Flitecharts on G500 - yeah or nay?

Hang 4

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Hang 4
I recently got my IFR rating (yeay me!). I have a GTN650, G500 and an ipad with Garmin Pilot. I've been using the ipad for approach plates. Trying to figure if it's worth it to pay the extra for Flitecharts.

You get a free upgrade to Garmin Pilot Premium with the database subscription, which includes the plates. As best as I can figure, the only thing I get with flitecharts is the ability to see the plate on the G500. I have found them pretty difficult to read there, and hard to use, compared with the ipad. I'm tempted to not pay the extra $100 next renewal cycle.

Is there something I'm missing?

Congratulations on the instrument rating. Can you use it in the hang glider? :)

If you like using them on your iPad and have a plan to keep the iPad from failing, the $100 is probably better spent on iPad upgrades. I don't like looking down at a kneeboard, whether it's paper or an iPad, because doing so messes with my instrument scan. I do like my iPad Mini on the yoke mount, but if I were flying approaches in turbulence all the time that would also have shortcomings. I'm building an RV-14 so I won't have a yoke anymore but I will have the G3X Touch panel, and I'm curious to see if I like using the charts from the G3X or not. I think this is definitely a topic where personal preferences vary. (For example, I switched from Foreflight to Garmin Pilot to get used to the ecosystem while I finish building the plane. So far, my personal preferences lean toward Foreflight.)

So I have a dual screen legacy G3X panel (IOW non-touch) with a GTN 650 so have basically the same capability as you do with the G500. I have FliteCharts on the G3X plus geo-referenced plates via GarminPilot on my iPad. Personally I prefer looking at the plates on the iPad as it's easier to zoom in and out/pan if need be than on the MFD I tend to keep a moving map on the MFD, plus it frees up the MFD to look at other things if necessary. Note: the G3X touch with 10" displays with Flite Charts also displays actual Sectionals/IFR Enroutes in addition to plates which the non-touch doesn't. If I had a G3X touch with the larger screen I might use it more than the iPad.

Congratulations on the instrument rating. Can you use it in the hang glider? :)

My one inadvertent VMC to IMC experience was hang gliding, got sucked into a cloud. Came out banked 45 degrees, not a fun experience or one I wish to repeat.

Like you, I have a mini on a yoke mount. The resolution on the G500 is not that great, and manipulating the plate with Garmin Knobology isn't as easy as the ipad. I basically can't read the plate details un-zoomed, and once I zoom, it's hard to position the plate with the knobs. I think some of the newer MFD's have much better resolution (G500 txi and G3X) so maybe it's a better option.

Thanks for both replies, just trying to figure if there was some big Gotcha I was missing.

My one inadvertent VMC to IMC experience was hang gliding, got sucked into a cloud. Came out banked 45 degrees, not a fun experience or one I wish to repeat.

Like you, I have a mini on a yoke mount. The resolution on the G500 is not that great, and manipulating the plate with Garmin Knobology isn't as easy as the ipad. I basically can't read the plate details un-zoomed, and once I zoom, it's hard to position the plate with the knobs. I think some of the newer MFD's have much better resolution (G500 txi and G3X) so maybe it's a better option.

Thanks for both replies, just trying to figure if there was some big Gotcha I was missing.
While I was designing my panel, I printed an approach plate at the scale it would be if 100% of it were visible on the large-size portrait G3X Touch display, then taped it to the to-scale picture of the display, then taped that to my mock-up instrument panel, and sat in the plane for a while. Assuming the G3X Touch resolution is perfect, it is going to have to be fairly responsive to pinch-to-zoom and touch-to-scroll commands to be useful. I have to lean forward to read it when 100% in view and the layout of approach plates (frequencies on top, minimums on bottom) means I'll be scrolling up and down a lot when it's zoomed in.

That said, I have been experimenting with life without the yoke mount. I have a 10.5" iPad Pro with the Pencil and have used it in flight a couple of times. Depending on how that works out in the new plane, I may get a new iPad Mini with Pencil support or just keep the iPad Pro.

Does the Garmin Pilot discount get you the full premium app without additional charge if you get the G500 database subscription, or is it just a discount so you get the premium app at the standard price?

Does the Garmin Pilot discount get you the full premium app without additional charge if you get the G500 database subscription, or is it just a discount so you get the premium app at the standard price?

You pay full price for the base Garmin Pilot subscription, the upgrade to premium is free. I believe you have to get either a Onepak or a Pilot Pak to get the GP premium for free. It's normally $75. What's in premium is below;

U.S. Premium Upgrade
  • Color-coded terrain awareness display
  • Terrain & Obstacle Alerts
  • SafeTaxi (Geo-referenced taxi diagrams)
  • Icing Forecast (Apple® devices only)
  • Synthetic Vision (Apple devices only)
  • FliteCharts (Geo-referenced terminal procedures, airport diagrams)

I have a dual 10" touch G3X setup, along with a GTN 650. I prefer to view and utilize the charts on my MFD vs fiddling with an Ipad. I have no issues reading or manipulating the charts.

I fly a 414 with a G600 and a 414A with a G600TXi. I do not have FlightCharts on the 600 and do on the TXi. Occasionally I’ll look at the plates on FlightCharts enroute for planning. The resolution is great and it’s easy to move around the plate with the touchscreen. However for the approach itself I have the plate locked on my iPad on my knee. And I don’t miss not have it at all on the legacy G600. In my opinion, save your money.

Last edited:
I have a dual 10" touch G3X setup, along with a GTN 650. I prefer to view and utilize the charts on my MFD vs fiddling with an Ipad. I have no issues reading or manipulating the charts.

thats because you have a 10.4 inch touch screen. Using a rocker switch and joystick on the non-touch G3X to manipulate the plate is a lot more cumbersome.

On my 10+7 G3x Touch, I find myself using the charts on the screen. I like the live georeferencing and easy access. That said, I greatly prefer Jeppesen and have those on my iPad, so I'll usually reference those when briefing an unfamiliar approach. You can order Jeppesen charts for G3x, but it's an unnecessary added cost.

Back