Fly by wire and EMP

brien23

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Brien
Most airliners today fly by wire, replaces the conventional manual flight controls of an aircraft with an electronic interface. (nuclear EMP or NEMP) is a burst of electromagnetic radiation created by a nuclear explosion military aircraft are hardened electronics to protect them, how protected if any are airliners or one nuke air burst and they drop like flies out of the sky?

If near the burst I suspect aircraft will drop like flies. The military once did EMP testing near ABQ on a giant wooden structure. It did not go well even for EMP hardened aircraft. The legacy F18 retained a mechanical backup system with EMP part of the reason. Distance is however your friend and EMP drops rapidly as you move away from the burst.

An enemy, setting off a nuclear weapon about 200 miles above the U.S. could create an EMP that would cover most of North America.
But, that's just the military threat.
A small EMP with a radius of under a kilometer can also be generated by combining high-voltage power sources with antennas that release this energy as electromagnetic waves.
Any day now we will be at the mercy of a single person who can shut down civilization as we know it with a home built device in the back of a 1962 Dodge Power Wagon,
Happy New Year.

Any day now we will be at the mercy of a single person who can shut down civilization as we know it with a home built device in the back of a 1962 Dodge Power Wagon,
I take solace in the fact that there can't be many 1962 Dodge Power Wagons left on the roads, so the security services should be able to keep an eye on them all.

So what will be the first indication of armageddon, that’s what I’ve always wondered.
Blinding flash?
200mph, 350°wind?
Or something more subtle like none of the electronics, no vehicles work?
Maybe it depends on radius.

So what will be the first indication of armageddon, that’s what I’ve always wondered.

Listen for an archangel and a trumpet.

For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first. I Thessalonians 4:16​

If there's an EMP big enough to do that kind of damage, being dead might be preferable to enduring the aftermath.

Most airliners today fly by wire, replaces the conventional manual flight controls of an aircraft with an electronic interface. (nuclear EMP or NEMP) is a burst of electromagnetic radiation created by a nuclear explosion military aircraft are hardened electronics to protect them, how protected if any are airliners or one nuke air burst and they drop like flies out of the sky?

They’re not at all protected. Neither are any vehicles built after about 1984. Neither are any of our national power grids. Happy new year.

Never seen any tests for civil aircraft equipment installs for EMP, but most electronic equipment installs for the last 20+ years require EMI testing for adverse affects. Was a time years ago when EMI caused some electronic aircraft systems to fail or trip by just flying close to large electric transmission cables.

I take solace in the fact that there can't be many 1962 Dodge Power Wagons left on the roads, so the security services should be able to keep an eye on them all.
So THAT'S why the Feds have staked out my driveway.
I meant a Ford F100 Long Bed. Yeah that's what they will use, a 1962 Ford F100 Long Bed, Not the Dodge. pttuui! pttuui!

I was hit by a lightning-induced EMP at my house. There was a massive "BOOM" and I thought the house or a nearby tree had been struck. I never found the site of the strike itself, but for the next two weeks I was finding fried electronics. It fried a LOT of stuff: a board in my TV, my A/V receiver, my desktop motherboard, my cable modem, the power supplies for my reclining couches, the controller board for my backup generator. It also welded the contacts on the alarm switches on my entry doors. This wasn't a surge from the grid. No breakers tripped, and my whole-house surge protector was unaffected. I just figured lightning had hit my power line somehow, but there was no damage to any structure or wiring. After a lot of Googling I concluded that it was an EMP from the lightning strike that induced current on my power lines, and my alarm wiring... Not that any of this has to do with Aviation...

Listen for an archangel and a trumpet.

For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trumpET of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first. I Thessalonians 4:16​

FTFY! Whew! You had me worried there a minute!

-Skip

I was hit by a lightning-induced EMP at my house. There was a massive "BOOM" and I thought the house or a nearby tree had been struck. I never found the site of the strike itself, but for the next two weeks I was finding fried electronics. It fried a LOT of stuff: a board in my TV, my A/V receiver, my desktop motherboard, my cable modem, the power supplies for my reclining couches, the controller board for my backup generator. It also welded the contacts on the alarm switches on my entry doors. This wasn't a surge from the grid. No breakers tripped, and my whole-house surge protector was unaffected. I just figured lightning had hit my power line somehow, but there was no damage to any structure or wiring. After a lot of Googling I concluded that it was an EMP from the lightning strike that induced current on my power lines, and my alarm wiring... Not that any of this has to do with Aviation...
My father lost a few electronics due to the same thing. The ones that hurt the most were two Pioneer Elite A/V Receivers, which were around $1.5-$2K/ea at the time. Had an uncle lose a plasma screen in a lightning strike as well . . . back when NO ONE had plasma screens. He had paid $15K for it a year prior to the strike, and by that time the insurance would only give him about $10K to compensate because prices had come down so quickly on flat screens by that time.

A neighbor lost just about everything electronic in his home to a lightning strike. The lightning hit the base of a tree in his front yard, and almost simultaneously there was an explosion on the side of his house. The electricity from the lightning had also struck a buried control box for the sprinkler system, gone up the wires to the main unit on the house, and into the house. The timer on the side of the house literally blew up; charred parts were lying 25 feet away. The tree’s roots were also practically destroyed and the tree was dead shortly afterward.

I was hit by a lightning-induced EMP at my house. There was a massive "BOOM" and I thought the house or a nearby tree had been struck. I never found the site of the strike itself, but for the next two weeks I was finding fried electronics. It fried a LOT of stuff: a board in my TV, my A/V receiver, my desktop motherboard, my cable modem
That's not EMP, just a high voltage surge through the lines. EMP is an airborne ElectroMagneticPulse.

At least from my understanding, the impact of the nuke's EMP is usually null. If you are close enough to be affected by the EMP, you are probably destroyed by the shockwave anyway.

A ham radio friend was disconnecting the antenna from his radio due to nearby lightning when there was a stike near his house. A ball of plasma came out the antenna cable and rolled across his desk and disappeared into an outlet.

Got his attention

At least from my understanding, the impact of the nuke's EMP is usually null. If you are close enough to be affected by the EMP, you are probably destroyed by the shockwave anyway.

Research Starfish Prime. Research Soviet Test 184. Optimum altitude is 300-400 nm high. Oddly, a bigger bomb is not better for a pure EMP attack. A nuke used for an actual targeted strike will produce emp, but even an air burst at 10,000 ft is too low for a serious Compton effect magnification to occur. But you’re correct, heat and shock wave and initial gamma and beta exposure will be your real problem for a “common” nuke.

In July 1962, the US carried out the Starfish Prime test, exploding a 1.44 Mt (6.0 PJ) bomb 400 kilometres (250 mi; 1,300,000 ft) above the mid-Pacific Ocean. This demonstrated that the effects of a high-altitude nuclear explosion were much larger than had been previously calculated. Starfish Prime made those effects known to the public by causing electrical damage in Hawaii, about 1,445 kilometres (898 mi) away from the detonation point, disabling approximately 300 streetlights, triggering numerous burglar alarms and damaging a microwave link.[

Back