Flying a putt-putt plane into KMDW

Ozone

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ozone
I have business to do in downtown Chicago and, without Meigs field in existence any longer, I was thinking MDW and parking at Signature or Atlantic would be an option (despite their %&!X$ handling fees).

So, if I am considering this idea seriously, what do i need to know about slotting in between 737's?

Is this remarkably dumb idea (please tell me if that's the case)?

Any tips/tricks to know that can help me not only land there, but also get to the subway? I assume that's only available on the the terminal side.

Putt-putt planes I am considering: arrow II or a SR20

As an aside, while we are at it: why does atlantic charge a security fee of $18 and signature doesn't? Seems weird to me...

It's no big deal at all. They are used to light GA, and there's even a flight school on the field. I flew an Archer in there for my IFR long xc. They asked us to keep our speed up as much as possible on the approach, and stuck us in between 737's, with plenty of room in trail that wake turbulence was not an issue. It was a pretty intense approach in that plane with no autopilot and a crappy GPS, but would've been easy with a little better equipment. If you're IFR, you'll get a STAR and a SID, so be ready for that. I assume that VFR it's be even easier as they could slot you in without worrying so much about the jet behind you running you over. When we took off, we were number 3 behind a 172 & a 182.

IIRC, I was about $175, which included the minimum fuel purchase to waive the ramp fee, which was 15 gallons. We didn't leave the FBO, so I can't help with the subway question.
20200725_161335.jpg 20200725_161348.jpg

Midway is probably one of the best airports in the Chicago area to go into with a light airplane for easy city access. I've taken light airplanes in there a number of times with no problems. As noted, if you're IFR you'll be asked to keep your speed up on approach to help match the traffic flow. If you go in VFR they may put you on a different runway.

Any tips/tricks to know that can help me not only land there, but also get to the subway? I assume that's only available on the the terminal side.

I'm assuming you're meaning to the train station? It's about a two block walk, so no big deal. I haven't been to Midway since before Covid, but if I remember right last time I was in there the FBO dropped us off and picked us up.

It's been a few years (decades), but my dad and I used Midway a lot with his Turbo Lance.

Wasn't ever an issue. GA and 727/737/DC9 got along well.

I might get back there in the next year or two with our Turbo Lance. - who knows?

I landed there VFR to pick up a friend about 12-years ago. No issues. They put me on 4L, IIRC, while Southwest and others were landing 4R. They took me out of the flow.

I asked for a progressive taxi coming in and they showed no irritation.

I think my fees at Atlantic (I know I didn’t go to signature) were over $100.

It was fun. There were a good number of pistons buzzing around. FBO will give you a ride to the Orange Line station near the passenger terminal or you can take an Uber.

SW side of Chicago has changed a bit from when I grew up there. Uber isn’t a terrible idea vs. the El (Elevated Train).

How long is your visit to the city? I plan to land at Shaumburg and take the train in from a nearby station, but I'm going in for a few days.

Atlantic at MDW is a solid, albeit expensive, FBO. I've been in there multiple times in everything from a 172 to my Twin Bonanza. Given the fees they charge, I have zero issues asking them to drive me over to the Orange line station (and when you're on your way back, if you call a couple of stations before MDW, they'll usually be waiting for you when you get off the train). But GA in and out of Midway really is a non-event. Wind permitting, they'll just put you on the smaller runway. It's honestly easier to get in and out VFR than it is IFR, given all of the IFR procedures that Chicago Approach seems to have in place.

Atlantic at MDW is a solid, albeit expensive, FBO. I've been in there multiple times in everything from a 172 to my Twin Bonanza. Given the fees they charge, I have zero issues asking them to drive me over to the Orange line station (and when you're on your way back, if you call a couple of stations before MDW, they'll usually be waiting for you when you get off the train). But GA in and out of Midway really is a non-event. Wind permitting, they'll just put you on the smaller runway. It's honestly easier to get in and out VFR than it is IFR, given all of the IFR procedures that Chicago Approach seems to have in place.

IFR under the Chicago bravo adds 30 minutes to your commute. Lol

We love flying into Midway! Ever since Meigs was closed, it's our main access to downtown Chicago. Easy to do in the Bonanza, and before I had the Bonanza we did it in Cherokees many times. Never had an issue.

How long is your visit to the city? I plan to land at Shaumburg and take the train in from a nearby station, but I'm going in for a few days.
As close as this seems, it could be 20-25+ minutes walking… just no good direct path.

As close as this seems, it could be 20-25+ minutes walking… just no good direct path.

I tried this once when I was in law school in Chicago. I rode the train to Shaumburg and walked to the FBO to rent a plane. It's not really close or direct. Not really a workable solution.

I have business to do in downtown Chicago and, without Meigs field in existence any longer, I was thinking MDW and parking at Signature or Atlantic would be an option (despite their %&!X$ handling fees).

So, if I am considering this idea seriously, what do i need to know about slotting in between 737's?

Is this remarkably dumb idea (please tell me if that's the case)?

Putt-putt planes I am considering: arrow II or a SR20

As an aside, while we are at it: why does atlantic charge a security fee of $18 and signature doesn't? Seems weird to me...

Last fall I flew my 172 into Midway and parked at Atlantic. I was with my buddy and his girlfriend, he is a SW captain based at Midway. We were dropping off his girlfriend who is a SW flight attendant. He was kind of worried about it and made sure I landed short so we could make the first turn off to get off the runway which I did. He handled the radio and paid all the fees at Atlantic so I am not sure what they were. I know he bought fuel to help offset the fees they charge. It was not a problem getting in and out of Midway. I loved feeling and listening to the 737s take off, I have never been that close to them.

I loved feeling and listening to the 737s take off, I have never been that close to them.
That is one of my favorite things about Midway. Standing on the GA ramp, you are closer to the big-iron action than at any other large airport I know.

- Martin

That is one of my favorite things about Midway. Standing on the GA ramp, you are closer to the big-iron action than at any other large airport I know.

- Martin
I guess if you are into that kind of thing it might be cool. I prefer GA airports with a variety of old and new piston powered planes. Neither big aluminum nor big iron does anything for me. To each their own, I guess.

an alternative option could be to fly into KGYY and take the train in. I would do that if I was saying multiple nights. but im cheap :)

Signature advertises a price for 100LL, but seems to frequently not have it. Unfortunate, because I prefer them to Atlantic (especially on weekends with the 50 cent discount).

I flew into MDW VFR in an Arrow. It was no big deal. The more expensive gas is worth not needing to get an Uber from one of the more outlying airports.

- Martin

SNA is really similar, in that respect.

It's no big deal at all. They are used to light GA, and there's even a flight school on the field. I flew an Archer in there for my IFR long xc. They asked us to keep our speed up as much as possible on the approach, and stuck us in between 737's, with plenty of room in trail that wake turbulence was not an issue. It was a pretty intense approach in that plane with no autopilot and a crappy GPS, but would've been easy with a little better equipment. If you're IFR, you'll get a STAR and a SID, so be ready for that. I assume that VFR it's be even easier as they could slot you in without worrying so much about the jet behind you running you over. When we took off, we were number 3 behind a 172 & a 182.

IIRC, I was about $175, which included the minimum fuel purchase to waive the ramp fee, which was 15 gallons. We didn't leave the FBO, so I can't help with the subway question.
View attachment 103951 View attachment 103952

First: nice photos!!!
Second: when i look at the STARs, it looks as if a lot of them start at high altitude, especially coming from the NW (I'll be flying from the twin cities area). When they ask you to do a STAR that has a "floor" of 11,000, what do you do if you are down at 8000ft? I know, stupid newbie IFR question, but still....

First: nice photos!!!
Second: when i look at the STARs, it looks as if a lot of them start at high altitude, especially coming from the NW (I'll be flying from the twin cities area). When they ask you to do a STAR that has a "floor" of 11,000, what do you do if you are down at 8000ft? I know, stupid newbie IFR question, but still....
They'll assign you altitudes, the first of which will probably be the one you're at. They won't expect you to climb, it's just about getting you in line. In fact I suspect if you were at 11k they'd have you descend so the faster jets can pass you with vertical separation.

Back