Flying VFR with Precip

jcepiano

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
jcepiano
So now that the winter season is upon us, I'm looking at some weather that I almost never ran into during my training. Today for example, I'm seeing some -RA with FEW039 OVC070. I've been missing flying and feel like I'm taking weeks on the bench because of weather like this.

How many of you feel comfortable going up in the pattern at least with a weather system above for VFR flying? Or, do you avoid flying completely since that FEW039 could turn into OVC013 in an hour or two?

I would have no problem with that if I was in the pattern. I would look at forecasts to see where the weather was heading and if the visibility and celings would drop

Pattern, cross country, whatever. Light rain is irrelevant to VFR. It's all clouds and visibility.

With the usual California stratus, you can have 50 miles vis below the ceiling, so if it's high enough, just go for it.

Yup. It is a fun experience.

1016133_10201504309276549_1223296480_n.jpg

Just don't do it with a wood prop

A lot depends on weather patterns for that day as well as for the geographic location.

I almost never flew in even "light" rainshowers in Colorado since the general conditions in that part of the country usually means they turned into thunderstorms or serious downdrafts at the blink of an eye.

OTOH, I flew VFR in light snow when I lived in New England when the patterns for that day indicated they would stay light and above me.

I have and would fly in those conditions as long as temp at altitude was above freezing by 5+C.

First time I was wondering where the wiper button was and then the rain just ran off the windshield.

FWIW, my PPL Checkride was in VFR with precip. As long as you can maintain VFR mins, I'd be comfortable.

VFR with precip,usually doesn't present a problem in the pattern,go for it . Will make for a good learning experience .

I would fly VFR in those conditions if staying in the pattern providing visibility minimums were okay. By okay, I mean at least 5 miles or more. I don't like VFR in <5 miles, but that is just me.

...it wasn't raining real hard this day...but it was my first time...pre-solo with my CFI. I've flown through some rain before but haven't done pattern work or anything like that in it since. After a few minutes it wasn't even a distraction...I could see if it was pouring but I doubt you'd opt to go up in that. The prop makes for a helluva wiper. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4ba7jUIU9s&list=UUszf-xDDrRJREORwe0HEYwg

Likely to find those conditions during extended cross countries.
Perfectly fine VFR whether; but if OVC did get to 010 or less, you can still divert to a Class-B/C/D and get a Special.

You'll meet much worse conditions as time passes. You need to get comfortable with normal weather or you'll find yourself grounded more times than is beneficial

Sounds like a typical VFR day here in the PNW. Have a good time.

I take my students out in the -RA/RA just to show them how much visibility can drop if you fly into light rain. It's not unsafe, just a little unnerving if you can't see very far. I tell them to watch their instruments and trust them even though you can see the ground below you and to try and get out of it is f the rain is localized in a specific area.

I've flown in very light rain in the midwest, even flew (with my CFI) in light snow one time.

I didn't really have any issues with the rain. Little strange at first, to think about what you're doing, but no big deal once you're up in the air, at least for me.

In the snow, we were practicing takeoffs and landings, managed to get two of them in before I said "we're done". There was a pretty good crosswind regardless of runway and it was my first time flying in reduced visibility. Combined made me extremely uncomfortable, only reason we got two in was I figured the best time to experience it was when I had a CFI in the right seat that could try and fix anything I messed up.

Flying in rain should be simple if you use the right cleaner and get in the habit of polishing the windscreen before every flight. Now there's a contentious topic. One mile and clear of clouds is a common condition in my area. Sometimes it means 400' is as high as you can go, at least in some places. Slow it down and be ready to do a 180* turn in zero vis conditions in case that one mile closes to nada unexpectedly. Every private pilot should know how to do it. None should do it regularly enough to become comfortable with it.

Pattern, cross country, whatever. Light rain is irrelevant to VFR. It's all clouds and visibility.
Although I interpreted your words to come with a caveat, those reading the forum may not. There are conditions of -RA that are not so innocuous. ScottD has something on his website in the Virga article about that.

Also, this time of year FZRA is a reasonable concern depending upon geography.

Last edited:
Well, yes, but freezing rain is not light rain. Though there are a couple of exceptions, it's rather difficult to come across freezing rain while clear of clouds, with rain below. Freezing rain with snow and especially ice pellets below can happen in an inversion.

Id fly in it. Airplane doesn't know it raining.

Now I might not try a 3+hr VFR cross country in that, but staying local or a burger hop to the near by diner, sure.

So keep a eye on the conditions as you go along and infuse common sense.

Ofcourse avoid freezing anything, freezing raid, dz, fog, etc.

Just don't do it with a wood prop

Or a composite prop. I shredded about 1/4 " of the leading edge of mine once while flying thru the rain.

Depends on the visibility in the rain. If it is light rain and I can see right through it to the other side, no CB, no freezing rain, yes I'd fly through it. Maybe wash off some of the carrots growing on my windscreen. :D

I once flew all day (5 hours of flight) down the coast of Alaska in rain and 500' ceilings. It was spooky at first, but I got used to it. We were over water, following shoreline pretty much the whole way so we didn't have to worry about obstructions.

I flew through a rain shower associated with a warm front a couple of months ago. I could see through the rain while approaching the shower, but once I was actually in the rain forward visibility went to zero. Visibility to the sides was excellent, however, which was a little irritating because that prevented me from logging instrument time.

You want real fun get caught in snow sometimes. Looks sort of like going into hyperdrive on the Millenium Falcon :)

If I can see through it I can fly through it.

Funny thing about such generalized rules is that it often misses something. I have seen through a golf ball size hail shower, but I sure would not want to fly through it!

I flew through the rain at night once.
That was the most sterile cockpit I have ever had.
Mrs. 6PC's nerves were palpable

I flew through the rain at night once.
That was the most sterile cockpit I have ever had.
Mrs. 6PC's nerves were palpable

If you were touching Mrs 6PC's nerves and it was sterile, I suspect you need to switch to loose fitting boxers.

Back