Flying a puppy home

If the pup is crated, you can throw a blanket over the crate during takeoff and climb for noise reduction. Pup will be fine even if you don’t though.

How long is the flight? What airplane? Solo or someone with you?

I’ve flown a number of PnP dogs and the rule is NO FOOD and NO WATER in the kennel. What happens if the pup starts choking while in flight? Even few hours traveling won’t be a problem for the pup.

In addition to the pee pads, a towel so the pup can curl up in it.

I’ve moved a few including our own. They get a little stressed sometimes, initial takeoff can surprise them but for the most part they ride along fine. I prefer to use a crate partly to keep fur any messes out of an expensive airplane interior and also so I don’t get an unexpected visitor in my lap while trying to land.

I've flown with lotta dogs and it's my experience that dogs don't know the difference between an airplane and an automobile.

You need smarter dogs. :) When I got my Twin Comanche I had a nine year old standard poodle. When I took him up for the first time he went from side to side looking out and down. They he kept looking at me with a very quizzical look.

I flew our golden doodle pup when 3 months old on a two hour flight to pick her up. Frankly, she threw up in the kennel’s first car ride to the airport to greet us, and again in our car ride home, but in the plane, while a bit disturbed, did well without fuss. She was in a small bag sitting in our lap where we tried to comfort her with our hand rubs. Judging by her behavior in the plane since, I think placing a cozy blanket to cover her face and eyes would be very helpful, but do avoid overheating.

<---- despite the screen name, not a vet.

Having said that, I fly with my golden retriever all the time. Your vet is spot on though about the 8000' limitation. Hypoxia as well as sinus blocks can happen in dogs too.

It’a about two hours. I have a Mooney. Dog will be in back with my son. I have a carrier. Towel sounds like a great idea! Thanks for all the responses!
Planning for some time to “burn off” energy with a 15-20 minute walk also helps. A slightly tired dog settles down a bit quicker than one who is full of nervous energy

Rescue Dogs (and cats) have been easy fliers in my experience, usually go to sleep. Only time they were a bit nervous was when I left them 2 minutes before I strapped in. You'll have your son with you so they'll never be alone.

IMG_8517.jpg

I love doing PnP missions. My own dog flies with me and and as soon as there's nothing flying past the window to look at anymore she curls up and won't move until the engine noise changes pitch.

As for puppies (or any dog) I do agree that 8k' is a good limit. Try and keep climbs and descents to something very tame (200 fpm if you and ATC have the time and space for it). A pup in a crate without food/water and a blanket over it will be a very pleasant ride for you. The larger dogs that can't fit in a crate, or the crate can't fit in your plane, are more of a hassle and I don't recommend doing it alone even if they are tethered securely.

It's really rewarding to drop off a pup to a new owner who simply can't thank you enough and see the happiness that dog has.

Of course they're probably just happy they are on firm ground and don't have to fly with you again, but happiness is happiness!

pretty much what everyone else said. I have flown a lot of dogs. Not a single one got sick or peed. I have only used a cage a couple times when the dogs were small enough. Most of the time they just lay down in the back seat. A few like to look out the window. My first PnP mission is still my favorite. It was a 90lb rottweiler. most of time he laid his head on my shoulder. He was such a good boy. I dont get how someone could have given him away.

Our Mid-Atlantic Springer Spaniel Rescues have been great; climb in, look around, curl up, and sleep. Our Mastiff travels well, she's a sleeper, just like my bride. :lol:

Our Mastiff pup - Rescue under my seat - Mary and the rescue she talked out from under the seat after we shut down.

IMG_1136.JPG Polo under my seat 2a.JPG MAESSr Mary and Polo.JPG

Thanks for all the help. Pup fell asleep at about 3000’. Woke up a couple of times and then woke up for good right before landing. ATC wanted to give me 10k’ due to MVA in the area but I told them
I couldn’t because I had a puppy so I cancelled IFR and they let me continue VFR with flight following at 8000’.
goooood puppy! happy puppy!

Almost all dogs we flew for PNP were quite relaxed once we were in the air and enroute to our destination... We usually walk the dogs for about 10 minutes prior to boarding the plane to avoid any accidents during the flight. Lately we flew more cats than dogs and are always crated. The foxes we flew once were pretty smelly and I wonder if one of them had an accident in the crate... :confused:

Looks like your cute puppy did well and you have a new co-pilot...

Good eye! He is an English Lab. Name is Snoopy.

I love the breed; my English is 12 today (a fancy, registered boy...registered, etc.), and my ***** is 9 tomorrow (a very athletic American Lab, rescued many years ago). You are lucky to have such a marvelous puppy; he'll take good care of you, so return the favor. Blessings.

Back