Flu shot poll

Did you get a flu shot?

• I got a flu shot this year; within days I got sick (doesn't have to be flu - just ill)

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • I got a flu shot this year and feel great - no side effects

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • I got no flu shot at all

Votes: 45 75.0%

• Total voters
My spouse had it years ago, and they had to ice her down to reduce her fever. Whatever symptoms you get from a shot, if it reduces the risk of you getting the actual disease, it is well worth it.

A bad sign if you see this at the flu shot/clinic/Dr's Office

epic-fail-innoculation-fail.jpg

LOL! "The H1N1's coming to get us all! Just like the Bird Flu!"

I hate to be jerky bout it, but seriously, its the flu. You get sick for a week, and then you get better.
Sorry Nick, but you are being jerky about it.:mad3:
If by sick you mean totally unconscious in a hospital bed with a tube down your throat breathing for you, and by getting better you mean spending 5 weeks moving through a series of three hospitals and home care, then you're right.
I posted earlier about my friend who had it. He's my age, and was on a respirator for a couple of weeks, and unconscious for about a week. It was at least 6 weeks before he could work again, and that was from home. If that happens to some people, they may find themselves homeless when they're done because they've had no income, are stuck with massive medical bills, and may even have lost their job entirely.

Is everyone going to be hit so hard? No, but don't presume you won't be!

Sorry Nick, but you are being jerky about it.:mad3:
If by sick you mean totally unconscious in a hospital bed with a tube down your throat breathing for you, and by getting better you mean spending 5 weeks moving through a series of three hospitals and home care, then you're right.
I posted earlier about my friend who had it. He's my age, and was on a respirator for a couple of weeks, and unconscious for about a week. It was at least 6 weeks before he could work again, and that was from home. If that happens to some people, they may find themselves homeless when they're done because they've had no income, are stuck with massive medical bills, and may even have lost their job entirely.

It is unAmerican to get sick! I heard it on the TV news. :rolleyes:

I find it somewhat amusing and somehow think the health-care industry draws bullseyes around the bullet holes. Every year we are told that we must get a flu shot, especially those of us who are "high risk" (old guys).

Then last year they ran out of vaccine. So in the twinkling of an eye, the message changed to "well, if you're in good health you probably don't really need one anyway, so don't worry if you can't find anybody who can provide the vaccine."

Huh?

I find it somewhat amusing and somehow think the health-care industry draws bullseyes around the bullet holes. Every year we are told that we must get a flu shot, especially those of us who are "high risk" (old guys).

Then last year they ran out of vaccine. So in the twinkling of an eye, the message changed to "well, if you're in good health you probably don't really need one anyway, so don't worry if you can't find anybody who can provide the vaccine."

Huh?
Old folks panic easily?:rofl:

At the ASF meeting I was at Monday night, they introduced someone who had started a UFO club. Union of Flying Octogenarians!:D

I'm sorry to hear about your friend, Grant, but the advice should be "Most likely, you won't get the flu that bad. Some people have complications, however, so there is a small, remote chance that you might be bed bound, hospital bound, or possibly even die."

To scare people with "1 person almost died, so everyone can" is not good, and as previously indicated, there is nothing that says the flu shot will even prevent the current strain of the flu.

And, don't forget, that we had the same fears over Bird Flu, to the point of panic, and IIRC, no American died from it. I hate Chicken Little medicine, and that's what H1N1 is.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend, Grant, but the advice should be "Most likely, you won't get the flu that bad. Some people have complications, however, so there is a small, remote chance that you might be bed bound, hospital bound, or possibly even die."

To scare people with "1 person almost died, so everyone can" is not good, and as previously indicated, there is nothing that says the flu shot will even prevent the current strain of the flu.

And, don't forget, that we had the same fears over Bird Flu, to the point of panic, and IIRC, no American died from it. I hate Chicken Little medicine, and that's what H1N1 is.

Man, you still don't get it. The vast majority of people you know who got "the flu" weren't infected with an influenza virus. Those that were infected with an honest-to-Murphy influenza virus had an unforgettably unpleasant experience that might have had a closer approach to lethality than any of us would care to take.

The bird flu outbreak was a successful example of vaccination and prevention of disease spread. As it is, it killed hundreds overseas and sickened Murphy-only knows how many. It didn't hit here because we were proactive. That doesn't mean the next one won't.

Well, I just got a flu shot a couple of hours ago. Saturday I get to strap into an aluminum tube for a flight to San Francisco. So it's a forgone conclusion I'll get sick. Just don't know from what! :)

Well, I just got a flu shot a couple of hours ago. Saturday I get to strap into an aluminum tube for a flight to San Francisco. So it's a forgone conclusion I'll get sick. Just don't know from what! :)
Keep in mind it takes a week or two to develop antibodies from the shot. You are still vunerable to the same strains of live flu during this time as those used in the vaccine, although you may not get influenza as badly as without the vaccine.

Man, you still don't get it. The vast majority of people you know who got "the flu" weren't infected with an influenza virus. Those that were infected with an honest-to-Murphy influenza virus had an unforgettably unpleasant experience that might have had a closer approach to lethality than any of us would care to take.
I had it twice growing up -- and your pretty convinced you're going to die. I hope to never have to endure it again. It was not a short ordeal.

Well, I just got a flu shot a couple of hours ago.
So did I. I took my mom to get hers and I figured it was pretty hypocritical not to get one at the same time.

Saturday I get to strap into an aluminum tube for a flight to San Francisco. So it's a forgone conclusion I'll get sick. Just don't know from what! :)
I took the aluminum tube to SF last Saturday and I'm taking one back tomorrow. I've never noticed a correlation between travel and sickness though. It's been beautiful out here. Enjoy Fleet Week. I always seem to time my visits wrong and miss it.

I took the aluminum tube to SF last Saturday and I'm taking one back tomorrow. I've never noticed a correlation between travel and sickness though. It's been beautiful out here. Enjoy Fleet Week. I always seem to time my visits wrong and miss it.
Thanks. I hope to get to the Blue Angels on Saturday. After that, I'm going to be in the conference, so won't be able to enjoy any of it.

The bird flu outbreak was a successful example of vaccination and prevention of disease spread. As it is, it killed hundreds overseas and sickened Murphy-only knows how many. It didn't hit here because we were proactive. That doesn't mean the next one won't.

I had influenza as a child. It sucked, bad. It was diagnosed by a doctor, so I guess you can call him a liar if you want. I spend about 3 weeks in the most painful, ill state in my entire life, and it eventually went into pneumonia.

I lived. I guess I was one of the lucky ones?

LOL! "The H1N1's coming to get us all! Just like the Bird Flu!"

I hate to be jerky bout it, but seriously, its the flu. You get sick for a week, and then you get better.

I had influenza as a child. It sucked, bad. It was diagnosed by a doctor, so I guess you can call him a liar if you want. I spend about 3 weeks in the most painful, ill state in my entire life, and it eventually went into pneumonia.

I lived. I guess I was one of the lucky ones?
Who are you? And what have you done with Nick? Just trying to resolve these two.

Back