Flu shot poll

Did you get a flu shot?

• I got a flu shot this year; within days I got sick (doesn't have to be flu - just ill)

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • I got a flu shot this year and feel great - no side effects

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • I got no flu shot at all

Votes: 45 75.0%

• Total voters

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
I got a flu shot on Tuesday and by Thursday could tell something was brewing. Friday I felt crappy as the day progressed and by the next morning (yesterday) I was a full-blown mouth breather. I feel like **** this morning but it may be because I took Nyquil twice last night - once at 9 PM and then again at 2 AM when I woke up from the effects of the first one.

So here is my poll.

ps. I've never gotten a flu shot before, because I've always heard you can get sick after taking it.

Last edited:
I have gotten sick after flu shots, I have also gotten the flu sometime during the flu season after getting a flu shot. The vaccine is based on a best guess as to what strain is going to be encountered. I just do not feel it is worth it and have stopped getting the flu shots. I will not get the H1N1 shot at all. That whole thing is a mess of fear-mongering paranoia.

I'm getting mine on Thursday. I had a slight cold earlier (thanks to my little germ-bomb bringing home something from first grade) but mostly gone now.

I've never gotten sick after the shot in the last 7 years, and only gotten the flu once.

I haven't gotten my flu shot yet. Probably will not get H1N1 flu shot as I am in the age-category that is told to skip it. It is common to get sick following any vaccination, but it doesn't last as long as the flu, so it is worth it.

I don't normally get a flu shot; may start when I get old <g>
One year in the Army Reserves, the CO mandated all members get a flu shot. Medics manned the shot guns and they unit marched through. I asked to go to my doctor because I was taking allergy shots and wanted to make sure there wasn't a problem. Two days later, I was the only one without the flu. Never heard another work about it, but did have to be on call for the battalion while the CO was out.

Since that event, I haven't been a fan of flu shots. They all say they are better now, but if you read up on in, they don't know exactly what to treat for when the vaccine is prepared. Many times, what one is immunized for is not the correct strain. Still, I know folks that claim it has really helped them.

If I get the flu, I take a couple days off and suffer through day time television.

Best,

Dave

I have gotten sick after flu shots, I have also gotten the flu sometime during the flu season after getting a flu shot. The vaccine is based on a best guess as to what strain is going to be encountered. I just do not feel it is worth it and have stopped getting the flu shots. I will not get the H1N1 shot at all. That whole thing is a mess of fear-mongering paranoia.

+1

Got one in college, knocked me flat in the doctor's office (OK, so I'm allergic to needles) and I haven't had one since. And I can't remember the last time I got the flu, either.

+1

Got one in college, knocked me flat in the doctor's office (OK, so I'm allergic to needles) and I haven't had one since. And I can't remember the last time I got the flu, either.
I think one of things that works against guys like you and I is our travel. We get exposed to all kinds of bugs and spend inordinate hours locked up with people in rooms and tubes with poorly recirculated air.

I just get a bit of soreness near the injection site for a day or too. I get more sore doing hard physical labor or sleeping in a poor posture so I don't count it as a side effect.

Actually, they pick what they beleive are 3 common strains that are likely to circulate. Sometimes, they do guess wrong; this year's H1N1, for example is the "wrong" H1N1 strain. They have to guess far in advance because there is a lead time to produce the vaccine. Beyond this lead time is that time requires in isolating the correct strains.

A good data source is the Center for Disease Control-
Flu information here:
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/
FAQ here:
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/fluvaccine.htm

never had a flu shot, and i havent had the flu for at least the last 10 or more years.

I think one of things that works against guys like you and I is our travel. We get exposed to all kinds of bugs and spend inordinate hours locked up with people in rooms and tubes with poorly recirculated air.

+1. I ended up with bacterial pneumonia after one flight, and have caught a number of flu-like/cold bugs on others.

It works both ways, though, since we're exposed to so many different bugs, I think it improves the immume system. When I stopped heavy travel for 12-18 months, I ended up getting sick more often than when I am traveling heavily.

One of the worst cases of flu I had gotten was when I went to work as a civilian contractor at an Air Force base. The area I worked in was a classic Dilbert'esque cubicle farm. I figured with all those people crammed together and people coming and going from all over the world, I was doomed from the start. Nothing like having to call in sick when you have been on the the job for two weeks.

I do get a flu shot, but only because they offer it for free at work. Otherwise I would not bother.

I got harpooned a few times as a kid and was down for the count fairly soon afterward so I quit getting those shots. shot=down, no shot = ok, shot again=down, shot=down, no shot = ok. Flu people hug me no problem, shot=down. There was a well established pattern so I just thought it through logically.

I'm usually around quite a few people that get sick every year and never have a problem. I've been sick exactly once in the last 20+ years. I got the plague or whatever it was going around last spring and was so sick I would have had to get better to die. It was horrible.

IMHO: Wash your hands, keep a buffer between you and plague ridden individuals whenever possible, wash your hands, tell plague or sick behaving people to stay away from you until they get better, wash your hands, be aware of what you're handling and whether it's likely been handled by plague people, wash your hands. If too many people are coming in to work/school sick, call in sick for a couple days and enjoy a long weekend playing in the park, wash your hands, stay active thus more healty than sitting around all day. Don't live in a super sanitary world all your life - eating a cookie you dropped on the ground or accidentally swallowing half a river of water while swimming won't kill you. It just keeps the immune system operating and up to date. And did I mention washing your hands? Yea, do that too.

It works both ways, though, since we're exposed to so many different bugs, I think it improves the immume system.
My immune system feels like a Chicago expressway. It is constantly being improved!!! I would just like to get the benefits of that improvement for a while without have to start on the next round of improvements! :wink2:

I don't get flu shots. I'd rather we actually fight off the flu so that it doesn't get worse every year, personally.

You cannot get the flu from a flu shot, it is impossible. It IS, however, very possible to get the flu from the doctor's office where everyone sick with the flu (and all other manner of diseases) is going, touching doornobs and pens and bathroom faucet handles. The shot isn't effective for all strains and it isn't effective immediately, but exposure to the disease is.

You cannot get the flu from a flu shot, it is impossible. It IS, however, very possible to get the flu from the doctor's office where everyone sick with the flu (and all other manner of diseases) is going, touching doornobs and pens and bathroom faucet handles. The shot isn't effective for all strains and it isn't effective immediately, but exposure to the disease is.

I have gotten the flu shot every year now for well over a decade. BUT.. I work in healthcare and take care of sick people, so I consider it cheap insurance. I've had the flu twice in my life.. once in early adulthood.

I have already gotten the seasonal flu shot at work. It takes two weeks to become effective, and as others have said.. it is the "best guess" as to which strain is going to circulate. Last year it was a bad guess. I was lucky.

As the above poster said, it IS impossible to get the flu from the SHOT.. which is dead/killed virus.

The nasal spray, however, is a weakened live virus and its possible to get infected instead of just inoculated. As a result, the nasal spray is not recommended for the very young, the very old or those with compromised immune systems - the very people who need protection the most.

As for H1N1.. that is mostly what is going around right now. If you have flu, 90% or greater chance you got the H1N1.

I will be getting the H1N1 as soon as its available at work, and would recommend doing so if its available to you and there aren't any real reasons not to have it. Because having the flu sucks.

I don't get flu shots. I'd rather we actually fight off the flu so that it doesn't get worse every year, personally.

Thats not how it works.

And thousands of people die of flu and flu related illnesses every year, even when there ISN'T a pandemic scare going on.

Haven't had any shots since I was in diapers. Haven't gotten a true flu either. Why would I change anything?

I never got a flu shot until about 10 years ago. I can't say I ever had the flu either although I don't know how you distinguish it from a bad cold. When I started working someplace where they have a flu shot clinic every year I started getting the shots. On one occasion I got sick after getting the shot but I think it was just coincidence. This year I missed the free clinic so I don't know what I will do. I don't think it's such a big deal either way if you are of at least average health.

Thats not how it works.

And thousands of people die of flu and flu related illnesses every year, even when there ISN'T a pandemic scare going on.
I agree with Doggtyred...immunizations have stopped a number of diseases such as smallpox.

If I'm immunized against this year's flu, I won't be a carrier to other people, so I don't contribute to spreading it around. That reduces the outbreak so it doesn't get worse.

Only had the shots a couple of times, and not yet this year, but I've never gotten sick afterwards. I was sick this past week, and since that reminded me how much being sick on the road SUCKS, I'm gonna try to get the shot this year. Probably at Wal-Mart. (Seriously.)

I've truly had the flu only once, and I could barely make it across the room to the bathroom without collapsing. Since then I've tried to get the shot every year, and haven't gotten sick from it yet. Plus, the past 8 years it's been available at work relatively inexpensively.

A friend of mine has recently recovered from H1N1. We literally did not expect him to live, and that's not hyperbole. The doctors were giving him less than a 50/50 chance. Let's just say that I have respect for what the flu can do.

I've truly had the flu only once, and I could barely make it across the room to the bathroom without collapsing. Since then I've tried to get the shot every year, and haven't gotten sick from it yet. Plus, the past 8 years it's been available at work relatively inexpensively.

A friend of mine has recently recovered from H1N1. We literally did not expect him to live, and that's not hyperbole. The doctors were giving him less than a 50/50 chance. Let's just say that I have respect for what the flu can do.

Holy Cow Grant. Glad he made it.

I get a flu shot every year. The 1 year my wife and I didn't we got the flu bad.....
This year though my wife brought home the H1N1 from the hospital where she works....wasn't too bad for us and our 2 yr old, but was definitely a nasty chest type flu that lasts for weeks. We still got our flu shot and plan to get the h1n1 shot just in case it covers any mutations.

The only side effects I get from the shots are mild muscle soreness in the injection area.

I have tried them, stopped. They might be great for populations, but my immune system doesn't like additional stimulus....and I am so isolated from crowds I feel low risk.

I like CDC for things like this, they can usually plow through the rumors:

http://cdc.gov/h1n1flu/update.htm

so far, I have not seen the hoped-for strong counterpoint to stories such as this woman paralyzed by flu shot explaining that the today's vaccine will not do the same.

One of our EAA members is an epidemiologist - she's first in line for flu shot, and as soon as the H1N1 shot is available, she's there to get it.

Can somone quote george carlin on Immune systems and raw sewage? I cant find it!!!

Change my vote from "I got no flu shot at all." to "I got mine today."

Ah thats nuttin, try spend an hour at the county prision visting a client. Lets just say I have a lot of purell in my glove box.:yikes:

so far, I have not seen the hoped-for strong counterpoint to stories such as this woman paralyzed by flu shot explaining that the today's vaccine will not do the same.

Guillen-Barre Syndrome (which without looking at the link, is what I'm presuming the link is referring to) is a rare, but still significant, risk. I've only seen 3 cases of it in 10 years of nursing adults in critical care/ER.

More people will die of flu than will die of GBS. GBS is survivable, but may have lingering side effects, and will have a prolonged convalescence..

Nothing is without risk. You make an informed decision. If you physically cannot tolerate the vaccine, the decision's been made for you already - no shot, take your chances.

Ah thats nuttin, try spend an hour at the county prision visting a client. Lets just say I have a lot of purell in my glove box.:yikes:

Purell wont keep you from catching Tuberculosis, my friend. An N95 respirator might, though.

I agree with Doggtyred...immunizations have stopped a number of diseases such as smallpox.

I've truly had the flu only once, and I could barely make it across the room to the bathroom without collapsing.

A lot of what people describe as "getting the flu" is actually a cold or other virus. Saying "I was sick for a couple days" tells me immediately that what you had was NOT influenza.
True influenza is a very nasty virus and will knock your ass down for a week or more.

H1N1 is not a scare. It is real, and it is attacking young (15-50), healthy adults. The hospitals and ICUs here are filling up, and the trajectory is worrisome, especially since we are not even into flu season yet.
In Australia (our summer, their winter and flu season), the country *ran out* of ventilators.

So, as a medic for 20 years and a current director of emergency management, and having just written the pandemic plan for my police department and city government, I am getting an H1N1 shot and a seasonal flu shot.

Remember, the plural of anecdote is NOT data.

Last edited:
You're playing the odds.

The risk of a severe adverse reaction to a vaccine is about 1 in 1 million.
The estimate is that 20% of the population will get H1N1, and the case fatality rate is about 1/10th of 1%.

Your odds of getting jacked by the vaccine: 1 : 1,000,000
Your odds of getting jacked by H1N1: 1 : 5,000

My immune system feels like a Chicago expressway. It is constantly being improved!!! I would just like to get the benefits of that improvement for a while without have to start on the next round of improvements! :wink2:

I feel like I've driven on a Chicago "expressway" every time I go through a new-and-improved TSA checkpoint. I'll be holding my ankles after the next improvement. :yikes:

IMHO: Wash your hands, keep a buffer between you and plague ridden individuals whenever possible, wash your hands, tell plague or sick behaving people to stay away from you until they get better, wash your hands, be aware of what you're handling and whether it's likely been handled by plague people, wash your hands. If too many people are coming in to work/school sick, call in sick for a couple days and enjoy a long weekend playing in the park, wash your hands, stay active thus more healty than sitting around all day. Don't live in a super sanitary world all your life - eating a cookie you dropped on the ground or accidentally swallowing half a river of water while swimming won't kill you. It just keeps the immune system operating and up to date. And did I mention washing your hands? Yea, do that too.

Common sense advice that works! It's what I do and while I may get the sniffles or a sore throat once in a while, I have never had the flu.

A lot of what people describe as "getting the flu" is actually a cold or other virus. Saying "I was sick for a couple days" tells me immediately that what you had was NOT influenza.
True influenza is a very nasty virus and will knock your ass down for a week or more.

H1N1 is not a scare. It is real, and it is attacking young (15-50), healthy adults. The hospitals and ICUs here are filling up, and the trajectory is worrisome, especially since we are not even into flu season yet.
In Australia (our summer, their winter and flu season), the country *ran out* of ventilators.

So, as a medic for 20 years and a current director of emergency management, and having just written the pandemic plan for my police department and city government, I am getting an H1N1 shot and a seasonal flu shot.

Remember, the plural of anecdote is NOT data.

LOL! "The H1N1's coming to get us all! Just like the Bird Flu!"

I hate to be jerky bout it, but seriously, its the flu. You get sick for a week, and then you get better.

I hate to be jerky bout it, but seriously, its the flu. You get sick for a week, and then you get better.

I'm not allowed to say how dumb some posts are by community acclimation, so all I can do is to tell anyone who reads this that it is massively uninformed. Influenza killed more soldiers in WWI than bullets and bombs. If you ever have an influenza virus infection you will know unequivocally, because you'll either die or think you're about to do so. The H1N1 strain is supposed to be a massively nasty strain of a disease that is nasty to begin with.

All that said, I don't work in the health field and don't find myself in cramped rooms with strangers very often. I do wash my hands very, very frequently. Those of you who fly airplanes for a living should be vaccinated immediately, you're sharing your air with Murphy-knows who. Anyone in the health care industry should be required by their employer to do so. If you find yourself frequently in cramped quarters with strangers, get a shot.

As said, you cannot get the flu from the vaccination. Odds are those claiming to have done so contracted a rhinovirus or picornovirus from the immediate environment, which is a lot, lot better than catching the flu.

As said, you cannot get the flu from the vaccination. Odds are those claiming to have done so contracted a rhinovirus or picornovirus from the immediate environment, which is a lot, lot better than catching the flu.
Agreed, you cannot GET flu from the vaccination. However, the whole point of the vaccination is to fool your body into believing you DID GET the flu. Many of the symptoms we have are actually our bodily response to the virus, including fever and runny nose. But it is mild to moderate and goes away once your body "defeats" the invading killed virus.

That said,
I'm not allowed to say how dumb some posts are by community acclimation, so all I can do is to tell anyone who reads this that it is massively uninformed. Influenza killed more soldiers in WWI than bullets and bombs. If you ever have an influenza virus infection you will know unequivocally, because you'll either die or think you're about to do so. The H1N1 strain is supposed to be a massively nasty strain of a disease that is nasty to begin with.

All that said, I don't work in the health field and don't find myself in cramped rooms with strangers very often. I do wash my hands very, very frequently. Those of you who fly airplanes for a living should be vaccinated immediately, you're sharing your air with Murphy-knows who. Anyone in the health care industry should be required by their employer to do so. If you find yourself frequently in cramped quarters with strangers, get a shot.

Agreed.

In addition, I will not be getting the H1N1 flu shot because of being in the age group that was exposed in the 1950s. I say exposed, but let me tell you, it was a horrible illness that totally incapacitated my entire family. Neighbors brought us food that we could not eat and washed our burning faces. Breathing was an enormous challenge that, sadly, some failed. I thought I would die and at times wanted to.

Back