Flu shot? shingles

Discussion in 'Medical Topics' started by saddletramp, Dec 15, 2017.

1. saddletramp

saddletramp Pre-takeoff checklist PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    saddletramp
    I did my second class medical renewal in September & all was fine. My dear wife however, insisted that I have my annual physical with our family doctor "just in case" All was fine.

My doctor insisted that I have a flu shot. He's given me one for the last five or so years.

He also gave me a prescription for a shot for shingles. I'm not too sure if I need that one.

How many of you do the flu shot? Shingle shot?

2. murphey

murphey Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    murphey
    If you had chicken pox in the past, shingles shot is highly recommended. There's a new one out that's 90% effective at prevention.

3. Clark1961

Clark1961 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Throttle
    I get a flu shot every year. The cost/benefit/risk analysis is pretty simple. Cost is near zero, benefit is preventing a week or more lost to illness, risk is nearly zero since it’s a dead virus vaccine. There’s some discomfort with the shot.

Last time I talked to doc about shingles vaccine he was dismissive because of reported effectiveness was below 50%. I’ve known a few folks who had shingles and it doesn’t sound like fun. Maybe the new vaccine is better.

4. X3 Skier

X3 Skier Pattern Altitude PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Geezer
    Had both. Daughter had shingles and it wasn’t nice. Get the flu shot every year.

Cheers

5. Velocity173

Velocity173 Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Velocity173
    Flu shot required for work every year and they pay.

Pharmacy this year said Shingles not until 55 so I got awhile before I need that one.

6. deonb

deonb Pattern Altitude PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    deonb
    Had Shingles 10 years ago. Seriously considered a nerve block even at the risk of death. Luckily it cleared up that week.

If there is anything you can do to even try to prevent it you should.

iflyvfr, wrbix, JScarry and 1 other person like this.
  7. kyleb

kyleb En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Drake the Outlaw
    I had shingles at 49. Unless there is a downside, I'd say get the shot now, rather than later.

wrbix likes this.
  8. NoHeat

NoHeat En-Route PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    wrbix likes this.
  9. mscard88

mscard88 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    Flu shot every year, have had the shingles shot also.

10. wrbix

wrbix Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Pilot Lite
    OK, here's the deals:
    - flu shot, although somewhat less effective this year than most - it can provide protection agsinst contracting influenza, lessen its intensity; and in my mind most importantly, the more people receive it the less likely an influenza epidemic to occur (public health concern). Someone here will be along shortly with their N=1 anecdote that the shot gave them the flu, etc, etc - pay attention to the science, not them.
    - shingles vaccine - approximately 30% of adults will have an attack of shingles in their lifetime if not vaccinated, not infrequently with significant morbidity; the current vaccine (one shot) IS indeed only about 50% effective, but running the numbers is still highly recommended; the new vaccine (two shots) is, according to my PharmD friend , expected on shelves in January with approx 90% reported efficacy. I've gotten the old shot and will be first in line for the second shots. Someone here will be along shortly with some BS conspiracy theory involving Big Pharma and shingles vaccine

11. rk911

rk911 Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    rk911
    i pass on the flu shot every year...’they’ always seem to guess wrong about the strain. a buddy and my father-in-lawhad shingles a few years and i did not want to go thru that agony so both my wife and i did the shingles vaccine.

12. Rushie

Rushie Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Rushie
    I never get the flu shot. The flu bugs change every year and the vaccine manufactures are always chasing them and trying to guess which will be the ones that matter. They give you misleading statistics like it is 50% effective against a certain virus but don't tell you that your flu might not be that particular virus. It also is less effective in the elderly which is the exact population most at risk for complications of the flu. Possibly getting the vaccine every year might have adverse health consequences and there are risks such as guillaine barre syndrome. Other countries are finding these problems but we cannot do such studies in the U.S. because the government insists everyone get vaccinated, and it's a big money maker for the drug companies which being a capitalist I have no problem with per se but after finding out about the very corrupt connections between certain politicians and drug companies now, I do not trust the recommendation to get a flu shot every year to actually be in my best interest.

The shingles on the other hand I did get. It also has questionable effectiveness at preventing shingles altogether (not much better than 50%) but if you do get it the risk of post hermetic neuralgia is reduced. That is the real problem with shingles - you do not want that- and so if the vaccine reduces the chance of that even a little I am going for it. Having said that the best weapon against shingles is to keep a supply of valacyclovir or equivalent in your medicine cabinet and begin treatment stat if you break out in shingles.

13. Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Light and Sporty Guy
    You don't want to be the guy sitting there with a shingles outbreak wishing that you had gotten around to getting the shot.

Even your clothes hurt.

Kevin Brown, deonb and wrbix like this.
  14. murphey

murphey Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    murphey
    My neighborhood drug pusher (also PhD pharmacology) and my GP recommend the new 2x shingles shot. I had the old style about 5+ yrs ago. Will be getting the new one.

wrbix likes this.
  15. Skip Miller

Skip Miller En-Route PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Skip Miller
    Herpetic. Spell check hath struck!

-Skip

16. steingar

steingar Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    steingar
    A colleague of mine got shingles in her face. Destroyed her eye and facial muscles, now she looks like a cross between Moshe Dayan and Sylvester Stallone. I should get the damn shot.

17. Rushie

Display Name:

Display name:
    Rushie
    Indeed. I know I typed it correctly. Autocorrect trying to do my thinking for me again.

18. Rushie

Display Name:

Display name:
    Rushie
    Yep! I've read what it can do to the eye. Viruses are horrible evil little life forms.

19. JScarry

JScarry Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    JScarry
    My local grocery store gives a 10% discount on grocery purchases when you get your flu shot there. Thanks to Obamacare, preventive medicine is covered by your insurance plan, so there is no additional out-of-pocket expense for you. It takes about ten minutes to fill out the form and get the shot. So I basically get paid at a rate of $120/hour to get mine. Sometimes I have a day or so of soreness, but it’s not bad. I’m around a lot of older people, so if I can reduce the chances of them dying of the flu—and get paid for it—it’s worth it to me.

wrbix likes this.
  20. Rykymus

Rykymus Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Rykymus
    Unless you're in a risk category for dying from the flu, it's a waste. They are always just guessing at which strain it's going to be anyway, and if you look at the number of different strains, well, your odds in Vegas are probably better. I think it's just another scheme by big pharma to pull more money out of your pocket, even if it is only a few bucks. My opinion is that the less big pharma is able to get into you, the better off you are. Besides, having the flu isn't the end of the world. Just a few days staying home and resting, watching movies on the TV.

Now, shingles is a different story. But only if you've had chicken pox. My father had shingles, and it was not fun. If I had ever had chicken pox, I'd be getting the shingles vaccine without a doubt.

21. Everskyward

Everskyward Administrator Management Council Member PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Everskyward
    I got both at my physical about a month ago. Didn’t see any downside to either.

22. Skip Miller

Skip Miller En-Route PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Skip Miller
    If that is your idea of the flu, then you and your family never had the full-on flu.

Agreed!

-Skip

wrbix likes this.
  23. Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Light and Sporty Guy
  24. wrbix

Display Name:

Display name:
    Pilot Lite
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  25. James331

James331 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    James331
    I don't do shots for the sake of shots, I also tend to get sick less than lots of my friends.

Unless it could kill or maim me I don't like to get things injected into my body, but stuff like yellow fever and the like, I'll get those shots.

26. Everskyward

Everskyward Administrator Management Council Member PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Everskyward
    I usually get shots when they are recommended, and I also tend to get sick less than many of my friends, so that is not a good way to judge.

wrbix likes this.
  27. wrbix

Display Name:

Display name:
    Pilot Lite
    .....but think of the children!
    Seriously, the more vaccination penetrates a population, less risk to population in general, especially the vulnerable and frail.
    It is not all about you.

JScarry likes this.
  28. wrbix

Display Name:

Display name:
    Pilot Lite
    Agree wholeheartedly. People need to stop making decisions on basis of N=1

JScarry likes this.
  29. James331

James331 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    James331
    When it comes to putting stuff into my body, yes, it IS all about me.

But if you want to get shots to "protect" yourself from me, that's your right.

Again, for the gnarly stuff I'm vaccinated, with the traveling I've done Im probably better vaccinated against the real killer stuff than most Americans, that said I don't get injections just because someone says jump, and with my track record of health what I'm doing has historically worked for my body, so it's going to take a MUCH better sales pitch.

30. wrbix

Display Name:

Display name:
    Pilot Lite
    OK - a hypothetical: you have children and a high morbidity/highly contagious measles epidemic is spreading worldwide, would you support the decision of your child's schoolmate's parents to refuse to have their child vaccinated for same and insist they continue to attend school?

31. rk911

Display Name:

Display name:
    rk911
    I support the right of a parent to do what he/she believes is in the best interest of their child. but I also strongly believe that if those parents want their child to interact with my children (all of whom are hypothetical), your children, anyone else in a public setting then those children should have the vaccinations required by law. the wife and I have had the shingles vax a few years back and will ask about the newer vax when we see our doc in a week or so. we both do not get the flu vax for reasons previously stated but would do so if required by law or exigent circumstances.

32. wrbix

Display Name:

Display name:
    Pilot Lite
    Certainly it is everyone's right to decline vaccinations that are beneficial to the public health, but sleep well at night if/when the influenza pandemic occurs, killing many particularly the frail and those less well served by our health care system.
    <shaking head and shuffling off, again>

33. frfly172

frfly172 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    ron keating
    Have had all the shots ,for old people.

wrbix likes this.
  34. Anymouse

Anymouse Pattern Altitude PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Total Stud Bush Pilot
    I'm on my 3rd CDC card in the last 13 years.

James331 likes this.
  35. rk911

Display Name:

Display name:
    rk911
  36. Clark1961

Display Name:

Display name:
    Throttle
    Maybe not so hypothetical. As I recall a Rubella vaccination was required for school attendance sometime in the early-to-mid 70s. I think there was an opt out clause but then the children could be required to not attend school. I'm sure laws varied by state. Anyway we all had to line up and get stuck by the vaccination gun sorta like the ones used to treat cattle (hey, it was farm country). I'm sure there was no chance of a dirty needle with those guns (sarcasm there folks).

37. Clark1961

Display Name:

Display name:
    Throttle
    vaccination record - handy if yer traveling a lot and to places that require specific vaccinations. I've got an old one around here somewhere...

38. rk911

Display Name:

Display name:
    rk911
    thanks.

39. Anymouse

Anymouse Pattern Altitude PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Total Stud Bush Pilot
    What he said. Also called a yellow card.

When traveling to Burkina Faso, all the disembarking passengers had to show their shot record, proving they had a yellow fever shot, before heading to passport control. I haven't run into any other places that required a shot card to be shown upon arrival, but I have had to send copies of it in to get a visa.

40. ktup-flyer

ktup-flyer Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    ktup-flyer
    I’ve gotten the flu once and it was the same year I got the flu shot. Everyone in my household got the flu this year except me and 3 of them had shots.