Flying Octogenarians

Something for any pilot to aspire to. I have 40 years to go before qualifying for membership, though.

Jim G

sere said:
Great article. I have sent it to my dad. Looks like he should also join this group. Thanks for posting.

Ha ha! Me too, Larry. Dad will be 80 in January.

Jim

In fact, to retain a license, all pilots older than 70 are required to have an annual FAA-approved physical, which examines vision, hearing, blood pressure and many other criteria.
(emphasis added)

Is this correct? A freind of mine nearing 70 has wondered this aloud. I'd told him I'd never heard of it. I just read the FAR's on medicals and still dont't see anything about it going to a one year medical after age 70. Correct, or not?

My mechanic, friend, and good flying buddy, Clyde Grant turned 82 this March. We rebuilt my Tripacer this winter, and he is rebuilding a PA-11 now. Out of the 103 planes that made it to last years SWPC convention, he put abut 12 of them back in the air. I gave him his medical and he passes with less problems than most and one of my instructors said he had no difficulties on his BFR. He sold his Pacer last year but still pulls out the Luscombe. I'd fly with him any day, and I'd let him rebuild my plane again if he hadn't done such a good job the first time that it probably wont need it again for another 30 years.

Age is what you make of it.

Barb

Two OctAirians I flew with come to mind.

One would simply ask, "Where do you want to fly ?" and we'd go tooling around in his twin SeaBee amphib.

The other just asked, when I brought his Cherokee 180 back after flying it anywhere I liked in the Pac NW for a year, "Is it topped off ?"

OctAirians ? ...I like 'em !

My mechanic, friend, and good flying buddy, Clyde Grant turned 82 this March. We rebuilt my Tripacer this winter, and he is rebuilding a PA-11 now. Out of the 103 planes that made it to last years SWPC convention, he put abut 12 of them back in the air. I gave him his medical and he passes with less problems than most and one of my instructors said he had no difficulties on his BFR. He sold his Pacer last year but still pulls out the Luscombe. I'd fly with him any day, and I'd let him rebuild my plane again if he hadn't done such a good job the first time that it probably wont need it again for another 30 years.

Age is what you make of it.

Barb
Nice post. Thanks for recognizing that age does not equal infirmity by necessity. Some elders do suffer the consequences of being old, but the organization called the "UFO's" (Union of Flying Octogenarians) has many fine members. I once wrote an article about them, but it never made the cut for publication.

I met an 82 year old pilot who flew into Westcliffe Colorado airport while I kept a Cessna 172M 180 HP there, and he was in the pilot seat with a friend (81 years old) at right seat. The youngest guy in the plane was 80 and they called him "the kid."

At 69 myself, I hope to have many more years of flying, and don't have hypertension, diabetes, or visual problems so I anticipate passing my physicals without problems.

Just put down "Earnest" deposit on a PA-22, which is in Michigan, and when I get home from Alaska to Maine where I live on Sept 1, will go to get my "new" plane to bring home to Millinocket.

Enjoying this group, and planning already to go to the 2017 fly-in of the Short Wing Piper Club.

Happy Landings.
Bob

My old man is in the octo-club too. As fate would have it, we may both be flying aircraft up to be static displays at the same airshow next month which I think will be pretty cool. Him flying the family plane (that I grew up flying in/flying as a kid), me in some grey military metal. Maybe they will park us next to each other :) Anyway, cool to see that there are a bunch of old guys doing this, and that there is hope for the rest of us once we grow old………though it will be a little under 47 years before I qualify for this

I have enough years that I'll need an engine overhaul . . . But dang, it's a great target!

My Dad will be 89 in October. He had his 3rd class until last year when he let it lapse. He flew his Aztec until last year when he sold it. He has a Remos LSA and flys it weekly and now that the 3rd class is going away he's talking about getting a Cessna or something. My friend Harry will be 98 next month and he flies with me and still is a great pilot. Don

I'm 80.I flew until two years ago when I got shingles which then triggered arthritis . I had to quit flying which I really miss. Going to the airport and sitting around is boring so I rarely go anymore. Fly while you can as anything can happen, even if you feel great.

Note at the bottom that the article was last updated in 2005. I had a guy approach me about joining a couple weeks ago and when I said I was only 64 he said age doesn't matter. He isn't 80 yet, either. I wonder if they have a web site yet?

At the last QB Hangar meeting one of the member said he had gone out and done 9 take offs and landings that day. When asked what the big deal was about that he said he just turned 90 that day. He has an Ercoupe light sport and flies about 3 times a week. He survived 35 missions flying a B-24 then flew Photo recon Mosquito's the rest of the war. Don

Back