Flying in Hawaii

Adam Weiss

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
kcmopilot
Going to Hawaii next week and rented a 172 for some island hopping.
Anyone ever done this, and any recommended sights to see?
I’ll have a full 24hrs.

Oahu to Maui - 116 mile open water.
Maui to Hawaii - 26 miles
Oahu to Hawaii - 189 miles
Kauai to Oahu - 63 miles
Oahu to Molokai - 22 miles
Maui to Lanai - 8 miles

Big Tiger sharks between.

Oahu to Maui - 116 mile open water.
Maui to Hawaii - 26 miles
Oahu to Hawaii - 189 miles
Kauai to Oahu - 63 miles
Oahu to Molokai - 22 miles
Maui to Lanai - 8 miles

Big Tiger sharks between.
Yep.
Any recommendations for sights to see?

One of the best things we did was take the DH Beaver on floats from near the Hon airport on Oahu full sightseeing flight. It was $450? but worth it. He went along Waikaki Beach then east up the coast then west and came back down the valley in the middle of the island which so we could see the route the Japanese attack planes took to Pearl Harbor.

I’ll ask a different way.
Anyone who has actually flown in Hawaii...any specific dramatic views I shouldn’t miss?

I would say the water falls on the east side of the big island. The area is rain forest and the falls are their best after it rains hard, so the day would have to be perfect for that one.

Which Island? From The Valley of the Temples (inside Kaneohe Class D), all the way around the island of Oahu to Nanakuli (just outside Rodgers Field Class D), is some incredible coastline. I've flown around it in military aircraft, and took my wife on one of the tour flights. I've also flown an ultra light on Kauai, to go look at whales and check out the Na Pali coast. That was way cool!

Not my pic. But, a way cool shot of Na Pali Coast
24631589900_a51ef91abc_b.jpg

It’s hard not to like any of it. I let an Aussie helicopter pilot do the driving when I was there, more time to look around. Plus hovering is nice for gawking at some of it.

I’ll ask a different way.
Anyone who has actually flown in Hawaii...any specific dramatic views I shouldn’t miss?

We rented a 182 in Kona several years go and flew north over Haleakala (Maui) and then turned left to fly along the cliffs on the north side of Molokai before landing at Kalaupapa. After a short stop we flew back south to Lanai and then west to Kona. The latter part has a lot of overwater time but we climbed high - 10,500' if I recall correctly. Make sure you have a life vest and a raft if possible.

DSCN1820.jpg

Which Island? From The Valley of the Temples (inside Kaneohe Class D), all the way around the island of Oahu to Nanakuli (just outside Rodgers Field Class D), is some incredible coastline. I've flown around it in military aircraft, and took my wife on one of the tour flights. I've also flown an ultra light on Kauai, to go look at whales and check out the Na Pali coast. That was way cool!

Not my pic. But, a way cool shot of Na Pali Coast
24631589900_a51ef91abc_b.jpg
I’ll be heading out from PHNL. Definitely wanted to check out Kauai. +1 on Na Pali coast. Can’t wait to see that!

I did a circle of the big island.
Lava was flowing into the ocean, interesting the see the steam and clouds; don't fly into those clouds since they are more than condensed water. The Na Pali coast was interesting, too. Flying towards the volcano, I was advised eventually, you run out of climb while there is volcano above you; the gradual slope is deceiving.

As for the tiger sharks, how many people swim/surf there? How many are bitten each year?

IMG_0089.JPG IMG_0090.JPG Img_0117.jpg Img_0143.jpg

I did a circle of the big island.
Lava was flowing into the ocean, interesting the see the steam and clouds; don't fly into those clouds since they are more than condensed water. The Na Pali coast was interesting, too. Flying towards the volcano, I was advised eventually, you run out of climb while there is volcano above you; the gradual slope is deceiving.

As for the tiger sharks, how many people swim/surf there? How many are bitten each year?

View attachment 80900 View attachment 80901 View attachment 80902 View attachment 80903
WOW! Beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
Molokotini pretty neat. Very top of a volcano. Popular snorkeling destination. Off S shore of Maui.

some shipwrecks on N shore of Lanai. I don’t have pictures, but they’re on the sectional.

Attachments

• E3CEC787-0FD2-43E4-8F85-EEF46A89A333.jpeg
    E3CEC787-0FD2-43E4-8F85-EEF46A89A333.jpeg
    301.7 KB · Views: 28
I've rented and flown in Hawaii several times. 1st time out of HNL back in 2003. We shot a T&G at Kalaupapa and Kahalui (Maui) before returning to HNL. Once out of Kahalui and 3 times out of Kona. The last time was in 2007. $200/hr dual for a 172. $500 to circumnavigate the big island. Even today that would be expensive in my book, it's been 12 years, no telling what the charge would be today. BTW, on an earlier flight in a 172 with the CFI and my wife we caught an updraft off the NW corner of the big island and were climbing, with the engine at idle. Any time I've flown in Hawaii, rather than a check-out flight and then going solo I just took the CFI along. The cost difference isn't great, they make great tour guides and (most important!) they can pronounce the reporting point names on the radio.

Kauai is the only major island I haven't landed on, although it is our favorite island and have landed/taken off from LIH many times as self-loading cargo. It is also the only place my wife has ridden in a helicopter (once, never again) and I've been up twice (once with my wife, once with my brother) with Tropic Biplanes (an open cockpit Waco - great fun!).

Have fun! You'll love the views, wherever you go.

I flew over all the islands on multiple trips. Highlights:
- Coming off the ocean towards Diamond Head and Honolulu
- Flying towards Honolulu from the west at low altitude and crossing the ridge that the Japanese Zeros crossed before attacking Pearl Harbor (it was spooky)
- Waimea canyon on Kauai
- The NaPali coast
- North coast of Molokai

If you do have to ditch and get stranded... At least you're in Hawaii

Sorry, I don't have any real advice to offer.
Other than don't make me so jealous!

Flew from Maui pretty much the same route Gary posted above. I flew with an instructor so I didn't need a checkout, and he was a great tour guide in addition of the cool tips like the easy climb over Molokai (windward side of 3000' cliffs). There are some big winds, but they are constant so the instructor is also a lot of help for avoiding turbulence.

A couple of years ago, my wife and I flew separately in really nice Aussie built ultralights based at Dillingham field, following the North shore of Oahu over to Kaneohe and back. The views along the Koʻolau Range were awesome.

Flew from Maui pretty much the same route Gary posted above. I flew with an instructor so I didn't need a checkout, and he was a great tour guide in addition of the cool tips like the easy climb over Molokai (windward side of 3000' cliffs). There are some big winds, but they are constant so the instructor is also a lot of help for avoiding turbulence.

And they can pronounce all the location names correctly... :lol:

A couple of years ago, my wife and I flew separately in really nice Aussie built ultralights based at Dillingham field, following the North shore of Oahu over to Kaneohe and back. The views along the Koʻolau Range were awesome.

My daughter and I did the gliders at Dillingham. Had a great time, highly recommended!

Hoping to go in the next year or two. Take and post pictures please.

IMG_9988.jpg
NaPali coast

IMG_9885_1.jpg
NaPali coast

IMG_9859.jpg
Waimea Canyon (you will see the waterfall from Jurassic Park movie)

IMG_9780_1.jpg
This is the first view of Pearl Harbor that the Japanese pilots had before the attack. Eerie.

IMG_9754c.jpg
Arriving into Honolulu from east.

IMG_9738.jpg
North shore of Molokai

IMG_9722.jpg
North shore of Molokai

View attachment 80922
NaPali coast

View attachment 80923
NaPali coast

View attachment 80924
Waimea Canyon (you will see the waterfall from Jurassic Park movie)

View attachment 80925
This is the first view of Pearl Harbor that the Japanese pilots had before the attack. Eerie.

View attachment 80926
Arriving into Honolulu from east.

View attachment 80927
North shore of Molokai

View attachment 80928
North shore of Molokai
Beautiful!
I can’t wait!
Was there a lot of traffic at the Na Pali coast? The sectional has a warning.
Also, looking at the picture of HNL, is that low cloud cover common? Should I file IFR or get a pop up, or is VFR OK?

Beautiful!
I can’t wait!
Was there a lot of traffic at the Na Pali coast? The sectional has a warning.
Also, looking at the picture of HNL, is that low cloud cover common? Should I file IFR or get a pop up, or is VFR OK?

NaPali was very busy. The CFI was there to work the radio and he knew the tour routes. I hope ADS-B works there, or it will be stressful.
We have flown ~20hrs all over Hawaii and never needed IFR. It depends on the day I guess.

Some items above:
Riding with a CFI will keep you legal,
make correct checkpoint reports,
Know where the updrafts (good) are,
Know where the down drafts (bad) are,
Know the best choices IF something goes wrong.

I took a glider flight at Dillingham, loved it and the continuous updraft of the ridge, but obviously, there was a much worse downdraft on the other side, as that side is cliffs. Flying around the Island near the beach could be an unexpected adventure as you come around that ridge. Other places are similar.

More about steam and other gasses rising near any lava or volcano's. They always have large concentrations of sulfuric acid, and can be deadly if you breath it. They are often devoid of oxygen, and your engine will instantly quit producing power. Those gasses are very hot, and have much less lift than the surrounding air, you have a significant altitude loss passing through. I have personally experienced all of those effects, on a small scale, exactly one time. Unforgettable.

The rising gasses will not be vertical, they drift with the wind, and may not be readily visible, just a hazy shimmer in the view through them.

I am ready for another trip to the Islands.

Just a very few of my pictures from flying in Hawaii...

1 Waikiki fm 1500 MSL 15 Mar 2003.jpg
Waikiki from 1500 MSL while flying out of HNL

Kalaupapa.jpg

Kalaupapa (Molokai)

WailuaFalls.jpg Wailua Falls (da plane! da plane!) From Snoopy (Tropic Biplanes)

KeeBeach.jpg Kee Beach (off the nose) approaching from the NaPali coast in Snoopy

145.JPG
Southern tip of the big island. There's a WWII fighter strip in this picture. Can you find it?

159 Molokini.jpg
Molokini. There are better places to snorkel in Hawaii, but it is popular.

Just a very few of my pictures from flying in Hawaii...

View attachment 80953
Waikiki from 1500 MSL while flying out of HNL

View attachment 80956

Kalaupapa (Molokai)

View attachment 80957 Wailua Falls (da plane! da plane!) From Snoopy (Tropic Biplanes)

View attachment 80958 Kee Beach (off the nose) approaching from the NaPali coast in Snoopy

View attachment 80960
Southern tip of the big island. There's a WWII fighter strip in this picture. Can you find it?

View attachment 80961
Molokini. There are better places to snorkel in Hawaii, but it is popular.
Awesome!!!
Absolutely beautiful.
Any issues with traffic?

Back