"Fly Runway Heading"... with a Garmin G3X Touch

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Both of today’s flight with student JJ were some good IFR teaching flights with him…. His first flights back under the hood since his private pilot checkride.

Once in the practice area, he quickly adopted good scan habits.

Looking at the Cloud Ahoy Debrief I discovered something…

Wind conditions were 30014G19. We were departing RWY 36R at KDTO.

I gave him the instruction “On Departure, Fly Runway Heading”. Take off good, climb good, he remained well within ±5º heading. But looking at the ground track in Cloud Ahoy, we drifted pretty far to the right. So much that if there was a parallel runway to our right, we would might have been over too far. (click thumbnail below to see full image)

If we were flying VFR, we would notice that some amount of crab into the wind is needed and do it.

Using our tools on the G3X, what is the simple way when under the hood to “cancel” this drift and track runway heading properly?

Do we twist the heading bug into the wind some amount?

Or is there some other technique that works every time?

For additional data, both the Flight Director and autopilot were off.

SCR-20230303-sy8.jpeg

Both of today’s flight with student JJ were some good IFR teaching flights with him…. His first flights back under the hood since his private pilot checkride.

I gave him the instruction “On Departure, Fly Runway Heading”. Take off good, climb good, he remained well within ±5º heading. But looking at the ground track in Cloud Ahoy, we drifted pretty far to the right. So much that if there was a parallel runway to our right, we would might have been over too far. (click thumbnail below to see full image)

If we were flying VFR, we would notice that some amount of crab into the wind is needed and do it.

Using our tools on the G3X, what is the simple way when under the hood to “cancel” this drift and track runway heading properly?

View attachment 115470
None of the above. If the clearance is runway heading, fly runway heading.

3X or no 3X, runway heading is runway heading. You let the controllers worry anout drift.

View attachment 115470
I assume you are asking as a what can you do with this gadget exercise. Not that you think if you are assigned fly runway heading you should track it. What is a GX3? Can you enter waypoints and fly direct to them? If so, go direct PINCK. That’ll have you tracking straight out the ‘course’ of 36R.

Last edited:
Thanks all!

Don’t go so soon…we haven’t reached three pages yet.

If you wanted to ground track 170 degrees, adjust your heading until the ground track (magenta diamond symbol) sits at 170 degrees on your HSI. I assume it has that feature like the G One Thousand.

The simple answer is if a course is selected and the HSI will generate a a white dashed lubber line topped off by a magenta carat on the compass ring that will move to indicate track and wind correction. You then turn to place the HSI’s course pointer with CDI centered under the carat which applies the appropriate wind correction angle so you don’t have to calculate anything— the system does it for you. Again this for a course— ie you are actively navigating to a waypoint. However, I was taught when given a heading to fly, you simply fly that heading and don’t apply a WCA.

Last edited:
Don’t go so soon…we haven’t reached three pages yet.

If you wanted to ground track 170 degrees, adjust your heading until the ground track (magenta diamond symbol) sits at 170 degrees on your HSI. I assume it has that feature like the G One Thousand.

Yes the G3X and G1000 have the same functionality in this regard.

The simple answer is if a course is selected and the HSI will generate a a white dashed lubber line topped off by a magenta carat on the compass ring that will move to indicate track and wind correction. You then turn to place the HSI’s course pointer with CDI centered under the carat which applies the appropriate wind correction angle so you don’t have to calculate anything— the system does it for you. Again this for a course— ie you are actively navigating to a waypoint. However, I was taught when given a heading to fly, you simply fly that heading and don’t apply a WCA.
upload_2023-3-4_8-42-1.png
Of course, flying a track when you were instructed to fly a heading could be a problem ;)

which is why I’m scratching my head at the original question. Something a CFII should know, yes?
Yes. Must a moment of mental mix up between the proper answer and the drift I was seeing outside the windows.

If you did want the G3X to help fly the runway track, the easiest way is to turn on the autopilot or flight director and use TRK mode. I’m not sure if you can have the HSI depict a track with the flight director off, but that might be another option.

If you did want the G3X to help fly the runway track, the easiest way is to turn on the autopilot or flight director and use TRK mode. I’m not sure if you can have the HSI depict a track with the flight director off, but that might be another option.
Have yet to make use of the Track Mode with the GFC 500. I need to read up on that.

Have yet to make use of the Track Mode with the GFC 500. I need to read up on that.
Pretty straightforward. It changes the heading selection knob, and the bug on the HSI, to a track selection knob. When would you use it? When you want a track instead of a heading. One situation I can think of offhand - a non-RNAV ODP which gives headings. Sure, those headings are designed to account for pretty strong winds, but why not fly a track in that case and compensate for them? This is the whole description in the Pilot Guide (the photo is of a G5 not a G3X but they are basically the same).
upload_2023-3-4_10-50-30.png

Pretty straightforward. It changes the heading selection knob, and the bug on the HSI, to a track selection knob. When would you use it? When you want a track instead of a heading. One situation I can think of offhand - a non-RNAV ODP which gives headings. Sure, those headings are designed to account for pretty strong winds, but why not fly a track in that case and compensate for them? This is the whole description in the Pilot Guide (the photo is of a G5 not a G3X but they are basically the same).
View attachment 115482
The more I learn about the systems installed in our 182, I discover even more to learn.

Especially if I'm going to take the responsibility to teach it to others.

The more I learn about the systems installed in our 182, I discover even more to learn.

Best thing to do: Fly with other people who have similar avionics. You’ll see different ways of doing things that you can put into your own repertoire or teach to others.
Pretty straightforward. It changes the heading selection knob, and the bug on the HSI, to a track selection knob. When would you use it? When you want a track instead of a heading. One situation I can think of offhand - a non-RNAV ODP which gives headings. Sure, those headings are designed to account for pretty strong winds, but why not fly a track in that case and compensate for them?
Good example, right there. I hadn’t thought of that and will keep it in mind the next time I see an ODP like that.

I sometimes use track mode when I want to be on an N-mile base entry. It is also useful for avoiding or flying over specific things, like restricted airspace or a landmark (respectively).

It never stops. Teaching this stuff is a lot of what I do in owner aircraft and I still come across new things. Part is updates. Part is the amount of depth these systems have. Part is just not caring about a few features. As instructors we simply can't know everything any more than pilots can. But we can know enough that we can figure out what's going on.

Some of that is just exposure. The last lesson I gave was to a pilot who just had an upgrade. Dual G5s, GFC500, GTN750xi. He did a decent amount of preparation and understood the basics already. Mostly interested in VNAV - he told me he tried it and it didn't work. I had a pretty good idea why and we flew a fully coupled crossing restriction followed by an approach followed by the missed. The only thing he had to do was control throttle, prop, gear and flaps and hit TOGA for the missed. (Don't tell him it was the first time for me with a GFC500 :D)

Back