Flight school names

Since it is a small outfit for the foreseeable future you might want to shy away from having “Aviation” in the name. People may think of it as a charter or maintenance outfit or whatever and not bother picking up the phone.

Greensboro Flight School
Or something similar.

or <something> Flight Training Center

Since it is a small outfit for the foreseeable future you might want to shy away from having “Aviation” in the name. People may think of it as a charter or maintenance outfit or whatever and not bother picking up the phone.

Greensboro Flight School
Or something similar.
Understand the concern for Aviation in the name of a flight school, but if he should ever expand and decide to run charter flights himself, or do something beside teach students, he can do it without starting a whole new LLC . . . he may decide to go with "Flight School," we'll see.

What about Greensboro Aviation? I did a quick Google search and I don’t see any other places with that name.
Thanks for the suggestion. I was just trying to stay away from a geographic name, but I'll pass the idea along to him.

I do market research / marketing consulting for a living - been doing it for 35 years

What are you buying? Assets, sure. But that is not the true value of the company. You are buying future cash flow and profits from an existing company. You are in large part buying the awareness and more importantly the brand equity of the business name - how well it is known to the market.

Therefore - don’t change the name. It makes no business sense - and in effect reduces the value of of what you’re paying for.

And require the current owners sell the name rights with the sale of the company.

I do market research / marketing consulting for a living - been doing it for 35 years

What are you buying? Assets, sure. But that is not the true value of the company. You are buying future cash flow and profits from an existing company. You are in large part buying the awareness and more importantly the brand equity of the business name - how well it is known to the market.

Therefore - don’t change the name. It makes no business sense - and in effect reduces the value of of what you’re paying for.

And require the current owners sell the name rights with the sale of the company.
Thanks. The thing is, the current owner has never marketed the business under the name itself. He just used the name for legal purposes, so retaining the existing name isn't really beneficial or detrimental.

Understand the concern for Aviation in the name of a flight school, but if he should ever expand and decide to run charter flights himself, or do something beside teach students, he can do it without starting a whole new LLC . . . he may decide to go with "Flight School," we'll see.

so... like a dba/fictitious name statement?

Well, his high school's mascot was Phoenix, so . . . Phoenix Aviation?
I took some lessons at a flight school called "Phoenix Aviation", only they were in St. Louis...

JetStar Aviation Academy

Andromeda Starflight Academy.

Evel Knievel Flight Academy

Greensboro Flight Academy

AAAA Flight School. Let 4A be your foray into flying....

so... like a dba/fictitious name statement?
I think he wants to use the name for marketing purposes, but the existing name hasn't been marketed, so that's not a factor. He wants a new name with his new start, not for any other reason.

Thanks. The thing is, the current owner has never marketed the business under the name itself. He just used the name for legal purposes, so retaining the existing name isn't really beneficial or detrimental.
You don’t think keeping the name is detrimental, I suggest keeping it will help, and changing will cost money. Trade mark name search, legal registration, internal signage, web site re do, accounting, banking, etc etc etc. Why do you want your change it?

Last edited:
High Wings Low Rates
172 Reaons2Fly
HowToFly
Wife Approved Aviation
MachPointZero

That will attract to many kids with a sim that think it’s online training.
Yessir, that was said tongue-in-cheek, but sarcasm doesn't carry well in the written word. Like was mentioned previously, "rising from ashes" is probably not a good inference for a flight school.

Part the the cost of changing names. You have to pay legal fees to do a trademark search. Even if the the name is for another business.

How about “Big Bird Primary Flight School”? You can paint the planes yellow, put large single digit numbers on the vertical stabilizers so you can count them as the go fly. “1” plane leaving, “2” plane leaving, etc. Burt and Ernie ground school. Oscar the Grouch maintenance guy.

How about “Big Bird Primary Flight School”? You can paint the planes yellow, put large single digit numbers on the vertical stabilizers so you can count them as the go fly. “1” plane leaving, “2” plane leaving, etc. Burt and Ernie ground school. Oscar the Grouch maintenance guy.
Only if you want PBS suing you for copyright infringement, lol.

ACME Flight School
Wile E. Coyote, Chief Pilot and Proprietor

we1.jpg

It's a bit esoteric, but Aeolus was a Greek god of the winds. Aeolus [Aviation, Flight Academy, Flying School]. The "A" puts it near the top of phone book listings.

Cheaper Flight School. Come down and see us, we're Cheaper!

American Skyforce Aviation. Preparing you for the future. (Implying "Space Force")

I can lease him the name I used years ago:

"Legally High" :dunno:

Flight Academy of America

It's a bit esoteric, but Aeolus was a Greek god of the winds. Aeolus [Aviation, Flight Academy, Flying School]. The "A" puts it near the top of phone book listings.
Sounds too much like Areola. Don’t be a boob.

Reactions: WDD
Back