FMS Based Checklists?

455 Bravo Uniform

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
455 Bravo Uniform
I use ForeFlight to make sure I haven’t missed anything on my walk around preflight check.

I revert to my laminated paper in the cabin from pre-startup through shutdown and securing.

Now that I am about to have an IFD540, I’m wondering the best use of an FMS based checklist. What do some of you do?

As a side comment:
I love paper. But I’ve caught myself going by memory on pre-landing (simple 182, no carb heat) sometimes without grabbing the checklist...and scold myself afterwards. Not sure the FMS based list would be any better and maybe worse (heck, if I don’t grab the paper, what makes me think I’ll use the FMS...but maybe it’s easier).

I always use the checklist on the MFD of the Cirrus. We have a backup paper checklist in the glove box.

I've fooled around with the list capability on my Dynon. More for something to play with. I don't really use them.

Might give them another shot.

I'm old school; still use a laminated checklist. I've rearranged the order of things from the Piper original (except the emergency procedures) to conform with my personal flow sequence.

Do things in the same logical sequence every time and you won't have any problem with those pre-landing checks.

I'm biased. When it comes to checklists I prefer paper (though I do have excellent tablet and phone - not FMS - based checklists as backup and when teaching or simply being a passenger).

OTOH, I have flown with pilots who have been properly trained in the use of onboard checklists, particularly in the Cirrus, and have been impressed with their smooth flow/check process.

The nice thing about my Dynon is that I can write my checklists on my PC, and then upload them to the EFIS to match the POH and laminated checklist sheet that I wrote in MS-Word.

But that's E-AB talk... certificated mileage will vary.

The nice thing about my Dynon is that I can write my checklists on my PC, and then upload them to the EFIS to match the POH and laminated checklist sheet that I wrote in MS-Word.

But that's E-AB talk... certificated mileage will vary.
You can even do that in the Garmin G1000.

I always use the checklist on the MFD of the Cirrus. We have a backup paper checklist in the glove box.

I'm biased. When it comes to checklists I prefer paper (though I do have excellent tablet and phone - not FMS - based checklists as backup and when teaching or simply being a passenger).

OTOH, I have flown with pilots who have been properly trained in the use of onboard checklists, particularly in the Cirrus, and have been impressed with their smooth flow/check process.

I love the MFD checklists in the Cirrus Perspective. It's all right there, and check them off as you do them. Paper is ok, but more of a distraction for me now.

I love the MFD checklists in the Cirrus Perspective. It's all right there, and check them off as you do them. Paper is ok, but more of a distraction for me now.
I don't doubt it. That's why the "OTOH."

Checklist use and preferences is personalized. Without intentionally getting used to them by training, I would be far more distracted by the need to look at the MFD and physically check things off than by holding an 8.5 X 5.5 sheet of paper at eye level while continuing to look out the window or at the primary flight instruments and reciting a few items and "done" or "oh, missed that one."

I don't doubt it. That's why the "OTOH."

Checklist use and preferences is personalized. Without intentionally getting used to them by training, I would be far more distracted by the need to look at the MFD and physically check things off than by holding an 8.5 X 5.5 sheet of paper at eye level while continuing to look out the window or at the primary flight instruments and reciting a few items and "done" or "oh, missed that one."

Yeah, it took a little while to become proficient in using them, but once over the learning curve, it's a breeze. They are at "eye level" for all intents and purposes and you have to look at any checklist, so I don't think the MFD detracts from looking outside any more than looking at a paper list. Plus, the MFD is always where you left it. ;>)

Back