Flying XC without an iPad

When I first saw the title of the thread, I thought someone was asking whether it was allowed to fly without an iPad.

Some day, that might be a real question!

Does anyone ever use binoculars while flying? I think I'm going to bring mine next time and read some signs.

Short version on my last solo x-country before getting my private license I ended up getting lost and tried the reading signs trick what I learned was that from 500 feet AGL it is nearly impossible to ready most road signs. The only thing I was able to ready was one sign at the edge of town had one readable word "Halfway"that was helpful:(

Actually it did turn out helpful after about 15 minutes of consulting the map I found a town called Halfway and finally figured out where I was.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Does anyone ever use binoculars while flying? I think I'm going to bring mine next time and read some signs.

Don't bring big ones, it becomes too difficult to get a bead on what you want. Easier to just drop down low so you can read the street signs.

How many sectionals and A/FD's did you need? And how many of them were current? :)

Well, at least you had a life sized moving map display, I think it's called "Earth". Old people used to navigate with it, I found that the technology is dated and lacks some features, works in a pinch though.
reminds me:

…In that Empire, the Art of Cartography attained such Perfection that the map of a single Province occupied the entirety of a City, and the map of the Empire, the entirety of a Province. In time, those Unconscionable Maps no longer satisfied, and the Cartographers Guilds struck a Map of the Empire whose size was that of the Empire, and which coincided point for point with it.

My CFI at first seemed rather dubious that when she asked if I had a current FAR/AIM, I produced my iPad and said "sure I have an app for that!" She feels I need an actual paper version, which I'm not specifically against, but when she asked me something obscure about the regs, and I just typed it into the search block in the app...well, I'm not sure if she was pleased or not. I just got the feeling that she's distrustful of technology, which generally is not a bad thing, but it's easy to slide from general distrust to downright antipathy. It was rather like she felt that the "big book" was the only legitimate version and my iPad version was something analogous to Wikipedia or something (note that I, for one, love Wikipedia, but understand its limitations).

My CFI at first seemed rather dubious that when she asked if I had a current FAR/AIM, I produced my iPad and said "sure I have an app for that!" She feels I need an actual paper version, which I'm not specifically against, but when she asked me something obscure about the regs, and I just typed it into the search block in the app...well, I'm not sure if she was pleased or not. I just got the feeling that she's distrustful of technology, which generally is not a bad thing, but it's easy to slide from general distrust to downright antipathy. It was rather like she felt that the "big book" was the only legitimate version and my iPad version was something analogous to Wikipedia or something (note that I, for one, love Wikipedia, but understand its limitations).

I just won a copy last night in a spin / stall awareness class. It is so much nicer than the FAA version I bought last year during my training. This one has a font size I can actually read. Yay FAR/AIM and yay for me having a current paper copy. My AFD, sectional, and TAC just ran out of currency so I might buy one this weekend if the new flight school I'm going to sells one.

I understand your issue. I love technology that's simple and works. I think it's funny when someone asks what if the battery runs down. I could let it run down just like I could run out of gas if I wanted to.

That's cheatin' :D The idea is to get your head out of tiny screens and into the big beautiful landscape in front of you.
I guess I don't get it. Why is looking at a sectional on an iPad a deterent compared to paper. To me dealing with the paper is more of a pain. The sectional on my iPad scrolls along for me and I can zoom it in as needed to read details that I can't do on a paper sectional. I suppose for you young guys that's not a big deal but when you cross that 50 mark, your near vision declines and it is really nice to be able to zoom in on a sectional. My iPad is on a yoke mount in front of me. No muss, no fuss. I keep a couple of sectionals in the glove box along with an airport directory book but I haven't touched them in over a year. I know it is good to practice your dead reconing skills periodically, but otherwise I love flying with my iPad. I actually feel like I can devote more of my time out of the cockpit since I'm not having to fumble with paper charts and airport directories. I view my iPad as just an extension of the other instruments in my plane. I'm glad you guys enjoy flying with your paper but I think I'll stick to my pad.

I guess I don't get it. Why is looking at a sectional on an iPad a deterent compared to paper. To me dealing with the paper is more of a pain. The sectional on my iPad scrolls along for me and I can zoom it in as needed to read details that I can't do on a paper sectional. I suppose for you young guys that's not a big deal but when you cross that 50 mark, your near vision declines and it is really nice to be able to zoom in on a sectional. My iPad is on a yoke mount in front of me. No muss, no fuss. I keep a couple of sectionals in the glove box along with an airport directory book but I haven't touched them in over a year. I know it is good to practice your dead reconing skills periodically, but otherwise I love flying with my iPad. I actually feel like I can devote more of my time out of the cockpit since I'm not having to fumble with paper charts and airport directories. I view my iPad as just an extension of the other instruments in my plane. I'm glad you guys enjoy flying with your paper but I think I'll stick to my pad.

Well, old timer, I passed 50 myself quite some time ago. Don't take me too seriously on the cheatin' thing. This whole thread is tongue-in-cheek. That said, I try to keep the computer screens in the cockpit to a minimum. None is a nice minimum for me. Talking VFR, not IFR. Other folks are different, but for me, screens demand attention so I leave them at home. If it is different for you, cool.

Well, old timer, I passed 50 myself quite some time ago. Don't take me too seriously on the cheatin' thing. This whole thread is tongue-in-cheek.
That's pretty much what I figured.

I use computers extensively in my job and they are second nature for me. I can easily see where they could be a deterent or even frustrating for some that don't use computers a lot.

I love sight seeing out of my plane and try to maximize time for it. That is one of the reasons I prefer flying over driving. Once I get to altitude and get my plane trimmed out, I can sit back and enjoy the scenery instead of worrying about all the inconsiderate or ignorant drivers you have to deal with on the road. I think it is great guys like to practice flying with only a sectional, but for me, fumbling with the paper is agrevating.

That's pretty much what I figured.

I use computers extensively in my job and they are second nature for me. I can easily see where they could be a deterent or even frustrating for some that don't use computers a lot.

I love sight seeing out of my plane and try to maximize time for it. That is one of the reasons I prefer flying over driving. Once I get to altitude and get my plane trimmed out, I can sit back and enjoy the scenery instead of worrying about all the inconsiderate or ignorant drivers you have to deal with on the road. I think it is great guys like to practice flying with only a sectional, but for me, fumbling with the paper is agrevating.

Laff, I guess the fact that I've been building the computers for resale since the late 80's and used to build and manage a Novell 3.12 network doesn't count for much. Or that I still repair laptops for a sideline and have 6k transactions on eBay mostly selling computers. Or that I take my own iPhone apart and repair it. Along with just about anything else computer-related.

Gotta watch that ass-u-me thing :D

But like I said, I find them distracting in the cockpit and would rather not have them there VFR. I also like pilotage more than computerage.

Gotta watch that ass-u-me thing :D
I also like pilotage more than computerage.
Sorry if I came across lumping you into the non-computer users group. Didn't mean to do that. I just know there are a lot of people that are not comfortable with computers and related technology. I think you and I would have a lot in common though. Sounds like you get into them pretty deep.

Sorry if I came across lumping you into the non-computer users group. Didn't mean to do that. I just know there are a lot of people that are not comfortable with computers and related technology. I think you and I would have a lot in common though. Sounds like you get into them pretty deep.

No worries, as they say :D

It's kinda funny, if it wasn't for airspace, I wouldn't need a chart to cross the country anymore. I've done it enough in cars, trucks, motorcycles, rail car (Sperry Rail 1985-1987; at 13mph) and planes ever since I was a little kid and we set off on the marathon summer road trip grand tour for 3 months in the family station wagon. I pretty much can look out the window and know where I need to go, I know what rail lines run through what cities as well as pipelines and highways. I know I need to head NW, I plan a route for weather and Know I pick up some form of feeder line into where I need to go. I just save a hell of a lot of fuel and have a lot better situational awareness for airspace with the G-500 & 430W and MLOD.;)

Last edited:
It's kinda funny, if it wasn't for airspace, I wouldn't need a chart to cross the country anymore. I've done it enough in cars, trucks, motorcycles, rail car (Sperry Rail 1985-1987; at 13mph) and planes ever since I was a little kid and we set off on the marathon summer road trip grand tour for 3 months in the family station wagon. I pretty much can look out the window and know where I need to go, I know what rail lines run through what cities as well as pipelines and highways. I know I need to head NW, I plan a route for weather and Know I pick up some form of feeder line into where I need to go. I just save a hell of a lot of fuel and have a lot better situational awareness for airspace with the G-500 & 430W.;)

I agree. When I flight plan for VFR I look for the landmarks that will keep me out of B/C airspace. Ex, KTMB, head west past Krome Ave, fly north to the bend and then to the I-75 toll plaza, etc., etc. For me, that is a lot more interesting than looking at a magenta line on a tiny screen (or even a slightly larger one).

It's kinda funny, if it wasn't for airspace, I wouldn't need a chart to cross the country anymore. I've done it enough in cars, trucks, motorcycles, rail car (Sperry Rail 1985-1987; at 13mph) and planes ever since I was a little kid and we set off on the marathon summer road trip grand tour for 3 months in the family station wagon. I pretty much can look out the window and know where I need to go, I know what rail lines run through what cities as well as pipelines and highways. I know I need to head NW, I plan a route for weather and Know I pick up some form of feeder line into where I need to go. I just save a hell of a lot of fuel and have a lot better situational awareness for airspace with the G-500 & 430W and MLOD.;)

This was my argument to my Senator about the airnav fees, give me a 20 year old gazetteer or a 20 year old GPS database and I'm good. It's the regulations buried in the charts that have the value so they're essentially charging us to know the rules. Anyway, he called me back (it's montana, not California and he's up for re-election) agreed and is on the appropriations committee that just slapped aeronav so maybe the argument held some weight.

This was my argument to my Senator about the airnav fees, give me a 20 year old gazetteer or a 20 year old GPS database and I'm good. It's the regulations buried in the charts that have the value so they're essentially charging us to know the rules. Anyway, he called me back (it's montana, not California and he's up for re-election) agreed and is on the appropriations committee that just slapped aeronav so maybe the argument held some weight.

Thank you. Appreciated.

Did you have to let anyone know you were coming?

How did you get permission to land?

You flew the plane......yourself??? :eek:

:D

Hi all,
About two years ago I flew over 300nm in a J3 Cub during the month of April, the windiest time to fly in Texas, to take a checkride for a sport pilot license. I flew without a GPS, ipad, and even a cellphone. I used a sectional, E6B, compass and a watch. Used the airport phone after I landed. Still no internet in many of the rural airports. If they do, it's often dial up.

Max altitude was 500ft. NO landmarks for miles. Knowing I can set this plane down in under 200ft is a safety factor just as good as the feeling of twin engines over water.

I still fly this way. Keeps the brain active and I never get sleepy (sort of like how a long haul truck driver chew on sunflower seeds at night). Amazing how accurate dead reckoning is.

4-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back