Flying to Mexico (and CBP sticker lead time)

iamtheari

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
Ari
Okay ... I've studied this for flying to Canada but not Mexico. Winter hit this morning with snow flurries, so I am day dreaming about making a trip to Mexico sometime in the next couple months. Here are my questions:

1. What's the lead time on CBP stickers these days? I ordered one 4 years ago when I was going to fly to Canada for the Arctic Winter Games but I can't remember how long it took to arrive.

2. I would prefer to fly this kind of trip IFR. I like to have both IFR and VFR charts with me. What is the best source for charts for Mexico?

3. Is there any reason to go VFR instead of IFR, whether to Mexico, from Mexico, or within Mexico? I'm remaining 100% legal, not even bringing in Cuban cigars, so I would plan to follow all the rules as I always do. Whichever set of rules is easiest to follow, that is. :)

4. Are there any parts of Mexico to avoid or to gravitate toward when flying yourself? I'm mostly looking at Cancun but that's only because it's relatively close to parts of the USA where I have family to visit and an international airport to return to. I'm open to suggestions. My main needs are 100LL and safety.

Don’t worry about the CBP stickers. As soon as you purchase it, CBP has it on file and your receipt will do as proof.

Remember they expire 12/31 (or some other fixed date).

Remember to update your eAPIS profile with the new sticker number.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

@wayneda40 has some great resources on this, he was very helpful to me when I was sketching out a trip over the summer

As a point of reference I ordered my CBP renewal sticker on Oct 27th and received it Nov 3rd, but as stated above once you paid the receipt is as good as the sticker.

You can expedite the arrival of the sticker for a price. But as mentioned, the receipt has the sticker number on it and that will suffice. I’ve never had a CBP officer actually look for the sticker.

Don’t worry about the CBP stickers. As soon as you purchase it, CBP has it on file and your receipt will do as proof.

Remember they expire 12/31 (or some other fixed date).

Remember to update your eAPIS profile with the new sticker number.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

This

VFR is almost always better in Mexico. IFR services are not like you are used to in the US. Do not expect direct routings at low altitudes, and you will be on a frequency where almost everyone except you is speaking in Spanish. IFR only if the weather requires it, in my opinion.
Jon

I too received my 2022 sticker in about a week (without any expediting payment.)

VFR is almost always better in Mexico. IFR services are not like you are used to in the US. Do not expect direct routings at low altitudes, and you will be on a frequency where almost everyone except you is speaking in Spanish. IFR only if the weather requires it, in my opinion.
Jon
Thanks. Any tips for flying VFR over the Gulf in either direction?

Ari (and thanks @Tantalum)... I've had many lovely GA trips to Mexico. The following might provide some food for thought...
On the IFR or VFR question:
  • in the mountainous areas of Mexico: unless you're turbocharged you can pretty much forget about IFR... MEAs are simply too high.
  • in the coastal areas, especially east of the Mexican Rockies: IFR should work pretty much like normal... although the MEAs are still pretty high (not for terrain, but for comms).
Regarding maps and plates (make certain to check out all the following thoroughly before leaving the States):
  • you can get along decently with the Aeronautical map layer in ForeFlight, for both IFR and VFR.
  • you'll probably want to get a ForeFlight subscription to Jeppesen for instrument procedures.
  • for Garmin avionics, the "Americas" subscription works nicely.
Thoughts on destinations:
  • if you're planning to stay east of the Mexican Rockies, then -- rather than touristy Cancun -- for my taste I'd much prefer a classic destination like Mérida.
  • on the Pacific Coast, lots of good options... the Baja (of course!), Álamos (see above), Puerto Vallarta, Puerto Escondido.
Feel free to DM me at any time.
¡Buen viaje!
Wayne

Last edited:
Ari (and thanks @Tantalum)... I've had many lovely GA trips to Mexico. The following might provide some food for thought...
Lots of food for thought. Thank you! I'll spend some time watching your videos. I really appreciate the tip about approach plates. I searched a little for the paper version and all I could find were VFR charts, no IFR en route or approach charts at all.

Yes bring a second pilot who’s also cold ‍
Careful what you wish for. I am notorious for making any pilot who even looks at my airplane be a safety pilot so I can log approaches, no matter how long the cross-country trip is.

Careful what you wish for. I am notorious for making any pilot who even looks at my airplane be a safety pilot so I can log approaches, no matter how long the cross-country trip is.
Stop twisting my arm :D

On the IFR or VFR question:
  • in the mountainous areas of Mexico: unless you're turbocharged you can pretty much forget about IFR... MEAs are simply too high.
  • in the coastal areas, especially east of the Mexican Rockies: IFR should work pretty much like normal... although the MEAs are still pretty high (not for terrain, but for comms).
Regarding maps and plates (make certain to check out all the following thoroughly before leaving the States):
  • you can get along decently with the Aeronautical map layer in ForeFlight, for both IFR and VFR.
  • you'll probably want to get a ForeFlight subscription to Jeppesen for instrument procedures.
  • for Garmin avionics, the "Americas" subscription works nicely.
Thoughts on destinations:
  • if you're planning to stay east of the Mexican Rockies, then -- rather than touristy Cancun -- for my taste I'd much prefer a classic destination like Mérida.
  • on the Pacific Coast, lots of good options... the Baja (of course!), Álamos (see above), Puerto Vallarta, Puerto Escondido.
Feel free to DM me at any time.
¡Buen viaje!
Wayne

Thank you! I'm going to Puerto Vallarta (technically Punta Mita) in February and your post will be very helpful. By the way, any suggestions on managing logistics/FBO fees? I'm in a jet so I don't expect to get a great deal but the FBO quoted $3.5K in handling fees/parking/etc. (no fuel) which seems like a lot for a light jet.

Lots of great stuff in that note. I won't repeat it. But it's all good.

If you make it down to Oaxaca, look me up. I have an airbnb there (https://airbnb.com/h/casa-isa) and would be happy to hang out with another adventurer. San Miguel de Allende hasn't been mentioned yet either. We spend a lot of time there as well.

We've lived in Mexico for about 12 years now and the hardest thing about flying has been staying instrument current. I basically don't. I get an IPC every so often so I don't completely loose the skills, in case I ever need them during trips to the US, but instrument flying here really requires more airplane than my Maule.

Thank you! I'm going to Puerto Vallarta (technically Punta Mita) in February and your post will be very helpful. By the way, any suggestions on managing logistics/FBO fees? I'm in a jet so I don't expect to get a great deal but the FBO quoted $3.5K in handling fees/parking/etc. (no fuel) which seems like a lot for a light jet.

Yeah, f those guys. Such leaches. There is actually a movement afoot to bring those kinds of operators back down to earth, but for sure that won't happen before February.

Some (many? all?) airports will let you self serve and not pay the FBO. But you definitely need to do homework to figure that out in advance. You are well above my pay grade, so I haven't had to try and avoid fees that high - but if you get the flashpass app, there is a community of pilots with a whatsapp chat that might be able to help you on an airport by airport basis. The creator of the app is a pretty amazingly cool guy also. Unfortunately, while the Pacific side is my side of the country, I've not once been to Puerto Vallarta, so I can't give you specific guidance for that airport. Just make calls and ask questions.

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned. Don't trust weather from ATC in Mexico.

And a little about my area.

Last edited:
Sorry, Rudy, no experience with jets and fees. Did spend a couple days in Puerto Vallarta in 2019... and we simply parked in transient parking, with modest fees. Enjoy.

Lots of great stuff in that note. I won't repeat it. But it's all good.

If you make it down to Oaxaca, look me up. I have an airbnb there (https://airbnb.com/h/casa-isa) and would be happy to hang out with another adventurer. San Miguel de Allende hasn't been mentioned yet either. We spend a lot of time there as well.
@rwellner98 -- Indeed, next time in Oaxaca I'll look you up!
BTW, love the wind sock!
Thanks!
Wayne

I noticed that you list passenger COVID-19 attestation forms and test results for the return to the USA. Have you been ramp checked and/or CBP-checked on those items?
I've crossed back into the US 3 times during COVID... each time we had negative COVID test results, but they were not checked nor were we asked anything regarding COVID by CBP.
Wayne

I just got back from my first trip to Mexico yesterday in my trusty little Cherokee 180. Went from N Texas to MMAN Monterrey

Did it all myself, and plan to do a write up here on the process

I got my sticker in a week

used Baja Bush Pilots for my eAPIS

Coming back to the states, the CBP guy cared more about my half eaten sandwich than Covid test (which I didn't have)

Wayne has a video that shows a lot of the process returning.

I flew VFR.

a guy I know runs the website www.flygamexico.com where he hosts a power point of the steps you need to do.

he helped me all through my process

One trick I learned from him was to befriend (tip well) an operations guy (green safety vest at MMAN) and they walked me through the incoming and outgoing paperwork. $20 tip each time.

I've had my ticket for 20 months and passed 400 hours on this trip. If I can do it, anybody can

And you mentioned 100ll and safety

$4.95 a gallon full serve at MMAN and then they waived all parking and handling fees. I think I took on 25 gallons

I left my headset in my plane. The army has soldiers 24/7 at all port of entries and talking to guys that go down there all the time they said don't worry about it. I did place a piece of tape on the entry door in a inconspicuous location to see if anybody had entered the plane. (My door doesn't lock)

I was more worried about somebody wanting me to mule their product than theft.
They did run the drug dogs around the plane during outbound paperwork

all in all the folks in MTY were 10 times more friendly than a similar sized airport here in the states. They want you to come is what I heard over and over before my trip. Just go in knowing it's done different there and have some patience. Took about 2 hours to clear into the country as it was my planes first trip into the country and they lacked a English speaker at the commandants office and I didn't have any local currency and had to go to the bank on property.

From Ft Worth it is 3.5 in my Cherokee. It's 5 hours to Denver, Samte Fe or similar area. I'll be going back regularly, as it's a great city and a different culture and scenery, and the food is amazing.
Monterrey is a very safe place. I stayed in San Pedro, and the area I was in reminded me of Beverly Hills in both the wealth and the beauty of the locals.

I just got back from my first trip to Mexico yesterday in my trusty little Cherokee 180. Went from N Texas to MMAN Monterrey

Did it all myself, and plan to do a write up here on the process
I've had my ticket for 20 months and passed 400 hours on this trip. If I can do it, anybody can
@cowtowner -- this is SO COOL! Congratulations, and so glad you enjoyed the experience.
Wayne

And you mentioned 100ll and safety

$4.95 a gallon full serve at MMAN and then they waived all parking and handling fees. I think I took on 25 gallons

I left my headset in my plane. The army has soldiers 24/7 at all port of entries and talking to guys that go down there all the time they said don't worry about it. I did place a piece of tape on the entry door in a inconspicuous location to see if anybody had entered the plane. (My door doesn't lock)

I was more worried about somebody wanting me to mule their product than theft.
They did run the drug dogs around the plane during outbound paperwork

all in all the folks in MTY were 10 times more friendly than a similar sized airport here in the states. They want you to come is what I heard over and over before my trip. Just go in knowing it's done different there and have some patience. Took about 2 hours to clear into the country as it was my planes first trip into the country and they lacked a English speaker at the commandants office and I didn't have any local currency and had to go to the bank on property.

From Ft Worth it is 3.5 in my Cherokee. It's 5 hours to Denver, Samte Fe or similar area. I'll be going back regularly, as it's a great city and a different culture and scenery, and the food is amazing.
Monterrey is a very safe place. I stayed in San Pedro, and the area I was in reminded me of Beverly Hills in both the wealth and the beauty of the locals.

Food's great as well!

Yes. Food was fantastic. Also, everybody is wearing masks indoors and out. Every place takes your temp coming in.

I watched every one of your videos multiple times. The one where you went through the reentry process was very helpful.

@cowtowner -- this is SO COOL! Congratulations, and so glad you enjoyed the experience.
Wayne

I watched every one of your videos multiple times. The one where you went through the reentry process was very helpful.
Your comment -- and more importantly -- your successful and enjoyable trip -- makes my day!

Back