Follow the magenta line....

I've followed the magenta line to myrtle beach several times

Last edited:
I've been GPS directed to an offramp on the freeway, and then RIGHT back on on the onramp!

That’s happened to me before as well. There was this one ramp in Chicago where my Garmin always tried to get me to go off and back on the interstate. It fooled me the first time but I learned and each successive time, I just shook my head.

I’m glad the article mentioned that no one was injured. Did ANYONE really think that there might have been injuries?

I've been GPS directed to an offramp on the freeway, and then RIGHT back on on the onramp!

My wife thinks it is funny because I will argue with Matilda on some of the directions. And yes, she will try to get us to leave the interstate and then get back on, but only when going to Albuquerque, not coming back.

(Matilda is the woman that lives in my GPS)

My wife thinks it is funny because I will argue with Matilda on some of the directions. And yes, she will try to get us to leave the interstate and then get back on, but only when going to Albuquerque, not coming back.

I tell my wife that the GPS should have an Asian voice since it misleads me so much. She doesn’t see the humor in that.

B*'n Betty has been steering me wrong since the Apollo IImorow days. You want to really get frustrated, try using GPS from ground level in Manhattan.

B*'n Betty has been steering me wrong since the Apollo IImorow days. You want to really get frustrated, try using GPS from ground level in Manhattan.

Or in West Virginia. One of my wife's cousins tried to tell someone how to get to where they were, the city feller insisted he didn't need directions, he had GPS. Sure enough, he showed up after a while, right there on the other bank of the river. It was only 15 crooked miles, mostly paved, back into town to a bridge, then 15 crooked miles back. Took him an hour . . . .

My parents nicknamed their GPS "Naggie".

Differences in mapping software:
Apple Maps: Elegant, beautiful maps. You'll arrive at your destination in 27 minutes.
Google Maps: Functional maps, straightforward directions. You'll arrive at your destination in 22 minutes.
Waze: Let's drive through Bob's living room. You'll arrive at your destination in 17 minutes.

Differences in mapping software:
Apple Maps: Elegant, beautiful maps. You'll arrive at your destination in 27 minutes.
Google Maps: Functional maps, straightforward directions. You'll arrive at your destination in 22 minutes.
Waze: Let's drive through Bob's living room. You'll arrive at your destination in 17 minutes.
Audi MMI Maps: "You vill drive on the road for two hundred miles und you vill like it!"

Rather than always following the magnets line,I like to deviate,to get the GPS to constantly re computing the route. Especially if I know where I’m going.

Fun story about right where he's stuck: the pavement just ends in sand, as he's beautifully illustrated... But the thing is, the sand gets blown back onto the pavement for some distance, so you end up with pavement that's hidden under some depth of sand for the first 20 yards or so going onto the beach.

My family was driving up the beach one day, me in my f350, my dad in his proven beach rig (up till that day) Isuzu Trooper. I go first and look back to see my dad stuck right about where that tractor trailer was stuck. Turn my truck around, park near the dunes and run over to push. I get in the standard stance for pushing a stuck truck (one leg back, shoulder against truck, strain real hard) and tell my dad go... As I dig in to push, my big toenail finds the pavement buried under the sand, rips it off ("roots" and all) and simultaneously packs it full of sand.

I learned that day that torture probably doesn't work. If a guy had me strapped to a chair and ripped my toenail out and then packed it with sand... I would have made up whatever he wanted to hear. Anything. Not necessarily anything truthful, just anything at all to keep my other 9 toenails attached.

Oh, and in this case, the GPS was probably spot on... Any address north of where he's sitting is accessible only by sand. Driver and/or dispatcher botched that one.

TomTom use to send drivers over this lovely "road" as the fastest route between NY30 in Delaware County and NY17 in Sullivan County:

tom1.jpg

tom2.jpg

To their credit, they did change it when I sent them the pictures.

Rich

TomTom use to send drivers over this lovely "road" as the fastest route between NY30 in Delaware County and NY17 in Sullivan County:

I see nothing wrong with that road! (Says the rural dweller...) :)

Wimps... :)

That's like google routing you through a u-turn. Drive 3.4 miles and make a left turn. SMH... look at map. It's a freaking U turn I could have done in 20 yards.

Interesting. I wonder if anyone has tried testing self-driving cars in Manhattan. :eek2:

Interesting. I wonder if anyone has tried testing self-driving cars in Manhattan. :eek2:

Was using Google Maps on my iPhone for walking directions in Midtown. It kept rerouting and hanging up so much, it was unusable.

TopTom was the absolute worst GPS I have ever seen or used. We had one in Germany in our rental car. Driving through Berlin... we thought we had a couple of miles to our next turn when the GPS suddenly and urgently insisted that we turn right at the next intersection (about 20 feet away). Then there were a couple more turns... putting us right back on the same road, a couple of blocks back. No earthly reason for it. It tried that maneuver again, but I had wised up by then and ignored the detour.

An hour later we were on the Autobahn, and TomTom insisted we were about a mile off the road, in a forest. Someone later told me they had moved that stretch of road a mile or so over, several years before.

Our advice after that to friends asking about a GPS was, "TomTom sucksucks."

TopTom was the absolute worst GPS I have ever seen or used. We had one in Germany in our rental car. Driving through Berlin... we thought we had a couple of miles to our next turn when the GPS suddenly and urgently insisted that we turn right at the next intersection (about 20 feet away). Then there were a couple more turns... putting us right back on the same road, a couple of blocks back. No earthly reason for it. It tried that maneuver again, but I had wised up by then and ignored the detour.

An hour later we were on the Autobahn, and TomTom insisted we were about a mile off the road, in a forest. Someone later told me they had moved that stretch of road a mile or so over, several years before.

Our advice after that to friends asking about a GPS was, "TomTom sucksucks."

It's gotten better over the past few years. The only thing I don't like is that they don't do basemap patches. You have to download the whole basemap whenever there's an update, at least on the Android version. I'm not sure about the freestanding one.

Rich

That's like google routing you through a u-turn. Drive 3.4 miles and make a left turn. SMH... look at map. It's a freaking U turn I could have done in 20 yards.

Make a U-turn in 3.4 miles, then drive 3.5 miles to your destination on the right......:rolleyes:o_O:lol:

I've been on that road!

tom1.jpg

tom2.jpg

To their credit, they did change it when I sent them the pictures.

Rich

Back