Flue Season is here- I opt out of flue shots.

Malicious or dead link?

I won't.

I trust actual verifiable facts over some tinfoil hat website with an agenda, spouting repeatedly disproven claims as fact. Vaccines do not cause autism, and there is no repeatable evidence that they cause any of the disorders that site claims in its second paragraph. The guy who originally made that claim was a former physician named Wakefield, who "forgot" to disclose he was funded by a personal injury law firm and falsified data -- even his coauthors have abandoned him, which is highly unusual in scientific circles.

Many, many, many more people die from lack of vaccines than have ever been endangered by them. Even for the flu. And you don't just endanger yourself by carrying a virus around. You might be responsible for killing someone who can't take the vaccine due to age, allergy, or other illness. Symptoms are not always present while you are contagious.

Last edited:
I get the shot when I remember. I think it helps. Staying in good physical condition is probably the best way to prevent illness. I rarely get sick when I am I decent condition (I try to run a few days a week).

I don't get them

Just vaccinations for things that will kill me, hep, yellow fever, typhoid, etc

Best thing to do to stay healthy is be healthy, I eat right, I'm active and seldom get sick and when I do it's a slight runny nose/caugh for a few days and that's that.

Read up on diffrent types of immunities, I skip flu etc vacs

Wife's hospital has a new policy, all employees that interact with patients that do not get flu shots have to wear a mask. Wonder if they will make special scarlet masks so we can all tell who the flu vectors are....

I have not had a flu shot since 1984, the last year the Army could require that I do so.

The last time I had the flu was around 1982-ish... shortly after I had a flu shot. never once since then.

My wife works in health care and doesn't get flu shots, so she'll be wearing a mask from November to April or some such ridiculous thing. I don't think she's had the flu in the past 20 or 30 years, either.

I despise uninformed tripe. Vaccines have saved us from some of the world's worst scourges. I haven't yet received the flu vaccine this year but wouldn't demure, I just haven't got around to it. I haven't that much exposure so it isn't that big a priority, though as I get older it'd priority will increase. I certainly wouldn't forgo it because of some paranoid idiot ravings of folks who spout lots but know little.

A LOT more people have died from influenza than ever sickened from vaccines. If you think you've had the flu but didn't die or wish you were dead you didn't have the flu. More people died of a flu epidemic in WWI than bullets, bombs and gas combined.

Already got my flu shot for the season. Inoculation has been around over 300 years.

According to "The Epic History of Biology" by Anthony Serafini:

"Science would not be able to take even the most meager steps toward controlling smallpox until 1701, when the Italian physician Giacomo Pylarini single-handedly invented the field of immunology by inoculating several children in Constantinople with a primitive vaccine against smallpox; historians differ about the true success of his project.

By 1717, the wealthy English letter writer and amateur naturalist Lady Mary Wortley Montagu had introduced the practice of inoculation to England from Turkey, even venturing to have her own children vaccinated."
"In any event, a few years later, the American physician Zabdiel Boylston introduced a version of Pylarini's vaccine to America while the ravaging contagion was tearing into the city of Boston. So far as historians can tell, the results appear to have been favorable."

Last edited:
I have not had a flu shot since 1984, the last year the Army could require that I do so.

The last time I had the flu was around 1982-ish... shortly after I had a flu shot. never once since then.

My wife works in health care and doesn't get flu shots, so she'll be wearing a mask from November to April or some such ridiculous thing. I don't think she's had the flu in the past 20 or 30 years, either.

Had the same thing happen in Army reserves (g). They demanded the entire unit get vaccinated for unit readiness. I wasn't there when they did it. Entire unit got the flu and I didn't. I'm sure things have improved since then. I don't generally bother, but may.

Best,

Dave

I despise uninformed tripe. Vaccines have saved us from some of the world's worst scourges. I haven't yet received the flu vaccine this year but wouldn't demure, I just haven't got around to it. I haven't that much exposure so it isn't that big a priority, though as I get older it'd priority will increase. I certainly wouldn't forgo it because of some paranoid idiot ravings of folks who spout lots but know little.

A LOT more people have died from influenza than ever sickened from vaccines. If you think you've had the flu but didn't die or wish you were dead you didn't have the flu. More people died of a flu epidemic in WWI than bullets, bombs and gas combined.
I'm with him. Most people who believe they had an adverse reaction to a vaccine are wrong about the cause of their symptoms.

From a real study, not rampant speculation:

BACKGROUND:
Concern about side effects is a barrier to influenza vaccination. This randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial assessed side effects following vaccination among healthy working adults.
METHODS:
Healthy working adults were recruited during October and November 1994 and were randomized to receive influenza vaccine or placebo injections. Local and systemic symptoms during the week following the injection were evaluated through structured telephone interviews.
425 received a placebo and 424 received influenza vaccine

CONCLUSIONS:
Influenza vaccination of healthy working adults is not associated with higher rates of systemic symptoms when compared with placebo injection. These findings should be useful to physicians and other health care providers as they counsel patients to take advantage of an important opportunity for disease prevention and health protection.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8687262

Last edited:
Had the same thing happen in Army reserves (g). They demanded the entire unit get vaccinated for unit readiness. I wasn't there when they did it. Entire unit got the flu and I didn't. I'm sure things have improved since then. I don't generally bother, but may.

Best,

Dave

So your entire unit was hospitalized and a couple died. That's what happens in an outbreak of influenza. Odds are they coincidentally picked up a picornovirus from a lady of rentable virtue. You didn't get it because, well you just said it, you weren't there.

If somebody does not want to get vaccinated then fine by me. I get annoyed when they spout off ridiculous reasons why vaccinations don't work or how they make you sick. Some of us believe that science trumps gossip.

This feels more like a spin zone topic -- but until someone wants to show me peer reviewed evidence that links autism and other evils to vaccines I am going to keep supporting them.

Actually, I believe that anyone who does not immunize their child should be charged with child endangerment. It does not only endanger their children, but the children who are allergic to vaccines who depend on communities to be free from ailments.

So your entire unit was hospitalized and a couple died. That's what happens in an outbreak of influenza. Odds are they coincidentally picked up a picornovirus from a lady of rentable virtue. You didn't get it because, well you just said it, you weren't there.

That or a few got some of the symptoms of the flu, and others saw that and had in their mind that they were going to get the symptoms too and just like that they did.

If you think you've had the flu but didn't die or wish you were dead you didn't have the flu.

This.

I had the flu once and I wished I was dead. I also remember one of my older friends being sick for weeks and taking about 3 months for a full recovery. I'm getting a shot this year.

Last edited:
This feels more like a spin zone topic -- but until someone wants to show me peer reviewed evidence that links autism and other evils to vaccines I am going to keep supporting them.

Actually, I believe that anyone who does not immunize their child should be charged with child endangerment. It does not only endanger their children, but the children who are allergic to vaccines who depend on communities to be free from ailments.
This subject might be a little controversial but not really SZ material. You are taking the smart approach to value evidence over hysteria. The autism immunization myth has been thoroughly debunked. The original study linking autism to the MMR vaccine was fabricated and the author was discredited.

It all started with bad science. The now-debunked theory that autism is caused by the common immunizations nearly all children receive beginning in infancy began with a fabricated piece of research, a 1998 study published—and later retracted—in the journal Lancet. In 2010, Great Britain stripped Andrew Wakefield, the lead author of the study, of his medical license. An investigation had deemed his research an elaborate fraud. http://news.nationalgeographic.com/...n=20131016_rw_membership_n1p_us_se_w#finished

Not to be nitpicky, but shouldn't you call a Heating and Air company if you suspect a flue problem?

:eek:) Shouldn't someone correct the Title of the thread?

HR

Why? It is indeed flue season, or nearly so. It's a CO risk (and rather unpleasant) if you leave it closed with the fireplace operating.

I'm not aware of anyone getting shot for that, though.

I still do not get flu shots, even after getting H1N1 a few years ago. It sucked, but still.

I refuse to get them because I always get sick. I know the shot cannot make you sick, that's pretty much been proven. But hospitals can make you sick, and sitting around with a bunch of people waiting for a shot is pretty much a guarantee that you're sitting around with at least some that already have the flu.

No thanks. 1 flu in 20 years works for me :)

I still do not get flu shots, even after getting H1N1 a few years ago. It sucked, but still.

I refuse to get them because I always get sick. I know the shot cannot make you sick, that's pretty much been proven. But hospitals can make you sick, and sitting around with a bunch of people waiting for a shot is pretty much a guarantee that you're sitting around with at least some that already have the flu.

You can get flu shots at CVS these days.

Sometimes even at work.

No need to go to a hospital.

I used to get influenza every 3rd or 4th year. Been taking the flu shot for the last 20 and haven't had it a single time since.

But hospitals can make you sick, and sitting around with a bunch of people waiting for a shot is pretty much a guarantee that you're sitting around with at least some that already have the flu.

A hospital is not the usual place to get a flu shot. There should be pharmacies in your area where you can get them.

Got my influenza vaccination in the lunchroom at work last week (company paid). A cute nurse sure helps the sign-up numbers.

Most of the drug stores near me offer it for walk ins. You shouldn't need to go to a clinic.

I wonder how many kids Jenny McCarthy has killed?

I got a flu shot at my last general physical exam. I didn't want it but the nurse stuck needle in anyway so I got one. Never had any ill effects. Except I suspect it's really a tracking microchip put there by the government. I'm getting followed by an abnormal number of black sedans lately.

Rode our bikes to the local supermarket pharmacy last week - $20 each and got the vaccine plus a 10% coupon off a grocery order. Will wait til the holidays and use it then - making back our $20.

During the course of the ride, it was 82F and bright sunshine - so we rode another 5 miles outside in the sun - getting sun and exercise.

You're certai9nly correct; I misspoke. They all became ill and had some bug for about a week or more. Don't know what it was, but the entire unit that took shots to be deployment ready, was home ill; I wasn't. You were also incorrect in your assertion about what caused it. This was Army reserves here in the States and no ladies were rented by the unit and I resent the accusation that all Army units as a unit engage in that endeavor. A few members may have, but that's always the case no matter where.

Best,

Dave

Got my influenza vaccination in the lunchroom at work last week (company paid). A cute nurse sure helps the sign-up numbers.

And he jiggled my memory a bit, too.

I went over to the center clinic and got my free jab. Then asked the nurse about aviation medicals, as they are kinda expensive. If I were a civil servant, I could have it, but she WANTS the practice and is advocating to provide them for contractors. That's a nice answer!

Really, really painless. Walk over to clinic. Answer four questions. Jab. Band-aid. That's it. Took 10 minutes to walk there and maybe 30 seconds to get it done.

My insurance covers them, so they're free. If they're free, why not?

:rolleyes:

I get mine free at work and I need to show up at work once in awhile to let them know I'm still alive...

I got my vaccination last week at my drug store. Aetna covered it. Would have been about $15 otherwise.

I'm 64, and so in a high risk age group. I could conceivably die if I got the flu, so it seems to be the rational choice.

Anyone choosing to go unvaccinated has got to accept the possibility that they may be a vector for someone else getting the flu. They may have mild or even no symptoms, but a child or an older relative could actually die because they chose not to be vaccinated.

It's a free country (for now) but getting vaccinated sure seems to be the responsible thing to do - especially since there's minuscule risk or cost and the benefits are essentially life-saving.

When I related the story above, didn't mean to leave the impression flu shots were bad. I think they're a wonderful advance to make life better and avoid a dreaded disease. Still, they are developing a treatment for this year without quite knowing what strain will appear. I should get one and didn't mean to leave the impression I won't. I think they found the shot guns the military used years ago could carry bugs from one patient to another. I'm sure that's been improved.

Best,

Dave

Same here. Nothing to lose by getting one. I have gotten one every year for at least thirty years. There are a lot of bugs out there and being cooped up inside in the winter it is easy to get some of them. I think most people don't even know what the flu is, so they get something else and all of a sudden they think they got the flu.

They are not free.

You are paying for them - and paying more for them than if the marketplace worked and you could buy them for $8 in a competitive market.

Your insurer pays $10-12 for them, instead of $8. And bills it to your employer - who pays a higher premium for it - and results in lower overall employment.

Its not free.

Back