Flying across the continent

Amazing!
N9953H%20Coast-to-Coast%20Nonstop_zpspk4l8bxp.jpg

@Katamarino I am curious:

How much oil did you burn?
Did you get enough night flight for your test (perhaps a disadvantage to that route)?
Damn, entering that crazy LA airspace at night after 16hrs must have been draining the brain!!!

Oh yeah, if that was a IFR flight plan i bet you had like a world record breaking clearance readback :)

Haha. Yeah, cleared as filed, luckily! With the exception of a single direct right at the beginning.

I only burned half a quart of oil. My engine does well for oil!

The actual flight from Hawaii will have more night, but hopefully I'll have a working autopilot for that!

The LA airspace was fine, being IFR. They dropped me from 10 to 6 and then back to 10 for some reason, but I was light by then so it was ok!

Watched your progress off and on all day as I was in and out of the house. Amazing.

Any idea what caused the autopilot problems? You are definitely going to want that to work right.

Any idea what caused the autopilot problems? You are definitely going to want that to work right.

I think the motor in the roll servo has gone. It's top of the list of things to fix once I'm back at home base. Only got to cross the country once more before then!

Looking forward to the glory story and photos, but I want to know the other side. What do you eat and drink? Where do you pee? What “equipment” do you bring for pooping, and how did you plan to do it (without auto pilot, lol)?

Anyone working ATC that knew your plans and commented?

How do you find/make the time to do cool stuff like this?

I have fond memories of SMX. I soloed there in a Vandenberg AFB aero club C-150 in 1964 while stationed at VAFB, and attended SMXgig for several years. Also, I attended a number of C-172 technical courses at SMX when Cessna Pilots Association was headed by John Frank. I love that part of the central coast (Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo counties).

Last edited:
Very cool man, around the world in a Avgas 182 here we come. Look forward to the stories.

Back