Flying XC without an iPad

MSPAviator

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
MSPAviator
Yes, flying a cross country trip is possible without an iPad, even with the terrain whizzing by underneath you at full rental power! :D

535071_434798283200808_100000119195795_1832386_773382283_n.jpg

Yes, flying a cross country trip is possible without an iPad, even with the terrain whizzing by underneath you at full rental power! :D

Rent 'em wet, run 'em fast. Yeah, baby!

Well, maybe that explains how Lindbergh managed to fly all over the US and even across the ocean with a broke IPad.

He didn't even have Nav Charts. In the twenties his favorite maps were railroad maps.

Well, at least you had a life sized moving map display, I think it's called "Earth". Old people used to navigate with it, I found that the technology is dated and lacks some features, works in a pinch though.

Well, at least you had a life sized moving map display, I think it's called "Earth". Old people used to navigate with it, I found that the technology is dated and lacks some features, works in a pinch though.

It even has a zoom feature though the touchscreen leaves prints on the plexiglass. :D

Although funny. I had a conversation with my wife yesterday about taking a trip using strictly pilotage and DR.

Although funny. I had a conversation with my wife yesterday about taking a trip using strictly pilotage and DR.

I do that all the time. I love it. My pilot friends that love their glass do not understand what I "see" in that.

:yeahthat: ... he's also cheating using his finger ... surprised he didn't paint a small blue plane on his index fingernail. Probably didn't file a flight plan either:goofy::lol:

I don't see a magenta line on that sectional, either. :nono: FLUNK!

I flew last night without an iPad. Well, I wasn't the pilot. But still. I had a sectional in my lap and a red headlamp.

Last edited:
If the RPM was any further, it would be in the red. Where is your trusty flight computer for wind correction, and true airspeed. This guy is bananas! Who knew you could fly like this?

Didn't I read somewhere about a macho attitude?

LOL!

535071_434798283200808_100000119195795_1832386_773382283_n.jpg

Hmm, Looks like we might have an FAR violation here...he has the wrong chart in his lap...should have a low altitude IFR chart cuz it sure looks like solid IMC!

Tom

Hey look! Just how I fly all my cross countries! Well, minus the good 'ol 396.

We used to navigate by reading the names of towns and streets off water towers and signs. It worked well enough.

Hey look! Just how I fly all my cross countries! Well, minus the good 'ol 396.

That's cheatin' :D The idea is to get your head out of tiny screens and into the big beautiful landscape in front of you.

We used to navigate by reading the names of towns and streets off water towers and signs. It worked well enough.

No kidding, a Rand McNally truckers atlas works ok and was what was carried in a lot of Ag planes. Many times on a pipeline I'd have to pop over to town to figure out exactly where I was off the tower.

Do they make a RAM mount for charts? ;)

(It's a joke. And actually they do make a clipboard I believe.)

Actually that is a disadvantage in having a stick, with sectionals it's not that bad but I would love to be able to mount an approach plate somewhere.

Actually that is a disadvantage in having a stick, with sectionals it's not that bad but I would love to be able to mount an approach plate somewhere.

That is what is great about side stick, it clears your entire lap.

Oh, that would be simple enough to construct in several different options.

That is what is great about side stick, it clears your entire lap.

Oh yeah I'll take a stick over a yoke any day. It's just that you know how you can mount a plate to the center of the yoke, it's a little hard doing that to a stick.

Coincidentally, and for those that absolutely cannot fly without their iPacifier, the below just showed up in my inbox:

ipad.jpg

Short version on my last solo x-country before getting my private license I ended up getting lost and tried the reading signs trick what I learned was that from 500 feet AGL it is nearly impossible to ready most road signs. The only thing I was able to ready was one sign at the edge of town had one readable word "Halfway"that was helpful:(

Actually it did turn out helpful after about 15 minutes of consulting the map I found a town called Halfway and finally figured out where I was.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Last edited:
Back