Flue Season is here- I opt out of flue shots.

Yep. But you pointed out an exponential growth curve, which is not what I'm describing.

The only real question is will the growth be arrested soon enough (will the curve change direction fast enough) to avoid the curve being arrested due to overpopulation.

The answer is "not likely", mankind doesn't have that kind of discipline on the whole, and those communities that do take effective action are universally condemned by everyone else for those actions.

The answer is "not likely", mankind doesn't have that kind of discipline on the whole, and those communities that do take effective action are universally condemned by everyone else for those actions.

Again, you are wrong. Europe as a whole, and Japan, as well as other countries, show declining population without doing any actions that cause "condemnation". Cited in those references I shared with you in earlier threads.

You also neglected that modern farming also started in the 1800s which also allowed a larger population. There's a lot of things that occurred to support a larger population- better medicine (including vaccines), better living conditions (keeping sewage away from drinking water, for example), the use of energy sources other than wood. Does the earth have more carrying capacity? Perhaps. We've only started genetically engineering food, we are only now really exploring renewable energy sources. We also have people asking about the consequences of these new technologies, which we didn't do before. We may well find the consequences of these technologies are worse than the problems we solve.

Last edited:
The old hepatitis immune globulin was a large injection in the butt that hurt for days. I'm not even sure why we were given it during the first Gulf war.

We had to give those to ourselves, and could only get small syringes, so two jabs where necessary.

If you thought the gamma globulin was unpleasant, try the Typhus vaccine on for size. The first one knocks you on your ass with aches and pains, slight fever, and lethargy, and then you get four weeks to look forward to the second one (which turns out to be not nearly as bad).

life-expectancy-throughout-history-long-trend.gif

THATS where Al Gore got it from!!!

We've only started genetically engineering food, we are only now really exploring renewable energy sources. We also have a people asking about the consequences of these new technologies, which we didn't do before. We may well find the consequences of these technologies are worse than the problems we solve.

I am all for Genetic research that might make healthy foods more abundant and if proven safe production but if it is so safe then why is Monsanto spending so much money to keep it from being labeled as genetically altered foods? Something smells fishy.

Modern Farming - not to pick on farmers as they are stuck on the spinning wheel like hamsters in a cage but they over water to get high production which leads to reduced water acquirers. Sooner or later we will not be able to keep up and over water and we may not be able to do a reasonable amount of watering our crops as they all abused it until it was deficient. This will cause disruption in prices and availability of food.

I am all for Genetic research that might make healthy foods more abundant and if proven safe production but if it is so safe then why is Monsanto spending so much money to keep it from being labeled as genetically altered foods? Something smells fishy.

Modern Farming - not to pick on farmers as they are stuck on the spinning wheel like hamsters in a cage but they over water to get high production which leads to reduced water acquirers. Sooner or later we will not be able to keep up and over water and we may not be able to do a reasonable amount of watering our crops as they all abused it until it was deficient. This will cause disruption in prices and availability of food.
The Ogallala aquifer is dropping. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogallala_Aquifer

Actually, they want to do that because a lot of ignorant people use terms such as "frankenfoods" and make it sound like we will be poisoned by these foods.

For example, much of the genetically engineered plants include those that express Bt, which poisons certain insects; this protein is harmless to mammals with the possible exception (and I haven't seen any documentation on this) of an allergic reaction. These plants reduce the use of pesticides (weren't you expression concern about those too?).

The products of these plants are used for things such as cooking oil, ethanol, lactic acid, animal feed, and so forth where the Bt protein (and any DNA/RNA) is removed.

There is one issue with this particular genetic modification which can be mitigated with proper farming practice- insects can become resistant to the Bt toxin (same thing that happens in bacteria exposed to antibiotics), and the Bt crops get eaten by insects like any other, so there becomes no reason to continue planting these crops.

Over here in Nebraska, they do try to maintain the aquifers. They have a series of laws to preserve the water.

Edit- you are asking good questions but from the wrong angle. The questions of safety and efficacy should be asked, but not from the point of view that "they don't want labels- there must be something wrong". A better way is look at each genetic change and ask "what are the consequences of this change?"

Last edited:
Look at the references they used all back in 2006- we were coming off a 10 year drought when those were written. The Aquifer recharged itself the next several years, in fact it was mostly recharged in 2007. There was a drought last year and somewhat this year, but the aquifer seems to be Ok.

Yesterday's newspaper indicated that some counties were restricting new wells to ensure we don't deplete the aquifer because we did have a couple of dry years.

Virtually every domesticated plant strain is genetically modified.

Over thousands of years via largely hit and miss crossbreeding.

What's changed now is the ability to do it scientifically, in a much more targeted fashion, selecting desireable traits with less chance of undesirable ones tagging along for the ride.

Antibiotics, inhaler, and Mucinex. Let's hear it for acute Bronchitis. Yuck.

Look at the references they used all back in 2006- we were coming off a 10 year drought when those were written. The Aquifer recharged itself the next several years, in fact it was mostly recharged in 2007. There was a drought last year and somewhat this year, but the aquifer seems to be Ok.

Yesterday's newspaper indicated that some counties were restricting new wells to ensure we don't deplete the aquifer because we did have a couple of dry years.
That's good to know. I did not realize that it was that possible to recharge an aquifer so quickly.

That's good to know. I did not realize that it was that possible to recharge an aquifer so quickly.

Depends on the aquifer. Only the very shallow and rarely used top level aquifer in the Colorado Front Range is replenishable. Most wells are from the deeper Denver aquifer, and municipal wells capable of thousands of gallons an hour are from the even deeper Arapahoe, neither of which has any known method of replenishment. Estimates range from 100-500 years to deplete both completely.

Or bacterial pneumonia

Hasn't gotten that bad... yet. :)

I rarely take any drugs. I gave up and went to the Nurse Practitioner today. That'll give a feel for how bad I felt.

I gave my bod a week and it did what it could but I was tired of the elevated heart rate and low O2 sats. Heart rate stayed at 80 for two days straight and sat at 90-91 unless I made an effort to breathe deeply, and the higher sat didn't last long.

It was time to give the immune system a helping hand. A six tablet Z pack and the inhaler to let the poor chest relax a bit. Two hours after the Z and a hit on the inhaler, I fell asleep on the living room floor. That one hour nap is the best sleep I've had in a week.

Sometimes I'm too stubborn about the "no drugs" thing.

But I've learned when I hit the "I'm so tired I feel like tearing someone's head off", it's time. Heh.

Drug-Resistant TB Underdiagnosed
At least three-quarters of drug-resistant tuberculosis cases have not been detected, according to the World Health Organization.
http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/38027/title/Drug-Resistant-TB-Underdiagnosed/

The threat from a flu vaccine is trivial, the threat by the flu and other disease is horrendous.

Drug Resistant Tuberculosis a Public Health Crisis, Says WHO
http://www.weather.com/health/drug-resistant-tuberculosis-public-health-crisis-says-who-20131025

Tuberculosis killed 1.3 million worldwide in 2012: WHO
http://www.timeslive.co.za/lifestyl...osis-killed-1.3-million-worldwide-in-2012-who

WHO reports 3 million 'missed cases' of tuberculosis
http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2013/10/23/who-reports-3-millionmissedcasesoftuberculosis.html

London: Tuberculosis Cases Have Increased 50 Percent in Last Decade, Lancet Says
London is the tuberculosis capital of Western Europe, according to a recent article in the medical journal Lancet,
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/21/health/21global.html?_r=0

I couldn't help but noticed the spelling of "flue". Since this is a pilot's forum, shouldn't it be spelled "flew"? :D
Flew = the avian strain
Flue = the creosote strain
:goofy:

I just got my FLU shot this morning. I had to call around to find the Quardrivalent version. I was in and out in 10 min. for $25.

I am traveling this winter and the thought of being in the hospital in another country... scary.

Flue Season is here

I checked my flue and it seems very healthy...

I just got my FLU shot this morning. I had to call around to find the Quardrivalent version. I was in and out in 10 min. for $25.

I am traveling this winter and the thought of being in the hospital in another country... scary.

Depends on the country. European hospitals are generally just as good as US hospitals, but you probably wont get your own room. Better if you consider the bills will be exponentially smaller than in the US.

Depends on the country. European hospitals are generally just as good as US hospitals, but you probably wont get your own room. Better if you consider the bills will be exponentially smaller than in the US.

You get your own room in an American hospital now?

Not at my hospital unless you are in intensive care. The for profit company who purchased the hospital promised to upgrade the facility but now have pledged to build a new one but that will take years if it even happens.

I did last year. I had a kid last year, got three days in a great room that looked like a nice hotel room with some medical equipment. Of course, I got the insurance statements later and the hospital charged $14,000 for that privilege. All together, having a baby cost my insurance company $20,000, but they didn't charge me a dime. Oh, almost forgot the room service! The maternity ward gets free room service. That hospital is new within the past few years. There is something seriously wrong if a hospital charges so much for a healthy person to basically sleep there. There was absolutely nothing wrong with me or the baby.

Hospitals and maternity niceties seem to go in cycles. Even a couple years mes a difference. They make a lot of money delivering babies and anything they can do to get customers to their place instead of a competitor's helps $$$.

We had our first during one of those booms and were treated like royalty. A couple years later, same hospital, we were just a number.

Last edited:
I did last year. I had a kid last year, got three days in a great room that looked like a nice hotel room with some medical equipment. Of course, I got the insurance statements later and the hospital charged $14,000 for that privilege. All together, having a baby cost my insurance company $20,000, but they didn't charge me a dime. Oh, almost forgot the room service! The maternity ward gets free room service. That hospital is new within the past few years. There is something seriously wrong if a hospital charges so much for a healthy person to basically sleep there. There was absolutely nothing wrong with me or the baby.

You could have had your baby at the Four Seasons for a lot less. Depending where in the world you are, they may even have a staff physician.

You could have had your baby at the Four Seasons for a lot less. Depending where in the world you are, they may even have a staff physician.

But would the Four Seasons have had an anesthesiologist with the good drugs?

I have a funny story about the Four Seasons: a few years ago a friend of mine was going to Germany for the first time. She was concerned that her hotel had a funny name and it wouldn't be nice. Before her trip, she forwarded her itinerary and she was booked into Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten. She told me later it was quite nice.

I have a funny story about the Four Seasons: a few years ago a friend of mine was going to Germany for the first time. She was concerned that her hotel had a funny name and it wouldn't be nice. Before her trip, she forwarded her itinerary and she was booked into Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten. She told me later it was quite nice.

One of my first business trips (to Boulder Co) I was booked to stay at the Golden Buffalo. But I didn't know that. My itinerary showed the hotal as "Golden Buff"... um...

One of my first business trips (to Boulder Co) I was booked to stay at the Golden Buffalo. But I didn't know that. My itinerary showed the hotal as "Golden Buff"... um...

Better name than the old Westward Ho! in Vegas.

I went to our primary care doctor yesterday. Explained the many horrendous tales found on this site about flu shots. Behind doctor on wall plaque announcing that this doctor graduated top in the class at Johns Hopkins in the 80's . Doctor stared at me and quietly said......" Go down the hall and get your shot......NOW!" Who was I to believe!? What a tough decision! I got the shot.( same doctor explained last year that autism is NOT caused by vaccines, said this is garbage talk.)

Last edited:
Never had one. Haven't had flu in.....hmmm.....can't remember last time I had the flu.

Never had one. Haven't had flu in.....hmmm.....can't remember last time I had the flu.

I never got flu shots and I couldn't remember the last time I had gotten the flu (at least a decade) until Xmas last year.

Slammed me hard, down for a week, could hardly get out of bed. Returned to work but felt like utter death and crap for another two. Started to improve week three, was mostly back to normal a month after.

Nasty. I'm not a big fan of shots for nothing, but that SUCKED. I'll be getting the shot.

Back