Flying While Pregnant

Please tell me you’re kidding. What would happen to the baby?
Happen to baby? absolutely nothing. The issue is, She is worried. If all goes well, no problem. If anything goes sideways regardless of the reason, he will hear "I told you we should not have gone flying". Have none of you been married? The husband is always to blame. But whatever, the OP should like he has already made his decision.

if ANYTHING (Heaven forbid) happens to the baby ever YOU WILL BE BLAMED FOREVER.

Happen to baby? absolutely nothing.
You specifically made mention in the above reply that something could happen to the baby. Now you say nothing will happen to the baby. It’s 4500’, a lower altitude than many cities. Nothing will happen to the baby.

Here's how it worked about 60 years ago; pregnant mom would go flying with hubby, and have a good time.
40 years ago; pregnant mom would ask doc if it was ok to ride horse. Doc would say: "If it's something you usually do anyway, go for it."
Only problem is that the offspring will gravitate toward aviation. Now whether that is a problem, or not, is up to the parents.

You specifically made mention in the above reply that something could happen to the baby. Now you say nothing will happen to the baby. It’s 4500’, a lower altitude than many cities. Nothing will happen to the baby.
Are you attempting to say that "nothing" could EVER happen to the baby? Seriously?

Morgan wasn't saying that he thought something would happen to the baby from the flight. He was saying that if ANYTHING ever happened to the baby, he would be blamed.

She probably wouldn't have to use it, but anxiety or a panic attack can cause hyperventilation, in which case oxygen would be good to have. I carry a bottle in my Bo. We have only used it twice when crossing the Rockies, but it is good to have anyway.

You really think that the cure for hyperventilation is more oxygen? Yikes.

Strange how things just pop into your head.
I remember being about 6 years old, and family headed to TX to visit the grandparents.
We departed FTY at zero dark thirty, Dad in the left seat, Mom in right seat, us kids in the back.
Once at cruising altitude, and tuned in to the Tupelo VOR, Dad wanted to have a cup of Joe.
Mom hadn't "burped" the thermos, and when she opened it, :yikes: coffee went everywhere.
Good thing they had 3 kids on board, I think we spent the rest of the trip cleaning coffee out of the carpet.
When your 6 years old, a Stinson V77, has a lot of carpet. ;) Anyway, the carpet was clean and dried by
the time we got to the fuel stop for breakfast.

Are you attempting to say that "nothing" could EVER happen to the baby? Seriously?

Morgan wasn't saying that he thought something would happen to the baby from the flight. He was saying that if ANYTHING ever happened to the baby, he would be blamed.
And I agree with that. I shouldn’t say that nothing will happen to the baby, but I don’t see any impending danger toward the baby from being at 4500’ MSL. Heck, I took my pregnant sister flying and her kid turned out healthy as a lark.

I guess we can create drama out of anything if need be, but this whole thing isn’t a new concept. It’s been done many times in years past.

You really think that the cure for hyperventilation is more oxygen? Yikes.
Read further. Or maybe not, but I retracted that. However, several people said to use a pulse-ox to keep track of O2 saturation. What do you suggest the treatment would be for low O2 blood levels? Oxygen maybe?

Read further. Or maybe not, but I retracted that. However, several people said to use a pulse-ox to keep track of O2 saturation. What do you suggest the treatment would be for low O2 blood levels? Oxygen maybe?

Low oxygen, or hyperventilation? ;) Just because you shoved your foot in your mouth doesn’t mean you need to challenge my knowledge in other areas of pulmonary function, acid/base balance, compensatory mechanisms, or best peanut butter. (Hint: you’ll lose on all fronts. ;))

He was saying that if ANYTHING ever happened to the baby, he would be blamed.
Not if it's her decision. Besides, if they have a relationship as tenuous as that, he would be blamed for anything that ever happens to the baby/child/teenager/young adult, and he he doesn't have a happy future ahead.

Not if it's her decision. Besides, if they have a relationship as tenuous as that, he would be blamed for anything that ever happens to the baby/child/teenager/young adult, and he he doesn't have a happy future ahead.

Exactly, she should be free to decide, just as any of us would make an IMSAFE decision for ourselves.

Low oxygen, or hyperventilation? ;) Just because you shoved your foot in your mouth doesn’t mean you need to challenge my knowledge in other areas of pulmonary function, acid/base balance, compensatory mechanisms, or best peanut butter. (Hint: you’ll lose on all fronts. ;))
Feel better now?

I made an error and I admitted it.
Would you like to rub it in again? I can take it.

And can you please point out where I challenged your knowledge?

Feel better now? I've felt pretty freakin' good all week, thanks.
And can you please point out where I challenged your knowledge? It was this part: "What do you suggest the treatment would be for low O2 blood levels? Oxygen maybe?"

:) Don't have such a chip on your shoulder. Learn to appreciate the ;) and take those as good-natured ribbing.

This is the type of senseless not too bright woman most men would have figured out a few months into dating and would have dumped shortly there after.

If you ended up getting hitched to a woman like that, let alone got her pregnant, you likely won't have a very happy life ahead of you, or for the kid.

I flew with my wife quite a bit while she was pregnant, and I asked a lot of questions of the OB/GYN about it.

Obviously, her blood oxygen saturation (O2sat) is the most important thing, so if either of you is really worried about it, just have her wear a pulse oximeter and make sure it stays above 90%. However, if it goes below 90% at 4,500 feet, that's an indicator that she has something else seriously wrong with her.

The reason they don't recommend women fly on airlines late in pregnancy is so they're not too far from the hospital should the baby pick that particular time frame to begin their final approach. However, she said driving is just as bad because you can end up far from a hospital when you're driving on a long trip as well. So, she said flying GA was actually a great way for us to travel, since we should be able to easily divert and get her to a hospital, likely faster than either the airlines or driving.

So, tell your wife that's what our OB/GYN said, and enjoy the flight! Pretty soon, you'll be having flights more like this:

View attachment 62836 View attachment 62837

Those are great photos.

This is cowmans wife currently 11 weeks pregnant. Doc told me 30-35 weeks is the cut off depending how baby and Mom are doing. Obviously some women push the boundary to do things they love (I’m still horseback riding) I think the biggest concern at this stage would be her comfort. At 7 weeks I was in the plane flying to California and morning sickness+ turbulance=very bad day. There are No bathrooms on the Archer, no room to stand up and stretch or change position etc so that’s what gives me a bit of pause. I have a feeling Cowman will be limited in distance flown with me as I get further along. I’ll join him when I can as I feel comfortable. Sorry for missing the fly in but after 30 plus hours crammed in the archer I wanted a break!!!!! Next year with Cow jr in tow hopefully! Good luck! Love Mrs Moo

Back