Flight shaming due to carbon footprint

Status
Not open for further replies.
Instead, I'll

1. Not eat steak (I don't enjoy them)
2. Drive less (I got a job working from home, so no commute for me. I've driven less than 500 miles in the last 3 months)
3. I'll keep my tires inflated
4. Use a programmable thermostat
5. Won't buy "fast fashion"
6. Use a laptop instead of a desktop
7. Turn off light bulbs when not in use
8. Mind my own business and not tell other people how to spend their money

I’m doing my part by burning mogas in my O-200 instead of that poisonous leaded stuff.

Instead, I'll

2. Drive less (I got a job working from home, so no commute for me. I've driven less than 500 miles in the last 3 months)

I’m in agreement with 2 - 8.

I must question #1. Are you serious?!

I'm a vegetarian, I walk to work, on the rare occasions when I drive I either take a motorcycle or a very fuel efficient car. Even my airplane gets better mileage than most cars.

It’ll be interesting when people begin to discover the carbon footprint necessary just to live their lives as they do today.

Anxiously awaiting those people to shun electricity and modern building materials.

It's something I think about from time to time. It would obviously be impossible to live/work in modern society without leaving some kind of footprint, but at least this is a topic that has greater awareness now than say 20 years ago. I rode my electric bike to work today...that counts for something, right? ;)

My Mooney really doesn't do that much worse than my old SUV(16 MPG on the plane and 18-20 on the SUV, Statute Miles)... My new Truck beats them both though(25-30)

Everybody’s got their religion. Some people just try to convert others by force.
Ain't religion, just cold hard fact. Folks don't really cotton to facts they don't like anymore, welcome to the modern age. At least the rising seas won't flood Wichita.

Instead, I'll

You don't eat steak? WTF we going to do when you come to Tucson then? Plus, what is "fast fashion?"

You don't eat steak? WTF we going to do when you come to Tucson then? Plus, what is "fast fashion?"
I eat beef, just not steak. Love Mexican.

Fast fashion is something I found on a quick google of "how to reduce your carbon footprint" AKA: I have no idea, but I"m 100% certain I don't buy it.

I know a great Mexican place. Matter of fact, I just took @Dave Theisen there yesterday. However, when the check came he knocked my drink in my lap to distract me from picking it up.

Okay, that last part isn't exactly true but as my guest, I did intend to pick up the check.

Looking at it in perspective, using rough numbers....

Greenhouse gases by economic sector (All transportation is 26%) for the year shown.

By Economic Sector.jpg

Just looking at transportation, commercial aircraft is only %7 of the above, for the year shown.

Transportation.jpg

I think we have other places to look at before commercial flying.

Ain't religion, just cold hard fact. Folks don't really cotton to facts they don't like anymore, welcome to the modern age. At least the rising seas won't flood Wichita.

Climate change is real. It's been changing for the entire billions of years history of the planet. Man made? That's the debatable part. And I live on salt water. Haven't seen a change in the 23 years we've lived here. (Other than the constant changing of the tides, that is.)

Climate change is real. It's been changing for the entire billions of years history of the planet. Man made? That's the debatable part. And I live on salt water. Haven't seen a change in the 23 years we've lived here. (Other than the constant changing of the tides, that is.)
I think the effect is different for different locations. But even if man is partially responsible, I don't see that our efforts are going to change things back to the way they were at some earlier, "better" time. I have always thought the best thing to do is react, and adapt, to whatever change is coming.

It’ll be interesting when people begin to discover the carbon footprint necessary just to live their lives as they do today.

Anxiously awaiting those people to shun electricity and modern building materials.
I can't live off the grid! No POA would kill most of us!

What, exactly, is cold, hard fact? That the ice age was caused by not enough airplanes?

What, exactly, is cold, hard fact? That the ice age was caused by not enough airplanes?
The Earth is warming, better get used to it. Ever climate scientist worth his or her salt will tell you the causative factor is anthropogenic CO2 production. Doesn't really matter anymore though. CO2 emissions aren't going down anywhere. The effect is here already, glaciers are melting, seas are rising. We're in the age of climate change whether or not you like it.

The Earth is warming, better get used to it. Ever climate scientist worth his or her salt will tell you the causative factor is anthropogenic CO2 production. Doesn't really matter anymore though. CO2 emissions aren't going down anywhere. The effect is here already, glaciers are melting, seas are rising. We're in the age of climate change whether or not you like it.
Oh...so what’s “not religion” is something entirely different than what I was referring to. Gotcha.

Ditto me too. I have not seen an iota of change in 18 yrs of watching the same tide gauge.

OK, then, I don't care. Moving on.

Depends on how you define the mileage. I bet it gets pretty good dog miles per gallon. LOL

Yeah, if you figure 5 nmpg and 35 dogs, 175 nmpdg! (nautical miles per dog gallon)

Although if you were going to do that you'd also have to look at the dead head legs and factory that in, but it still is pretty decent. Same thing when you look at a commercial airliner, of course.

Flight shaming has never crossed my mind and I doubt it ever will change my mind.........

Ever climate scientist worth his or her salt will tell you the causative factor is anthropogenic CO2 production.

False. Judith Curry will tell that it is but one factor, and a small one at that.

Our society has made great strides in fighting emissions. Airliners are incredibly efficient these days, achieving as high as 80 seat mpg on trans-Atlantic flights. Zero emissions ICE cars today actually clean the air as they pass through the bigger cities like Los Angeles, etc. A more worrisome development according to the above pie chart is production of electricity...which makes one wonder why the push for electric cars. Imagine a world where everyone plugs their car/truck/airplane in the wall every night. Electricity has to come from somewhere!
Politics has a lot to do with how people perceive and react to information and politicians are the worst when it comes to knee-jerk reactions. They want to please you at any cost (something to do with keeping their “phoney-baloney” jobs as Mel Brooks stated so eloquently). So the biggest blowhards in Washington will set the course of your life whether it makes sense or not.
We’ve had ice ages in the past long before the first Model A Ford ever hit the streets. And we will have another one regardless of our best efforts, guaranteed. It just the natural cycle of planet earth, so enjoy the ride!

A more worrisome development according to the above pie chart is production of electricity...which makes one wonder why the push for electric cars. Imagine a world where everyone plugs their car/truck/airplane in the wall every night. Electricity has to come from somewhere!

Actually, that by itself that's not necessarily too bad given the efficiency of power generation stations vs. internal combustion engines and also the fact that you're mostly charging at non-peak hours (nighttime) when we have excess/wasted capacity.

I remember reading during my HVAC class that something on the order of 30-50% of electricity produced was for HVAC. So to me that shows a low hanging fruit to look at, along with focusing on how to continually make power generation stations more efficient.

I am having enchiladas for lunch. I am sure that I will be doing something later this afternoon that will cause global change, or at least some kind of change in my house that my wife will complain about.....

I just wanted to share that and get IBTL...

I read along time ago that 10 speed bikes and jumbo jets tie for the best energy efficiency. No references to prove it.

Also, CO2 concentration in the atmosphere is a function of the global temperature, not the reverse. What goes flatter first, an open bottle of soda(pop) in the refrigerator, or the same bottle of soda(pop) sitting on the counter at 70 degrees, or so? The bottle on the counter, of course. The same goes for CO2 dissolved in the ocean.

When you have more clouds, you have less sunlight reaching the surface and warming the planet, plus more rain, all of which cools the planet. And, when you have fewer clouds, more sun hits the surface, and you have less rain, both of which warms the planet.

Clouds form when you have condensation centers. The more condensation centers you have, the more clouds you have. Cosmic rays create condensation centers when they hit particles in the atmosphere and split them into pieces. The more cosmic rays you have, the more condensation
centers you have, the more clouds you have, and the cooler the earth. The fewer condensation centers, the warmer the earth.

The Earth is surrounded by the Van Allen Radiation belts. These belts are a shield against cosmic rays. The more they are charged, the better they shield, and fewer cosmic rays get through, so there are fewer clouds so the Earth warms up.

Sun spots charge the Van Allen Radiation belts, so the more sun spots there are, the more the belts are charged, the fewer cosmic rays get through, and the fewer clouds there are, the warmer the Earth. The sun spots change polarity every 10 years, so a full sunspot cycle is 20 years. That's the base cycle. There are other cycles superimposed on the base, so sometimes the sunspot number peak is greater than average, and sometimes smaller.

When there are few sunspots, the Van Allen belts let more cosmic rays through, so we get more clouds, and a cooler Earth. The last I heard, last year, was that the sun spot number was even less than it was during the Maunder minimum. This is just anecdotal, so it's not data, but CA had a late spring, and KS had major flooding, as observed by several of my siblings. The Conservation Core dam(n) on our place was a few feet from going through the emergency spillway, and that's the first time that has happened since it was built in the early 70's.

Last I heard, satellite data showed the Earth hadn't warmed for at least 10 years, and might be slowly cooling.

IBTL!

Last edited:
I know a great Mexican place. Matter of fact, I just took @Dave Theisen there yesterday. However, when the check came he knocked my drink in my lap to distract me from picking it up.

Okay, that last part isn't exactly true but as my guest, I did intend to pick up the check.

Of course I was going to grab the check. Between the beers on the first day and the the flight to the breakfast fly-in, your generosity was much appreciated. But after reading the above article, I guess I should feel guilty that I asked yo to take the scenic route............wait........I’m over it. :)

I'm waiting for the big scandal to break on lithium battery recycling/disposal. Wouldn't be at all surprised to find out 30 years from now that lithium technology results in environmental disasters many times worse than lead paint, asbestos, and spent nuclear fuel rods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back