Flying with inop alternator

Did the OP get his alternator fixed and fly out of Podunkville ?

Did the OP get his alternator fixed and fly out of Podunkville ?

Yes I did, got home yesterday. 5 nights in a hotel and $250 to ship alternator and regulator via next day air, only to have it arrive 2 days later due to snowstorm at the shipping location. Fun with airplanes!

OTOH I got to know the awesome folks at the FBO at KMEB, and had pretty much a continuous airshow for 3 days from the Golden Knights and US Army Special Operations Command, both of whom practice jumping there. Definitely want to be on the radio in that pattern.

Yes I did, got home yesterday. 5 nights in a hotel and $250 to ship alternator and regulator via next day air, only to have it arrive 2 days later due to snowstorm at the shipping location. Fun with airplanes!
Good to hear it’s done with, anyway. Hope the rest of the trip was enjoyable!

Time to spare... go by air!

OTOH I got to know the awesome folks at the FBO at KMEB, and had pretty much a continuous airshow for 3 days from the Golden Knights and US Army Special Operations Command, both of whom practice jumping there. Definitely want to be on the radio in that pattern.

Glad to hear Ed. one of my concerns going to a Podunk airport is this.. getting stuck. having said that I find myself in more podunk airports than not most of the times

Good to here you got home. So what failed in the alternator and or regulator?

Glad to hear Ed. one of my concerns going to a Podunk airport is this.. getting stuck. having said that I find myself in more podunk airports than not most of the times
Obviously carrying a spare alternator and/or most anything else that can fail isn’t a reasonable answer, but I learned early on to carry a spare tire and tube for my tailwheel. I also told my mechanic that he could use it as his parts stock if somebody needed one, so I got it replaced just about every year.

I’ve also been bailed out a couple of times with oddball stuff at smaller airports...Stuff that I don’t think you’d find laying around in hangars at bigger airports. ;)

Last edited:

In the category of "I learned about flying from that", it is helpful to have a standing relationship with a good A&P/IA who knows you and your plane. If you get into a bind, you can call and get advice, talk through troubleshooting, and perhaps make adequate repairs to get home or to a repair station. "Under supervision" could include phone, text, photos, video, or even Facetime. If doctors can do telemedicine, mechanics can do tele-maintenance! I'm also going to start carrying a basic tool kit with a 1/4" socket set, screwdrivers, multimeter, work light, cotter pins, and wire terminals.

So what failed in the alternator and or regulator?

One or the other. Wound up replacing both. Regulator was not a drop-in replacement, so wound up doing a little creative engineering to get it home.

"Under supervision" could include phone, text, photos, video, or even Facetime. If doctors can do telemedicine, mechanics can do tele-maintenance!
FYI: Not quite, so best to keep that part on the q.t. Especially if your buddy the ASI is poking around.;)

For a very basic tool kit add a roll of .032" safety wire, wire cutters, duckbill pliers, Ford wrench, 8" crescent wrench, 8" vise grip, rags, small roll of Mylar tape, and a cheap multi-tool. Have put togather a few different type fly-away kits for my customers over the years. But having just the basics can go a long way when you have nothing.

One or the other. Wound up replacing both. Regulator was not a drop-in replacement, so wound up doing a little creative engineering to get it home.
What regulator? I installed a Zeftronics regulator maybe 5 years ago and is has preformed great

Back