at 6pm, at a friends house. I brought 3 bottles of wine, another brought the other 3, and we celebrated and relaxed and enjoyed each others company and good conversation for the whole time. Pretty rare nowadays, sadly, but a night to remember for years to come. My friend Rob and I did all the cooking, which was a nice change of pace from eating out constantly.

Now I'm hungry...

Cheers,

-Andrew

astanley said:
Celebration dinner last night (closed my first outsourcing agreement), with a friend.

Hand cut (read: we cut) filets, 60 day dry age (yum), grilled to black and blue.
A new rice dish my friend and I have been working on, wild multigrain rices mixed with cherries, currants, toasted pecans and tossed in a orange, olive oil, and rice vinegar vinagrette, chilled (very nice)

Bottle of 1959 Solaria Jonica, 375mL (a special treat I've been saving for a long time, for just this moment).

It was an epic 8 hour affair, started at 6pm, at a friends house. I brought 3 bottles of wine, another brought the other 3, and we celebrated and relaxed and enjoyed each others company and good conversation for the whole time. Pretty rare nowadays, sadly, but a night to remember for years to come. My friend Rob and I did all the cooking, which was a nice change of pace from eating out constantly.

Now I'm hungry...

Cheers,

-Andrew

Geezz...

You're living like investment bankers with that feast. Almost.

wsuffa said:
Geezz...

You're living like investment bankers with that feast. Almost.

Almost is right... no $5k bottles of Latour and Margaux or mags of Screaming Eagle, and we paid for the whole thing out of pocket, rather than billing our clients :cheerswine:

Cheers,

-Andrew

astanley said:

Now I'm hungry...

Cheers,

-Andrew

Geez, the only thing I understood out of that whole list was
..."Shrimp"...
..."Crackers"...
and ..."Filet"... and not a clue what grilled black and blue means.

and I thought I had a tough choice when standing in front of my freezer ...
Venison, elk or buffalo?

astanley said:

Now I'm hungry...

Cheers,

-Andrew

yipes! you each drank three bottles? I'd be under the table before I finished one...

if I tell you the names of the 3 or so bottles of Chateauneuf de Pape I bought 4 years ago (also Burgundy, but I think I only have one left) can you tell me the quality?

the rice dish sounds fabulous. now *I* am hungry.

as I wait for my delivery order of Vocelli antipasto and pepp-sticks. :rolleyes:

For lunch today, Greek salad....well its Greek to me...ha ha ha ha...as the salad has fete cheese and black olives....being washed down by a Diet Dr Pepper, not sure of the vintage but best consumed by date is 12/05. :<)

Len

Len Lanetti said:
Jim,

Are you saying you can't read the eye chart after Vietnamese food or does it make it hard to hit the little bottle? :<)

Len

LOL. I'm too blind to read the eye chart without "corrective lenses". The Vietnamese food and included sodium adds to the risk of rupturing the AME's BP cuff :D

I'll be glad when this medical is past. The office is talking about a "beer and pizza" night out. With a bunch of public defenders, those nights get pretty "entertaining".

Jim G

gkainz said:
Geez, the only thing I understood out of that whole list was
..."Shrimp"...
..."Crackers"...
and ..."Filet"... and not a clue what grilled black and blue means.

and I thought I had a tough choice when standing in front of my freezer ...
Venison, elk or buffalo?

Black and blue: Black on the outside, blue on the inside. To prepare, take a very, very hot charcoal fire, and put a cast iron pan just above the hottest part of the coals. Let me put it this way: You shouldn't be able to move your hand over the fire without going ow.

Get the pan hot. Drop in 2 t of butter (which will pretty much vaporize), and drop your steak in. Cook until the butter is gone and a crust has formed on the meat, flip, repeat, serve. You know how really good tuna, when grilled, is nearly raw on the inside (dark red) and there is a band of grey, cooked meat around it? That is what black and blue steak looks like.

A slightly poor example:
blkblue.jpg

Hand cut means we just bought the entire filet section of the tenderloin (remember, the tenderloin has three sections, the torrenedos (sp?), the filet, and the chateaubriand) and cut them into 18oz monstrosities, called crown cuts.

Haricot verts are just green beans, slightly blanched.

Shropshire Blue is the most amazing British cheese. It is the intersection of blue (Stilton style) with cheddar, a deep yellow that boasts a rich, nutty and sharp cheese interlaced with the intense, powerful yet rounded blue of a good Stilton. Note, it isn't a cheddar.

shropshire_blue.jpg

Pugliasi pecorino is a sheeps-milk cheese that is from Puglia, the heel of the boot shaped penninsula that is Italy. Amazing stuff, very strong with a near sour tone that is backed off by super rich creaminess and intense black pepper flavor. (no black pepper inside). Terrible picture:

formapecorino.jpg

Coppa and Sopresatta are cured Italian meats. Knock your socks off, I'm a big fan of good coppa. Coppa is extremely fatty so it is sliced razor thin and served near warm, with a rich fatty delicious pork flavor blooming as it heats in your mouth. Sopresatta is very similar to most salames, closest to the Genoa that is most prevelent in the US (but, frankly, is nothing like the real deal. If you want good salame, try the Milanese, holy jiminy christmas!)

Choco Lebeniz are spanish butter cookies coated in dark chocolate, my brother brought some back for me from Spain and it has been love ever since. I do know of a chocolatier that does a shortbread dipped in a 65% dark chocolate, very nice, but not the same IMO.

chocoleibniz.jpg

Partagas P, well, that is heaven:

Partagas-P2-1-PH.gif

Cheers,

-Andrew

woodstock said:
yipes! you each drank three bottles? I'd be under the table before I finished one...

if I tell you the names of the 3 or so bottles of Chateauneuf de Pape I bought 4 years ago (also Burgundy, but I think I only have one left) can you tell me the quality?

the rice dish sounds fabulous. now *I* am hungry.

as I wait for my delivery order of Vocelli antipasto and pepp-sticks. :rolleyes:

Well, I'll have to call Rob, as he collects Chateauneuf. I'm into Italian wines, primarially Barolo's, Marche's, and Brunello (but any good red juice will work!) I'll gladly find out for you, however. I don't really dig the minerality of Chateauneuf personally, but I did have a bottle with a peck of perfectly ripe nectarines, fresh off the tree, and it was pretty heavenly.

There were 3 of us, so 2 bottles over 8 hours. The Barolo and Barbaresco needed to open up, so those lasted the whole 8 hours. I have one more bottle of the Barolo and I plan to save it until my 40th birthday, which should put it in it's sweet spot (HUGE tannin, needs time to get everything to integrate into a powerful package). Interestingly, none of us were intoxicated by the end of the night. We did, however, also drink through a case of Acqua Panna ("Cream Water" in Italian, it's interesting stuff, not worth $3 a bottle, but $5 for 12 bottles? Sure!)

Cheers,

-Andrew

Len Lanetti said:
For lunch today, Greek salad....well its Greek to me...ha ha ha ha...as the salad has fete cheese and black olives....being washed down by a Diet Dr Pepper, not sure of the vintage but best consumed by date is 12/05. :<)

Len

Dr Pepper? Len, please, don't say it is so...

Cheers,

-Andrew
Moxie drinker

astanley said:
Well, I'll have to call Rob, as he collects Chateauneuf. I'm into Italian wines, primarially Barolo's, Marche's, and Brunello (but any good red juice will work!) I'll gladly find out for you, however. I don't really dig the minerality of Chateauneuf personally, but I did have a bottle with a peck of perfectly ripe nectarines, fresh off the tree, and it was pretty heavenly.

There were 3 of us, so 2 bottles over 8 hours. The Barolo and Barbaresco needed to open up, so those lasted the whole 8 hours. I have one more bottle of the Barolo and I plan to save it until my 40th birthday, which should put it in it's sweet spot (HUGE tannin, needs time to get everything to integrate into a powerful package). Interestingly, none of us were intoxicated by the end of the night. We did, however, also drink through a case of Acqua Panna ("Cream Water" in Italian, it's interesting stuff, not worth $3 a bottle, but $5 for 12 bottles? Sure!)

Cheers,

-Andrew

oh ok, 2 bottles over 8 hours is a cinch. still, I'd have a hangover.

did I tell you about the time I spent a week with Scottish friends, Isle of Skye, New Years week? there were 14 adults (4 kids) and in less than a week we drank over 10 cases of wine (120+ bottles). it gets dark very early you see and if you want to settle in with a book in front of the fire... then dinner, then after dinner games, etc. let's just say pre-dinner drinks started at about 2 pm - an hour or so after lunch cleanup.

plus there was plenty of whisky, etc. (I didn't drink my share of the whisky alas although I did learn about the good ones!)

It has been a while since we talked food. All this darn ariplane stuff getting the way :goofy:. So I thought I would resurect the thread.

Todays topic, crockpot cooking.

Right now I have my favorite slow cooker item cooking away, baked tamale pie.

In a skillet brown 1lb of ground sirloin and oinoins unitl cooked and stir in a buch of chile powder. Transfer to the slow cooker and add black olives, corn, and a can of diced tomatoes. In a mixing bowl take a cup of ground cornmeal, 1 egg, and 1 1/4 cup of milk combine and ad a teaspoon of cumin.

Pour on top of the items in the slow cooker and heat on high for 4-5 hours. Add cheese at the end if so desired. Yummy!!

smigaldi said:
It has been a while since we talked food.

I was doing very well on South Beach...then Thanksgiving...which actually that one day didn't do much harm...it was the leftovers that were the killer...having Karen's home made apple and pumpkin pies in the house are a very bad thing when you are trying to eat right...I did have several servings of stuffing over the course of 4 days as well. I know gained back at least 7 or 8 pounds by the end of the weekend. We have reverted back to Phase I for a few days.

Len

Len Lanetti said:
I was doing very well on South Beach...then Thanksgiving...which actually that one day didn't do much harm...it was the leftovers that were the killer...having Karen's home made apple and pumpkin pies in the house are a very bad thing when you are trying to eat right...I did have several servings of stuffing over the course of 4 days as well. I know gained back at least 7 or 8 pounds by the end of the weekend. We have reverted back to Phase I for a few days.

Len

A friend in town, travelling, and crappy weather derailed eating right and excercising.

Made Creole Fried Chicken, Pulled Pork, Turkey, Biscuits and Gravy, and so on for a week straight... +6#, and it took me an extra 4 minutes to complete my 13 mile training loop today. Now I'm travelling the rest of the week... lots of hotel excerise rooms :(

Cheers,

-Andrew

smigaldi said:
Has anyone had that 'sipping chocolate' from Starbucks??? OH MY GOD! it is like drinking warm chocolate syrup. One shot and you will be choco-loaded for days!

Is that the stuff they call "Chantico?"
I had them make me a large cup with half that, half regular coffee last weekend -- ultimate mocha cuppa. YUMMMMM!
Elizabeth

I had Taco Soup broght in by one of my fellow dispatchers today.

She made a veggie stock from the veggies she stuffed her turkey with, then added carrots, onion, corn, olives, tomatoes, chayote squash and a bit of garlic. top with shredded cheese and sour cream with some Chipolte tabasco sauce. yummy, yummy.

Dinner tonight will be a beef roast in a Marsala, cranberry and portabella sauce, with boiled yukon taters and homemade hot and sour pumpkin soup (homegrown pumpkin) and a simple green salad of spinach and savoy cabbage.

Oh yeah, and wine.

Back