FlyteNow Sues FAA (Uber for pilots)

Actual judgement of the individual is not the issue though, it is the expected judgement of the class that comes with the education they have received and tested for. The average consumer cannot be expected to be able to make an informed judgement as to their safety, there is no evidence they have received the appropriate education. A rated pilot OTOH has been tested on the subject matter a minimum of three times and found to have the required capacity that would count to provide 'informed consent' when climbing into a plane they are rated to fly.
If that were true, then we wouldn't need Parts 119, 121 or 135, but the record proved otherwise sufficiently to move the Federal government to write legislation on these matters and create those Parts of the regulations.

This would be a true statement regardless this subject.
Then why bother taking it to the courts? Why not just do it and then argue that the court lacks the rationality to hear your case? Point is, the alternative is anarchy, and that's not on offer today.

Calling the payment "cost sharing" rather than a "fare" doesn't change anything. Money paid to the pilot in return for air transportation is still "compensation" even if you only pay your pro rata share of the expenses.
Maybe that's what it says to you but I am not so sure that cost-sharing is "compensation".

If that were true, then we wouldn't need Parts 119, 121 or 135, but the record proved otherwise sufficiently to move the Federal government to write legislation on these matters and create those Parts of the regulations.
Maybe we don't need those. You assume all laws are just and reasonable. Not so Bro.

You're all confusing your (reasonable) worldviews about how things should work and the way that they currently do. You have methods (legislation, lawsuit, armed revolution) to change things from the way they are to the way you think they should be. But don't think that your desire to change reality affects the current reality.

In other words, Ron's right. The FAA is the regulator of airspace. There are limits on how they regulate that airspace, but those limits are basically requiring public notification (except in emergencies) before the fact, and lawsuits and congressional legislation after the fact. Otherwise, their word is law.

If the FAA wanted to publish an emergency final rule requiring pilots to be male exclusively, they could do so, and from the moment that rule was published until it was overturned in court (after a lawsuit), by executive action of the President, or by legislation, that law would stand.

Yep. But really, the FAA isn't that big on rule making lately. For the last decade plus the FAA has slowly been disengaging from GA. Pt 103 started it all, and all in all didn't really do too bad at self regulating. There were some opportunities for abuse by the stupid with the 2 seat ultralights hauling in effect rides for hire under the auspices of a "demonstration for sale" or "training" (no qualifications required) flights. This in and of itself wouldn't have been bad, because it was not a complete lie, however there were enough instances of unqualified operators killing people who lacked the ability to judge their pilot or contribute to their safety. That's when the FAA decided that they can kill two birds with one stone. They could fulfill some of their JAA/FAA/EASA standardization goals, and reign in the people taking advantage of exceptions in Pt 103 by adopting LSA/SP rules. Notice the FAA has absolute minimal involvement in LSA/SP. So far it's worked out pretty well. The SP ranks haven't shown a greater rate of stupidity based accidents than Pt 91 compliant.

The problem with a bureaucracy taking on a responsibility, getting rid of it becomes nearly impossible, even when nobody wants to fund the requirements to deal with it. This is actually the FAA's opportunity to shed the responsibility nobody wants to fund.

Maybe that's what it says to you but I am not so sure that cost-sharing is "compensation".
I am sure, and so are both the FAA and the Federal courts -- just ask them. The fundamental definition of that term is "something of value given in exchange for something else," in this case, money in return for air transportation. If that were not so, there would be no need for 61.113(c) since 61.113(a) prohibits only "compensation", not "cost sharing". In any event, the regulations involved do not use the term "cost sharing", so it really doesn't matter.

Maybe we don't need those.
See you at the next Buddy Holly concert -- no doubt Richie Valens and The Big Bopper will open the show.

I am sure, and so are both the FAA and the Federal courts -- just ask them. The fundamental definition of that term is "something of value given in exchange for something else," in this case, money in return for air transportation. If that were not so, there would be no need for 61.113(c) since 61.113(a) prohibits only "compensation", not "cost sharing". In any event, the regulations involved do not use the term "cost sharing", so it really doesn't matter.
As I have said to others, we'll see how the court case goes. I'm not convinced one way or another.

I realize you will not take my word ofr it, but for others, cost sharing is allowable compensation. It is the exception tot he rule that a PPL may not take compensation for a flight. It's in the CFRs. Ron has already quoted it numerous times.

§ 61.113 Private pilot privileges and limitations: Pilot in command. (a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b) through (h) of this section, no person who holds a private pilot certificate may act as pilot in command of an aircraft that is carrying passengers or property for compensation or hire; nor may that person, for compensation or hire, act as pilot in command of an aircraft.
(b) A private pilot may, for compensation or hire, act as pilot in command of an aircraft in connection with any business or employment if:
(1) The flight is only incidental to that business or employment; and
(2) The aircraft does not carry passengers or property for compensation or hire.
(c) A private pilot may not pay less than the pro rata share of the operating expenses of a flight with passengers, provided the expenses involve only fuel, oil, airport expenditures, or rental fees.
(d) A private pilot may act as pilot in command of a charitable, nonprofit, or community event flight described in § 91.146, if the sponsor and pilot comply with the requirements of § 91.146.
(e) A private pilot may be reimbursed for aircraft operating expenses that are directly related to search and location operations, provided the expenses involve only fuel, oil, airport expenditures, or rental fees, and the operation is sanctioned and under the direction and control of:
(1) A local, State, or Federal agency; or
(2) An organization that conducts search and location operations.
(f) A private pilot who is an aircraft salesman and who has at least 200 hours of logged flight time may demonstrate an aircraft in flight to a prospective buyer.
(g) A private pilot who meets the requirements of § 61.69 may act as a pilot in command of an aircraft towing a glider or unpowered ultralight vehicle.
(h) A private pilot may act as pilot in command for the purpose of conducting a production flight test in a light-sport aircraft intended for certification in the light-sport category under § 21.190 of this chapter, provided that—
(1) The aircraft is a powered parachute or a weight-shift-control aircraft;
(2) The person has at least 100 hours of pilot-in-command time in the category and class of aircraft flown; and
(3) The person is familiar with the processes and procedures applicable to the conduct of production flight testing, to include operations conducted under a special flight permit and any associated operating limitations.
[Doc. No. 25910, 62 FR 16298, Apr. 4, 1997, as amended by Amdt. 61-110, 69 FR 44869, July 27, 2004; Amdt. 61-115, 72 FR 6910, Feb. 13, 2007; Amdt. 61-125, 75 FR 5220, Feb. 1, 2010]

Maybe we don't need those. You assume all laws are just and reasonable. Not so Bro.

Well, we do need those, at least the insurance industry does. You have to understand that Aircarrier Operations are Strict Liability, so the insurance industry needs some third party agent to assure the standards their actuaries are making their calculations from are being adhered to. In the maritime world there are Class Societies that survey for the standards with the help of Port State Control. Lloyd's Register was the first such organization.

In Aviation this function is left strictly to Port State Control, in the US, that is the FAA. Pt 121 and Pt 135 establish the assumptions the actuaries use in setting their insurance premiums. That is why we need them. GA is not Strict Liability, and the payout is typically limited to $1MM. The costs of these regulations aren't warranted in comparison to the risk for Pt 91.

I realize you will not take my word ofr it, but for others, cost sharing is allowable compensation. It is the exception tot he rule that a PPL may not take compensation for a flight. It's in the CFRs. Ron has already quoted it numerous times.
As I told Ron. We'll see how it all shakes out. I'm not convinced one way or another.

That one is truly on point for this discussion -- new private pilot in his privately owned aircraft hauling friends who were ill-equipped to judge the risks, although I can find no record of who was paying whom for what. But it is the sort of accident which makes the FAA generally opposed to letting PP's take money from passengers, and like the Buddy Holly accident, ii involved VFR into IMC.

As I told Ron. We'll see how it all shakes out. I'm not convinced one way or another.
I want to make sure I understand you -- you're saying you think money paid to a pilot by a passenger in return for air transportation is not "compensation" as the law defines that term if it's only a pro rata share of the direct expense of the flight?

I want to make sure I understand you -- you're saying you think money paid to a pilot by a passenger in return for air transportation is not "compensation" as the law defines that term if it's only a pro rata share of the direct expense of the flight?
If you read the post you quoted you'll see that I said that I'm not convinced one way or another.

If you read the post you quoted you'll see that I said that I'm not convinced one way or another.
Well, can you at least point to something in the regulations, legal interpretations, or case law which you think leads you to believe it might be true? Or is this just wishful thinking on your part?

Well, can you at least point to something in the regulations, legal interpretations, or case law which you think leads you to believe it might be true? Or is this just wishful thinking on your part?
I wouldn't say it's wishful thinking because it doesn't affect me, but I don't necessarily interpret the reg you and David quoted the same way. My mind is open to both sides.

That one is truly on point for this discussion -- new private pilot in his privately owned aircraft hauling friends who were ill-equipped to judge the risks, although I can find no record of who was paying whom for what. But it is the sort of accident which makes the FAA generally opposed to letting PP's take money from passengers, and like the Buddy Holly accident, ii involved VFR into IMC.

Yup, I was going to write the same thing. I"m all for restricting PPL holders to some form of cost sharing, which was not the case in either the day the music died or the Patsy Cline but these two events are the index cases for where we are now.

I wouldn't say it's wishful thinking because it doesn't affect me, but I don't necessarily interpret the reg you and David quoted the same way. My mind is open to both sides.
I guess the point is that the term "cost sharing" isn't in the regs at all. The only term they use is "compensation", and the so-called "cost sharing" paragraph exists only as a specific exception to the prohibition on receipt of compensation. So, if what you call "cost sharing" wasn't "compensation", there'd be no need to exempt it from that prohibition. What I'm trying to understand is your basis (some legal definition, regulation, interpretation, court case, whatever) for thinking there's any doubt at all that money paid to a pilot by passengers in return for a ride in that pilot's airplane can ever be considered anything but "compensation" to the pilot in return for providing air transportation.

I guess the point is that the term "cost sharing" isn't in the regs at all. The only term they use is "compensation", and the so-called "cost sharing" paragraph exists only as a specific exception to the prohibition on receipt of compensation. So, if what you call "cost sharing" wasn't "compensation", there'd be no need to exempt it from that prohibition. What I'm trying to understand is your basis (some legal definition, regulation, interpretation, court case, whatever) for thinking there's any doubt at all that money paid to a pilot by passengers in return for a ride in that pilot's airplane can ever be considered anything but "compensation" to the pilot in return for providing air transportation.
Try page 21 of the document in the original post.

In the end it doesn't matter what you think or what I think. I am willing to have an open mind on this subject and I think it could go either way. As I have stated repeatedly.

May not be worth much and doesn't really answer the questions raised in the suit but I think it's pretty clear from the language of 61.113 itself that a share of the cost is "compensation."

==============================
(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b) through (h) of this section, no person who holds a private pilot certificate may act as pilot in command of an aircraft that is carrying passengers or property for compensation or hire...

(c) A private pilot may not pay less than the pro rata share of the operating expenses of a flight with passengers, provided the expenses involve only fuel, oil, airport expenditures, or rental fees.

If the pro rata share were not a form of compensation, it would not be identified as an exception to the "no compensation" rule. Same for all the other permissible compensation - reimbursement for incidental business costs, 91.146 charitable flights, reimbursement of search and rescue costs, etc.

I'm trying to think offhand of a situation (even outside of aviation) in which partial payment isn't considered to be "compensation" of any type. Maybe someone can come up with one?

May not be worth much and doesn't really answer the questions raised in the suit but I think it's pretty clear from the language of 61.113 itself that a share of the cost is "compensation."

(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b) through (h) of this section, no person who holds a private pilot certificate may act as pilot in command of an aircraft that is carrying passengers or property for compensation or hire...

If the pro rata share were not a form of compensation, it would not be identified as an exception to the "no compensation" rule. Same for all the other permissible compensation - reimbursement for incidental business costs, 91.146 charitable flights, reimbursement of search and rescue costs, etc.

I'm trying to think offhand of a situation (even outside of aviation) in which partial payment isn't considered to be "compensation" of any type. Maybe someone can come up with one?

I think that pro-rata cost-sharing is compensation.

If we go out to dinner and split the bill is one person compensating the other? Or are you just sharing the cost of the dinner?

If we go out to dinner and split the bill is one person compensating the other? Or are we just sharing the cost of the dinner?

If we go out to dinner and split the bill is one person compensating the other? Or are you just sharing the cost of the dinner?

If we go out to dinner and split the bill is one person compensating the other? Or are we just sharing the cost of the dinner?

You can say that again!!

Here, even in the FlyteNow brief, FlyteNow says it's compensation:

Among the listed exceptions, the Expense-Sharing Rule, states, “[a] private pilot may not pay less than the pro rata share of the operating expenses of a flight with passengers, provided the expenses involve only fuel, oil, airport expenditures, or rental fees.” 14 C.F.R. § 61.113(c). “Based on this provision, a pilot may accept compensation in the form of a pro rata share of operating expenses for a flight from his or her passengers.”

But think carefully about your dinner example. The example should be:

I make dinner for you and you pay me half the cost. Are we cost-sharing or did you compensate me?

Try page 21 of the document in the original post.
I see repeated use of the term "expense-sharing" by the plaintiff's attorney in that brief, but not in any regulatory, FAA interpretation, or case law reference. All I see is plaintiff's contention that:
The [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]MacPherson-Winton [/FONT][/FONT]Interpretation contradicts the plain language of 14 C.F.R. § 61.113(c), which expressly exempts a pilot’s receipt of a pro rata share of flight operating expenses from the definition of compensation.
...which is not accurate. Let my quote the "plain language" of 61.113(c) in its entirety:
I see nothing in that paragraph which "expressly exempts a pilot’s receipt of a pro rata share of flight operating expenses from the definition of compensation". Or can you point out some part of that paragraph which you think does that expressly?

That depends entirely on the circumstances (before and/or after dinner) and the attributes of those sharing the dinner. :D If Suzy Staxxx and I go to dinner and she pays her share then I'm prolly compensated...YMWV

Yup. Pilots are stuck on the notion of how the FAA redefined 'compensation.' Don't accept that frame folks.

I make dinner for you and you pay me half the cost. Are we cost-sharing or did you compensate me?
I think it could go either way, with the dinner and also the ruling we are talking about.

The situation is not analogous. A closer analogy would be if I invite you to dinner at my house, but only if you pay for the food you eat. If I make that an open offer to anyone on the internet, and the local health people hear about it, they will be around looking for my restaurant license.

That depends entirely on the circumstances (before and/or after dinner) and the attributes of those sharing the dinner. :D If Suzy Staxxx and I go to dinner and she pays her share then I'm prolly compensated...YMWV
If I go out to dinner with Suzy Staxxx then I probably won't feel as compensated as some others of you here. Even if she pays her share. :D

The situation is not analogous. A closer analogy would be if I invite you to dinner at my house, but only if you pay for the food you eat. If I make that an open offer to anyone on the internet, and the local health people hear about it, they will be around looking for my restaurant license.
But if I offer to pay you for the ingredients, or better yet, bring an expensive bottle of wine, the heath people wouldn't care at all.

If I go out to dinner with Suzy Staxxx then I probably won't feel as compensated as some others of you here. Even if she pays her share. :D

You could always try out batting for the other team...:goofy::D

Does PoA have a "Get a Room" forum? :D

Wouldn't that be www.mealsharing.com

I'm not aware of any local health people caring. Though I'm sure there are some somewhere.

The thing is the whole concept of a sharing society, enabled by apps & other technology is a disruptive technology, and it scares the big government/rules mavens be it cars, rooms, food, or plane rides. I don't know where this specific case ends but I'm glad it's happening and I wish them luck.

Back